More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering you can turn the voices off while keeping the Battle Animations, I don't see what the big deal is on having them or keeping them for future games.

Was talking about the story, not the gameplay.

Not when they sound like psychopaths that enjoy so much murder.

As for adding personality, all they do is reinforce that one lone gimmick they have.

This is my biggest complaint. I think they look neat but I'm not a fan of "shout my gimmick!" or the tone conveyed by having them so light-heartedly kill people. If they have to have a speaking line, it should be something more in-character and expected of the situation. Killing people shouldn't be punny unless you're Henry.

FE7 is the only one who really nailed how to make an avatar character.

By making them totally irrelevant, both for story AND gameplay?

Quite frankly I agree that FE7's implementation of a self-insert is the best.

I legit cannot stand any of the ones that are relevant to the story, all it resulted in was the other characters bending to make them look good.

FE7's was totally optional (even though it's never really optimal gameplay-wise to NOT make them because they're free bonuses haha) and the praise they get is basically thanking the player for their role in the gameplay and not for doing some crazy story thing outside player control. They don't talk, but lines can be imagined for them (like Link).

The only real flaw in the FE7 tactician implementation imo is they don't help as a unit, being an eternal green guy. Besides that, they get the self-inserting role done far better than the others and are far less offensive in terms of how they're treated.

Related, and I don't really know how unpopular this is, but I dislike most of Awakening and Fates' critical animations. Compared to how visually interesting most of them were in the GBA games, the crit animations in the newer games are lacking.

As I learned on the last page, this is apparently a widely-held opinion hahaha.

Glad everyone seems to have the proper appreciation for those beautiful sprites.

Liked Taguels as characters, hated them as units (overshadowed by Manaketes, who could do almost everything they could but better)

Didn't mind FE13’s DLC considering it more than doubled the length of the game…

Liked the wolf laguz, but wish they were handled better and we could have seen more of them

I agree wit dese. Awakening's DLC was pretty solid on the whole, I feel...? I still think Future Past and such should have been part of the main story, but I'm glad we got to see them.

I legit cannot stand any of the ones that are relevant to the story, all it resulted in was the other characters bending to make them look good.

FE7's was totally optional (even though it's never really optimal gameplay-wise to NOT make them because they're free bonuses haha) and the praise they get is basically thanking the player for their role in the gameplay and not for doing some crazy story thing outside player control. They don't talk, but lines can be imagined for them (like Link).

The only real flaw in the FE7 tactician implementation imo is they don't help as a unit, being an eternal green guy. Besides that, they get the self-inserting role done far better than the others and are far less offensive in terms of how they're treated.

I it would be great if, in a remake/port/etc. of FE7, the tactician character was a playable unit. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with everything being said above as well, but it would be nice if you have the option to perform a role in battle, so long as your plot involvement is minimal to nonexistent and your character is optional and isn't totally overpowered (like, maybe you don't want to use your character at all and just leave them out, lol). Hell, it might even be nice if you get 'supports' with them, where they just talk at you and you can imagine your conversation with them.

Maybe THIS is a controversial opinion in itself, but I would love that.

In retrospect, Corrin might have been a much more tolerable character if they were given this treatment, so you're REALLY free to imagine how your self-insert character-- the whole selling point of Corrin being the lord-- would react in each respective situation. Maybe you get little morality prompts resembling the ones that the DLC Enherjar Lords give in Awakening; I thought those responses were fairly well-written on your behalf.

FE4 is cool but not fun.

FE6 < FE7 < FE8.

FE10 was a huge improvement in gameplay from FE9. Likewise for FE12 from FE11.

FE13 was a bad game for the franchise, but still fun to play.

FE14 has almost no redeeming qualities, and is by far the worst game in the franchise.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, November 17, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, November 17, 2016 - No reason given
whoops nvm.

Edited by BANRYU

If you made Roy's haircolour customizable (and changed nothing else about him), he'd be a decent self-insert, too. Actually, he is a rather good self-insert as is.

If you made Roy's haircolour customizable (and changed nothing else about him), he'd be a decent self-insert, too. Actually, he is a rather good self-insert as is.

...Nah, I'd rather Roy stay his own character than be tainted by the stains of Kris, Robin, and Corrin.

