If you could change something in the game, what would it be and why?

Chromagna

There are so friggin many things I'd change (most of which IntSys has actually done right in previous games at some point or another) but if I had to pick 1 single thing...

It'd have to be bringing back weapon weight. The entire weapon system of this game is an abysmal disaster.

-Weapon weight was the natural balancer to high-powered weapons. Weight was removed in Awakening to make the game more simplistic and approachable, but the lack of any sort of balance was highly detrimental to the game. Fortunately, IntSys realised this mistake and decided to... make an even more complicated system of effective speed and follow-up restrictions? They removed a feature that worked perfectly well to make the series more accessible and then when they found out what that did to the game-balance, they created something totally new to do the same thing the feature they just removed did in an even more complicated way...

-Learning what weapons each character should use made so much more sense with the weight system. I personally liked PoR/RD's use of STR to determine what weight a character could handle, but CON was still better than the mess that we have now. Or even better, they could make it based on SKL instead of STR. This would make a mediocre stat better and would mean magic wielders don't need to have STR to carry around (apparently) really heavy books.

-I have no problem with the removal of durability, but I never understood why Hammerne was the only way to repair weapons, like seriously, c'mon people is it that hard to take good care of your weapons?

I could go on and on about this so I'm gonna stop myself here.

This. A thousand times this.

Also:

• Fix Plot/Story/Writing. Been mentioned to death, but it is the game's biggest weak point (in my eyes). I didn't hate the story. It just needs (a lot of) work. (Still haven't finished Revelations, but the writing in there seems on par with the other two.)
  • Lump the three games into one. Or at least two of them together.
  • In a game where the one choice mattered, I'm surprised that there aren't multiple choices and multiple endings in each game. I think I would add that.
  • Change the marriage/kid thing. I'm not gonna lie, I enjoy being able to marry and have kids in this game, but it just feels half-assed.

Azura melts away

and her husband and son have NOTHING to say??? Many of the S supports also feel like they came out of the blue... I could (maybe) believe them marrying down the line, but not right away.

• Speaking of the relationships, I would get rid of the amie feature too. Works for Pokemon. Seems a little odd for FE.
  • Add group interactions outside the main story. For example, have them talk around the dinner table like the Grandia series. Or even just change up what they say around the MyCastle--life changing events occur in the main story but they don't have anything to say about them there. Weird.
  • Clothes/armor design. Also mentioned to death, but I can't NOT mention it.
  • Set design for Corrin. I'd rather have a set design so the cutscenes weren't all first-person. I guess if the graphics were super good, it wouldn't matter.
  • Change Corrin's dragon design. What an odd looking dragon. Y'know, I wouldn't have even added it--they don't do much with it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all have so many good suggestions that I'm not going to waste time repeating!

The biggest thing for me is a good story, but instead of changing the small things, I'd make sure each game is unique (vastly different from each other). As it stands, we have Invade Nohr/Invade Hoshido/Invade Valla, with 75% rehashed content. Revelation is the worst offender, the first 18 chapters are spent rushing through previously established story, then the rest of them happen to be the most cliched and boring of all routes. In fact, get rid of Revelation or make it so that it doesn't become the one and only golden route.

Also, it would have been great to have as much story content as Hidden Truths did (which you could even say was overly long :D), before and after each chapter. That would have really helped flesh out the characters and the world.

I've got a few things that kinda bug me. And then there's a bunch of other stuff. Some of these have been mentioned before in this thread, I'm sure.

1) Nyx. There is no point to her showing up besides being another Dark Mage in Conquest and Revelation in case you didn't like Odin and Leo (though, to be fair, I do prefer her to Odin), and she's so superfluous that she doesn't even bother appearing in Birthright. And she's really old, so she probably could give some exposition on the history of Nohr and Hoshido or just areas Corrin and crew pass through, do some worldbuilding and shit, be more than a really old loli hermit.

2) The Flame Tribe. Where are they in any route? And why can't we ever fight them? At least let that happen in Conquest, since we're conquering shit. And have them be fought in a volcano, with extreme volcano heat that damages you unless you use a Dragon Vein to get a couple of turns of relief, but there are limited Dragon Veins so you'd have to move quickly to prevent the heat from coming back. And have Rinkah side with them if you fight them in Birthright/Revelation, even make her leave your party if she'd already joined you (she wouldn't take her equipment with her though, she's nice like that).

3) Give the continent this game takes place on a name!

4) Corrinsexuals need to stop being Corrinsexual. Give them other S supports, or at least more supports.

5) Lilith should've been able to join your party after you maxed out her temple. She could be a Maid by default, but with reclass options of, I dunno, Shrine Maiden and Fighter. I dunno how you'd handwave her suddenly regaining human form, but I'm sure it could be done.

