More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

Not really directly related to the canon series but there isn't really anywhere else to put this...

It's always really silly to me when Fire Emblem hacks just change the names of a bunch of things without changing the functions. Some recent examples from Fire Emblem Requiem (which is a fantastic hack) include Mercenaries being renamed to Blades, Troubadours being renamed to Saviours, Vulneraries being renamed to Salves, Heal staves being renamed to Prayer Staves (with "Staff" as part of the item name)... It's not like it's a big deal or anything, but it always just kind of seems a bit pointless to me, like all it could really accomplish is misleading a player into thinking a returning element is new, when it's not. It's just a plain ol' canon game element that's been given a different name.

And yes, I know the official games do this sometimes, too... (What are you talking about, Samurai is totally a new class!) and it bugs me when Intelligent Systems does it, too.

(To be fair, though, some instances of it are understandable, like Valkyrie → Strategist. Removing the genderlock on the class meant that a gendered class name was no longer really applicable.)

Edited by Topaz Light

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really directly related to the canon series but there isn't really anywhere else to put this...

It's always really silly to me when Fire Emblem hacks just change the names of a bunch of things without changing the functions. Some recent examples from Fire Emblem Requiem (which is a fantastic hack) include Mercenaries being renamed to Blades, Troubadours being renamed to Saviours, Vulneraries being renamed to Salves, Heal staves being renamed to Prayer Staves (with "Staff" as part of the item name)... It's not like it's a big deal or anything, but it always just kind of seems a bit pointless to me, like all it could really accomplish is misleading a player into thinking a returning element is new, when it's not. It's just a plain ol' canon game element that's been given a different name.

And yes, I know the official games do this sometimes, too... (What are you talking about, Samurai is totally a new class!) and it bugs me when Intelligent Systems does it, too.

(To be fair, though, some instances of it are understandable, like Valkyrie → Strategist. Removing the genderlock on the class meant that a gendered class name was no longer really applicable.)

I think it's forgivable when the nature of the new world they're making means the old name doesn't make sense, which is the case for most of the Hoshidan ones ones. No reason why the Japanese country should use a non-Japanese word for what are now obviously Japanese warriors.

Funny thing about that last bit you say: Troubadour is not only also a gendered word, it's a MASCULINE word. The class should have been called Trobairitz all of this time.

Funny thing about that last bit you say: Troubadour is not only also a gendered word, it's a MASCULINE word. The class should have been called Trobairitz all of this time.

Forget masculine and feminine, the word Troubadour refers to medieval musicians and has nothing to do with healing.

Maybe, to use the staff, they sing to it because they aren't clergy?

But yeah that particular class name isn't a particularly logical one. Rod Knight may sound a bit stupid, but it gets across what they do far better.

Forget masculine and feminine, the word Troubadour refers to medieval musicians and has nothing to do with healing.

I have always wonder why this name is used in most of the games if it's technically wrong? (It's only abscent in the Marth's and Ike's Games, Gaiden and the Japanese Version of Fates... and with the exception of Fates those games lacks an unpromoted mounted healer class).

Well, time to do this, and prepare for the storm.

-Stamina is an awful mechanic that should never return.

-Thracia 776 is the weakest game in the franchise to me because of said mechanic.

-Dorcas is a good unit, as you can see from my profile pic.

-The DS games are the best way to experience the first and third game.

-Dismount is pointless.

-I don't like flying units in general. Besides Cormag.

-I don't like troubadours either.

-Raven isn't a very good unit.

Well, time to do this, and prepare for the storm.

Responses in Bold

-Stamina is an awful mechanic that should never return. Not too unpopular

-Thracia 776 is the weakest game in the franchise to me because of said mechanic. A little bit more unpopular

-Dorcas is a good unit, as you can see from my profile pic. Unpopular, especially here.

-The DS games are the best way to experience the first and third game. Totally unpopular, but also justified.

-Dismount is pointless. Not sure, probably popular.

-I don't like flying units in general. Besides Cormag. Very unpopular, except for the Cormag part.

-I don't like troubadours either. 50/50.

-Raven isn't a very good unit.This is a very unpopular opinion, as Mercenaries are generally regarded as some of the best units in their games.

I know opinions on the DS remakes tend to vary quite a bit, but in spite of the negative opinions of those games I still see very few people actually recommending FE3 over 11/12. I've never seen someone genuinely recommend FE1 over 3 or 11 (because that would be dumb). So, thinking the remakes are the best way to experience FE1 and 3 is really not unpopular.

