Cipher Series 7 - Info, News, Leaks, & Discussion: Dec 16: Tournament Promos Revealed!

Kirie

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say probably Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Ninian, Nino, and Nergal. If they really want to troll us switch Nergal with the Fire Dragon.

This is actually a pretty good guess. The 3 Lords are a shoe in, and Nino is very popular (in fact, Nino won the top spot of the Japanese popularity poll!).

Ninian's the one I'm most iffy on. She's plot important, but she's pretty down low in the popularity poll (17th). Rebecca is actually the 3rd most popular female (Nino in 1st, Lyn in 6th), with Florina being 4th (15th). Personally, I'd love Florina to get an SR, and they do love making SR flyers, but I'm almost wondering if they'll skew the male/female ratios again since male characters seem to be more popular in this game.

In fact, speaking of popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an outlier villain SR like we did in S5. Narcian was an SR and he was also a villain who scored rather highly in popularity; similarly, Lloyd is pretty high on the popularity poll (7th place), and he seems to be much more popular than Nergal.

I think I'll make my official prediction: Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Nino, Lloyd, and... one of Raven/Matthew/Rebecca/Florina. It's always the last one that's most difficult. :P

This is actually a pretty good guess. The 3 Lords are a shoe in, and Nino is very popular (in fact, Nino won the top spot of the Japanese popularity poll!).

Ninian's the one I'm most iffy on. She's plot important, but she's pretty down low in the popularity poll (17th). Rebecca is actually the 3rd most popular female (Nino in 1st, Lyn in 6th), with Florina being 4th (15th). Personally, I'd love Florina to get an SR, and they do love making SR flyers, but I'm almost wondering if they'll skew the male/female ratios again since male characters seem to be more popular in this game.

In fact, speaking of popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an outlier villain SR like we did in S5. Narcian was an SR and he was also a villain who scored rather highly in popularity; similarly, Lloyd is pretty high on the popularity poll (7th place), and he seems to be much more popular than Nergal.

I think I'll make my official prediction: Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Nino, Lloyd, and... one of Raven/Matthew/Rebecca/Florina. It's always the last one that's most difficult. :P

There should always be a clear balance between importance and popularity when it comes to selecting a set amount of characters from a big roster. Personality though I think that balance should always lean more towards importance than to popularity, the reverse carries the risk of pandering.

You mentioned two prime examples of that in your post. Lloyd may be more popular than Nergal but in the end you really can't justify not putting the main villain in a collection of characters. He's one of the most important characters of his game and not actively unpopular as far as I've seen. Same with Ninian, Lyn aside she's the closest thing 7 has to a main heroine and the implication of her pairings with Eliwood seem the most favored by the plot. I'm all in for giving a tad extra to that one character who's universally liked but that shouldn't come at the cost of characters who deserve their place. If Nergal or Ninian weren't there that the deck would certainly miss something.

Selecting on popularity also carries an additional risk when it comes to Japanese series like Fire emblem. There's an ever present risk that the popularity that gets characters selected is merely their Japanese popularity.

It is a card game, importance doesn't really matter, card games exist to push merchandise and popular characters push the merchandise more.

And of course it's going to be selected on Japanese popularity, the game only exists in Japan.

As for my six.

Think it will be Eliwood/Ninian/Hector/Lyn/Nino, going to through Jaffar as the sixth spot over Lloyd, because I do agree with Hardin in that Lloyd would share a panorama with Linus. Florina will get a R and be together with her sisters.

For Hoshido 4 Royals + Mikoto/Oboro.

Edited by Draxal

There should always be a clear balance between importance and popularity when it comes to selecting a set amount of characters from a big roster. Personality though I think that balance should always lean more towards importance than to popularity, the reverse carries the risk of pandering.

You mentioned two prime examples of that in your post. Lloyd may be more popular than Nergal but in the end you really can't justify not putting the main villain in a collection of characters. He's one of the most important characters of his game and not actively unpopular as far as I've seen. Same with Ninian, Lyn aside she's the closest thing 7 has to a main heroine and the implication of her pairings with Eliwood seem the most favored by the plot. I'm all in for giving a tad extra to that one character who's universally liked but that shouldn't come at the cost of characters who deserve their place. If Nergal or Ninian weren't there that the deck would certainly miss something.

