Valter and Hans

Valter and Hans  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is Valter or Hans worse?

Personally I don't see the comparison between Hans & Valter. Iago reminds me more of Valter.

Hans is a barbarian and loves to kill.

Valter is a guy who likes to see people suffer by toying with them. Both are not great, but I think Valter is worse

Hans may be worse because he doesn't have the esteem that Valter has. Valter is a very...uh, personable bigshot who is depicted as capable and who sends Eirika running at the beginning, leading the hunt for her after he does so.

Hans on the other hand is just one of those dime a dozen bandit chiefs, but one given a job in a royal court. And that's okay, I don't think he's meant to be more then that but that does make him a less enjoyable villain to watch. In other words, Hans isn't earning any points for being cool, baddass or interesting to offset him being a scumbag.

I'd say Hans is more like Valter's fellow general Caleach since they are both common, immoral crooks arriving at the royal court only to further their own ambition.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Hans is objectively worse because he is just an asshole. Valter was actually kind of a decent guy until he accidentally picked up Duessel's Lance (probably to hand it to him or something), and suffered the Caligula Effect, in which an unforeseen incident consequently causes someone to become a nutjob that has to eventually be axed (or in Caligula's case, stabbed by the dudes who swore to protect you.)

Valter isn't a mindless brute like Hans. He is a cunning and manipulative predator who is capable of hiding his maniacal urges behind the façade of a smug douche until he descends on his prey.

Edited by BrightBow

It basically boils down comparing an implied rapist (Valter) to an actual murderer (Hans).

For me, Valter is worse, if only we are actually given a backstory for this guy, while Hans, as someone else has stated before, is more of a bandit chief of the day kinda fellow, so if one takes character depth into account, Valter wins it for me.

Also, murderer just seems to be a bit less out of place in a Fire Emblem game, what with there being death all around, while an implied rapist like Valter turns the story into a pretty dark direction and makes me commend IS or Nintendo (whoever wrote Sacred Stones) for being subtle enough with it that it slipped past censor radars.

Hans just seems like a dude who likes to hit things with his axe.

Valter was a creepy individual who enjoyed toying with people. I know he had a weird thing with Eirika, but the whole implied rapist thing is new to me. So yeah Valter is worse, no contest.

Hans just seems like a dude who likes to hit things with his axe.

Valter was a creepy individual who enjoyed toying with people. I know he had a weird thing with Eirika, but the whole implied rapist thing is new to me. So yeah Valter is worse, no contest.

That was just my impression from playing the game. Pay it no mind.

But I 100% agree with your statement.

Also, Hans is stupid enough to rush headlong into a swarm of enemies and getting himself killed in a matter of seconds. Not very threatening to behold.

Valter, on the other hand, gravely injured Seth in the beginning of Sacred Stones and kills Cormags older brother (whose name escapes me at the moment.)

And we all know Seth's reputation throughout Sacred Stones.

It sets Valter up as a legitimate threat, while Hans just looks like a wuss.

Edited by DragonFlames

That was just my impression from playing the game. Pay it no mind.

But I 100% agree with your statement.

Also, Hans is stupid enough to rush headlong into a swarm of enemies and getting himself killed in a matter of seconds. Not very threatening to behold.

Valter, on the other hand, gravely injured Seth in the beginning of Sacred Stones and kills Cormags older brother (whose name escapes me at the moment.)

And we all know Seth's reputation throughout Sacred Stones.

It sets Valter up as a legitimate threat, while Hans just looks like a wuss.

I can see why that's the case. I never played Eirika's route to completion, but I did read the quotes when she fights Valter. Implied rapist wasn't the first thing to come to mind, but someone like that dude who kept a girl in a well from Silence of the Lambs: creepy and disturbing personal life, keeping the girl just for the hell of it, and will kill her if she makes a bad mistake.

Come to think of it, what even does Hans has that make him stand out other than being a caveman that's good and hitting things? Why did Garon make him one of his right hand men when he failed to kill Corrin? What power did he acquire had him boasting so much, yet he had a hoard of Generals guarding him on chaper 26 of Conquest, and even then they were even a bigger threat than he was?

Valter was very strategical with his actions, from killing Glen to provoke Cormag to attacking Eirika to test her, to tricking Selena so she wouldn't kill off everyone too fast to prolong the fun for himself. He also waaaay harder and intimidating as a boss.

