why do so many dq characters keep sabercats as pets

Like I'm playing Caravan Heart and discovered the King of Cannock has a pet sabercat.

Then there's the hero of V and Bianca with their pet sabercat

and the Felix guy from VIII with multiple pet sabercats

I mean according to Bishop Ladja these things are fairly scary and prone to attack and you fight them a lot so what gives?!?

??????????????????

I'm sure Ladja is the paragon of honesty.

Seriously though, probably same thing happened as with V's Hero. You know how things go, when animals are young and all that...

Because lions(and their ilk) are cool.

And I thought as a cat lover, this would not befuddle you

I love cats, but I'm not about to keep a pet tiger.

I'm sure Ladja is the paragon of honesty.

Seriously though, probably same thing happened as with V's Hero. You know how things go, when animals are young and all that...

I mean he was more or less talking to his allies in that scene because Pankraz was dead and the protagonist and Harry were knocked out (so was the sabercat, for that matter). He had no real reason to lie about it to Slon and Kon.

But yeah.

You know you would if it obeyed you. :v

Yeah but that sounds troublesome.

Also is this Fozu girl the same as the DQVII character Fosse? She looks identical and apparently came from Dharma Temple, where Fosse was from...

Oh hey, you're playing Caravan Heart. :3

How is it, btw?

I don't like the rations system and wish I could directly control the humans (because they have something not unlike Kiryl syndrome), but otherwise it's very good.

Why wouldn't you want a sabercat as a pet?

In all honesty (though I have yet to play a dq game with a sabercat partner), the cat could symbolize something to the main character. Perhaps toughness and swiftness? I know Gabo (the character from VII, I think?) has some relation to the sabercat... Don't quote me on that.

Why wouldn't you want a sabercat as a pet?

In all honesty (though I have yet to play a dq game with a sabercat partner), the cat could symbolize something to the main character. Perhaps toughness and swiftness? I know Gabo (the character from VII, I think?) has some relation to the sabercat... Don't quote me on that.

Gabo/Ruff is a white wolf, not a sabercat. I don't think VII had sabercats actually.

Gabo/Ruff is a white wolf, not a sabercat. I don't think VII had sabercats actually.

Ah, my mistake. I just remember seeing some sort of animal on the artwork :P:

Funny thing is, I could've easily just looked up the artwork as I have it on the internet my hard drive.

Edited by Power Master

Ah, my mistake. I just remember seeing some sort of animal on the artwork :P:

Funny thing is, I could've easily just looked up the artwork as I have it on the internet my hard drive.

Yeah, the 3DS version seems to have the normal wolf that raised him come with as a steed for him. She just hung out at the Woodsman's in the original.

Seems like she also comes with in DQHII.

Also, regarding Foz/Fozu/whatever: Seems that she is indeed High Priest Fosse from Dragon Quest VII. I guess the Fan Translation completely missed that she already had an official English name.

More unrelated stuff: I kinda wonder if Kiefer's dialogue when the party first battles monsters has changed at all. Before, it implied that he'd never seen a monster in his life, which in context of DQVII alone, makes perfect sense. But with the addition of the context of the prequel, Caravan Heart, it no longer makes sense. It would be the first time he himself fought monsters, but not the first he's seen them.

The one in DQV was raised since it was a child, and moreover it feels to me like it was symbolic of the hero's strength of character to be able to tame a wild beast like that. This is especially reinforced by how Ladja was surprised by it, so it was definitely no ordinary feat.

Felix having a lot of them seemed to me like one of those tropes where the person is just really good at taming wild beasts and stuff.

The king in Caravan Heart is another trope where rulers have a wild beast as a pet. Sometimes this is symbolic of their power to subjugate, as rulers.

Edited by Nightmare