High-Level Arena Tips

Renall

Just a few things I've observed as I try to push arena rates to 100%:

• As far as I can tell, the Arena Shield is always respected in your own castle provided you only have it on one person. To make it even more certain, putting it on two members of a couple will guarantee one of them shows up. Your Arena Shield is completely ignored when visitors come to your castle, as is any given character's support partner. If your goal is to have units that fight well for visitors, you cannot force one in and have to be mindful of that.
  • At high levels and in later rounds, the enemy relentlessly cheats with its stats. Expect enemies with improbable Defense (Xander with capped Str runs up against GK with 50+ Def) and Speed (Onmyojis with 50+ Spd, etc.). For this reason, I think Wary Fighter and proc skills are the way to go in the arena: The enemy's overkill Spd is irrelevant if they cannot double, and you get proc skills while the enemy never does. Rend Heaven or Luna and Wary Fighter are huge boosts to survivability and damage output.
  • The arena counts as initiated combat, meaning Blow skills are always active. I believe that the arena also always counts as My Castle for the purpose of Dwyer's personal. Warding Blow is -20 magical damage taken at effectively all times in the arena. Certain Blow can also be a huge help as enemy Avoid rates are often absurd. I haven't tested this but I've also been told that if Selena is the partner her personal will activate every time she attacks after her lead unit crits once.
  • While partner units cannot activate skills, they can use damage boosting skills and Blow skills. Life and Death, Death Blow, and Certain Blow are really fantastic to have on the secondary unit. They can also serve as a Nohrian Trust bot, but I find the contribution of the partner is pretty important in terms of reliably beating arena enemies.
  • You do not seem to get inventory boosts (stat-boosting weapons, Battle/Visitation Seal boosts, etc.) while in the arena, as your inventory is replaced by a Bronze (if E rank in your class's primary weapon) or Iron weapon corresponding to the origin of the class (i.e. Hoshidan classes get Katanas/Naginatas/Clubs/Shuriken/Yumi/Scrolls and the reverse for Nohrians). However, you do get your class boosts. Any class with innate Crit has a pretty significant advantage in the arena because a critical with a proc almost always allows for a kill on the opponent.
  • The game seems to choose valid opponents -- that is, opponents who could engage the unit in regular combat at any particular range your unit could engage them -- with a bias toward having WTA against you. There seem to be two ways to exploit this: Bow units appear to only be matched against Hidden Weapons, other Bows, and Tomes; additionally, Stones are outside the weapon triangle.
  • The arena generates units based on the main unit and its chosen partner, before you choose which unit to send in. Having a very high-level unit partnered with a very low-level one can allow for shenanigans.

As far as I've been able to tell from experimentation, the best arena unit is probably a Sniper with Warding Blow and Bowbreaker (plus at least one activation like Aether, Luna, or Rend Heaven). You'll have WTA on Hidden Weapons, Breaker advantage on other Bows, and you'll take vastly less damage from Tomes which the game will select a lot as it's the only valid weapon that can get WTA on your arena lead. A partner with LaD / Certain Blow / Death Blow and a high-crit class like Berserker / Swordmaster / Master Ninja allows them to contribute significant damage through crits, which erases the damage penalty from support attacks; Berserker is one you'd have to be careful with as WTD could cause hit issues, so a Spear Master partner might be a better pick.

The other option would be a Wolfssenger or Nine-Tails since they're off the weapon triangle and will always get their weapon rank bonus. My only concern there is they'd probably be matched up against units with extremely high Def, so you'll want Aether or Luna to break through that. I haven't experimented enough to see whether other beast units can appear as arena opponents; if they do, I'm not sure if they get Beastbane or not. If they don't, you're pretty much safe because only Iron weapons appear in the arena. Same logic applies for using armored or dragon classes, you won't see Hammers or Wyrmslayers. You will however see bows matched up against fliers, so I don't recommend that.

If you're trying to make your castle's arena pretty reliable for visitors, you need to make sure every character who could show up in the arena is relatively self-sufficient. They don't get their partner so no support boosts (which sucks) and they can't use Nohrian Trust. Armored/Warding Blow and an activation skill are a big help; the arena seems to go a little easier on visitors but you still want to end fights fast because the enemy will tend to have a damage/hitrate advantage that skews victory odds in their favor.

tl;dr: Use Wary Fighter, Blow skills, and at least one activated battle skill in the arena and you'll win even high-level third rounds fairly consistently. Also Bows seem to only get matched against other 2 range weapons. Has anyone else observed trends in the arena that might be exploited to help win it, even with very high-level units?

