More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

That's like... 80% headcanon. Even if that were point for point what the writers intended, those would be some disturbing moral standards for the main characters (Xander and Kamui especially). Like, it's okay to murder servants but it's not okay to murder captured soldiers? A sob story doesn't earn you a 'get-away-with-serial-murders-free-card' in my book.

It's not headcanon when the supports explicitly mention things. Do you want a source-by-source rundown?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Xander has far better things to do than disclipining his serial killer retainer. Like disclipining his serial flirter retainer.

As for Corrin, they are worried about it at first, but Peri's such a good baker they're willing to overlook it.

It's not headcanon when the supports explicitly mention things. Do you want a source-by-source rundown?

Yes please.

To be fair, Xander has far better things to do than disclipining his serial killer retainer. Like disclipining his serial flirter retainer.

As for Corrin, they are worried about it at first, but Peri's such a good baker they're willing to overlook it.

Don't eat the meat pies!

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, November 21, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, November 21, 2016 - No reason given

Edit: Double post sorry.

Edited by NekoKnight

I would like to see it.

Alright. Since this is gonna be long, have a spoiler tag.

The first support I read for Peri was Niles/Peri. Just from this support alone, we get the following:

Niles: Good day, Peri. I have some remarkable news for you. The mansion you grew up inwas it a nobleman's home? And was it on the corner of a main street, with a prominent blue tile roof?

Peri: Yep! That's exactly it.

---

Peri: Really? We had just about everything you could want in that house. Gold, rare works of art, jewels... You name it!

B support. So, from this we learn that Peri's apparently nobility, and that she lived in a big house with a distinctive road. Both of these are from the B support, and they make it clear that Peri's family had money.

Niles: Riiight. Anyway, there was another rumor about your house. At one point, it seemed your household was hiring a new servant every other day. The money was good, but soon people became reluctant to work there. Some of the butlers and maids you hired were never seen again... Does any of this ring a bell?

A support. Niles would have no reason to lie about the economy of Nohr. This tells us that servants can choose their masters, and that they were paid for their services.

Peri: Oh, that? Heehee! I guess I probably killed a bunch of the butlers that my daddy hired. Whenever I was bored, I'd summon one of them, and then...THWACK! Heehee! Sometimes Daddy would even watch!

Peri says a lot in this one quote.

1. She specifically mentions "butlers" instead of "servants", which is something to keep in mind for later.

2. Her father had enough money to hire a lot of people, since it sounds like Peri didn't do this only once.

3. Her father knew that she was killing his servants.

4. Her father did nothing to stop her from killing his servants.

In other words, Peri's family was rich enough to treat their workers like they were disposable. Furthermore, her father knew of Peri's killings, and didn't stop her, which is fucked up, even if he was a legit psychopath - hiring people requires time, energy, and money, and yet his daughter was more than happy to get rid of that investment. This shows that there is something seriously up with him.

Next on this list is a support with an actual servant - Jakob/Peri, to be exact.

Peri: *sob* Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! If you don't pour me some tea, I'll...I'll... I'll kill everyone in the area!

Jakob: I don't care in the slightest. If you try and go on a killing spree in camp, I'm certain you'll be punished. Banishment at the minimum, but probably execution just to be safe.

Peri: Huh?! But I don't wanna be executed! Killing isn't fun when it's happening to me!

C support. Notice how Peri stops her train of thought when Jakob mentions the consequences of her actions? While her reaction would be natural if she suggested something minor (like eating chocolate with her orange juice if she'd never had either of them before), the fact that she pauses on something as big as murder is odd.

Peri: You're always picking on me. And saying mean things... Yeah, I definitely hate hate hate you!

---

Peri: You're never nice to me! You won't make me tea, and you tell me not to kill people! Killing people is my favorite pastime!

B support. The "never" qualifier is a strong one, and shows a black-and-white view (same with the "always"). We don't know how Jakob treated her from when she joined until this conversation, and she would have a reason to lie about it if she wanted Jakob to feel bad. Lastly, both support conversations started when Peri opened her mouth, so the "always" part makes no sense from the information the reader has. This supports the assertion that Peri's mindset is very childlike.

Peri: I don't think I'm all that strange. I like killing people, I like cooking... I cry, and I get scared. That's just who I am. None of those things are all that unique to only me.

