More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

Main story!Xander is more reasonable than people give him credit for. You can justify the way he believes in Garon (and doesn't grow skeptical until the last arc in Conquest) over the crop plot point that somehow is never brought up in Conquest.

Edited by Gradivus.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main story!Xander is more reasonable than people give him credit for. You can justify the way he believes in Garon (and doesn't grow skeptical until the last arc in Conquest) over the crop plot point that somehow is never brought up in Conquest.

It's only mentioned in passing in Birthright. You'd think it would be discussed in greater detail if the writers wanted to frame that as his primary motivation. I don't think Xander ever explains himself beyond "muh loyalty" and "Evil Dad couldn't possibly be evil!" In Revelation, Xander doesn't defect until Garon gives a literal "Btw I'm evil mu ha ha ha" speech.

I remain partial to my interpretation. I'm aware that the writing doesn't frame it like that.

Edited by Gradivus.

It's only mentioned in passing in Birthright. You'd think it would be discussed in greater detail if the writers wanted to frame that as his primary motivation. I don't think Xander ever explains himself beyond "muh loyalty" and "Evil Dad couldn't possibly be evil!" In Revelation, Xander doesn't defect until Garon gives a literal "Btw I'm evil mu ha ha ha" speech.

Their's this thing called "Death of the Author" which I feel applies here, Gradivus' interpatation of Fates' plot, Xander's actions in particular here, is just as valid as yours. If that's how he interprets Xander's actions, then by all means, let him.

Their's this thing called "Death of the Author" which I feel applies here, Gradivus' interpatation of Fates' plot, Xander's actions in particular here, is just as valid as yours. If that's how he interprets Xander's actions, then by all means, let him.

I wasn't bothered by Xander nearly as much as people said either. Xander is older, so there was possibly a time where Garon was a really nice guy. Elise x Leo supports actually addresses this as well. I'll grant you that this would work a bit better if the ages had the brothers being older than the sisters, as Camilla's life seems to have really sucked while Leo said that Garon was pretty awesome when he was younger. But the point still stands. And it also works, because you can't just "betray your country" because the other country thinks it's right (or more specifically, your country is wrong). TBH, if Xander instantly defected in Birthright, and lived and was crowned afterward, I can't imagine him living long.

What I'd expect is a something like Tactics Ogre:

Tactics Ogre "didn't save Catiua" style ending where you don't have enough chaos frame and you get assassinated immediately upon being crowned king

I honestly wouldn't see Xander living very long.

Rend's Unpopular Opinions FE4 edition.

The marriage system is the worst in the series, good for it's time though.
The holy weapons are not broken.

Azel X Raquesis is a good pairing.

The final chapter is one of the best in the series but the final boss sucks.
Chapter 7 has terrible level design, almost as bad as some of the bad chapter in Revelations.
Chapter 4 is the best Gen 1 Map.
Mahnya's death was handled much better than 90%of the deaths in Awakening and Fates combined.
Noish and Alec are the worst red/green knights ever.
Johalvier is a good unit.
Units having their own gold is a good idea.
Corpul is worse than Amelia in FE8.
Bows are actually very good in this game.
Seliph is not a bad lord.
Sigurd X Deirdre is just as bad as Chrom X Sumia.

Not sure if these are unpopular or not.

The holy weapons are not broken

I think they are. If a unit has a holy weapon and the other unit hasn't then the unit without the holy weapon has no chance to beat him.

My opinion is that its a pretty good thing the Holy weapons are broken. They are supposed to be divine weapons that only a select group of blessed people can use so of course they are broken. They are legendary weapons that clearly live up to the legendary part.

Its broken by design, to help tell a story and to confirm to the rules that the lore lays down.

It's a public forum, we're supposed to engage and discuss each others' opinions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but some theories are better supported than others. There's no point to discussion if all theories are equally valid, regardless of evidence. I like to imagine the Hoshido/Nohr conflict is more nuanced than "Evil nation invades good nation" but I can acknowledge that the game does little to suggest that.

