KoF XIV Discussion Thread: PC version released

Jedi

I've been a pretty big SNK fan for quite some time, in particular of their Fatal Fury franchise, but that died long ago, KoF14 is the first KoF that has actually interested me properly since 2003, this is probably due in part to the fact that an old Fatal Fury creator is at the helm of it.

Anyone else gonna get it?

I tend to use the Fatal Fury cast almost exclusively, although I use a few characters outside it. And we have Nakoruru in this game from Samurai Shodown which is an interesting choice.

I haven't been too compeitive in a more traditional fighter in quite some time, but I'm looking to be in this one

The release dates are as such
NA August 23, 2016

JP August 25, 2016
EU August 26, 2016

Also the full roster is listed here, you can mix and match your own teams though

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/king-of-fighters-14-faq,news-22586.html

China Team: Shun’ei, Tung Fu Rue, Meitenkun

Japan Team: Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, Goro Daimon
Official Invitation Team: Sylvie, Kukri, Mian
South America Team: Nelson, Zarina, Bandeiras
Yagami Team: Iori Yagami, Vice, Mature
Kim Team: Kim Kaphwan, Gang-Il, Luong
Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, King of Dinosaurs
Another World Team: Nakoruru, Mui Mui, Love Heart
Villains Team: Xanadu, Chang Koehan, Choi Bounge
K’ Team: K’, Kula Diamond, Maxima
Ikari Team: Ralph Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern
South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, Hein
Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Joe higasi, Andy Bogard
Women Fighters Team: King, Mai Shiranui, Alice
Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, Sie Kensou, Chin Gentsai
Art of Fighting Team: Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Yuri Sakazaki

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might once I'm bored of SF5. Last KOF game I played was 12. I'll be maining Terry for sure. On a side note, I know graphics don't mean everything but this game looks early PS3.

SNK has a very low budget atm, haven't been doing so hot. I think it'll do ok.

I thought they were bought out by this huge Chinese company. Graphics aside I hope to get back on the KOF train again. The system so far looks nice, if not a bit simplified. Hopefully it's like Mark of Garou with the incredible hard super inputs.

Will I play KoF? That's like asking if I'm gonna be breathing.

Chang and Choi return, get frickin' hype~

We totally need to play some matches man. If it's a good game I'll be playing nonstop.

Who the heck are half these people?

Whether I get this depends on my bank account, and whether or not I still have to do something like HCF, QCB + two buttons or something ridiculous like that.

Decent amount of new characters. Some cameos from a few of their other games.

Probably will get, gameplay looks good even if its rough around the edges because of budget.

I'm sad about no Vanessa, though.

From what I heard, the staff had 2 ideas, like an entire cast of returners and an entire cast of newcomers.

They compromised.

Whether I get this depends on my bank account, and whether or not I still have to do something like HCF, QCB + two buttons or something ridiculous like that.

do it like me

press the buttons randomly by intuition and hope it works

I want that game, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough money for it, especially because of the summer sale.

do it like me

press the buttons randomly by intuition and hope it works

I want that game, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough money for it, especially because of the summer sale.

Them Steam Summer Sales are gonna kill peoples wallets again haha. I gotta get a PS4 just for this game, (And Xenoverse 2/Star Ocean 5) but I digress.

Who out of the cast do people think they'll use, any old favorites etc?

Ohman, I used to play KoF so much online back in the early 00s. Just seeing this thread title triggered a tonne of flashbacks. So many fun memories. <3

I don't own a PS4 and have no desire at all to buy one, so I'll certainly be passing on this, but it's good to know the franchise is still alive and kicking.

Ohman, I used to play KoF so much online back in the early 00s. Just seeing this thread title triggered a tonne of flashbacks. So many fun memories. <3

I don't own a PS4 and have no desire at all to buy one, so I'll certainly be passing on this, but it's good to know the franchise is still alive and kicking.

Oh really? That's neat, who did you use if I may ask?

I'm getting it for sure. Already got muh ps4 for this, Star Ocean 5, and Bloodborne. In fact, one of the very first community message boards I used to haunt was a Europe-based forum called Orochinagi. Good times.

Oh, and I'll probably be maining my old standby team of Terry, Ryo, and a rotation of others (K', Maxima, Mai, Kyo, Joe, some new char that looks cool). I hope Terry got over whatever mediocrity sickness plagued him in XIII, and I am glad that so far it looks like Hwa Jai is gone again (Eff that guy and his "All my moves are safe and do a ton of damage," BS. I mean why even put Joe in the game at that point?).

Also, here's hoping the netcode is better than the last few games, because after moving away from all my fighting game friends I essentially had to hang up my stick, because the online was so terrible.

Oh really? That's neat, who did you use if I may ask?

Mature was my main, with secondaries being a mix between Vice, Athena, Kasumi and Mai. Like most games, I preferred to play female characters whenever available. I actually started playing Mature because the guy who introduced me to KoF and taught me how to play and such used Iori and I was intrigued with the stories behind the characters. (I find amusing fighting game plots to be something of a guilty pleasure.)

