What the hell is Marvel thinking? Spoiler for the comics

Water Mage

Can someone tell what Marvel is thinking?

Captain America, a sleeper agent of Hydra?

And according to the editor, it's actually the real Steve Rogers, not some clone or mind control.

Steve Rogers, apparently was a spy for Hydra all along.

What does Stan Lee thinks of this?!

And Jack Kirby must be rolling on his grave.

And it create plot holes! If he was evil all along, how the hell could he wield Mjolnir?!

Sorry if I'm ranting to much, but while I don't read them as much now, when I was younger I used to read the Marvel comics religiously, and this a fucking insult to a 75 years old legacy.

And Captain America was doing so well after Civil War...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm like, legit pissed off about this

there's stupid retcons in comics that happens all the time that are stupid but we get over it one way or the other

and there's literally shitting on the 70 years of legacy of Cap's character, dishonoring his Jewish creators who literally made Cap to punch Hitler in the face, in making him a Nazi. There's no respect for Cap's character at all in this. This basically throws everything about Cap's character out the window.

I fucking refuse

I hope this flops really hard

Remember the time, in the 90s, when Peter Parker isn't the real Peter Parker but a clone?

Remember that time when aunt may was shot and Peter Parker had to give up his marriage to save her?

Those idiots are at it again.

Congratulations, Nick Spencer! You just destroyed the hero of many kids!

It's almost as if the folks at Marvel decided that they were going to outdo DC by showing that they can make even worse decisions with their most beloved characters.

I wonder...

Didn't they realized how big Captain America is?

There's tons of Captain America merchandise out there, and it sells a lot because kids love him.

And then, they turn him into a fucking nazi!

Did they think this one through?!

Or were they desperate for attention?!

Captain America didn't the extra attention, since Civil War was such a success.

Crap, I just realized something.

They're gonna put Hydra!Cap in the movies, aren't they?

Edited by Water Mage

Marvel DOES have alternate universes, you know.

Well, everything has alternate universes these days...

Problem is, this is not an alternative universe.

This is the main Marvel canon.

The real thing.

Edited by Water Mage

Why is everyone acting like its going to be a thing for more than a few issues? Because in comics, anything this big gets retconed in a few months, max. THis is just like when superman died. There was a lot of noise, and a confusing period, but it was all undone in the end.

Edited by sirmola

Here's am interview with the man responsible for this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/25/captain-america-writer-nick-spencer-why-i-turned-steve-rogers-into-a-supervillain.html

Let's see how long that jolly attitude will last.

He's finding the fan outrage funny and expected...

He has no idea of the shitstorm that is coming his way, does he?

Why is everyone acting like its going to be a thing for more than a few issues?

To quote Nick Spencer:

"This is something that is gonna have a profound effect on the Marvel universe. I've seen a lot of people say things like, 'Oh, it'll be wrapped up in the arc,' or 'Give it six months.' And I can tell you, that's not the case. This has real lasting repercussions that are gonna be with us for a while."

To quote Nick Spencer:

"This is something that is gonna have a profound effect on the Marvel universe. I've seen a lot of people say things like, 'Oh, it'll be wrapped up in the arc,' or 'Give it six months.' And I can tell you, that's not the case. This has real lasting repercussions that are gonna be with us for a while."

Didn't they say that when superman died too? and sure, there were permenant reprecussions ... like superman's hair ending up longer, and superboy existing. The main point was that superman was no longer dead after a year or so.

My point is that "this will have permanent effects" is probably just something that he's saying to goose sales (just like how fates was advertised with "this has an exelant story"), and the actual effects might be permanent , but will not be too big.

THat being said, this kind of thing (as well as a general maturity issue, and the fact that nothing is ever really resolved), is the main reason that i read almost no mainstream superhero comics (with the ocashional exeption with very good reason), despite being a voracious reader of comics in general

Edited by sirmola

It's not even if there's gonna be permanent effects or not that bothers me, I know comics, it can get retconned, but the fact that they did this with Captain America out of all people really spits on everything about Captain America, and also has unfortunate implications like "if cap is hydra all along but he's worthy of Mjolnir, what does that say about Marvel's vision of Worthiness". It's just such disrespect.

Reversible dying isn't necessarily bad in comic books--hell, it's really commonplace, just ask Jean Grey. This is a fundamental butchering of Cap's character. It's everything that Captain America, at his creation, for all this 70 years he's existed, is against.

Joss is not on Marvel movies anymore, but I trust the Russo Brothers considering I personally greatly enjoyed what they did with Civil War.

That being said just because the movies make the most money doesn't mean that it's the only thing that matters for the character. I read comics, you know. :x

Joss is not on Marvel movies anymore, but I trust the Russo Brothers considering I personally greatly enjoyed what they did with Civil War.

That being said just because the movies make the most money doesn't mean that it's the only thing that matters for the character. I read comics, you know. :x

No, it was just quieting the concerns of an earlier poster who worried that it would impact the cinematic universe.

No, it was just quieting the concerns of an earlier poster who worried that it would impact the cinematic universe.

Ah, alright. I skimmed over that so I didn't notice.

I've never read comics or been interested in them, but I've watched enough Marvel movies to know that this makes absolutely no sense and I can't see why they would do it unless they're desperate.

It's Marvel trying to throw in cheap shocks for money. It'll get retconned in a few months, don't worry. Vote with your wallets guys.

Interestingly, I hear a lot of people say they think Marvel timed this issue coming out to be on the same day as the DC Rebirth special, because Cap is a Nazi would make a way clickbait-ier headline than that thing that happens at the end of the Rebirth special.

It's Marvel jumping the shark. This happened when Jane Foster was Thor, it was bound to happen sometime. Something tells me that the Marvel writers have been reading too far into the fan conspiracy theories for some of their comics. Don't feed the crazies, that's worse than feeding the trolls.