Should I play Conquest or Birthright first?

radiantsage

Regarding story, I'd say play Birthright first, then Conquest. You definitely don't have to, but I feel like Conquest has a couple holes in it that you're not going to quite understand unless you've been through Birthright.

If you feel confident in your strategic ability, go Conquest. If you usually have difficulty playing FE games, play Birthright first. It's the easiest of the three.

Plotwise you'll be fine either way. They both explain different aspects of the overarching plot.

I don't think it matters, as others have already said. I'd go off what level challenge you want, what character cast you prefer, and just whatever captures your interest more. Just gonna reiterate that you should play and finish both Birthright and Conquest before you play Revelations!

It doesn't matter overmuch, but I think the best route through the three stories is Birthright - Conquest - Revelations. That order makes the most sense in terms of revealing the overall plot.

I played Conquest first and ended up enjoying Birthright less, feeling it was kind of bland in comparison. So...

...I dunno. Maybe you'd appreciate both more if you started with the easier, more straightforward version? On the other hand, I'm glad my first impression of Fates was with the path I ended up liking best.

They're different experiences, so it's hard to say. If you intend to play both, I'd lean towards Birthright, but your own judgment here matters more than mine.

I prefer to play Birthright first for several reasons:

- Difficulty, and also interesting maps. Birthright might seem too dull after Conquest.

- I think Conquest packs more of an emotional punch if you understand the Birthright characters better. This is true both ways, of course, but I think a little more of Conquest's main characters are revealed through Birthright's campaign than Birthright characters are revealed through Conquest's campaign. The chapters in Birthright with the Nohr royals still felt very poignant, especially since more focus is given on the Nohrians in chapters 1-5, but without the Birthright background, you don't really care what's happening to Takumi or who Hinoka or Sakura are in Conquest.

- Similarly, Birthright gives a little more information on what's happening in Nohr as a kingdom.

I really think Birthright was meant to be played first. You will definitely care less about Birthright cast if you go Conquest first; at least in the beginning the story establishes relationships with Nohr siblings well enough to feel some sympathy for them when encountered in Birthright. They feel more intimate compared to Hoshido siblings' introductions. Plus, the script pushes for the player to side with Hoshido more than Nohr. Overall the story feels better when revealed in Birthright -> Conquest order. Feels more "canon."

This is just my opinion though. Above all else, pick the one you are interested in more.

Edited by adacis

Definitely Birthright first. You may or may not already be a seasoned FE player, but either way, it's nice getting used to Fates's new mechanics in Birthright since it lacks the pressure that Conquest throws at you almost immediately. Conquest starts out harder and gets very difficult to the point where Birthright's enemies and map design may feel boring in comparison if you play the former first.