Mature was my main, with secondaries being a mix between Vice, Athena, Kasumi and Mai. Like most games, I preferred to play female characters whenever available. I actually started playing Mature because the guy who introduced me to KoF and taught me how to play and such used Iori and I was intrigued with the stories behind the characters. (I find amusing fighting game plots to be something of a guilty pleasure.)

Mature and Vice, 2 characters I've always struggled fighting against ^^; thats a pretty neat way to get into it all! Also I love cheesy fighting game stories, simple and fun, with some dark twists here and there, makes me like certain characters even more!

Heck yeah, nice to see another Mature player~ Besides my two main bois, I play her, Leona, and Whip a lot. She's currently my PSN avatar :v

Also, for anyone curious, I'll lay down some info on some of these chars.

King of Dinosaurs from the Mexico Team is actually Tizoc from Garou Mark of the Wolves.

Besides Nakoruru (from Samsho) the Another World Team is made up of pachislot characters. Mui Mui is from Dragon Gal, and Love Heart is from Sky Love. Speaking of pachislot, Alice from the Women's Fighter Team gained her current design (and pretty much whatever popularity she has) from the Fatal Fury pachislot series. She actually first appeared in Kim's Real Bout Fatal Fury ending.

As for the newcomers, we've seen gameplay trailers for Shun'ei (guy has frickin animu airdashes, he's also the new main char for the saga similar to K'/Ash/etc.), Sylvie (ponponpon), Kukri (sandy sand), Nelson (Latino Little Mac with robo-arm), Banderas (joke ninja), Luong (leg waifu, apparently Kim's Master's wife), and Mui Mui.

The remaining newcomers are Mian (mask chick), Zarina (Laura toucan waifu), Gang-Il (Kim's master), (Legend of?) Xanadu (creepy dude), and Hein (Geese's butler).

I can also post any char pics/trailers you wanna see.

Its funny to see that Kim finally gave up rehabilitating villains, for now anyways.

Also I figured KoD was Tizoc, the body types were strikingly similar.

Edited by Jedi

I can also post any char pics/trailers you wanna see.

Since I'm equally bad with everyone, I'm gonna request as many as possible. If there's a play list, all the better! If my Smash preferences are worth anything, I like playing with a bit of range (think Marth).

There doesn't seem to be a playlist anywhere... fortunately they have them all listed on their main site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGI8F48lv24

this vid introduces all the teams, as well as some gameplay modes and mechanics.

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/command/

character movelists

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/movie/index.php#teammovie

towards the bottom of the page, you'll want to have a look at the teaser trailers.

I'll list the trailers and what chars debut in them

1. Kyo, Iori

2. Leona, Chang

3. Andy

4. Kula, Ralf, Billy, King, Angel

5. Robert, Benimaru, K'

6. King of Dinosaurs, Clark, Terry, Maxima

7. Chin, Tung Fu Rue, Choi

8. Sylvie, Vice, Kim

9. Athena, Nelson, Luong

10. Geese, Ryo

11. Mui Mui, Kukri

12. Banderas, Mai

aaaand they don;t have the newest one, so here~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_x8Z3ogwI

13. Nakoruru, Shun'ei

They're also posting team trailers on this page, so far they only have the Japan and Yagami teams (this is also the only footage of Daimon and Mature we have) Some of the trailers are kinda lacking in showing of the character moves (especially the earlier ones) so this should be a nice source once they start posting more.

You want some char recs? Well... depends on how much range you want :P Billy might be your cup of tea, but the stick might be overkill on your desire for range. (I'm also not much of a Billy guy so I can't hep you too much here. He's pretty easy to use in terms of execution but I've always found him to be a bit counterintuitive.) Of course Chang has some devastating range. I can like, totally ramble hardcore about Chang if you want :v

Kula and Mature have plenty of safe moves with good reach, including some amazing light standing/crouching normals. Definitely good picks if you're into spacing. Kula might be better if you like controlling the pace of the match, while Mature can be played aggressively once she gains momentum with her frickin' giant projectile that she can run behind.

Daimon has great reach on his normals (jumping heavy kick holy dang), and you can play him really defensively this way.

Terry, Athena, and Iori have some nice range on some of their moves as well, but I would also recommend them simply as being good beginner chars.

And in terms of new chars, Luong looks like she has some crazy range on her kicks.

On another note, I'll be playing the demo for this at Combo Breaker this weekend. I'm not sure if they'll have a new demo build, but I'll definitely be able to try out Chang and Choi~ I'm also looking to try out Sylvie. Gonna be so hype~

Edited by Gemma

Oooh, thanks~! Luong sounds like she might be my speed, if she's not super-technical. I'm not into throwing people, so Daimon's out (and yes, I tried, and yes, I regretted everything).

EDIT: I might be able to pull Shun'ei. . .we'll see~!

Edited by eclipse

Yeah, I don't know too much about Luong, but her one special move is a kick that like goes halfscreen, it's crazy @_@

Haha, I do enjoy playing grapplers in KoF but sometimes I feel they can be exhausting for me. tbh for Daimon I don't know the inputs for like the majority of his grabs :v He has some crazy tools that I'm not into using.

. . .yep, Luong looks technical. Not quite sure what to make of Kukri (will literally need to see his entire moveset), but he looks irritating.

Will probably peruse move sets in full once they come out, then make up my mind.