5.25) Also, give Lilith more story importance, at least in Revelation. She's Corrin's sister for fuck's sake, she needs a little more than just saving Corrin's life once and then just fading into the background.

5.5) Also, Lilith doesn't die. Because her deaths were just pointless.

5.75) Alsoalso, Lilith is something of an inverse Corrinsexual, able to marry every guy except Male!Corrin. Instead, she has C-A supports with Corrin, regardless of gender (since she's Corrin's sister, so it's a sibling support). Might solve the "Male!Corrin can't marry a first gen girl without losing a kid" problem, might not, I dunno.

6) This is more a crappy idea than anything, but since it won't leave my head, I'll put it here. I wish Den of Betrayal had been Shura and his crew featuring Saizo vs. Kotaro and the Mokushujin, and you had to side with one or the other, with your choice changing how the chapter is played.

If you sided with Shura and Saizo, it'd be like it is now, an invasion of Kotaro's cave castle with Saizo assisting you, with the addition of Shura forcing himself on the map. However, after a while, if you took too long, a bunch of reinforcements (with Void Curse) would spawn in every turn to overwhelm you, so you'd have an incentive to get a move on (Kotaro would helpfully taunt you with how close his infinite backup is from coming to get you, and you'd have a while, since this is a pretty large level).

If you sided with Kotaro, he would become an Ally unit, alongside a handful of Automata, and you would have to defend the throne for a while against Shura and his gang, as well as Saizo and his ninja buddies. It'd be more than just 11 turns, maybe like 20 or something like that. The mission would be a constant assault, and toward the end of the map, when you think it's over, Ryoma could show up to really put the pressure on (since he'd make a beeline for the throne, so you'd have to kill him or block his path).

7) Have everyone survive and join up in Revelation. Fuga could be upgraded to joining in story (by having Hayato call for aid from the Wind Tribe, and unexpectedly get Fuga joining your party), Izana can return via Hot Springs (have him say he faked his death; for bonus points, have Takumi show up and react to this), Scarlet could not get firepunched to death (instead, just have it hit Corrin and knock them out for a chapter instead, it'd be a nice change to not have Corrin around for a chapter), Yukimura can join via fully-upgraded Ballista/Launcher (have him express some displeasure at working with Corrin, but doing it anyway because Ryoma told him to), and Flora/Reina can join as they normally do (though perhaps Flora could join around Chapter 20, like in Conquest? And while we're at it, Yukimura can join then too).

8) On the subject of Revelation, rebalance it. There are quite a few units who are varying degrees of underpowered, especially Odin/Niles/Laslow/Peri (why do they force themselves onto the map, IntSys? Why?) and Nyx (who joins on the same map as level-10-promoted Shura. At level... 10 Dark Mage, I believe?). This annoys me.

And give Gunter his supports back! I know he only gets, like, two, but still!

[spoiler=Revelation Ending Spoiler]9) Also, Corrin doesn't become king/queen of Valla. There is no new Valla after the old one gets sealed away. Corrin just goes and spreads peace or whatever Corrin does in the Birthright/Conquest endings instead.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

Aside from the obvious (omg IS let me and an accompanying team of frands rewrite this shit.), id change that Takumi and Sakura are in fact, blood related to Corn. Its legit stupid af that they arent. Scarlet doesnt need to be some kind of sacrificial lamb, thanks.

Id also remove the revelation about Azura's relation to Corn and make her the same-sex option for femui.

Aside from the obvious (omg IS let me and an accompanying team of frands rewrite this shit.), id change that Takumi and Sakura are in fact, blood related to Corn. Its legit stupid af that they arent.

Id also remove the revelation about Azura's relation to Corn and make her the same-sex option for femui.

1st point: How? Unless I missed something, the game implies even Sakura was born by the time Mikoto came to hoshido with ear of Corn.

2nd point: Why...?

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

on the subject of "but things were like that back then" and "yeah but its a highly romanticized version"

the concept of giving rings to the person you loved didn't exist until the 1920's, so i'm learning more towards the latter then the former.

unless all of fire emblem takes place in the 1920's-present day, which would bring up more questions.

i'd say i'd love to see a fire emblem in this time frame but that would be advance wars, which i also want a new one of.

on subject, i'd either make garon a 3-d character or make the plot of the third route less awful after chapter 17.

Equal opportunity pants.

If we're talking more than aesthetics, given the otherwise Corrinsexuals a couple of other marriage/friendship options.

Thinking about it, I'd actually like it if the difference between certain classes was more evident, or if every single class would be considerable for the end-game as opposed to class A being inferior to class B because class B has natural Crit chance or something.

Another thing that bothers me is the abundance of weapons that you can't get more copies of without living inside Museum Melee for a long time. Why can't there be a more not-DLC method of getting more Brave weapons or more Guard Naginatas?

