More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

Alright here is mine:(don't know if they are all unpopular.)

FE3>>>>>>>>>FE11/FE12

-Ests are amazing in gameplay and in personality

-Sophia is good once trained

-Nino > Pent

-I love every aspect of Awakening and I like Henry's localization

-Nina is the worst FE character in the series(Even worse than the ones with no lines)

-FE14 is the worst entry in the series but it isnt bad

-Also has the worst cast in the series ^^

-Tate > Shanna

-Natasha > Moulder

-Tana >Vanessa

-Seth is overrated

-Pre-promoted units are bad(few exceptions)

-Bring Back Con, Weight, Canto, maybe Fatigue, and limited supports(maybe just 10)

-Eirika and Ephraim are OK lords, I like Michaiah.

-Fir >Rutger(Charatcer-wise)

-Green Knights are always better than Red Knights(Except Kaze and Saizo)

-Stahl x Cordelia is the best pairing for each other

-So is Libra x Sully, Olivia x Lon'qu, and Henry x Lissa

Edited by 1japanfan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I wasn't ware of this. There I go being the pessimist...

..Though, considering TMS, I'd remain cautious.It's not like I have a document on my computer detailing my ideal roster or anything.

Again, there's a story reason why the playable roster in TMS was done the way it was. Had it been done in a "Let's pick a character from each FE continent" sort of way, it would have required a different (and probably more needlessly complicated) plot, and the impact probably wouldn't have been the same.

Again, there's a story reason why the playable roster in TMS was done the way it was. Had it been done in a "Let's pick a character from each FE continent" sort of way, it would have required a different (and probably more needlessly complicated) plot, and the impact probably wouldn't have been the same.

The "story" is attempted justification for what they did, but that's needlessly sidetracking into deadhorse beating.

The "story" is attempted justification for what they did, but that's needlessly sidetracking into deadhorse beating.

I know you hate the game, but you talk as if the choice of using a single FE universe is objectively worse than doing a multiverse thing.

FE3>>>>>>>>>FE11/FE12

-Ests are amazing in gameplay and in personality

-Sophia is good once trained

-Nino is better than Pent

-I love every aspect of Awakening and I like Henry's localization

-Nina is the worst FE character in the series(Even worse than the ones with no lines)

-FE14 is the worst entry in the series but it isnt bad

-Also has the worst cast in the series ^^

-Tate is better than Shanna

-Natasha is better than Moulder

-Tana is better than Vanessa

-Seth is overrated

-Pre-promoted units are bad(few exceptions)

-Bring Back Con, Weight, Canto, maybe Fatigue, and limited supports(maybe just 10)

-Eirika and Ephraim are OK lords, I like Michaiah.

-Fir is better than Rutger

-Green Knights are always better than Red Knights(Except Kaze and Saizo)

-Stahl x Cordelia is canon

-So is Libra x Sully, Olivia x Lon'qu, and Henry x Lissa

-Sakura is destined to become the Queen of Nohr in all timelines except BR.

I thought this was "unpopular opinions" not "state things that are false"

The way I understand it, he doesn't have a problem with Corrin being a naive, trusting fool. I mean, s/he grew up mostly isolated so it's understandable that s/he doen't know how to deal with intrigue and deception. But the way others react to Corrin tends to be less realistic: "Oh, you are a naive trusting fool, Corrin. THAT IS SO AMAZING DONT YOU EVER CHANGE! Also, we should totally keep you in charge of the whole war, even if there are clearly better commanders present (depending on the route at least Ryoma, Xander and Leo)."

i think this goes hand in hand with being a bad character though. that it's not presented as a flaw means there's not much growing.

I know you hate the game, but you talk as if the choice of using a single FE universe is objectively worse than doing a multiverse thing.

Not only that, but there are a whole seven major Mirages, and all seven of them are quite popular.

Chrom, Caeda, Tharja, and Navarre are all extremely popular characters. All four of them are near the top of their respective classes, especially Navarre.