A support. I threw this in because it's one of the cooler support lines.

Silas/Peri actually says more about Silas than Peri, but there's a bit of world-building in there.

Silas: I've heard, and this is just hearsay, that you used to treat your servants abominably.

Peri: Huh. I didn't know people cared about that enough to talk about it...

---

Silas: *sigh*... Even if she is important to Lord Xander, he needs to rein in her vicious streak. Especially if she keeps lashing out at her defenseless servants. I'll have to tread lightly here...

"Yeah, but what the hell does Silas have to do with this?"

Silas: That won't be necessary. I come from a prosperous house with many servants.

At least treating servants a la Peri's house doesn't seem to be normal.

And then there's Kaden/Peri and Odin/Peri:

Peri: Do you ask spiders why they bite? Birds why they fly? Cakes why they're delicious? It's in my nature. I can't stop killing bugs any more than I can stop killing people!

---

Peri: That's OK. Some of the rumors may be true, but they don't tell the whole story. That crazy, violent girl isn't who I am. Anyway, class is about to start. See ya!

There's two ways to interpret this:

1. Shitty writing.

2. Peri changes depending on who she hangs out with.

I lean towards the first one, since it would make no sense for her to assert that she's not crazy with Odin, then turn around and be crazy with Kaden.

Laslow/Peri is one of Peri's better supports.

Peri: Oh, that? Yep! Back home in the mansion, whenever I got mad, THWACK! There'd be so much blood! It was amazing!

Laslow: P-Peri! That's horrible!

Peri: It is? How come?

Laslow: Those servants took care of you, right? It's wrong to kill people who haven't done anything to you.

Peri: Huuuuh? What's wrong about it? You kill lots of people!

Laslow: Yeah, but...I had to. If I hadn't killed them, then they'd have killed me! Your servants weren't trying to murder you, were they?

Peri: You're making this too complicated. Do you always think about hard stuff like this when you fight?

Laslow: Yeah, I try to. Even my enemies probably have families and friends who'd mourn their deaths. Have you never thought about the ones who care about the people you kill? About how sad they must be now that their loved one is dead?

Peri: Hmm...I dunno... Feels like I wouldn't be too good at fighting if I thought about all that!

B support. Peri's strength comes from literally not thinking of the people's she's killing.

Peri: Yep. My mommy was killed when I was little.

Laslow: What?!

Peri: I remember finding her lying there, covered in blood, on the floor of our kitchen. At first I thought someone had spilled a lot of tomato juice. ...It was one of the servants. He loved my mommy so much, he wanted to keep her forever for himself.

Laslow: Th-that's awful...!

Peri: They punished that servant, of course. But I was little, and all the butlers and maids looked the same to me. I felt like the one who killed my mommy was still there with us in the mansion. So whenever I got upset, I'd take it out on one of them. THWACK! My daddy knewhe'd watch me do itbut he never said it was wrong.

A support. We learn that Peri was the one who found her mother, and there's no way to argue that such a thing isn't really traumatic. Furthermore, she doesn't see the servants as people, she sees them as the entity that killed her mom. Lastly, her father didn't tell her that killing the servants was wrong.

Peri: When almost all the servants were gone, I decided to leave home. People told me how good I was at killing in battle, and I started to really like it. I forgot all about my mommy. But after you mentioned it, I thought about it a little bit. All that probably happened because I was sad. There were never any good smells from the kitchen after she died. I never had my mommy's cooking again...

Peri gravitated towards whatever gave her praise, which was apparently killing people on the battlefield. She also mentions that she misses her mother's cooking. A few lines later. . .

Peri: Laslow? Are you crying?

Laslow: No, Peri. I think that's you.

Peri: Wow...you're right... Real tears... This is a first...!

Laslow: Cry all you want. It's OK. Your mother lives in you, even now.

Peri: Really? That's great! Speaking of Mommy's cooking, I can make it now! Is that 'cause she's inside of me?

Laslow: Yes. And the same goes for me. I can dance just the way my mother did. They passed on the things that were most important to them.

According to this support, Peri never properly cried after her mom's death. She also associates her mom with cooking. It's established that Peri herself is a good cook. Putting the last two sentences together, it's very likely that Peri picked up cooking because she misses her mom.