To go with the above, make wanting to buy stuff from another players vendors worth the castle visit rather than "visit for resources, leave with a skill or use of the Arena". For instance, why not make a shop offer one random weapon/item each visit that is normally limited in quantity (dependant on the shops rank, so bronze shops can never offer Brave weapons).

Thinking about it, I'd actually like it if the difference between certain classes was more evident, or if every single class would be considerable for the end-game as opposed to class A being inferior to class B because class B has natural Crit chance or something.

Another thing that bothers me is the abundance of weapons that you can't get more copies of without living inside Museum Melee for a long time. Why can't there be a more not-DLC method of getting more Brave weapons or more Guard Naginatas?

To go with the above, make wanting to buy stuff from another players vendors worth the castle visit rather than "visit for resources, leave with a skill or use of the Arena". For instance, why not make a shop offer one random weapon/item each visit that is normally limited in quantity (dependant on the shops rank, so bronze shops can never offer Brave weapons).

- the differences between classes are more evident now than they were in awakening, where assassin was just a more flexable swordmaster who can't use yen fe's sword, all classes hit A rank with all weapons they could wield, everyone had an HP cap of 80 no matter the promoted class, etc

- some attempt at game balance is why. Not sure if snapping the game in half with +7ed brave sword/lances/axes on everyone and their mother like it's awakening is entirely necessary (as fun as it was)

- the differences between classes are more evident now than they were in awakening, where assassin was just a more flexable swordmaster who can't use yen fe's sword, all classes hit A rank with all weapons they could wield, everyone had an HP cap of 80 no matter the promoted class, etc

True. And I do appreciate those. But what I mean is that there are classes who have innate stats, Swordmasters having additional Avoid, Berserkers having additional Crit, those things. Meanwhile, classes like Kinshi Knight and Great Master, classes that I want to like and use, don't seem to have any of those.

It makes scenarios such as "Swordmaster > Master of Arms" and "Berserker who clears the field vs Hero with balanced stats" a little lopsided.

- some attempt at game balance is why. Not sure if snapping the game in half with +7ed brave sword/lances/axes on everyone and their mother like it's awakening is entirely necessary (as fun as it was)

And then letting us do that anyways with Museum Melee, albeit taking forever to do so.

Edited by Xenomata

1) Better online protections. The number of cheated skills/weapons is pretty unacceptable and really kills a lot of my enjoyment with the player to player interactions in this game.

2) bring back the skinship/accessories. Include an option that disables these for people who don't want them.

3) a tad bit better balancing of certain skills. While I think that Fates is still pretty good on balance overall, the inclusion of warp/duplicate are pretty much game-changing, and it becomes a situation where I don't want to use the cheese, but know I'm handicapping myself for no real reason by not doing so.

4) Less MU favoritism. I've fine with them being the main character for once, but they just get too much. Freedom to marry whomever, 2 personal weapons (though dragonstones are shared with MU's kids) and a unique class? Little too much, I think, and I would have rather you just start out as whatever class you picked at the start. That'd be really hard to balance, though.

MU's unique class is pretty much this game's lord class, which has been a fire emblem staple so far. Most people don't even care dragonstones, which means less people find reasons to use the unique class outside of getting dragon fang (seriously, most people's avatars are a DLC class, swordmaster, or a shuriken-dispenser).

True. And I do appreciate those. But what I mean is that there are classes who have innate stats, Swordmasters having additional Avoid, Berserkers having additional Crit, those things. Meanwhile, classes like Kinshi Knight and Great Master, classes that I want to like and use, don't seem to have any of those.

It makes scenarios such as "Swordmaster > Master of Arms" and "Berserker who clears the field vs Hero with balanced stats" a little lopsided.

And then letting us do that anyways with Museum Melee, albeit taking forever to do so.

Their goal with the innate stats was to give classes locked to one weapon a perk. Spear masters and heroes are damn near identical stat wise, but a hero can cover the weapon triangle better. So they give spear masters inherent crit avoid and crit to set them apart. Without it, spear masters are pretty much heroes with 2 more str and locked to lances.

And yeah it's a silly double standard on the weapon DLC thing.

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

MU's unique class is pretty much this game's lord class, which has been a fire emblem staple so far. Most people don't even care dragonstones, which means less people find reasons to use the unique class outside of getting dragon fang.

I actually don't think it's even possible to not get Dragon Fang, or at least by the time you finish Chapter 6 of any route you will be really close to level 10. So once you get Dragon Fang, you can kinda just Heart Seal away to whatever you selected as the secondary class.

Speaking of dragons, I'd probably make that a more important part of the plot. Is it ever brought up again after chapter 5, barring Kanna's paralogue? I don't even think the Nohrians ever acknowledge Corrin's sudden ability to shapeshift.