Cain and Draug are very important characters in the grand scheme of the series. Cain even gets directly mentioned in Awakening's main game without DLC, which is a very important distinction.

Virion exists, but he's one outlier in the main cast. He's basically modern Jeorge.

-Stahl x Cordelia is canon

I just did a poll for Awakening ships and Stahl led as Cordelia's spouse in a landslide. Not at all an unpopular opinion, haha, unless you mean in-game mechanics in which she has the fastest supports with Libra.

2vkeyvn.jpg

Stahl/Cordelia actually not my favorite, though; while their supports are sweet, I have a softer spot for Cordelia with characters like Gaius and Robin, maybe even Sumia and Panne if femslash included.

Edited by twistedxgrace

...I wasn't ware of this. There I go being the pessimist...

..Though, considering TMS, I'd remain cautious.It's not like I have a document on my computer detailing my ideal roster or anything.

I personally would have preferred if the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei game were just a SRPG with a bunch of random units of the various classes and demon types with characters not having to be from other games. The mechanics could be a bit of a blend of the two series (although, I have never played a single Shin Megami Tensei in my time and have heard that the mechanics of both series severely clash with each other). I would have liked the game to lean more towards the Fire Emblem style with armies fight each other with a sort of "humans vs. demons" angle (or some humans and demons against other humans and demons for some ambiguity).

The whole pop-idols-in-Tokyo thing made me lose all interest in the game as there is an overabundance of Japanese media set around highschoolers in Tokyo these days. I might have been more interested if it were set around a bunch of adults in the Touhoku region, but the current setting just seemed too trite to me.

Also, the whole cross-dimensional-multiverse thing is essentially the entire premise of Project X Zone (and does not work all that well in a narrative sense, but it does in a gameplay sense).

Sorry for my inane ranting, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents.

This is more so because a vast majority of major Zelda characters are Female there are hardly any significant male characters in the franchise and when they do exist they tend to be very incompetent and not liked by many fans

What about Ganon? What about Linebeck and what about the salesman from Majora's Mask?

Anyways as for my unpopular opinion, I hate the existence of TMS....really, its more on Shin Megami and less on Fire Emblem. There may be strategy there but in reality, it plays as a typical JRPG. I'd rather play Binding Blade over this....its just that awful. I don't even know why NoA even bothered to localize the game if they censored the game and didn't give the English voices for the game. If you're gonna stick to the Japanese content, then stick your guns with the content and leave it at that. Don't censor it and place japanese voices just because its a win win.

EDIT: Also important to note that I haven't played the game, but I looked at various footages of the game and from that alone is creeping me away from the game further and further away. I really wish it didn't happen really. It could like damage the FE IP if it were done worse.

EDIT2: Oh and for those of you that say don't judge a game by its looks and all that, even if I want to get the game, I don't have a Wii U and its too late to get one. Also seeing how the game has bombed, I doubt Nintendo will consider releasing the game to Switch or the next gen console. So...might as well bash the game.

Edited by Harvey

EDIT2: Oh and for those of you that say don't judge a game by its looks and all that, even if I want to get the game, I don't have a Wii U and its too late to get one. Also seeing how the game has bombed, I doubt Nintendo will consider releasing the game to Switch or the next gen console. So...might as well bash the game.

...What? This logic doesn't even make any sense.

This type of logic is really toxic and a horrendous way to think.

"I have never played this game and am not able to. But I can't play it and it didn't really appeal to me so I might as well bash it."

What.

I don't even see what's wrong with the game. I'm going to be playing the game plus it looks serviceable to me.

Different but serviceable.

Regardless of if it was a commercial failure it still got mostly positive reviews overall from what I've seen.

So I don't know what your problem is exactly.

Edited by Sophie

What about Ganon? What about Linebeck and what about the salesman from Majora's Mask?

Okay, serious question here.

Outside of the comedic value of it for the first few times, who the fuck wants to play as a merchant in a hack and slash game?

i think this goes hand in hand with being a bad character though. that it's not presented as a flaw means there's not much growing.

