Refuse to choose a side on first playthrough?

OnYx

I picked up my limited edition fire emblem fates yesterday (release day), and in chapter 6 I was asked to make a choice. The choice I want to make is to 'refuse to pick a side'. The game then suggest that I first play through the other two options first. Now I still went with the choice to refuse to pick a side, and I was wondering why the game was suggesting me to first finish the game while playing through the other 2 options before picking this option? Does this option make it harder because now I'm facing both armies on my own instead of joining one side, and only fighting one? (just finished the chapter where I had to beat both commanders within 5 turns) Thought this was a bit weird, and it made me curious enough to ask about that here. So should I continue playing with the choice I want to make or follow the games suggestion?

Interesting, but wouldn't the reverse be true also? (If I choose another route it would spoil this one and the other one too)

Incorrect Revelations was designed with knowing that the player would have atleast played one other route

Very strange... Why even allow the choice if it's really not supposed to be played until after you've finished another route. This is very confusing to me.

Probably because the game was kind of marketed with just the choice between Hoshido and Nohr from when the game was first announced. So, by then people knew which side they wanted to play since Revelation wasn't revealed until, idk, a few weeks or months after Conquest and Birthright had been out in Japan and then players who've finished one of the routes or both would play that.

But I get your confusion - by now the choice is a bit pointless since Revelation is available from the start rather than later where you pick from just Conquest and Birthright.

Revelation is kind of that route where it's good to have a least some sort of grasp of what the world is like from Birthright or Conquest but if you feel strongly about Revelation, just go for it.

Thx a lot for your input, really appreciate it. I just ordered the special edition as soon as I saw that I could, and wasn't aware that there were two different games released earlier in Japan and later a third which now represent the three different choices in the version of the game I own (did I understand you correctly?).

I did feel strongly about my decision, but the suggestion that the game gave me confused me, and I don't want to ruin the game for myself by making a wrong choice. That being said I would like to refuse picking a side and watch the story unfold without alligning with either side as long as the game doesn't assume that I've already played the other choices, and makes conversations/ story/ backgrounds confusing.

Well, Japanese players could get the SE that had a three paths but they wouldn't be able to play Revelation because it wasn't released yet so they had to choose between the two.

Edited by carefreejules

The main problem with playing Revelations first is that it makes the other two routes pointless in my opinion. It doesn't actually spoil that much it just makes it clear that you have taken the 'correct' route.

Revelations contains a lot of spoilers for both other routes, and it would we difficult to understand if you haven't played at least one of the other routes. I would seriously recommend playing Birthright and Conquest first, and then start Revelation.

I feel like picking neither side is the correct choice, too. Playing Conquest felt especially wrong to me the first time I played it - the game goes out of its way to emphasize how truly evil Garon is, and the story is utterly absurd.

Having said that... I do echo everyone else in suggesting you choose a side first, for the character backgrounds and story components. Plus it makes Revelations more satisfying to choose afterwards.

I get why you would want to choose Revelation first, but you really should start with the other two routes. World-building and character development in the story are minimal as it is, but it's practically non-existent in Revelation. The pacing is way off too, you'll get bunches of units thrown at you and it'll probably be harder to decide who you want to use. You aren't missing anything by going back and doing the other two routes first, but you probably will feel weird doing Revelation first after a few chapters.

Thanks for all the input. So everyone seems to agree that I should go throigh the other choices first. Since I keep seeing it mentioned that I should play through all three choices seperately I do have a question: Do I get to continue with the already trained characters (with developed relationships etc.), or do I have to restart as if I hadn't played the game yet (so retrain and rebuild relationships with all of my characters etc.)?

If you choose Branch of Fate on the opening menu, you can go back to the choice between routes and pick again, but save in a different spot so that when you eventually get to the 3rd route (refuse to pick a side) you won't have to start over. Just wanted to let you know that's an option.

Additionally, if you want to play on a harder difficulty, you'll have to start an entirely new game and go through the first few chapters again. I had to do this when I went from Conquest Normal to Birthright Hard. Lowering the difficulty is a lot simpler, I believe.

The others already told you about story, but I will add that playing the other routes first, it helps you to understand the new mechanics, like Defense stance and Dragon Veins. Revelations have a lot of gimmick maps (too much Dragon Veins and big maps), so, maybe you will like to get used to the gameplay first. In that case, siding with Hoshido first it helps a lot, since the route it's more easy and you can experiment with the features

Play the other routes first. Get Birthright out of the way, and then enjoy the wonderful path that is Conquest (gameplay-wise, at least). Then play Revelation for shits and giggles to get the whole story.

This is how I played Fates, and I was happy I did it that way.

Edited by Leif

Revelation does give a lot of story spoilers(of the other two routes) as soon as you start chapter 7. I did Birthright, Conquest, and I am currently in Revelation, and doing the first two allowed me to understand the characters better, because in Revelation you are given almost 5 characters each map(up to chapter 17). And some of them start out decently leveled and stat wise, but others are low leveled with the weakest stats ever.