(I more or less hate the FE avatars on principle now and FE7's just offends me the least. I can ignore it.)

Not when they sound like psychopaths that enjoy so much murder.

As for adding personality, all they do is reinforce that one lone gimmick they have.

It's not like something similar wasn't done before in previous games.

Remember that support conversations took place during battle.

I don't know about you, but sharing your entire life story, having philosophical discussions, exchanging anecdotes, giving a long love confession, dancing or drinking while there's all that blood and death around doesn't sound sane to me.

And yet the characters do that in previous Fire Emblems.

It's a bit of a double standard to criticize cut-ins and critical quotes and not talk about before previous games.

Edited by Water Mage

^

Sure, but most of the on map conversations prior to the GBA support system were reasonable. Tellius fixed the on map support awkwardness by changing them to be activated in the base, along with base conversations in general. That was a problem that was rectified.

Edited by Irysa

^

Sure, but most of the on map conversations prior to the GBA support system were reasonable. Tellius fixed the on map support awkwardness by changing them to be activated in the base, along with base conversations in general. That was a problem that was rectified.

I wouldn't be so sure, considering that some of the conversations in FE4 were played for laughs, and still took place in the battlefield.

And I wouldn't call it rectified in Tellius. I'm pretty sure that if the character of Tellius could talk during battle, it would be the same as the characters FE13 and FE14.

Just look at Mist's unpromoted victory pose in RD. If she talked, I'm pretty sure she would go "Yay, I won!", without a hint of shame or guilt.

Another example, is the Cat Laguz victory pose, which is pretty disrespectful to opponent when you think about it.

Some of the quotes from the "converse" option are also pretty silly and out of place.

Edited by Water Mage

It's not like something similar wasn't done before in previous games.

Remember that support conversations took place during battle.

I don't know about you, but sharing your entire life story, having philosophical discussions, exchanging anecdotes, giving a long love confession, dancing or drinking while there's all that blood and death around doesn't sound sane to me.

And yet the characters do that in previous Fire Emblems.

It's a bit of a double standard to criticize cut-ins and critical quotes and not talk about before previous games.

Just look at Mist's unpromoted victory pose jn RD. If she talked, I'm pretty sure she would go "Yay, I won!", without a hint of shame or guilt.

Another example, is the Cat Laguz victory pose, which is pretty disrespectful to opponent when you think about it.

Some of the quotes from the "converse" option are also pretty silly and out of place.

This is a pretty flimsy comparison to the 3DS cut-ins. The in-battle supports of the GBA era might seem awkward but those games didn't really have a developed "between battles" portion of the game like Tellius and the 3DS games did. How do those even compare to something like Selena's mad laughter in battle or characters making cheeky one-liners when they kill people?

This is a pretty flimsy comparison to the 3DS cut-ins. The in-battle supports of the GBA era might seem awkward but those games didn't really have a developed "between battles" portion of the game like Tellius and the 3DS games did. How do those even compare to something like Selena's mad laughter in battle or characters making cheeky one-liners when they kill people?

I wouldn't call it flimsy, because they still had a before battle segment, which could have support.

And it's still doesn't make it better than getting sharing alcoholic drinks, dancing, taking care of a bird who nested on a person's head or teaching a child how to read in the middle of battle.

A lot of the cheeky one-liners could be justified by the characters getting caught in the rush and thrill of battle.

Honestly, I'd say the cut in's are only as disrepectful as the player themselves make them out to be. You can turn off voices in the options of the 3DS games, so if you don't like them, you at least have an option, and as far as the 3DS games go, we know little of the cultures of the worlds they take place in due to poor world building. Hell, even in games like Tellius where there IS quality world building, the rules of war are rarely discussed with the only mention in my memory being Micaiah's Pegasus Barbecue which was more or less ignored completely by Micaiah's allies at the time and handwaved by the Laguz Alliance after one minor threat which in comparison to what Micaiah actually DID was a very minor threat. Because of this, I don't think we can safely say what respectful battlefield behavior in FE.

Edited by MCPugi

I wouldn't be so sure, considering that some of the conversations in FE4 were played for laughs, and still took place in the battlefield.

FE4's battles take months and span countries. A lot of those conversations are pretty reasonable if you take that in mind, and some gag stuff isn't indicative a problem across the entire board.