On the subject of Corrin i have the same response I do to a lot of the other Fates characters. The writing is too all over the place to really call them bad characters. Corrin, in concept and design, was a great character though. Start off naive, interesting back story, and is a natural leader that has a lot of room to grow. That is a great set up to have a good character that really grows and becomes better through out the game. The problem isnt Corrin, it was the piss poor management of the game's continuity and direction over the supports, the story, and everything else.

Honestly, at this point, I don't blame the writer they hired, whatever his name was. He wrote a shit ton, and IS cut a lot of it out. Butchering a story like that is only going to hurt it. What required sergical precision in trimming up a story, they took a butcher knife and carved it up like you would a dead pig.

So in my opinion, Corrin isn't the problem, its the writing/story surrounding the character that is what hurt him.

Edited by Tolvir

On the subject of Corrin i have the same response I do to a lot of the other Fates characters. The writing is too all over the place to really call them bad characters. Corrin, in concept and design, was a great character though. Start off naive, interesting back story, and is a natural leader that has a lot of room to grow. That is a great set up to have a good character that really grows and becomes better through out the game. The problem isnt Corrin, it was the piss poor management of the game's continuity and direction over the supports, the story, and everything else.

Honestly, at this point, I don't blame the writer they hired, whatever his name was. He wrote a shit ton, and IS cut a lot of it out. Butchering a story like that is only going to hurt it. What required sergical precision in trimming up a story, they took a butcher knife and carved it up like you would a dead pig.

So in my opinion, Corrin isn't the problem, its the writing/story surrounding the character that is what hurt him.

I'm sorry, but what exactly is your point? This is such a broad statement that it can be applied to anything. As Fates has proven time and again, the premise obviously isn't everything.

-Sophia is good once trained yes, if you "waste" effort

-Nino is better than Pent ^

-FE14 is the worst entry in the series but it isnt bad no, BR is beginnerfriendly

-Also has the worst cast in the series ^^ agreed with CQ

-Tate is better than Shanna in HM, yes, in NM, no

-Natasha is better than Moulder agreed

-Tana is better than Vanessa agreed, Tana is the best peg. knight in the GBA series

-Seth is overrated FE8 is an easy game. That's the thing.

-Pre-promoted units are bad(few exceptions) In the longrun, yes. But you're glad that you have them in the beginning.

-Bring Back Con, Weight, Canto, maybe Fatigue, and limited supports(maybe just 10) I agree with everything except for con. It was the most unbalanced system.

-Fir is better than Rutger NOOOOOO

-Green Knights are always better than Red Knights agreed because speed > strength

I thought this was "unpopular opinions" not "state things that are false"

Not everything marked was false.

You just proved Jedi's point.

Compare the number of male main characters to female main characters.

Anyways as for my unpopular opinion, I hate the existence of TMS....really, its more on Shin Megami and less on Fire Emblem. There may be strategy there but in reality, it plays as a typical JRPG. I'd rather play Binding Blade over this....its just that awful. I don't even know why NoA even bothered to localize the game if they censored the game and didn't give the English voices for the game. If you're gonna stick to the Japanese content, then stick your guns with the content and leave it at that. Don't censor it and place japanese voices just because its a win win.

EDIT: Also important to note that I haven't played the game, but I looked at various footages of the game and from that alone is creeping me away from the game further and further away. I really wish it didn't happen really. It could like damage the FE IP if it were done worse.

I don't get it. If you never playdd the game, what right you have to bash it? The game bombing is no reason to bash it.

You just proved Jedi's point.

Compare the number of male main characters to female main characters.

I don't get it. If you never playdd the game, what right you have to bash it? The game bombing is no reason to bash it.

Agreed. Females outranking males in Hyrule warriors was kind of neccesary. I mean Zelda, Impa, Midna and Fii would be too important to leave out, while characters like Ruto simply had more to work with then others. Important male characters or male characters with unique movesets are much harder to find in Zelda. The Dlc also sort of adressed that concern with more male characters.