Can't vouch for high level unit stuff since my highest level unit is Silas @ level 20 promoted. I do have one thing puzzling me. I feel like the -breaker skills only grant +25 avoid against said weapon type in the arena. I have tried Silas with and without Shurikenbreaker in the arena and from what I remember, the results tend to be around 80% hit rate before and around 50% after equipping Shurikenbreaker, respectively.

Let me retest my theory and I'll post my results.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Enemies definitely have some funkiness going on with hit/evade rates but I'm not sure of the exact math. I suspect in part that it's just their incredibly high Skl/Spd but it wouldn't shock me if Breakers were somehow nerfed against them since they're breaking so many rules otherwise.

After running some tests with Sniper Takumi + Witch Elise it does seem like you're better off with a physical partner because when you select a Bow user you end up against a fair number of high-Res units like Priestesses and Dark Knights. Tomes do demolish other Snipers though. In my testing I never once fought an enemy that wasn't innate 2 range when using Takumi, it was always Bows/Hidden/Tomes for the lead unit with a strong Bow/Tome bias. Since that somewhat minimizes the amount of coverage you need defensively, it's pretty handy. A Swordmaster might be the best partner choice, if only because they'll have WTA against Bows and be neutral against Tomes; Hidden Weapons are extremely rare since they get WTD against your Sniper and the arena will bias against giving itself a disadvantage.

Crit builds are the way to go, but RH/Luna/Aether are essential for those times you mysteriously get an enemy that reduces your damage to nothing due to insane Def/Res caps. Rend Heaven especially is incredible in physical-vs-physical matchups, as the enemies' cap-breaking Str ends up working against them.

Edited by Renall

I'd consider using a skill slot on Veteran Intuition because when arena enemies get to the point of breaking caps, they will have crit rates on you.

I have a save with Corrin with Hoshidan Unity, Quixotic and Lethality and he takes out enemies with ease. I plan on using a kid character for that (probably Caeldori as front fighter), with Siegbert (Rev)/Corrin (BR/Rev) backing her up. For my Nohr route, I think I'll go Soleil-Selena/Charlotte as daughter and mother (Selena would auto critical whenever Soleil does, and Charlotte would be a triangle breaker with a strong punch against pegasi, who'd be probably pitted against Soleil.

Anyway, I think that the combo HU-Q-L, probably with Pavise and Aegis (or Warding/Armored Blow, since enemy's hit would be buffed) as well, is a way to take down most enemies, since they don't have proc skills (that I have met).

I don't know if Arthur's personal skill is applicable, since that would be interesting to use in the Arena as well.

I have a save with Corrin with Hoshidan Unity, Quixotic and Lethality and he takes out enemies with ease. I plan on using a kid character for that (probably Caeldori as front fighter), with Siegbert (Rev)/Corrin (BR/Rev) backing her up. For my Nohr route, I think I'll go Soleil-Selena/Charlotte as daughter and mother (Selena would auto critical whenever Soleil does, and Charlotte would be a triangle breaker with a strong punch against pegasi, who'd be probably pitted against Soleil.

Anyway, I think that the combo HU-Q-L, probably with Pavise and Aegis (or Warding/Armored Blow, since enemy's hit would be buffed) as well, is a way to take down most enemies, since they don't have proc skills (that I have met).

I don't know if Arthur's personal skill is applicable, since that would be interesting to use in the Arena as well.

I don't think Quixotic is a good idea. Enemies don't need higher hit against you. Dedicating three skill slots to Lethality also strikes me as a waste of time, particularly since you need to be capable of dealing damage for Lethality to work and there will be times where an enemy is impossible to damage unless you deliberately keep levels low (which should be no problem in Conquest, but would be an issue in a grinding Birthright/Revelation file). Crits and defense penetration/overwhelming have been more reliable in my experience.

Not that Lethality isn't fantastic when it works, since as far as I can tell enemies do not have Miracle and none are immune to it; it's a valid setup. But critrate + RH/Luna is roughly as likely to proc, takes up fewer skill slots, and takes out enemies just as well.