Selecting on popularity also carries an additional risk when it comes to Japanese series like Fire emblem. There's an ever present risk that the popularity that gets characters selected is merely their Japanese popularity.

Popularity sells cards; importance doesn't. We didn't get Zephiel in the FE6, we instead got Narcian SR, because he's popular. Sumia is is the Chrom wife that's most favoured by the plot of Awakening, and she just got one R. Compare that to Cordelia's 2 SRs, because she's popular.

Also, since Cipher is a Japan-only game, they only care about Japanese popularity. There's been zero sign that the game is being brought over to the States, so they can (and are) using Japanese popularity as an important metric.

I understand the point you're conveying, but my opinions aren't just coming out of my ass; they're based on the precedent the game has so far, and that precedent has been that popular characters get the boosts and the cards because popularity is what makes them money. This isn't to say that 100% of Cipher's decisions come down to following this model, but it's a decent basis for an estimate.

In the sense that Mia and Cordelia have gotten two SRs, whatever happens happens.

Binding Blade will eventually return anyway, it's not like a set won't return as there are so many characters that need to be done STILL.

Cipher tends to be skewed towards popularity most of the time, hence Charlotte getting a few cool cards in Series 6.

Caeda/Shiida, Lilina, Elincia and Sothe got their SR cards for their popularity... Dierdre looks like the only exception... And well... How many female characters are in FE4 1st Gen anyway?

I completely doubt from Ninian's Chance.

My only "safe" picks for the SR are the Lords and Nino (for the same reasons that characters like Mia and Cordelia).

Caeda/Shiida, Lilina, Elincia and Sothe got their SR cards for their popularity... Dierdre looks like the only exception... And well... How many female characters are in FE4 1st Gen anyway?

I completely doubt from Ninian's Chance.

Or perhaps they got it for being the "heroine" of their game (in the same fashion as their spotpass place in Awakening).

There are 9 playble girls in FE4 each gen.

Or perhaps they got it for being the "heroine" of their game (in the same fashion as their spotpass place in Awakening).

There are 9 playble girls in FE4 each gen.

Oh! That right! Deirdre has the "heroine" role in the spotpass.

But Ninian won't have the same luck, we already have Lyn as the "heroine", with Nino and Florina as actual popular characters to balance the SR balance (but I'm only sure that Nino will get that position in the SRs)

Now that I'm thinking... It's impossible to have the three lords with SR+ in this Series because of the Hoshido/Nohr Poster Cards... So... I guess Eliwood... and... Lyn?

Edited by Troykv

I could potentially see the FE7 part of this set being the first where the main companion card (004-005/6) is just replaced with Hector and Lyn, given how important they are. Of course if that's not the case, then it's absolutely going to Ninian, and she'll likely get an SR as well. I also agree that if Lloyd's in this set, he's getting a panorama with his brother... but I don't necessarily think that means he won't get an SR because of it. They could be weird and give Linus an SR as well, but that's a huge stretch.

As for Hoshido, we know because of S6 Nohr that the panorama characters are all getting SR's and +'s n top of that (unfortunately imo), and a popular female will get an SR. Additionally, since a villain got the final SR for Nohr, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoshido get the same treatment here, though I doubt it'll go to Mikoto, since her counterpart (Garon) didn't get an SR.

With all that in mind, here's what I think we'll see...

FE7 (Where Ninian is 004-005/6): Eliwood(+), Ninian(+), Hector, Lyn, Nino, Matthew

FE7 (Where Ninian isn't 004-005/6): Eliwood(+), Hector, Lyn, Nino(+), Lloyd, Linus

Hoshido: Ryoma(+), Hinoka(+), Takumi(+), Sakura(+), Oboro, Sumeragi

Ninian wasn't a spot pass character due to her class.

I'm guessing she's getting the main female card just like Azura and Deirdre who weren't the most popular characters but got them anyway.