I don't have a problem with the amount of males or females in Hyrule warriors, but i'm still hoping for a Rauru/Kaepora combo character. I think that would count as an unpopular opinion though.

But back to Fire Emblem.

I'm not inherently opposed to the Hoshido bias that I often see thrown around. Sure some greyness is prefered, but places like Pherae, Altia or Renais weren't the most morally ambigous countries either. My main problem isn't that Hoshido is the good country, but more the Nohr simply got nothing to work with. No goals, no motives, boring villains and no reason to support them.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the Parent/child festival. It was neat at first to see the parents and kids interact, but after a few they all started to feel similar to each other after a while. I prefer the Halloween and Awakening festivals with more conventional conversations.

And its all right to bash the latest outing of Metroid, Sonic and all other IPs that give no promise in the end right?

Again, looking at the game's footage is steering me away from the game itself. It doesn't matter how good the game may be to you or the others but in general and TMS in general is a total flop.

A pointless spinoff that no one and not even Nintendo expected to happen. Heck, only about 2% of the Nintendo staff "worked" on the game and even that work is hardly their work at all seeing as this is the Atlus game and not a Nintendo game and it shows because its more of a Shin Megami game than a Fire Emblem game.

I thought this was gonna be a situation where students are trapped inside Fire Emblem continents learning various Fire Emblem element histories of how this war affected this one and that. Infact, since Shin Megami Tensei is more on the psychological theme, the Atlus devs could've done it so that the main characters can like go back in time and prevent Zephiel from doing what he's done in Binding Blade and make him a better person so that Hector could be alive or something like that that could've caused an impact on the modern world or could have made a possible plot device to recieve the Fire Emblem in a more sensible fashion.

But no, screw that. All its about are lame highschool students being all damn whimsical and attacking by singing at the crowd and relying on the arena that's based on a stage....something that should be on a Mario RPG rather than Fire Emblem. Its unrealistic, horrible and it was just a move made by Atlus to make Nintendo the loser here. Really, all Nintendo had to do was just either ask Atlus to port Persona 5 to the Wii U or just asked Square Enix to do this spinoff instead.

Square Enix are experts on character and story writing and are more helpful to Nintendo than Atlus with them releasing Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy to their systems.

I'm not inherently opposed to the Hoshido bias that I often see thrown around. Sure some greyness is prefered, but places like Pherae, Altia or Renais weren't the most morally ambigous countries either. My main problem isn't that Hoshido is the good country, but more the Nohr simply got nothing to work with. No goals, no motives, boring villains and no reason to support them.

The issue with Hoshido bias in Fates is that, unlike other Fire Emblems, you are given a choice of which side to take. When you make Team 1 a bunch of angels and Team 2 a bunch of jerks, why would you choose Team 2? In order to give the choice some weight, there needs to be nuance in the factions.

And its all right to bash the latest outing of Metroid, Sonic and all other IPs that give no promise in the end right?

Again, looking at the game's footage is steering me away from the game itself. It doesn't matter how good the game may be to you or the others but in general and TMS in general is a total flop.

No? If you don't play a game, you have a very uninformed opinion. It's one thing to say that you have no interest in a game (I don't intend to play TMS for this reason) but it's another to act like you can criticize things you have never experienced directly. If we're using sales data to validate our uninformed opinions, why don't we call the Tellius games shitty as well? No need to play them, after all.

If we're using sales data to validate our uninformed opinions, why don't we call the Tellius games shitty as well? No need to play them, after all.

Of course they aren't that great. Those games hardly pushed the systems limitations specs alone. When you look at what systems they were released on, what they were upto and what they had to do to hope for sales, they were bound to do terrible. Path of Radiance didn't make use of the Gamecube's power so that alone made it a sunk and Radiant dawn was released on the Wii...a system that was filled with shovelware and casual games.

Infact this brings up another unpopular opinion that FE is probably more suited on handheld than it is on Console kinda like Pokemon.

And btw, being able to play the games is now borderline impossible unless you're rich enough to afford getting used copies. Not to mention that because of the low sales, there is no way in hell they will be remastered again and if they were to be remasted, they will most likely do things that the original does it better.