I wasn't bothered by Xander nearly as much as people said either. Xander is older, so there was possibly a time where Garon was a really nice guy. Elise x Leo supports actually addresses this as well. I'll grant you that this would work a bit better if the ages had the brothers being older than the sisters, as Camilla's life seems to have really sucked while Leo said that Garon was pretty awesome when he was younger. But the point still stands. And it also works, because you can't just "betray your country" because the other country thinks it's right (or more specifically, your country is wrong). TBH, if Xander instantly defected in Birthright, and lived and was crowned afterward, I can't imagine him living long.

I honestly wouldn't see Xander living very long.

It depends on how the common people see Garon. If a lot of people were dissatisfied with his rule (we have at least Cheve and the Ice Tribe to suggest this), dethroning Garon could be seen as a liberation. HERE is where we can rev up our headcanons because we know very little about the public opinion of Garon.

Edited by NekoKnight

It depends on how the common people see Garon. If a lot of people were dissatisfied with his rule (we have at least Cheve and the Ice Tribe to suggest this), dethroning Garon could be seen as a liberation. HERE is where we can rev up our headcanons because we know very little about the public opinion of Garon.

This is true. And I'd have to wager that most saw him as at least "not terrible enough to rebel against" as it's hard to imagine there not being more public outcry against Corrin him/herself as you progress through the game. We get rebellions, but the thing is, is that the rebellions seem like they are more recent as opposed to something that's been going on for an extended period of time. The only real thing we get against that notion is from Fiora, who sort of implies (her dialogue stammers I mean) that she never supported Corrin. But Felicia also pushes towards the opposite notion where she's completely taken aback by Fiora's actions, so we get nothing definitive.

I actually agree with this, but yes, its hella unpopular.

This is true. And I'd have to wager that most saw him as at least "not terrible enough to rebel against" as it's hard to imagine there not being more public outcry against Corrin him/herself as you progress through the game. We get rebellions, but the thing is, is that the rebellions seem like they are more recent as opposed to something that's been going on for an extended period of time. The only real thing we get against that notion is from Fiora, who sort of implies (her dialogue stammers I mean) that she never supported Corrin. But Felicia also pushes towards the opposite notion where she's completely taken aback by Fiora's actions, so we get nothing definitive.

Even in Conquest, Xander kills his father and takes the throne of Nohr. It's not like anyone is going to believe the story that "Garon was actually a goo monster trying to destroy the world". Either people supported Xander's coronation or they didn't care enough to resist.

These are the epilogue quotes for Xander. Make of them what you will:

Single

"King Xander helped usher in a new era of peace. While he ruled justly, his radical policies were unpopular with much of the population. Scholars admit this was necessary for the era of growth that followed."

Paired

"As King of Nohr, Xander laid the foundation for a new era of peace and prosperity for the kingdom."

Edited by NekoKnight

Fire Emblem Fates is a great game. All 3 paths.

The Ninian x Eliwood Ending in 7 is perfect the way it is, and not too corny.

I hate Fire Emblem 4's Map-Design and the whole battle system in general.

Fire Emblem 2 is nearly unplayable and everyone who says it's his favourite game in the whole series just tries too hard to be unique.

Kana > Morgan.

Edited by Saoru

I think they are. If a unit has a holy weapon and the other unit hasn't then the unit without the holy weapon has no chance to beat him.

My opinion is that its a pretty good thing the Holy weapons are broken. They are supposed to be divine weapons that only a select group of blessed people can use so of course they are broken. They are legendary weapons that clearly live up to the legendary part.

Its broken by design, to help tell a story and to confirm to the rules that the lore lays down.

They way I see Holy Weapons is that I think they are on the same level of fairness as some of the Mega Evolutions in Pokemon. You can only use around a handful of them, one of them cannot be used to attack, two of them you only get very close to the end game, only 2.5 of them can attack in 1-2 ranges (I said 2.5 because Book of Naga is a range attack but can only be used at the end of the last chapter), they can break, repairing them is expensive as hell and the enemy will have units that use their own Holy Weapons too.

Yes, I will admit sending Sety to fight a pack of low level Dracoknights in Chapter 9 is overkill but if the enemy army is going to send their Holy Weapon users, then I should have to will to send mines too if I have any.

