Smash 4, Character Discussion Revised (#35 Pikachu)

Jedi

Why would anyone pick Diddy Kong over Donkey Kong? He's bigger, faster, and stronger too, he's the first member of the DK crew!

(Has not mained either.)

Edited by Zera

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

diddy kong! I didn't enjoy him at first after playing him for a while he become really fun to use. He probably has the best neutral in the game with that banana. Fast, great throws, banana, dtilt, and aerials, and a command grab, diddy's moveset is really solid. while hoo hah has been nerfed, it can still kill and he still has a lot of other kill options. banana> fsmash, dtilt> usmash, dtilt > bair, bthrow, dtilt > dsmash, and utilt. the only thing i don't really like is his recovery since it can explode and you're dead. Even after the two nerfs, i'd say diddy is still a top 5 character. neutral and combos are really good. Diddy's MU spread is great. From what i remember the only ones where diddy players say diddy is at a disadvantage are Cloud, Sheik and Rosa.

I don't know enough about Diddy to write another essay but he's got a stupidly good neutral with his good aerials, strong B-reverse capabilities and the banana. His throw combos can't ko but are still good for damage, and he has dtilt and bananas for KO setups anyway. His up B can be gimped with the lightest tap so his vertical recovery is meh but his side B is pretty good so his horizontal recovery is good. Definitely top 10 for his solid neutral and combo game.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ HOO HAH ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Edited by Batter the Beast

My worst enemy. Seriously, I almost always lose to this guy. One wrong move (which for me is basically every move) gets me grabbed, monkey flipped, or juggled. Sorry about the mini rant, but i just find this dude so annoying.

diddy kong! I didn't enjoy him at first after playing him for a while he become really fun to use. He probably has the best neutral in the game with that banana. Fast, great throws, banana, dtilt, and aerials, and a command grab, diddy's moveset is really solid. while hoo hah has been nerfed, it can still kill and he still has a lot of other kill options. banana> fsmash, dtilt> usmash, dtilt > bair, bthrow, dtilt > dsmash, and utilt. the only thing i don't really like is his recovery since it can explode and you're dead. Even after the two nerfs, i'd say diddy is still a top 5 character. neutral and combos are really good. Diddy's MU spread is great. From what i remember the only ones where diddy players say diddy is at a disadvantage are Cloud, Sheik and Rosa.

I need to play vs your Diddy, I don't think I ever have.

It's time for a new BUMP.

DK.png
(Image from Kurogane)

General Frame Data and Stuff

Donkey Kong, with brutally long arms, powerful attacks, an amazing grab game, and great punishes, along with a fairly good ground speed, DK has proven himself to be quite the viable threat, he outranges a fair bit of the cast, and with his powerful grab game, comes fairly decent grab reach, however he falls into the same heavy weight issues, he struggles vs quick combos and projectiles, DK can have a hard time landing sometimes, but he should never be underestimated, he can close the distance much easier than most as well.

So what do people feel about DK!?

Edited by Jedi

Woo Dong, this guy is pretty fun to mess around with. Also he apparently beats Mario according to the Mario mains I've talked to so that's a plus in my book.

Dong has a bunch of disjoints on his tilts and a good bair for poking so he can poke a lot in neutral, but he has a difficult time getting in since he doesn't really have many fast moves or anything that can help him approach other than RAR bair sorta. However, once he gets in is where things get fun. DK loves a shield happy opponent because he can just grab them or outright break the shield. Both side and down B are good at shield breaking, and a fully charged fsmash can take the stock really early. From a grab, he has a lot of options from cargo throw. All the directional throws that I will talk about here will be from cargo throw cause his other throws aren't worth mentioning except the random bthrow cause it kills sometimes I guess. Up throw is the go-to at low %s since it combos into a bunch of % from bairs and upairs, and can KO at very specific %s when followed up by an upair (aka the DING-DONG). Bthrow is sometimes used for dank stagespikes (I still remember that one match Horace ):< ) and dthrow can KO if DK jumps off beforehand. He's also a heavy so rage is generally going to be a factor in a lot of his matches due to how high he can live unless he gets footstooled or meteored.

DK's biggest weakness is his vertical recovery because his double jump isn't the best and up B doesnt go very high at all. It covers a lot of horizontal distance though, so DK's should generally DI high cause they can recover almost all the time from high up. His up B is vulnerable to some meteors though, and if DK gets footstooled, that's most likely the stock right there. DK is also combo food because he's big and heavy, though up B is a decent escape tool as its intangible on frame 3 and does a metric ton of % if he catches the opponent in it, though it leaves him helpless so it's not that great to use on like FD or something due to the lack of platforms to land on. Oh he also has no projectile so catching up when behind is an uphill struggle.