I don't think they're improvements on FE3, with the only thing that they actually do better being UI and harder difficulty settings.

1. Pairing mechanic in Awakening & Fates is OP and I don't like it.

2. Completing Lunatic+ in Awakening was not satisfactory one bit.

3.The Binding Blade is the toughest AND most fair FE game in my opinion.

4. I hate NDS FE animations, every single one of them.

5. I completely hate the fact that there is no weapon durability in Fates.

I don't think they're improvements on FE3, with the only thing that they actually do better being UI and harder difficulty settings.

And a less broken shard system, for one. Along with forging/combining items/turning animations off/adding some items via gaidens/reclassing/adding characters/attempting to flesh out characters/other stuff I probably missed. A lot was changed, but it's easy to take those changes for granted.

1. Pairing mechanic in Awakening & Fates is OP and I don't like it.

2. Completing Lunatic+ in Awakening was not satisfactory one bit.

4. I hate NDS FE animations, every single one of them.

1. not unpopular as concerned awakening as a pair up is actually OP in awakening, the fates part is controversial though as it's more balanced in that game.

2. This is very popular and an common criticism of awakening.

4. Once again very popular and a common criticism of the DS games

Edited by Locke087

And a less broken shard system, for one. Along with forging/combining items/turning animations off/adding some items via gaidens/reclassing/adding characters/attempting to flesh out characters/other stuff I probably missed. A lot was changed, but it's easy to take those changes for granted.

FE12 characters have insane growths anyways, so a less broken shard system doesn't really matter (and the shard system was more fun IMO). Forging/Reclassing was cool, but they're lateral improvements over something that would make me prefer the remakes. I hate all of the Gaiden chapters in FE12 and mostly never do the FE11 ones lol, they're so bad (OH BOY TIME TO BRING THE SQUARE MAP DESIGN BACK FROM THE PROLOGUES). More character development was good though! I legitimately forgot that. I appreciate it more in FE11 though, because a lot of the character development in FE12 was relegated to interactions with Chris (and some characters got worse in FE12, notably Marth).

EDIT Combining items was an underrated improvement for sure, though. It was done better than it was in FE13 too, which is hilarious to me.

Edited by Refa

Honestly, the best improvement that the DS games made were skipping phases (enemy movement, enemy phase, etc.). Makes running through the game again a lot less tedious.

I'm surprised there's no mention in this discussion of Book 1 cutting maps that were readded in 11.

I miss everything that book 1 cuts, but I would still play book 1 over 11 any day.

Much better art / music style, I loved dismounting, no re-classing and better balance around the all 20 stat cap.

It seems that preferring books 1/2 over 11/12 is an unpopular opinion, so there is mine. I love SD to death, but MotE Book 1 is so much better.

While 11/12 did do little refinements and added some things, I like stat caps being 20, dismount and weapon level being a stat along with dismount in FE3, and generally it feels like FE3 had more thought put into it and its characters stat bases, while 12 is an unbalanced mess, (Lunatic in 12 is great at least but the imbalance is quite possibly the worst in a franchise that is already imbalanced as hell).

To be fair, I think you mean the characters are an unbalanced mess. The actual mode is pretty balanced provided you don't use any of the Free Silvers characters. As much as I rag on FE12, even I have to admit that its Lunatic Mode (not accounting for the character imbalance which bugs me too!) is one of the best balanced Lunatic Modes in the series. Some of your units may be able to break it for a while but they're put in check after a few chapters.

To be fair, I think you mean the characters are an unbalanced mess. The actual mode is pretty balanced provided you don't use any of the Free Silvers characters. As much as I rag on FE12, even I have to admit that its Lunatic Mode (not accounting for the character imbalance which bugs me too!) is one of the best balanced Lunatic Modes in the series. Some of your units may be able to break it for a while but they're put in check after a few chapters.

Oops, yeah thats what I meant.

FE12's lunatic is probably the best iteration of Lunatic that is both fair and difficult, BR is too much on the easy side, and Conquest just throws skills up the wazoo at you eventually.

Edited by Jedi

UI are the main reasons I haven't completed any games before FE6.

5. I completely hate the fact that there is no weapon durability in Fates.

I don't think this is that unpopular an opinion, as I have mixed feelings on it as well. It's nice not having to buy so many weapons for everyone (especially in Conquest), but I think the debuffs to them are too significant.