-FE 12 has the best level design in the series

-Fatigue should be brought back in the new games

-FOW FE 5-12 was way better than FOW in Revelations

-Capturing's iteration in Fates sucks big time

-Revelations chapter's are fun (only if you are shit-faced drunk with a bunch of buddies playing elevator music during Sumeragi's chapter)

-Gaiden was the most innovative game in the series

-Catria is better than Palla in FE 12 (atleast in H1 and H2)

-Brighton is the most underappreciated character in the entire series

-Manster chapters were the best part of FE 5

-Valm arc was the best Arc in awakening (gameplay wise)

-Tharja sucks as a character and as a unit

-Canto should burn in hell

-Swordmasters are overrated

- I dislike mounts and flying units ( with one sole exception being Elincia ).

- Myrmidons/Swordmasters are indeed overated ( even though my favourite character is a SM ) with Joshua/Mia being the most overated of the bunch.

- Ike should never have been the main lord. Also, he's overated as heck, both as a unit and as a character. Same deal with Ephriam.

- Lolis/shota units need to die in a fire. I don't want to be fielding young children, even if it was the norm back in the Middle Ages.

- Not a single FE game is well-written in terms of its general pace and narrative structure. FE9 is extremely mediocre imho (anime clichefest).

- I used to like Lyn, but her fanboys destroyed her for me.

- Most units, even the well-written ones, are either one-dimensional or static. Then again, FE isn't known for stellar writing.

- I like using pre-promotes, especially the bad ones. Lucia is still my favourite pre-promo in the series.

- I tend to use units based off personality + looks. Stats are secondary.

- Shipping wars are stupid.

- RD!Ike isn't a hunk. Something about his perpetual frown is a huge turn off for me. I like guys who smile.

Also, FE7 Pre-Promotes are ALL good

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion. I can't think of a prepromote in FE7 off-hand that people hate, and everybody loves Pent.

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion. I can't think of a prepromote in FE7 off-hand that people hate, and everybody loves Pent.

Well for bad prepromote's there is Wallace (as much as I love Wallace he is not good) and Karla... and that is all really.

I mean Renault has staff utility, and the rest are generally considered good, but really FE 7 just has a general useful cast.

Well for bad prepromote's there is Wallace (as much as I love Wallace he is not good) and Karla... and that is all really.

I mean Renault has staff utility, and the rest are generally considered good, but really FE 7 just has a general useful cast.

Wallace is okay in hard mode, when he's not forced to promote early.

I love how everyone literally just forgot Isadora, the premium case of a bad FE7 prepromote. Not bad for a Midia expy, I admit.

Eh, I wouldn't say Isadora is bad. She just probably won't be at the same level as Sain, or Kent or Lowen, if you decided to use them. But if you hadn't used any of the horseback units, and then decided to use her, she's a fine unit to use. Just give her the Angelic Robe she comes with and she should be fine.

My unpopular opinions for today:

-I think Lowen is better than Kent and Sain (mainly due to my own experience, though).

-Bird transformations are the superior beast forms. ALL HAIL NAESALA!

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Renault, I forgot about Renault, he's still good, he's probably the weakest unit in FE7 though

Karla is good, but Guy and Karel are better, Guy because Myrmidon, and Karel because availability

Wallace is okay in hard mode, when he's not forced to promote early.

I love how everyone literally just forgot Isadora, the premium case of a bad FE7 prepromote. Not bad for a Midia expy, I admit.

Eh, I wouldn't say Isadora is bad. She just probably won't be at the same level as Sain, or Kent or Lowen, if you decided to use them. But if you hadn't used any of the horseback units, and then decided to use her, she's a fine unit to use. Just give her the Angelic Robe she comes with and she should be fine.

Isadora isn't bad, she has good stats

Wallace IS NOT a pre-promote since he starts as a Knight, the game just forces you to use the Knight Crest in LNM

Isn't there a bug that causes Wallace to always be a General in Hector/Eliwood mode?

I've always gone the Linus route because I hate underleveled lords, but that's what I heard.

Same for me. The only time I've ever gotten Wallace was the first time I played FE7 and didn't know what I was doing