Peri: I still talk like a little girl. I haven't changed since my mommy died!

S support. I don't think I need to explain this.

Xander/Peri talks more about why Peri became a retainer.

Xander: Is that what you were thinking about during the tournament? Winning?

Peri: Not really. I just thought it would be fun.

Xander: Yes. And despite that mind-set, and your lack of preparation, you still placed highly. It showed me how vast your potential was. That is why I chose you for service. I wanted strong retainers, who could be counted on not to lose their lives in battle.

Self-explanatory.

---

Now, what's missing are any and all lines about Peri/her family being punished for the dead servants. Since Peri talks about killing multiple servants, it means one of the following:

1. Servants have no rights, because a lot of them going missing hasn't triggered a gigantic investigation, just rumors.

2. Peri's dad is paying people off to look the other way - after all, someone needs to dispose of the bodies, and clean up the mess.

3. Anyone that questions the blood and bodies becomes Peri's next target.

I think the first one is most accurate, since Peri does fuck-all to hide her love of killing, and cleaning up after a dead body isn't easy (let alone getting rid of one). The third one could be somewhat tied to the first one, but if it was a matter of masters treating servants badly when servants can be hired, the master would eventually find themselves with either shitty workers or no prospective employees.

That's how I drew my conclusions about Peri. She's extremely honest, perhaps too much so. Some people (like Jakob) think it's hot.

Which leads me to yet another unpopular opinion of mine that characters and story should be as barebones as possible.

Edited by eggclipse

The first support I read for Peri was Niles/Peri. Just from this support alone, we get the following:

B support. So, from this we learn that Peri's apparently nobility, and that she lived in a big house with a distinctive road. Both of these are from the B support, and they make it clear that Peri's family had money.

A support. Niles would have no reason to lie about the economy of Nohr. This tells us that servants can choose their masters, and that they were paid for their services.

1. She specifically mentions "butlers" instead of "servants", which is something to keep in mind for later.

2. Her father had enough money to hire a lot of people, since it sounds like Peri didn't do this only once.

In other words, Peri's family was rich enough to treat their workers like they were disposable. Furthermore, her father knew of Peri's killings, and didn't stop her, which is fucked up, even if he was a legit psychopath - hiring people requires time, energy, and money, and yet his daughter was more than happy to get rid of that investment. This shows that there is something seriously up with him.

Next on this list is a support with an actual servant - Jakob/Peri, to be exact.

C support. Notice how Peri stops her train of thought when Jakob mentions the consequences of her actions? While her reaction would be natural if she suggested something minor (like eating chocolate with her orange juice if she'd never had either of them before), the fact that she pauses on something as big as murder is odd.

B support. The "never" qualifier is a strong one, and shows a black-and-white view (same with the "always"). We don't know how Jakob treated her from when she joined until this conversation, and she would have a reason to lie about it if she wanted Jakob to feel bad. Lastly, both support conversations started when Peri opened her mouth, so the "always" part makes no sense from the information the reader has. This supports the assertion that Peri's mindset is very childlike.

Silas/Peri actually says more about Silas than Peri, but there's a bit of world-building in there.

1. Shitty writing.

I lean towards the first one, since it would make no sense for her to assert that she's not crazy with Odin, then turn around and be crazy with Kaden.

B support. Peri's strength comes from literally not thinking of the people's she's killing.

A support. We learn that Peri was the one who found her mother, and there's no way to argue that such a thing isn't really traumatic. Furthermore, she doesn't see the servants as people, she sees them as the entity that killed her mom. Lastly, her father didn't tell her that killing the servants was wrong.

Peri gravitated towards whatever gave her praise, which was apparently killing people on the battlefield. She also mentions that she misses her mother's cooking. A few lines later. . .

According to this support, Peri never properly cried after her mom's death. She also associates her mom with cooking. It's established that Peri herself is a good cook. Putting the last two sentences together, it's very likely that Peri picked up cooking because she misses her mom.

Self-explanatory.

---

Now, what's missing are any and all lines about Peri/her family being punished for the dead servants. Since Peri talks about killing multiple servants, it means one of the following:

1. Servants have no rights, because a lot of them going missing hasn't triggered a gigantic investigation, just rumors.

2. Peri's dad is paying people off to look the other way - after all, someone needs to dispose of the bodies, and clean up the mess.