Are personal skills applicable in the Arena? eg Bushido and Competitive for the crit boost

As far as I know it's considered to be a player-initiated battle with the unit not chosen as an Attack Stance partner. Any skills that work when a unit is "supporting" or "supported by" (Bushido, Competitive, the Partner personals, etc.) appear to work, as I believe does Xander's Chivalry since the enemy unit is considered to be at full HP when you initiate the battle (likewise, Leo's personal never triggers). Personal skills with conditional activations also work, such as Unmask against female opponents like Falcon Knights and Priestesses even when Charlotte is the support unit. I don't think Bibliophile works even if Ophelia is carrying lots of tomes, as it seems to temporarily replace or not count her inventory. Aching Blood probably doesn't work, unless unforged weapons of 12+ characters activate it? "Iron Naginata" happens to be 12 characters long, so if Odin were a Spear Master/Basara/Great Master he'd meet the character requirement, but if it requires a forge specifically then he's out of luck.

What I'm not sure about are aura personals such as Misfortunate or Quiet Strength, and adjacency skills like Heartseeker. I did some preliminary testing with Arthur and it does appear that the self part of Misfortunate works (i.e. enemies have higher crit chance on him), but based on his stats and base crit with Iron I'm not certain whether the enemy part works (i.e. Arthur does not appear to have a higher chance to crit them); if it did work, then Arthur as a Berserker supporting his wife would presumably grant both extra crit at no risk to himself, but I'm not sure it does. The problem is we can't see arena enemies' stats, so we can't extrapolate from our stats and their stats whether certain skills are working. My gut instinct is that the arena does not consider units to be located anywhere for the purpose of adjacency, but the easiest way to test it would be to see if Heartseeker works. I'll try looking into that.

I don't think Quixotic is a good idea. Enemies don't need higher hit against you. Dedicating three skill slots to Lethality also strikes me as a waste of time, particularly since you need to be capable of dealing damage for Lethality to work and there will be times where an enemy is impossible to damage unless you deliberately keep levels low (which should be no problem in Conquest, but would be an issue in a grinding Birthright/Revelation file). Crits and defense penetration/overwhelming have been more reliable in my experience.

Nevermind, just looked up on it. No more cheesing, it seems.

Not sure how good the Lodestar class can be in Arena -- highest Luck cap out of any class in the game as well as having a Skill cap that rivals that of Snipers, Heroes, and Master Ninjas, but is sword-locked.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I believe does Xander's Chivalry since the enemy unit is considered to be at full HP when you initiate the battle (likewise, Leo's personal never triggers).

So even if the fight takes multiple rounds, it's still considered "one turn"? Does that mean Xander's skill would activate for every hit he makes (since he starts the battle with the enemy at full HP)?

And yeah Odin's skill needs to be custom names on forged weapons

My swordmaster Hinata has been performing amazingly at the arena with Astra, Aether, Duelist Blow, Death Blow, and Veteran's Intuition equipped. Dodges even at the third battle.

Not that Lethality isn't fantastic when it works, since as far as I can tell enemies do not have Miracle and none are immune to it; it's a valid setup. But critrate + RH/Luna is roughly as likely to proc, takes up fewer skill slots, and takes out enemies just as well.

The front character always does damage unless the rear one is too powerful. Evennn though the game balances fights towards the AI, the player has to stand a chance, and if the main character can deal one point of damage (I've never faced an enemy that nullified my damage), he gets a 25-33% (with 35 SKL) chance of winning the round, regardless of the enemy damage and accuracy. If you take out Quixotic, but keep HU for RH/Luna, your character gets as much as 62% of RH activation (45% for Luna) with the same SKL stat, which is higher a higher rate, but the enemy might survive the blow. Trigering a critical, if the enemy has no LCK (which won't happen), might be as much as 15% (class) + 20% (Death Blow) + 17% (SKL), making a total of 42%. In this setup, you'd have a 26% chance of getting a critical RH and around a 17% of getting a critical Luna. Even when getting the skill to trigger is higher than the Lethality skill combo, getting it with a critical is still lower.

Nevermind, just looked up on it. No more cheesing, it seems.