I could potentially see the FE7 part of this set being the first where the main companion card (004-005/6) is just replaced with Hector and Lyn, given how important they are. Of course if that's not the case, then it's absolutely going to Ninian, and she'll likely get an SR as well. I also agree that if Lloyd's in this set, he's getting a panorama with his brother... but I don't necessarily think that means he won't get an SR because of it. They could be weird and give Linus an SR as well, but that's a huge stretch.

As for Hoshido, we know because of S6 Nohr that the panorama characters are all getting SR's and +'s n top of that (unfortunately imo), and a popular female will get an SR. Additionally, since a villain got the final SR for Nohr, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoshido get the same treatment here, though I doubt it'll go to Mikoto, since her counterpart (Garon) didn't get an SR.

With all that in mind, here's what I think we'll see...

FE7 (Where Ninian is 004-005/6): Eliwood(+), Ninian(+), Hector, Lyn, Nino, Matthew

FE7 (Where Ninian isn't 004-005/6): Eliwood(+), Hector, Lyn, Nino(+), Lloyd, Linus

Hoshido: Ryoma(+), Hinoka(+), Takumi(+), Sakura(+), Oboro, Sumeragi

Let see if she got the luck to get that SR+ treatment with Eliwood.

Personally I would prefer see Nino with the SR+ XD

Ugh, I want to pre-order this next booster pack box, but this past series six one was so expensive! Was like $70. Anyone know of a cheaper way to get it? I did EMS shipping for series six on AmiAmi, but maybe I should do SAL?

Also, never played Blazing Sword, so not sure if it's worth it. I haven't played Holy War either, but the cards are pretty to look at, nonetheless. Anyone in a similar boat where they strongly prefer the Fates cards in these boosters due to a lack of knowledge on the other games?

Edited by Oscarsome

Well, yeah, it makes sense that you're not going to be as interested in characters of games you haven't played yet. :P Personally, I've played every FE game but FE3 and FE5, and Genealogy cards and Blazing Swords cards are the ones I've been most excited to get!

AmiAmi's boxes are around US$50 just for the box. If you want to save money, you can get cheaper shipping (EMS is the most expensive), but it will probably take longer for your cards to arrive, so it's a trade-off. AmiAmi is still the cheapest option for boxes as far as I've found.

Edited by Kirie

That's really only something you can decide for yourself, but there's plenty of time left to pre-order so you can wait and see what the cards look like before hand if you don't want to commit to a pre-order yet.

Do you think if I buy the box in Amiami it will be stopped by frontier control on Spain?

Stopped, no, but you'll probably have to pay customs fees for it. You'll want to check your local government/post office sites for customs information. For here (Netherlands) any commercial shipments worth more than €25 are charged VAT (21%) + a €13 processing fee.

---

Also, new sleeves have been revealed over twitter! Eliwood and Lyn for FE7 (expected) and Ryoma (expected) and Hana for Fates. I suppose this means Hana is probably a shoe-in for a Fates SR, though; my money is on Oboro for the final one. Except that Hana's Master of Arms art was shown in the ad already and it's not an SR. Would she get 2 promoted cards? I'm not sure about her SR status now.

9nDWRzI.jpg

Edited by Kirie

I was specifically thinking about the Fates sleeves/cards. There's room for both Oboro and Hana to get SRs, though, since we don't know if there will be another Fates villain SR and only 4 Fates SR slots are confirmed. But, yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we're not going to see a Hana SR and the last Fates SR will be something more unexpected (or maybe another villain I guess).

Edited by Kirie

I was specifically thinking about the Fates sleeves/cards. There's room for both Oboro and Hana to get SRs, though, since we don't know if there will be another Fates villain SR and only 4 Fates SR slots are confirmed. But, yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we're not going to see a Hana SR and the last Fates SR will be something more unexpected (or maybe another villain I guess).

Hoshido doesn't really have any villainous characters though. There's Kotaro, but I doubt that he'll get a card since Iago and Hans didn't. Maybe the last SR will go to Mikoto or Sumeragi instead?

Edited by Lightchao42