I think the first one is most accurate, since Peri does fuck-all to hide her love of killing, and cleaning up after a dead body isn't easy (let alone getting rid of one). The third one could be somewhat tied to the first one, but if it was a matter of masters treating servants badly when servants can be hired, the master would eventually find themselves with either shitty workers or no prospective employees.

That's how I drew my conclusions about Peri. She's extremely honest, perhaps too much so. Some people (like Jakob) think it's hot.

Thanks for looking up the supports. The main part of the argument that I find debatable is how "normal" Pieri's killings are. If servants have no rights and abusing or even killing them is "normal" than no one should raise an eyebrow at it, but Jacob specifically mentions that her killing sprees would make her worthy of banishment or execution. Kamui tolerates Pieri's abuse of servants but would he also be okay if Pieri murdered Felicia and Joker? Kamui objects to prisoners of war being executed but he's okay with Pieri killing servants? Sounds likes a fuck-ton of mental gymnastics and double standards are needs to make this all fit together. It would seem that most characters would agree that what she is doing is wrong but have no intention of punishing her for what she has and is still doing.

Thanks for looking up the supports. The main part of the argument that I find debatable is how "normal" Pieri's killings are. If servants have no rights and abusing or even killing them is "normal" than no one should raise an eyebrow at it, but Jacob specifically mentions that her killing sprees would make her worthy of banishment or execution. Kamui tolerates Pieri's abuse of servants but would he also be okay if Pieri murdered Felicia and Joker? Kamui objects to prisoners of war being executed but he's okay with Pieri killing servants? Sounds likes a fuck-ton of mental gymnastics and double standards are needs to make this all fit together. It would seem that most characters would agree that what she is doing is wrong but have no intention of punishing her for what she has and is still doing.

Differences:

1. Jakob and Felicia are under Corrin's jurisdiction, not Peri's. Hence it would be akin to damaging someone else's property, at absolute coldest.

2. The people Peri allude to in Jakob/Peri are whoever's in the area, who are probably not under Peri's direct hire.

3. Peri answers to Xander first (see Xander/Peri and Corrin/Peri). Thus, Corrin doesn't have direct command over her. However, Corrin is horrified at her actions.

4. Silas/Peri (probably the closest in terms of social status IMO) mentions it as rumors. However, Peri herself makes no effort to hide what she's done. If it was something that could well and truly get her family in trouble, I don't think she'd be as free with it as she is in her supports. Thus, either her family is bleeding money (pun intended) to both hire servants and keep people quiet, or society sees it as one of those "don't ask, don't tell" deals.

EDIT: Right, Felicia/Peri. Had Felicia actually died, I think Corrin would've done something about Peri.

Edited by eggclipse

Thanks for that Peri breakdown, eclipse. Very telling and enlightening. ~3~

Just want to add that Game of Thrones-esque amounts of murder aren't even super unheard of in Nohrian culture in general, judging by the concubine wars that were going on with the Royal Family and whatnot.

Not to say everyone is super okay with it or anything, but it seems like they're kind of trying to reinforce the 'harsh way of life in Nohr' thing in that regard, at least to me. Peri's stuff isn't 'normal' by any means (Silas seems like a pretty good barometer of normalcy for their social class), but it's MORE normal (or accepted, anyway) than it would be in most FE cultures, I guess

Edited by BANRYU

1. Shitty writing.

Self-explanatory.

---

Which leads me to yet another unpopular opinion of mine that characters and story should be as barebones as possible.

That was interesintg read, I think I understand her a little bit more... I still don't like her :P

I completed Gheb-FE, and I have to say it would be a great hack gameplaywise, it it wasn't designed so careless in some points.

It had some cool ideas like stealing or third tier class, but all the bugs and glitches dropped the fun. I even had to replay an entire chapter because the game was frozen. Also the balance of the classes and units is stupid.

But all in all it's not the worst FE game / hack I've played yet. I even tend to replay it on hard mode.

EDIT: Oops this was a different thread, nevermind that.

Weighing in with something relevant, I really never saw what the big deal was about having third-tier classes. It just kinda seems like needless power escalation to me; I'd take branching promotions over third-tiers any day.