Not sure how good the Lodestar class can be in Arena -- highest Luck cap out of any class in the game as well as having a Skill cap that rivals that of Snipers, Heroes, and Master Ninjas, but is sword-locked.

Since you always use your highest ranked weapon, using a weapon locked class actually bears some benefits (Avoid and/or Critical).

Skill activations increase the chance of winning in general versus the lower chance of winning immediately. With proper setup the enemy is never going to one-shot your unit, so it's better to almost definitely win in 2-3 attacks than possibly win in one.

Always use one of the S rank classes in the arena for the reason already stated: Weapon utility means nothing because the arena forces one weapon on you, and class bonuses are kept in the arena. Same thing with support bonuses, an S rank pair is better than an A rank pair (by perhaps not a ton, but it's there).

Haven't tried a Swordmaster with Duelist's Blow, but it probably cuts down on enemy hitrates a fair bit. My only concern is that the arena conspires to put you in WTD a lot of the time, which puts Avoid builds at a baseline disadvantage. The nice thing about Armored/Warding blow is they'll erase any WTD damage taken and much of the enemy's attack on top of that, and often completely negate the damage done by the enemy's support unit.

The front character always does damage unless the rear one is too powerful. Evennn though the game balances fights towards the AI, the player has to stand a chance, and if the main character can deal one point of damage (I've never faced an enemy that nullified my damage), he gets a 25-33% (with 35 SKL) chance of winning the round, regardless of the enemy damage and accuracy. If you take out Quixotic, but keep HU for RH/Luna, your character gets as much as 62% of RH activation (45% for Luna) with the same SKL stat, which is higher a higher rate, but the enemy might survive the blow. Trigering a critical, if the enemy has no LCK (which won't happen), might be as much as 15% (class) + 20% (Death Blow) + 17% (SKL), making a total of 42%. In this setup, you'd have a 26% chance of getting a critical RH and around a 17% of getting a critical Luna. Even when getting the skill to trigger is higher than the Lethality skill combo, getting it with a critical is still lower.

The problem is, Wary Fighter and Veteran Intuition are already practically mandatory to have a chance with super high level units, which leaves only 3 skill slots. I'd think there are better things I can do with my remaining 3 skill slots than Quixotic/Hoshidan Unity/Lethality...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

My swordmaster Hinata has been performing amazingly at the arena with Astra, Aether, Duelist Blow, Death Blow, and Veteran's Intuition equipped. Dodges even at the third battle.

Switch in Swordfaire fo Veteran's Intuition. It seems either Hinata's Avoid stat is already capped and can no longer be increased passed 98. With this said, his current speed is 34.

Haven't tried a Swordmaster with Duelist's Blow, but it probably cuts down on enemy hitrates a fair bit. My only concern is that the arena conspires to put you in WTD a lot of the time, which puts Avoid builds at a baseline disadvantage. The nice thing about Armored/Warding blow is they'll erase any WTD damage taken and much of the enemy's attack on top of that, and often completely negate the damage done by the enemy's support unit.

Oh, definitely. My Revelations Hinata is married to Azura so she is able to support him as his second with Warding Blow, Darting Blow, Air Superiority, and Axebreaker. I'm not sure if Foreign Princess is working because the -2/+2 is hard for me to notice.

I appear to be fighting Onymojis with 74 Attack:

• Takumi has 31 Resistance (and Competitive active).
  • Takumi has Warding Blow.
  • The enemy has 22 damage displayed against him (Ox Spirit so 5 Might and +3 from A weapon rank WTA).

That would mean the Onmyoji has 66 Magic, or charitably 61 Magic and Tomefaire. Or Warding Blow is secretly nerfed in arenas but even if it were half effectiveness that's still like 51 Magic. So uh, that's sure a thing.

EDIT: Also Mechanists with 50+ Def since Takumi is doing 0 damage to them with capped Strength, WTA, and an Iron Yumi. For those keeping score at home that's a personal mod of +19 Def that arena opponent's got. Or a hell of a lot of statues in those guys' castle.

Edited by Renall

I appear to be fighting Onymojis with 74 Attack:

• Takumi has 31 Resistance (and Competitive active).
  • Takumi has Warding Blow.
  • The enemy has 22 damage displayed against him (Ox Spirit so 5 Might and +3 from A weapon rank WTA).