I'd say DK is a solid high tier character. His ding-dong makes him a threat to all characters, and he generally has the poking tools to keep aggressive opponents at bay, but his flaws are a bit too glaring.

donggggg

He's one of my favourite video game characters so as a result i've played him a lot in smash. His pink alt is hilarious and he has one of if not the best taunt in the game.

He has heavy problems, but they aren't as bad as other heavies since his air speed is actually very good. If his nair was a bit faster framewise he'd have a way to break up combos too (aside from Upb which does work, but is a bad idea against some characters). His tilts rule, as does bair and uair, and fair is hilarious if you actually get a spike with it. His specials honestly kind of suck outside of dong punch (which is crazy with rage), but they have their uses (and are really threatening to shields). Actually on second thought, upB can be hilarious because it can do a TON of damage if you hit with everything. His recovery actually isn't too bad if you're ok at timing the startup on spinning kong, and he can go super deep since it's horizontal distance is hilarious, but he dies to footstools which is depressing. I kind of wish he had a walljump, he's a fucking monkey. I honestly don't think he uses rage as well as some other heavies, his tilts bar utilt don't kill, and his smashes are slow and have kind of wonky hitboxes. Bthrow is cool with rage, but ding dong with enough rage just isn't happening if it isn't at a very specific %, in which case he gets a hilarious kill at 40% or something.

My wishlist to make him more solid is a slightly faster nair, and spinning kong had the landing lag properties of the wind variation of the move.

donggggg

He's one of my favourite video game characters so as a result i've played him a lot in smash. His pink alt is hilarious and he has one of if not the best taunt in the game.

He has heavy problems, but they aren't as bad as other heavies since his air speed is actually very good. If his nair was a bit faster framewise he'd have a way to break up combos too (aside from Upb which does work, but is a bad idea against some characters). His tilts rule, as does bair and uair, and fair is hilarious if you actually get a spike with it. His specials honestly kind of suck outside of dong punch (which is crazy with rage), but they have their uses (and are really threatening to shields). Actually on second thought, upB can be hilarious because it can do a TON of damage if you hit with everything. His recovery actually isn't too bad if you're ok at timing the startup on spinning kong, and he can go super deep since it's horizontal distance is hilarious, but he dies to footstools which is depressing. I kind of wish he had a walljump, he's a fucking monkey. I honestly don't think he uses rage as well as some other heavies, his tilts bar utilt don't kill, and his smashes are slow and have kind of wonky hitboxes. Bthrow is cool with rage, but ding dong with enough rage just isn't happening if it isn't at a very specific %, in which case he gets a hilarious kill at 40% or something.

My wishlist to make him more solid is a slightly faster nair, and spinning kong had the landing lag properties of the wind variation of the move.

dong seems like a very funny character

Literally it's only use is to pull it out against an opponent that shields too much to break their shield.

Does it have any meteor properties in the air? I forget.

Haha I gotcha, also we are now moving onward.

Doubt this one will last very long.

Duck%20Hunt.png

(Image from Kurogane)

Frame Data and Stuff

Duck Hunt, one of the more projectile heavy characters in the game, with several funky attacks, they have been hard to place in anyones list coherently, originally thought of as one of the better characters, they are low in the minds of many people in the West, however he has seen a fair bit of success in Japanese tournaments, placing pretty well consistently.

Duck Hunt's whole shtick, is stage control and annoyance, with their various projectiles, and surprisingly quick neutrals in some instances, they can be a bit of a pain to fight, however Duck Hunt's biggest flaws are punishable through several means, Duck Hunt lacks a solid KO confirm of almost any kind, sure they can punish, but they don't really have an offensive guaranteed option. They have to make you, make an error to get a surefire kill at pretty high %, their grab game is ok, and their reach is pretty solid, their recovery however, while it covers tons of distance, has no hitboxes so you a literally a sitting duck if you don't maneuver properly.

Opinions on the Doge?

duck hunt sucks i hate him why is he in smash rip wolf

really though I know nothing about the character other than he's randomly placing well in japan right now and his animation for running off an edge is hilarious

I find him fun to play up until the point where I need to take a stock >:

-

and
seem like they take a long time to kill, but they're safer than his other kill options (nair, bair, uair, dair, smashes)

- Dthrow can link to fair (mid percents work best) and to uair (higher percents, but they can airdodge at kill percents, which could be punished)

- The gunmen are nice for getting your opponent to react with shield, allowing dhd to run up and grab

Shudda added Banjo and Kazooie / 10

His KO OPTIONS are really that bad, and his recovery is one of the most exploitable and meteorable ones in the game.