Edited by Topaz Light

I definitely don't see the point of third tier classes. The way Fire Emblem generally goes is each unpromoted unit has one weapon before promotion (with the only exception being cavalier), and then on promotion, they gain a new weapon or some sort of innate passive for not obtaining a second weapon on promotion. Third tier would only work in my eyes if you had multiple splits like a mage can promote to a get stronger with spells or obtain a horse in tier 2, and then the tier three of horse versus non-mounted becomes spell variety versus a mount. But that would require a mage class to have like 6 classes branching from its base (2 2nd tier, and 4 third tier), which I think is kind of a waste.

The main asset of having third-tier class IMO is to keep getting EXP if the game's too long without reducing exp/enemy killed. If IS did that, there would have been several issues : leveling would've seem really longer than usual', so it would've been more boring to play and units' stats would be incredibly condensed. And RD has a lot a units joining already promoted and at mid level (to follow PoR) so it would be frustrating if they hit the cap too quickly.

And promoting our units is always a great moment (new stats, new battle models, etc), so I'm not against it if the game's long enough.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Third Tiers are something I find cool in concept but not in execution, in FE10 anyway as FE2 did it rather neatly for that eras standards, but in FE10 they were just redundant. Most units started tier 2 anyway, so the third tier felt more like a everyday promotion instead of a true third tier.

It'd be neat for plot purposes tho, say before the final battle if the player completed various game requirements the lord gets promoted into a third tier class which no one else can do that's really powerful ala Firece Deity Link in MM.

Third Tier Classes are part of the reason FE10's balancing is out of whack, really.

The Greil Mercs all start tier 2... so they can get there feasibly.

The problem here is this shafts the DB, who are available for only slightly more chapters.

If the GM's just started as Tier ones with a three level or so more than the base DB (with enemies scaled accordingly) then the issue would be smaller

Crimean Knights + Tormod and friends just flat out need more chapters, though, their availability is just awful.

It also sucks that there aren't any 3rd Tier enemies outside of the Bosses in the final chapters. And even then, Oliver may not even count since he joins your team. That just leaves Lekain, Hetzel, Levail, Black Knight, and Sephiran. Dheginsea and Ashera aren't actual 3rd Tiers due to being on a different type of class.

I kinda like Chrom's design. It honestly seems like they had no idea what direction to go at first (and considering Higuchi admitted to repeatedly face-desking at Kusakihira's artwork, I'd say that it's more than likely), so they just tried out a ton of different things.

Asymmetrical design? Sure.

Scar or brand? Why not.

Belts in odd places? Sign us up.

If you have his trophy in Smash (either version- the 3DS trophies are surprisingly high quality), you should probable check it out there- it's the only way to get a decent 360-degree view of his design as Awakening's models are poor.

I guess I find it funny, but also oddly aesthetically pleasing. What makes it stand out is that almost none of that stuff ever got repeated in Awakening or Fates.

I kinda like Chrom's design. It honestly seems like they had no idea what direction to go at first (and considering Higuchi admitted to repeatedly face-desking at Kusakihira's artwork, I'd say that it's more than likely), so they just tried out a ton of different things.

Asymmetrical design? Sure.

Scar or brand? Why not.

Belts in odd places? Sign us up.

If you have his trophy in Smash (either version- the 3DS trophies are surprisingly high quality), you should probable check it out there- it's the only way to get a decent 360-degree view of his design as Awakening's models are poor.

I guess I find it funny, but also oddly aesthetically pleasing. What makes it stand out is that almost none of that stuff ever got repeated in Awakening or Fates.

I guess they tried a lot of things to make the new lord the most appealing possible to promote the game, but make it still feels like a Fire Emblem MC

I guess they tried a lot of things to make the new lord the most appealing possible to promote the game, but make it still feels like a Fire Emblem MC

Chrom's look might be that they were going with something that was both simultaneously fresh but familiar at the same time. I might actually blame Lucina for why Chrom had so many redesigns on the account that Lucina is intentionally designed to look like Marth, and they didn't want another character that looked too close to Marth again when they already had one in place. That said, I think that Chrom came out pretty good considering some of the more questionable designs that came from Awakening. I can agree that Chrom is not one of those questionable designs.