That would mean the Onmyoji has 66 Magic, or charitably 61 Magic and Tomefaire. Or Warding Blow is secretly nerfed in arenas but even if it were half effectiveness that's still like 51 Magic. So uh, that's sure a thing.

EDIT: Also Mechanists with 50+ Def since Takumi is doing 0 damage to them with capped Strength, WTA, and an Iron Yumi. For those keeping score at home that's a personal mod of +19 Def that arena opponent's got. Or a hell of a lot of statues in those guys' castle.

at least we now know what to expect from fates version of apotheosis. (if there ever is one)

Given that Apotheosis had a few enemies that were pretty much "Player Phase this or don't even try to kill it" I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few enemy units in a hypothetical Fates-Apo that you more or less have to engage with a bunch of Blow skills and procs to hit them and not die. But hopefully the majority of enemy units don't have that going on.

I am also curious, and may need to test, whether altering the number of statues you have alters the stats of arena enemies.

Ok, here are some results from testing -breaker skills, specifically Shurikenbreaker. My area unit has always been Silas and he gained 1 level in between fights so there is a small variance in avoid calculations.

Equipped

Vs. Master Ninja: 62%, 53%, 61%, 81%, 59%, 56%, 71% -> Average ~56%
Vs. Mechanist: 54%, 66%, 52%, 56%, 56%, 59%, 60% -> Average ~57%
Vs. Maid: 59%, 55%, 65%, 67% -> Average ~59%

Unequipped

Vs. Master Ninja: 100%, 100%, 89%, 72%, 95%, 100% -> Average ~92%

Vs. Mechanist: 80%, 72%, 84%, 91%, 98%, 68%, 79%, 78%, 75% -> Average ~80%

Vs. Maid: 89%

All of the these are simply values I see on screen, with no regards to whether if each enemy is the front/back unit(do enemies get hit/crit/dodge/avoid bonuses from their supports?) nor which round they are fought in. From the data, it looks like to me that the -breaker skills work as advertised even in the arena, especially in the case when facing Master Ninjas. I don't fight enough Maids so there aren't much to say there.

It seems like offense is preferred over defense in the arena so Sol isn't worth a good skill slot. I found myself that most the times, if I defeated the enemy sooner, the amount healed by the arena is better than the self healing from Sol.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Offense will always be preferable for pretty logical reasons: The enemy is stat cheating, you get proc skills and they don't, and HP is the one stat that isn't cheated. Since crits do overkill damage anyway and most procs can take someone out in 1-2 activations, it seems like building for procs/crits is the foremost answer to overpowered enemies. That said, I think some defensiveness is warranted simply because there's no guarantee that first attack will be enough. But you only need enough defensiveness to survive 1-2 rounds of combat in general and you will have (hopefully) killed the opponent by then.

Ideally what we'd like to see, if possible, is a build that is as close to 100% victory in a single round as possible and as unlikely to die in a single enemy retaliation as possible. Bear in mind this build would include two characters, since your lead unit gets their partner attack before the enemy has a chance to act. I think it's pretty clear that the support unit should be a high crit class since they can't really do much else, but which procs and other skills to put on the lead unit is another matter. Provided you can get your win chance on the first round to an acceptably high number, the risk of being doubled by the enemy drops enough that you might be able to squeak by without Wary Fighter in most cases.

The other question is the statue thing, because if it turns out enemies gain stats in some fashion based on caps it might be possible to manipulate the statues you have active to give yourself an advantage. Like if the enemy gets caps reassigned independent of your own statue boosts (which seems the case given the 50+ Def Great Knights and Mechanists), it might be beneficial not to have Spd statues if Wary Fighter is in play so that statues can be put into other stats. I'm running 40 statues at the moment, which I think is a pretty reasonable endgame number since 10 buildings lets you have everything you really need and maintain a full Streetpass team. Of course, this assumes enemy stats have anything to do with statues at all, which they may not.

I don't think Quixotic is a good idea. Enemies don't need higher hit against you. Dedicating three skill slots to Lethality also strikes me as a waste of time, particularly since you need to be capable of dealing damage for Lethality to work* and there will be times where an enemy is impossible to damage unless you deliberately keep levels low (which should be no problem in Conquest, but would be an issue in a grinding Birthright/Revelation file). Crits and defense penetration/overwhelming have been more reliable in my experience.

