Smash 4, Character Discussion Revised (#35 Pikachu)

Jedi

Fsmash is safe on shield? Hmm, I just remember being annoyed because the trailer showed him powering through Mario's shield with it, granted it was the CGI segment but still I felt it would have massive shield damage, and it... doesn't do all that much.

Yeah Dsmash is BAD, it Ko's decently but it lags so hard in both the start up and aftermath, its unsafe in so many ways.

Dtilt is the tongue right? I felt it was ok at poking but nothing else, now that you mention it should all hit its like... Yeah why doesn't it? So many questionable design choices.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And since like, nobody seems to care about BowJow overall, lets just move on

Captain%20Falcon.png

(Image from Kurogane)

Frame Data And Such

Captain Falcon, the super fast F-Zero pilot, who commands a dominating presence, really fast, fairly powerful, good combos, decent grab game, all to his name, Falcon boasts a fairly dedicated player base, his hype is undeniable, with people getting excited just when the man lands a Knee. With overall solid aerials, a really dangerous jab alongside, he's threatening up close

His main weaknesses stem from his offstage performance, and if he is unable to get into an opponents zone, as he lacks a projectile. But his speed somewhat makes up for it.

He can also have a little bit of trouble sealing a stock completely off at higher %.

So whats everyones options on the mighty Falcon?

actual cancer

almost as bad as mario, but unlike mario he'll never win a major

edit: in all seriousness, there's not much to say. he's pure fundamentals.

Edited by Euklyd

I don't use Captain Falcon because the only time he does something from F-Zero is during his final smash. The only thing more painful than getting run over by a car is getting run over by a car breaking the sound barrier.

Captain Falcon's only weakness in the neutral is a lack of projectile, but he doesn't need it, for he is the projectile.

His only serious weakness is his gimpable recovery, which only affects him if the player is knocked offstage.

So he's a very good character.

Fun Fact: Prior to Sonic, Captain Falcon was the fastest runner in Smash, a reference to the extreme speed of F-Zero.

Edited by Zera

I honestly think he has potential to do something better than he has so far, but I don't think his players have optimized him yet. ZeRo's a great player, but it says a lot when he enters an all falcon tournament and totally decimates everyone there (including Fatality). Recovery is an issue though.

https://youtu.be/eqnT6EKhKXg?t=39m25s

ZeRo and fatailty (along with the rest of the tournament) for those interested

Edited by General Horace

I honestly think he has potential to do something better than he has so far, but I don't think his players have optimized him yet. ZeRo's a great player, but it says a lot when he enters an all falcon tournament and totally decimates everyone there (including Fatality). Recovery is an issue though.

https://youtu.be/eqnT6EKhKXg?t=39m25s

ZeRo and fatailty (along with the rest of the tournament) for those interested

Wow, he destroyed him and Fatality is really good! ._.

What I remember hearing is that even the Falcons can't tell what ZeRo is doing. Like, they look at what he does, and it's not the bread and butter or even like, they're things that shouldn't work, but they always do when he does them.

The person who was saying this said basically that they just think it's because he has such a level of understanding and familiarity that he knows the minutiae that does make things work, and so can be far more optimal than people understand.

Since Falcon is so fundamentals-based, that sort of deep understanding of the game itself will go a long way.

Is it just me, or does Roy feel like a sword-using (slightly laggier) Captain Falcon? The parallels are certainly there, with solid on-stage gameplay and good grabs while having sub-par recovery and no projectile.

Is it just me, or does Roy feel like a sword-using (slightly laggier) Captain Falcon? The parallels are certainly there, with solid on-stage gameplay and good grabs while having sub-par recovery and no projectile.

The parallels are there yes, although funny enough I think Falcon's legs are fairly more lengthy than the Sword of Seals is in this game.

But yeah, when I play Roy I'm fairly aggro and facing Falcons with him it does feel like we are gunning for similar things, although Falcon has overall better tools.

Edited by Jedi

[spoiler=The destructive force of FPCs (Falcon Punch Collisions)]

2 Falcon Punches - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S363ixv9oZk

4 Falcon Punches - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml3EAmi8AAg

8 Falcon Punches - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3KQ83wlE4

1 Falcon Punch and 1 Warlock Punch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4FT3KSeu28

Also, remember that ANYTHING to down taunt is a true combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQu_Uf6gdBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1jRIQDlCKk

The parallels are there yes, although funny enough I think Falcon's legs are fairly more lengthy than the Sword of Seals is in this game.

But yeah, when I play Roy I'm fairly aggro and facing Falcons with him it does feel like we are gunning for similar things, although Falcon has overall better tools.

*reminded of gif that showed that Sheik's and Marth's f-airs had the same range*

falcon is COOL. weak knee gimps are the truth. mastery of dash damcing is more crucial than ever with him since he's so fast. i think more people shoule do weak up air to tilts when edgeguarding, along with weak knee coverage. i also saw that the way zero spaced the stomp prevented fatality from getting back to the stage at all so i'll steal that. his combos still need some development, and nair > foostool is probably a near infinite.

don't think falcon and roy are similar at all. Falcon is very combo heavy and explosive, while Roy is, uh, a character with a strong fsmash. The comparison ends after comparing their speed.

both are pretty fundamentals based with relatively little depth, fast and strong enough to easily kill you off a mistake

but falcon has ezbake combos as well

falcon is way more deep than roy imo, he has some insane relevant footstool and jablock stuff, although it could just be the fact that nobody cares about roy, but I can't see him having anything as complicated. Falcon is also way more safe, you're generalizing them both a lot. Falcon's infinately better at edgeguarding too.

https://clips.twitch.tv/smashstudios/UgliestWormBrokeBack

there's no way roy can do that off a sheik fsmash (lol) punish

It's like saying villager and link are similar because they both zone with projectiles and are slow (movement wise)

Edited by General Horace

Yeah I don't think Falcon just boils down to fundamentals like say Mario or Pit do.

*reminded of gif that showed that Sheik's and Marth's f-airs had the same range*

Well thats been long changed, but yeah its kinda silly lol.

Bumping and this is more for Bowser but, some Bowser main (LordMix I think?) just beat Vinnie (One of the best Sheiks) and Void (Another dominant Sheik player) in a small tourney at Momocon, which has quite a number of big names, including Scatt, Void, Fatality, M2K, Nairo, Ally, Vinnie etc.

Not sure if we have footage, but it may have been off stream.

Edited by Jedi

It's time for our next character.

Charizard.png
(Image from Kurogane)

Frame Data and Stuff

Charizard, who's style has changed over the course of Smash 4's run, due to various patches making his grabs a much more viable option, is another Power Threat, if you make a mistake, Zard is there to blast you, he has some fairly decent moves at his disposal. He even has some wacky combos, but once again, he's heavy, he's slow in the air, while he finds it hard to land, his recovery is actually fairly decent having two moves, one of which reaches really far and is devastating to get hit by.

He has ok reach, but his laggier moves don't allow him to have as full a reign as he could. His grab game can end stocks, especially on stages with platforms, his uthrow is one of the best throws in the game, his ground speed is also really good.

Opinions on The ZARD!?

idk mewtwo's kill throws are pretty cool

but they're definitely not as cool as zard's