But I still don't get what this has to do with TMS really because when looking at that game and comparing it to the main FE games, yeah, its not what I want to get and ok, its not my cup of tea so yeah if its not for me, then ok. But the problem is here is that this is messing up a Nintendo IP and not some other IPs that I care less of. An IP that I love to death and an IP that I'm scared of if stuff like this happens.

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, December 26, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 26, 2016 - No reason given

If we're using sales data to validate our uninformed opinions, why don't we call the Tellius games shitty as well? No need to play them, after all.

Of course they aren't that great. Those games hardly pushed the systems limitations specs alone. When you look at what systems they were released on, what they were upto and what they had to do to hope for sales, they were bound to do terrible. Path of Radiance didn't make use of the Gamecube's power so that alone made it a sunk and Radiant dawn was released on the Wii...a system that was filled with shovelware and casual games.

Infact this brings up another unpopular opinion that FE is probably more suited on handheld than it is on Console kinda like Pokemon.

And btw, being able to play the games is now borderline impossible unless you're rich enough to afford getting used copies. Not to mention that because of the low sales, there is no way in hell they will be remastered again and if they were to be remasted, they will most likely do things that the original does it better.

But I still don't get what this has to do with TMS really because when looking at that game and comparing it to the main FE games, yeah, its not what I want to get and ok, its not my cup of tea so yeah if its not for me, then ok. But the problem is here is that this is messing up a Nintendo IP and not some other IPs that I care less of. An IP that I love to death and an IP that I'm scared of if stuff like this happens.

The point is, you shouldn't use sales figures to validate your opinion on games you've never played.

A spinoff is not going to "mess up" the integrity of the series. I'd be more concerned about the mainline games, such as how your favorite game (Awakening) set the course for waifuism and tropey characters.

Edited by NekoKnight

Graphics don't mean shit in a game, you'd be best to wise up on this. The Tellius games were more marred by their marketing and the fact that FE wasn't quite big yet, despite this however the games got a cult following over the years, and heck Nintendo even did a reprint of Radiant Dawn several years later after FE got much more popular, a games quality isn't based on their sales either.

And if a console has shovelware that tends to imply the console was popular enough to have shovelware to begin with.

Not everything marked was false.

It was all false. I think the only one that could be true in retrospect is the green cavs always being better - it's not because speed > strength, it's because Abel/Sain/Kyle/Oscar/Alec/Stahl are better than their counterparts (and only Noish has better speed; the rest are slower and hit harder. The only green cavs that have ever been speedier were Oscar and Noish; everyone else had been slower and harder hitting, and Abel may have started faster but Kain has much higher growths in speed). I'd say Alan > Lance by a razor thin margin.

Expect a lot of edits here for the rest. Basically the entire rest was completely off.

EDIT:

-Sophia is good once trained yes, if you "waste" effort

-Nino is better than Pent ^

Sounds like we agree on these?

-FE14 is the worst entry in the series but it isnt bad no, BR is beginnerfriendly

Beginner friendly without holding your hand in the same vain that Awakening does.

-Also has the worst cast in the series ^^ agreed with CQ

I don't know how we're defining "worst" but this is subjective.

-Tate is better than Shanna in HM, yes, in NM, no

In both modes, Tate is inferior.

In most efficiency settings, Thany is already promoted by the time you get Tate, and and Thany's speed is at least 20+ by the time you get Tate. It's 18+ if Thany is promoted. Tate's base speed on hard mode is 15 on average. Meanwhile, Thany's strength is probably at least 10 compared to Tate's 9, but Tate is lance locked throughout the Western Isles whereas Thany will have swords by then since she can be promoted by that point.

This still means Tate is worse. By the time Tate joins, Thany is basically beating her in every meaningful stat, including movement if you choose to promote her. Giving Thany an Elysian Whip earlier is better for the short term and is a wash in the long-term (a wash at the very least, and favorable towards Thany in the end).