And I wouldn't call it rectified in Tellius. I'm pretty sure that if the character of Tellius could talk during battle, it would be the same as the characters FE13 and FE14.

Just look at Mist's unpromoted victory pose in RD. If she talked, I'm pretty sure she would go "Yay, I won!", without a hint of shame or guilt.

Man this is just conjecture. FE9 and 10 had voice acting in various places but didn't go for full VA despite being very ambitious games in many respects. I think it's far more reasonable to judge that they didn't want to fully voice the game because it constrained them. And I really can't see Mist yelling stuff like "YOU'RE DEAD" or whatever before critting either.

And, like, nitpicking older games for unrefined elements and trying to connect them to being equivilant to deliberately refined things in the newer ones is pretty disingenuous, especially when it's a thread dedicated to unpopular opinions anyway.

FWIW I don't really care about the crit quotes (I even like the attention put into them in Japanese because of the Parent/Child connections) because they're just a small part of a much larger tonal and stylistic shift.

Edited by Irysa

To be perfectly honest this is one of the most realistic battle quotes.

War and killing are extremely brutal and the most common vocalizations during them are screams (especially these), laughter, and simple comments along the lines of "DIE!" If you can see Mist killing someone with a sword (and gameplaywise she certainly can), then yes her doing one of those things is probably the most realistic. She's not going to be a demure anime girl during battle even if she can maintain that personality outside it (though to be honest most FE characters should probably rapidly shift to far more haunted, traumatised personalities given how many people they kill).

Agreed that goofy things like "Yay, I won!" are far less likely. Very few people are going to be cheerful in the middle of a battle.

That said, I like crit cut-ins because of the rule of cool. They're not very realistic on the whole (outside the ones I mentioned) but nor is the entire setup of FE. The day FE wants to honestly deal with the consequences of war and killing and what they do to people, they should get rid of them. But until then, I will continue to enjoy them.

This might not be popular per se, but there is some part of me that thinks that RD was actually 3 or 4 completely separate stories written by completely different people and there were problems in trying to connect all these parts together. Like the writer for one part had conflicting ideas with the writer for another.

Also I feel like I would like Micaiah a lot more if so many people (and sometimes the narrative of the story) didn't ride her dick so much. She was at the very least, an interesting character.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

This might not be popular per se, but there is some part of me that thinks that RD was actually 3 or 4 completely separate stories written by completely different people and there were problems in trying to connect all these parts together. Like the writer for one part had conflicting ideas with the writer for another.

Also I feel like I would like Micaiah a lot more if so many people (and sometimes the narrative of the story) didn't ride her dick so much. She was at the very least, an interesting character.

I can actually see this as none of the stories in this game are really connected but they try so hard to connect them and they are strung together in such a string bean way.

See that's the thing, I'm unpopular on this, because I don't feel like they were fair to Micaiah. If anything, they were unfair to her when Ike came on the scene. Micaiah has to have "super special goddess powers" to compete with Ike and his super commander abilities. If Micaiah was ridden too hard, then Ike's dick was grinded into dust during RD. Especially that ended. Oh lord that ending. Grants Ike credit for something EVERYONE worked towards-- like Sanaki, Elincia, Micaiah, Sothe...? All of them. Ike did it.

I like using Guy over the other myrmidons/ swordmasters. I even use him as a replacement for Lyn.

I don't have a favorite lord in FE7. Eliwood and Lyn are ok-ish. Hector is great as a unit but I can't stand his personality.

I actually used to like Ike when I was a kid. I thought he was cool in Brawl, but after I played FE9 and 10 I that appreciation quickly faded away lol.

Ryoma and Xander are equally uninteresting to me. I can't choose which one I like/dislike more.

I seem to be part of the rare group that doesn't like Oboro. Her facial expressions, voice, and sob-story get annoying rather quickly. Plus her support with Beruka made me dislike her more.

Shiro and Seigbert should be more popular than their fathers.

I almost never use Fighters. Axe users aren't very reliable for me. Maybe I just have bad luck?

I pretty sure someone else mentioned this already, but I also prefer using characters I like over strong or popular ones. This is why I almost never use characters like Jaffar, Oboro, Owain, Cordelia, Navarre, etc.