Fire Emblem Mobile.....a good or a bad thing?

Harvey

I had once this nightmare that if FE were on mobile.......we fans are screwed because I just know how mobile games very often ruin the game experience and its more of a pay to win rather than play to win.

I'm just thinking how this can be bad on so many ways

Let's see how they can screw this up.

1. Not allowing players to reset the game when a unit dies. If you want the unit alive, use microtransactions.

2. Have a certain turn limit where if you want more turns, use microtransactions.

3. If you want specific weapons, use Microtransactions.

4. If you want to develop relationships or the "waifu" mechanic, get more maps through microtransactions.

5. Forge your weapons with microtransactions.

6. Reclassing can work through microtransactions.

7. Getting skills now needs microtransactions.

8. Unlocking more stories requires microtransactions. (Fates is better than what this one will ever be btw!)

9. Treasure chests can only open through microtransactions.

10. And lastly, Units can only be recruited with Microtransactions.

Then comes the look of the game. How on earth are Fates movie graphics gonna work on a phone?

I mean, look at Sakura Wars on Mobile now!

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/07/27/sega-announces-new-sakura...

I really can't think of anything positive here....if only because I know that mobile games are more of a gamble than experiments.

inb4 microtransactions to sieze the enemy stronghold

inb4 microtransactions to buy promotion items

inb4 microtransactions to pray to anna for better rng

INB4 ULTRA SWIMSUIT DLC GOLDEN PREMIUM PACK AND KNUCKLES

In all seriousness I dont think theyll screw us over that hard and hell, they might end up doing something great depending on the direction of the project and who in IS is working on it (if IS even is working on it, not sure about that).

There will probably be some sort of character pack where you can buy previous protagonists (and maybe one who wasnt in smash bros).

As for graphical style, I wonder if they're going full 3d or sprite based for battles. If the latter, hopefully we'll at least get some beautiful new animation out of it.

inb4 microtransactions to sieze the enemy stronghold

inb4 microtransactions to buy promotion items

inb4 microtransactions to pray to anna for better rng

INB4 ULTRA SWIMSUIT DLC GOLDEN PREMIUM PACK AND KNUCKLES

In all seriousness I dont think theyll screw us over that hard and hell, they might end up doing something great depending on the direction of the project and who in IS is working on it (if IS even is working on it, not sure about that).

There will probably be some sort of character pack where you can buy previous protagonists (and maybe one who wasnt in smash bros).

As for graphical style, I wonder if they're going full 3d or sprite based for battles. If the latter, hopefully we'll at least get some beautiful new animation out of it.

I'm on the other hand skeptical about it. Look, I don't mind if Nintendo is only doing this to try out the mobile market. But what if this game makes a hit for all the wrong reasons and makes them decide to not release Fire Emblem on consoles anymore? That's what scares the hell out of me.

Really....where do you see the mobile market as a good thing when thousands of companies go bankrupt, hundreds of people losing jobs and worst of all, the mobile market impacting microtransactions on AAA games?

• 7 months later...

I don't think mobile is a bad thing, especially when it's going to have newer fans be exposed to older Fire Emblem characters.

I actually think that Nintendo is testing the foreign fan base with both the mobile version and the release of the FE2 remake.

If done just right, it will especially eliminate some impressions they seemed to have given to newer fans such as keeping a customized character and having pretty vague/superficial conversations in supports.

In my opinion, keeping a customized avatar wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't automatically mean "pandering," but apparently Nintendo has shown that it can't keep characters objectified when their main character wants to romance someone. 

Furthermore, I lived in Korea and have visited Japan a few times, and know that mobile games are an immense hit over there, but I don't think they'll transfer the series over to mobile until maybe years and years later when the west has caught up to its popularity.  Plus, I think from an interview, Nintendo always struggled but desired to keep Fire Emblem on a mother console, so I don't think they'll think of transferring the series to mobile anytime soon...Unless Japan suddenly goes: No way, no more mother consoles, but hand-held, just mobile...then...oh.

Jeezus dude are you THIS desperate for people to acknowledge your negativity? Allright fine, look, I'm posting in your negative-ass-nancy thread.

Whether it's a good or bad thing, going mobile is kind of an inevitable direction for Fire Emblem to go with the direction Nintendo has been going lately, coupled with Fire Emblem's growing popularity as a franchise. Change is the nature of consumerism as much as it is with life, so get used to it. Financially, it's a decision that makes sense for the series, and last I checked these big businesses kinda need money to keep making games at reasonable standards of quality. Missing out on the rapidly-expanding casual/mobile market would be a worse decision than the alternative for Nintendo, so just try to realize that. 

If you're THAT worried about Fire Emblem expanding onto mobile, here's how you can deal with it: 

1) Don't play it. 

2) Play it for free, don't give it any money. (The more open-minded option, and what I plan to do.) If you like it, keep playing it. If you don't like it, don't.

That's about it, really. Yeah, mobile gaming isn't for everyone. Yeah, for the most part mobile games are heavily dumbed-down formulas of games played elsewhere. No, you don't have to play it if you're not into mobile games. No, it's not gonna wreck the franchise. 

I for one am fully prepared for a dumbed-down experience, and am totally fine with that. Not everyone will be, that's also fine. What's less fine to me is wasting so much time and energy on such negativity, but to each their own, yo. 

Edited by BANRYU

The game is pure fanservice, but really, the direct makes it pretty clear that the orbs can be obtained by playing in addition to paying.  You're seriously overreacting.

As much as I dislike the RNG aspect of the orbs, the game is clearly playable without paying a cent.

Where are the microtransactions to get you to stop already. And if you think "Fates movie graphics" can't work on a phone... Mobius FF is gonna blow your mind then.

You hate it to a completely illogical extent, we all get it, and I've only seen you post about it thrice.

Tl;dr, this

11 hours ago, BANRYU said:

1) Don't play it. 

2) Play it for free, don't give it any money. (The more open-minded option, and what I plan to do.) If you like it, keep playing it. If you don't like it, don't.

11 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Jeezus dude are you THIS desperate for people to acknowledge your negativity? Allright fine, look, I'm posting in your negative-ass-nancy thread.

To be fair this thread is from almost a year ago, when we didn't know a thing. I would still have called it overreaction back then, but it's not exactly fair to call Harvey out on that now.

(For the record I was about to make pretty much the same post until I noticed the month, then the year lol)

3 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

To be fair this thread is from almost a year ago, when we didn't know a thing. I would still have called it overreaction back then, but it's not exactly fair to call Harvey out on that now.

(For the record I was about to make pretty much the same post until I noticed the month, then the year lol)

Ahh that's true, I didn't notice that, I'll admit. I saw him posting in the pinned topic and assumed that he just made another thread to come complain about it, but clearly that's not the case. My mistake.