-Natasha is better than Moulder agreed

Moulder has better staff rank and a better base level to hit promotion faster. Natasha requires a lot of turtling to hit promotion, and promoting to Bishop raises his offensive capabilities as well as staff using capabilities a lot more, despite having somewhat lower magic and stuff.

-Tana is better than Vanessa agreed, Tana is the best peg. knight in the GBA series

No, see "Thany" above and replace "Thany" with "Vanessa." Similar arguments apply; Vanessa is around longer and most likely promoted by the time you get Tana.

-Seth is overrated FE8 is an easy game. That's the thing.

Like 60% of the reason FE8 is easy is because of Seth. The only precedent to how badly Seth dominates FE8 is Sigurd in FE4, but at least Sigurd had some late-game fire mages to worry about.

-Pre-promoted units are bad(few exceptions) In the longrun, yes. But you're glad that you have them in the beginning.

Pre-promoted units that are not bad (or amazing at best) in general;

- Everyone in FE1

- Every pre-promote in FE3 book 1

- Jeorge/Minerva (FE3 Book 2)

- Sigurd, Cuan, Briggid (ish) (Gen 1)

- Shanam, Oifaye, Ced/Hawk (Gen 2)

- Eyval, Dagdar, Fred, Parn, Glade, Dean, Eyrios, Shanam, Amalda, Ced, Galzus (FE5)

- Marcus/Zealot are very good units until after the Isles, Percival, Dayan is decent, Klein/Igrene, Cecilia, Jodel (to an extent) (FE6)

- Marcus, Isadora, Hawkeye, Pent, Louise, Geitz, Harken, Jaffar , Athos (FE7)

- Seth, Innes, Saleh, Rennac, Duessel, Syrene (FE8)

- Titania, Stefan, Tanith, Geoffrey, Calill, early game Shinon (FE9)

- The concept of pre-promote is difficult to define in FE10, but let's not pretend that Sothe has less long-term value than the majority of Part 1 units, and Stefan/Volke still have very good combat, and Renning is pretty good for the short time you'll have him. Units who start stronger in FE10 will always end up stronger or at worst on par with their lower-leveled counterparts

- The majority of FE11's cast blows, but Jagen is more useful in the short term than many units will be with investment in the long-term, and Minerva is a great unit, Wolf/Sedgar have amazing growths to cheese certain things, and Wendell has great utility and great bases. Jeorge is also worthwhile over many many other units you get in this game.

- FE12 is the same way with Minerva/Jeorge/some others, but I don't know this game well enough

- Frederick, Libra, Anna, Say'ri (FE13)

- Shura (utility), Reina, Ryoma, Scarlet, Yukimara (FE14 BR)

- Shura (utility), Camilla, Leo, Xander, Flora (utility) (FE14 CQ)

- Reina, Camilla, Shura (utility), Ryoma, Leo, Xander, Flora, Fuga (utility) (FE14 Rev)

A lot of pre-promotes are worth using.

-Fir is better than Rutger NOOOOOO

Yeah this is very incorrect. Rutger comes a lot earlier and has more durability, and is likely to be promoted by the time Fir promotes assuming you get Rutger the right experience. Edited by Lord Raven

Pushing a console's limitations is hardly an indication of quality.

That's not unpopular.

It was all false. I think the only one that could be true in retrospect is the green cavs always being better - it's not because speed > strength, it's because Abel/Sain/Forde/Oscar/Noish/Stahl are better than their counterparts (and only Noish has better speed; the rest are slower and hit harder. The only green cavs that have ever been speedier were Oscar and Noish; everyone else had been slower and harder hitting, and Abel may have started faster but Kain has much higher growths in speed). I'd say Alan > Lance by a razor thin margin.

I'd say Sully is better than Stahl but meh.

Yeah I don't know enough about Sully or Stahl to really care since Awakening feels like FE11 in the sense that you're better off with a handful of units and pair-up bots than anything else. I also don't put too much stock in Alec vs Noish having that said, since neither unit is particularly good.

But like half of the green cavs have better str/def than the Red cavs.