More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

Once upon a time, there was Intelligent Systems that was sort of founded by some of the Nintendo staff that grew to be a gaming company it is now known as today.

Within this time, they made a game called Fire Emblem: Blade of light for the NES in Japan and while the game was never intended to be sold commercially, it ended up doing that and as a result, Fire Emblem became IS main IP.

And yet, Nintendo for some reason decided to remain this IP exclusive in Japan so US didn't get to see FE at all until by accident, Nintendo released two smash characters that were based on Fire Emblem and the western market was curious about them....that and after the release of Advance Wars, Nintendo decided "hmm, maybe they want Fia Emblem too!"

And so we get Blazing Blade and it hit pretty hard as that was the game that made Nintendo wanted to release FE overseas. So with this we end up getting great FE games and Nintendo is all happy and dandy....right?

Yeah, the big bombs started showing up, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and New Mystery of the Emblem. So Nintendo with this decided to like literally blackmail IS that if the next FE game doesn't sell at least 250k, they are screwed and somehow by heaven's luck, Awakening sold huger than what Blazing Blade did and then Fates outdid them both in a matter of weeks.

So what I'm getting at? Fire Emblem unlike the other IPs has a very...very odd and underwhelming history and leaves a lot of questions left unanswered.

Usually when an IP is introduced and when an IP is being successful, fans tend to learn how the franchise came out to be and what inspired the devs to like do what eventually made the series happen. Like Mario for example, Miyamoto got the idea of making Super Mario when he went out and explored stuff from within and from reading books like Alice in Wonderland which is how the idea of the Mushroom Kingdom existed. Or how about Pokemon which is basically inspired by the Japanese old hobby Bug catching?

Well...where is that kind of inspiration depth for Fire Emblem? Better yet, why has Nintendo kept that a secret for so long even now? All I read whenever I research for how FE came out to be is that the devs wanted to make a simulation game and they mixed ideas from Advance Wars and added elements from Dragon's Quest..that's it. Nothing that deep or even that thoughtful.

Now I'm very sure that you'll mention Shouzou Kaga that he's the main creator for FE. Well if he's the main one behind FE, then what was his reason of quitting Nintendo? We got the reason why Masahiro Sakurai left Hal because Hal kept forcing him to milk more Kirby games so what about Kaga-San's case? Nothing....and we know so little of what he's doing now.

So ok leave out that one, why aren't we getting more interviews from music composer Yuka Tsujiyoko like the main composer behind FE? We get a heap chunk of interviews from Koji Kondo but why not from her?

Then this gives Nintendo the big doubt here...why have they decided to give it multiple chances? They could've easily left out the IP like how they left out F-Zero, Advance Wars, Golden Sun and many..many more? Why is it that Nintendo still had faith in it knowing that it was never going to do even Zelda numbers in the first place? By that logic, then they should develop the same faith in other IPs like Metroid and F-Zero and honestly...Advance Wars.

This alone leaves some point unanswered like.

1. Why they decided to make Radiant Dawn hard as hell when they could just do the same thing they did for Blazing Blade and PoR?

2. Why did they decide to only release New Mystery of the Emblem Japan exclusive when quite frankly, they are partly to blame for the low sales of said bomb games?

3. Why has Nintendo not provided proper resources to make said bombs have hopes of selling them better? When you look at PoR and RD, the graphics are objectively ugly and don't even come on par with that of..say Luigi's Mansion?

These are a lot of things that I just don't get when looking at this IP. At first and midway, no one's heard of FE except its niche audience and now all of a sudden, people know it for some magic that Awakening did. and now...people are crazy about FE like Pokemon.

However, with all of this said, I love Fire Emblem simply because it is such a great series to me and I aim to play FE games consistently like how I do for Mario, Zelda Kirby etc and if it weren't for Awakening, I wouldn't have gotten into FE at all.

But if Nintendo thinks FE as a major IP, I think they should provide the information and unanswered questions resolved. Like for example, how many units has the FE franchise sold overall?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Harvey said:

1. Why they decided to make Radiant Dawn hard as hell when they could just do the same thing they did for Blazing Blade and PoR?

2. Why did they decide to only release New Mystery of the Emblem Japan exclusive when quite frankly, they are partly to blame for the low sales of said bomb games?

3. Why has Nintendo not provided proper resources to make said bombs have hopes of selling them better? When you look at PoR and RD, the graphics are objectively ugly and don't even come on par with that of..say Luigi's Mansion?

1. Radiant Dawn is not that hard of a game. It may be a long game, but not a terribly difficult one. The game just requires a bit more patience than many of the other games in the series (at least, more patience than the GBA games). The international releases were also made easier than the Japanese version with permanent battle saves on the lower two difficulties and some characters given buffs and special weapons (as well as forging being made easier and promotion items no longer being required). You should also remember that Easy is the default difficulty (because Normal, Hard, and Lunatic were renamed Easy, Normal, and Hard in the Western versions for some weird reason).

2. I guess they wanted to cut their losses as New Mystery of the Emblem sold just as much in Japan as Shadow Dragon did, so they figured that translating the game would be a waste of time and money. Although you are definitely right about it being it partially their own fault (Japanese video game companies have really been dropping the ball a lot lately).

3. I think the graphics were not the problem (Animal Crossing has graphics that are just as, if not more, low-poly as the Tellius games). I believe you were on the right track with the advertising for those games being poor amongst other factors (Path of Radiance was released on a system that sold horribly with little advertisement, and Radiant Dawn was a sequel to a game that sold poorly released around the same time as Mario Galaxy--and I think Brawl--with almost no advertisement).

Literally any Fire Emblem Awakening character makes a better husband than Chrom.

Literally any Fire Emblem Fates character makes a better husband than Xander, Leo, or Silas.

Severa is an absolute asshole and I hate her for it.

I actually like using archers in Awakening.

I don't like any of Fire Emblem's dragon designs for various reasons.

I didnt like the upright standing the Tellius dragons had. That and they were too large for their wings.

Awakening Dragons were way too small. Fates dragons were too wierd and tried too much. Corrin looked like a pokemon. Lilith was...I dont know what that was honestly, and Anankos was some wierd eyball beholder dragon wannabe thing. They tried too hard with those designs.

The older dragons vary too much and look a little weird for me as well. And Heroes... I dont know what to say about that. One of them looks like a cross between a chicken and a dragon. There is a quetzalcoatl, and then there is literal chicken dragon.

I much prefer a more classic look for dragons.

Stuff like that. Those are good dragons to me. I don't mind someone taking their own take on a classic, or implementing their own designs. But Fire Emblem either tries too little or tries too hard.

Edited by Tolvir

40 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I don't like any of Fire Emblem's dragon designs for various reasons.

I didnt like the upright standing the Tellius dragons had. That and they were too large for their wings.

Awakening Dragons were way too small. Fates dragons were too wierd and tried too much. Corrin looked like a pokemon. Lilith was...I dont know what that was honestly, and Anankos was some wierd eyball beholder dragon wannabe thing. They tried too hard with those designs.

The older dragons vary too much and look a little weird for me as well. And Heroes... I dont know what to say about that. One of them looks like a cross between a chicken and a dragon. There is a quetzalcoatl, and then there is literal chicken dragon.

I much prefer a more classic look for dragons.

Stuff like that. Those are good dragons to me. I don't mind someone taking their own take on a classic, or implementing their own designs. But Fire Emblem either tries too little or tries too hard.

Magvel dragons look like classic dragons.

Fae's critical sneeze animation (in FE6) is the most amazing animation in the entire franchise. Such adorable death and destruction!