**What I'm not sure about are aura personals such as Misfortunate or Quiet Strength, and adjacency skills like Heartseeker. I did some preliminary testing with Arthur and it does appear that the self part of Misfortunate works (i.e. enemies have higher crit chance on him), but based on his stats and base crit with Iron I'm not certain whether the enemy part works (i.e. Arthur does not appear to have a higher chance to crit them); if it did work, then Arthur as a Berserker supporting his wife would presumably grant both extra crit at no risk to himself, but I'm not sure it does. The problem is we can't see arena enemies' stats, so we can't extrapolate from our stats and their stats whether certain skills are working. My gut instinct is that the arena does not consider units to be located anywhere for the purpose of adjacency, but the easiest way to test it would be to see if Heartseeker works. I'll try looking into that.

* I'm pretty sure you'll never get an opponent that your lead unit deals 0 damage to. I've had some really low numbers, but never 0 on the lead unit. I don't have a lot of confidence in IntSys anymore, but I don't think they'd let the arena screw anyone over like that.

But yeah, there are better options available.

** I'm 99% positive that skills regarding a character's position in relation to other units on the map have no effect. As an example, Dragon Ward has never ever proc'd for me in the arena; presumably because it affects "adjacent units" regardless of whether they're being supported.

With regards to HP, I'm surprised the AI isn't taking advantage of HP + 5 as a skill on Berserkers/Heroes, which leads me to believe that the enemies faced in the arena do not have any skills. In terms of offense and defense, what would be an optimal build for a lead unit(if there is one?) I'm currently thinking 3 proc skills, -faire and a -breaker skill(for hit and the occasional miss on enemies). As for the support, I'm thinking Life and Death, -faire, Death Blow, Certain Blow, Aggressor(or Trample if DLC is not an option)

* I'm pretty sure you'll never get an opponent that your lead unit deals 0 damage to. I've had some really low numbers, but never 0 on the lead unit. I don't have a lot of confidence in IntSys anymore, but I don't think they'd let the arena screw anyone over like that.

But yeah, there are better options available.

It's entirely possible to face an enemy in which your lead unit deals 0 damage to. Prior to getting Swordfaire, there have been times where my Hero!Silas would deal 0 damage against high defense classes like the Knight tree and Wyvern tree.

If we do find out that the arena makes adjacent skills useless, it can imply that they specifically coded the arena so that it's a variation on Attack Stance, which is interesting. Who knows what else is lurking in the arena behind the scenes.

Edited by Magician Lugh

I wonder if it's functionally similar to Bold Stance? I don't think you get your partner stat benefits though but honestly I don't know quite how Bold Stance even works. Do you still get the Pair Up boosts but the partner acts as your Attack Stance partner rather than guarding?

Though if you do get your partner's stat boosts some of the enemy stats begin to look slightly more reasonable as they're also gaining boosts from their ally.

EDIT: Takumi just went up against a Dark Knight he did 0 damage to, so again an enemy with 50+ Def.

Edited by Renall

From what I've seen, Bold Stance has the benefits of both Attack and Guard stance. You get the bonuses from pair up and your paired up partner deals damage as well(like Awakening). The site says that it does not actively prevent Attack Stance dual strikes so there's that as well. The only instance of it being in game that I know of is spoiler-ish considering the story setting of the skill holder. Here's the link if you don't mind spoilers.

But thing is, since arena battles do not involve guard gauges, I don't think it is Bold Stance.

tumblr_o68ebrsGB81s05qs8o1_400.jpg

Just going to leave this here, lol

In all seriousness, much of the arena boils down to hoping your skill setup is enough to beat out the RNG. Proc stacking is good, but you also have to think about which skills you want to proc and if you can make room for support skills. You almost assuredly want Certain Blow + Death Blow on your S class units because it will almost guarantee that they'll hit. Two or Sol/Luna/Aether is also good for survivability purposes. Wary Fighter is too much of a double edged sword for my taste, as it's inevitable that you'll run into an enemy that outdamages you and has a higher crit rate.

It's unfortunate that you can't have a 100% win rate because it's just too random, but stacking as many things in your favor is always a good thing.