Speaking of Corrin being a dragon, I'd like to see the unit type icons like they did in Awakening. I know that they probably removed them to prevent interface spoilers for Corrin (not like it made much of an impact to begin with), it would make things easier especially if choosing to use something like Hunter Bow or Armorslayer or something.

-Dragon icon for Corrin, Corrin's kids, and wyvern rider class line

-Beast icon for most mounted units, wolfskin, and kitsune

-Armor icon for knight class line

-Undead icon for Faceless

And since Fates introduces the golem/automaton unit type, there would be an icon for the Mechanists, Automatons, and Stoneborn.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Speaking of dragons, I'd probably make that a more important part of the plot. Is it ever brought up again after chapter 5, barring Kanna's paralogue? I don't even think the Nohrians ever acknowledge Corrin's sudden ability to shapeshift.

The next time Corncob's dragon lineage gets any meaningful mention is in DLC.

Yeah dumb I know.

Speaking of Corrin being a dragon, I'd like to see the unit type icons like they did in Awakening. I know that they probably removed them to prevent interface spoilers for Corrin (not like it made much of an impact to begin with), it would make things easier especially if choosing to use something like Hunter Bow or Armorslayer or something.

Simple solution: Corrin can't use Dragonstones until after Cp. 5, so also give Corrin the Dragon weakness when Chapter 5 starts up.

I really miss those icons to... it's one of those things I only remember AFTER the enemy phase begins.

All three routes are included. Birthright Boring Rout maps are either defeat boss, escape, or seize. Classic Mode disables grinding while a new mode, called standard has perma death and grinding

I actually like this idea a lot, as I like the perma death mechanic (even if I just treat any death as a game over and reset) but also like to grind to keep every unit viable

To be fair, you can get those weapons from the lottery lol. But yeah, I understand that they felt like they needed to rebalance weapon availability to account for the removal of durability, but they went too far with it.

Yeah, I'm still confused at why they bothered to even bring up Corrin being a dragon when you get Kaden in BR if they weren't even going to include it in Kaden!Corrin supports...

All three routes are included. Birthright Boring Rout maps are either defeat boss, escape, or seize. Classic Mode disables grinding while a new mode, called standard has perma death and grinding.

I also heavily second this.

1st point: How? Unless I missed something, the game implies even Sakura was born by the time Mikoto came to hoshido with ear of Corn.

2nd point: Why...?

Only because the goddamn game wants you to be able to marry Sakura. Sakura and Takumi dont even talk about their natural mother. Hell, shes not even mentioned by name by the older sibs. Its a meaningless contrivance and theres no reason to justify Mikoto showing up after Sakura was born, except "this character(s) are not blood related to them, go nuts in marrying them."

Arete and Mikoto being sisters doesnt even affect the story at all. Its so pointless, that removing it wouldnt hurt anything. Azura is actually heavily pushed by the plot (and promotional material) to be love interest to Corn. It also makes the cousin reveal all the stupider. And because of Azura's ubiquity in the game, making her able to marry Corn regardless of gender would make sense.

I'd want to make it so there are only two routes and no golden route. They could make it so that if you meet certain requirements in a playthrough, you'd be able to continue on and solve the real problem but this would require rewriting elements of the 3rd route to be incorporated into the first two.

Edited by Hatsuoki

The story. It has so many holes.

Weapon icons! It's a shame how weapons don't have unique icons anymore. It added a lot of personality to them.

Also I really want at least a couple more same-sex options.

Yeah, having the only female be exclusive to one route and the male to the other unless you get the third route is stupid. They should've made the same sex options some of the neutral units.

Only because the goddamn game wants you to be able to marry Sakura. Sakura and Takumi dont even talk about their natural mother. Hell, shes not even mentioned by name by the older sibs. Its a meaningless contrivance and theres no reason to justify Mikoto showing up after Sakura was born, except "this character(s) are not blood related to them, go nuts in marrying them."

Arete and Mikoto being sisters doesnt even affect the story at all. Its so pointless, that removing it wouldnt hurt anything. Azura is actually heavily pushed by the plot (and promotional material) to be love interest to Corn. It also makes the cousin reveal all the stupider. And because of Azura's ubiquity in the game, making her able to marry Corn regardless of gender would make sense.

I pretty much agree. It doesn't help it is revealed at a time the avatar would already be married to azura if the player wanted to. Its like they planned it.

NEW HEADCANON. Mikoto secretly did not want Corrin to be with Azura, so she lied about being sisters with Arete so Corrin and Azura would break up in disguist.

Ah, I remember a day when I thought Fates would turn out to be a story full of political and societal intrigue, where moral questions about being in romantic relationships with siblings--blood-related or not--and scandal would be the talk of the forum...

lol nopes into oblivion

I also advocate the weapon icons to come back.