Fair and Balanced Gameplay

Hrathen

So I recently beat all three paths of FE Fates. Had a lot of genuine fun, cried at bs rng, laughed at Azama, even spent like 4 hours in one run to try and level up the villager and then realized it wasnt worth it. Needless to say, it has been a journey.

Most recently I began a new playthrough on Birthright hard. Hard because Im not going through lunatic levels of reinforcements again and Birthright,because I want to recruit several copies of characters like Yukimura for my logbook. Of course after enduring more fates than reinforcements on lunatic, I wanted a fresh experience.

So it was, wishing for more variety, that I decided that on this run I would exclusively use one class. My (unfortuneately) favorite class in all of Fire Emblem. A class I spent an unhealthy number of hours grinding to simply make feasible and an unpleasant number of restarts to save in FE Shadow dragon. I am of course referring to the Ballistician (now with extra tank!).

I essentially used the mycastle to recruit a stupid powerful Xander and proceeded to clear Ballistician Blitz some 2 dozen times. I set the rule I may use 5 non ballisticans, but they must weild bows and that all male units must be promoted to Ballistician asap. This means Hayato sucks even more than usual.

The first few chapters were interesting, but at chaprter 10 I noticed a discrepencie. It was as if the game wasnt balanced around the player's team having only archers?! Weird right? The enemy Ninja, if they got too close would devestate my tanks, I mean Ballistae. Likewise, the player phase decimated all enemy units. My low movement and defense created an interesting dynamic which revolved around baiting the enemy and punishing with my full pachyderm might.A lternatively it was a never ending stuggle to prevent my units from being one round ko'd.

Seriously though, I just had a blast being frustrated while at the same time pleased with the silly results of my holy army of the Fuijin Tankumi.

I thought it would be fun to read other peoples experiences of breaking the game with class issolation or really anything funny at all, especially in regards to challeng like runs.

I do love this game and I grudgingly enjoy the dlc, but why oh why, can I beat this game using my (unfortuneately) favorite, weak ass, store brand armor knight, knock off archer, gimmicky, situtational, gets doubled by enemy generals and inadvertantly sets all units weapon rank to E class!?

please tell me about you own thoughts or experience, Im dying to know what everyone else is doing.

I started a Revelations Hard game with the intent to only use Ninja. I eventually stopped because it was boring as heck. I was tempted to do a Witch Coven run, but I suspect that would be just as silly as the ninja.

I've got a Lunatic Birthright run going with a +HP, -Spd Knight Avatar, which obviously sounds like a terrible idea, right?

So, when I get to Ch. 15, there's a big open field filled with about 30 Cavaliers, a few Paladins, and a couple Outlaws. So, as a joke, I decided to give my avatar a Guard Naginata, pair him up with Caeldori (who, among other things, gave him +3 Spd / Def / Res), and plop him right in the middle of the field. Alone. Turns out, he was able to solo (besides paired-up Caeldori) the entire map, minus a few of the Zerkers. Went from a Lv. 15 Knight to a Lv. 5 General.

So, simply put, there's a very good reason why Birthright should not have Knights. Ever.

I'm planning to eventually do Reverse Class Conquest where every character must Heart Seal to their alt class as soon as they're recruited but that'll require doing gold DLC solely for purchasing Heart Seals and I've been too lazy to start. Probably with a rule that Corrin must be something silly like a Monk.

You know, "In chapter 7, our defenseless Monk lord and his awkwardly-statted Bow Knight companion Felicia are joined by Elise, a Wyvern Knight with no Strength; Effie, a Troubador with all the Strength; Arthur, a half-decent Cavalier; and Silas, a promising Mercenary."

Using almost exclusively ballisticians? That one class that functions significantly differently from every other class in FE history? ...You seem to have a mind for pushing this game to its limits.

And, while I am currently completing Revelation-vanilla, you give me hope that an entire Butler/Maid run of Conquest/Revelation might be within the realm of possibility.

You know, "In chapter 7, our defenseless Monk lord and his awkwardly-statted Bow Knight companion Felicia are joined by Elise, a Wyvern Knight with no Strength; Effie, a Troubador with all the Strength; Arthur, a half-decent Cavalier; and Silas, a promising Mercenary."

That sounds like a hilarious and retarded spin off. LETS DO IT!

I would actually love to see that on vid.

I'm planning to eventually do Reverse Class Conquest where every character must Heart Seal to their alt class as soon as they're recruited but that'll require doing gold DLC solely for purchasing Heart Seals and I've been too lazy to start. Probably with a rule that Corrin must be something silly like a Monk.

Haha this sounds like fun actually, might try it myself some day XD (I really wish other people can give you money or items when they visit...)

At least you'll have a good Odin! (<3 Swordmaster Odin). What about promoted units like Leo or Camilla? Do you get to pick which of their Heart Seals to use? Strategist Leo would be more useful, but Butler Leo looks better!

My rule would be you can pick either class of their alt set, but you can't change it. So Camilla can immediately change to a Sorcerer or Dark Knight but she cannot change between them after that. Likewise you can promote people either way but they have to stay there. People are allowed to keep whatever skills they get from their base class though but you have to Heart Seal them immediately; they can't see combat until they've switched over. So Beruka gets to be a Fighter with Strength +2 (and is also one of the few characters to keep their weapon rank).

As for Corrin I'd say any secondary class is OK as long as it can't use the Yato.

I decided to play Birthright Hard with an all ninja team. No healers; yes, even ninja!Sakura! Needless to say, locking myself without healing made the difficulty way harder, but otherwise Ninjas are a super versatile class that could destroy anything.

Also there was that thread earlier about the Wyvern!Conquest only play through. Must be fun fighting Takumi, huh?

Edited by Iris