Edited by SageHarpuiaJDJ

I can see why that's the case. I never played Eirika's route to completion, but I did read the quotes when she fights Valter. Implied rapist wasn't the first thing to come to mind, but someone like that dude who kept a girl in a well from Silence of the Lambs: creepy and disturbing personal life, keeping the girl just for the hell of it, and will kill her if she makes a bad mistake.

Come to think of it, what even does Hans has that make him stand out other than being a caveman that's good and hitting things? Why did Garon make him one of his right hand men when he failed to kill Corrin? What power did he acquire had him boasting so much, yet he had a hoard of Generals guarding him on chaper 26 of Conquest, and even then they were even a bigger threat than he was?

Valter was very strategical with his actions, from killing Glen to provoke Cormag to attacking Eirika to test her, to tricking Selena so she wouldn't kill off everyone too fast to prolong the fun for himself. He also waaaay harder and intimidating as a boss.

He probably killed enough suicidal villagers. There seems to be a lot of them in the Fire Emblem universe.

But seriously, he was intelligent enough to ambush Gunter to kill him on that bridge in the beginning, so at least he has that going for him.

Edited by DragonFlames

Not just that, after he gets defeated by a bunch of nameless nobodies, Kamui completely thrashes his and sends him running home crying. Way to build up your villain, IS. I don't see why this guy survives until late game, considering he's just a stupid attack dog.

Valter is threatening from the get-go and actually quite calculating.

Valter is the more evil, on top of being more entertaining, more intelligent, more threatening, more satisfying to beat and just better all around. Hans is just some bandit nobody who no one would remember the name of if it wasn't for his role in Conquest's plot. I just really don't like Hans, and not for the right reasons.

Edited by AzureSen

Like one of the big deals with Valter is that he actually seriously wounds your early paladin, usually you know, the lords reliable retainer who can stand against everyone, Seth manages to defend Eirika but, it shows Valter and co aren't playing around when they can wound someone as experienced as Seth, (this isn't even going into Seth's reputation as an amazing unit, its going storywise and comparing it to other starting big shots the player has had access to in early game FE).

He remains a threat, difficulty not withstanding, although he gets punked by Ephraim once, which is kind of silly, but he still showed way much more of a threat in the actual story than Hans ever did.

Edited by Jedi

Ephraim and his 3-man army smacking around Valter's entire platoon did more to showcase Ephraim's brilliance than make Valter seem less intimidating.

"I don't pick fights I can't win." Friggin love that scene.

IMO tho, Valter doesn't really have a fates equivalent. I feel like Iago is closer to Riev than Valter, and Hans is like a dumbed-down version of Caelach. Gosh, comparing fates to a game from FE's golden era (IMO) really makes me realise how bad the character designs are...

Sacred Stones villains may be douchebags, but they were douchebags with flavor. Caellach, Valter and Riev were way cooler than any of the villains in Fates.

Give me some enjoyable villains again IS. >:[

I feel like the TSS villains were just plain intimidating compared to many of the more recent villains in Fates. Of course, Valter, Caellach, and Riev were made more intimidating by the power of the minions they send after you in earlier chapters. Valter is made more intimidating not only because of reasons stated above, but one of his minions is freaking Tirado, a very worthy boss to be the first with the second boss theme of the game.

First we see Valter gravely injure Seth, then, after a bit of a lull in enemy power, we meet Tirado: The first real promoted boss of the game, who just so happens to be a Level 1 General with amazeballs stats (and the first with the intimidating new boss theme, "Powerful Foe", and one of the most fitting for it) who can only really be defeated efficiently by either Seth or Ephraim (assuming Ephraim has eaten every ounce of EXP possible to this point, which is only two chapters worth, and using the Reginleif). From here, we only get more insight into Valter's true insanity and maniacal methods. Then, he kills Glen. Who is much stronger than Seth was in the beginning. This is where you fully realize he literally LET YOU LIVE FOR SPORT. Because he could have killed you before the Prologue started. Easily. But he didn't because he thought it would be more fun this way. So when you finally fight him in Chapter 15, nothing is more relieving in the entire game than watching his HP drop to 0. Once you bypass his Fili (Iote's) Shield and find someone who can hit him for decent damage.

"I've no use for these bloodless minnows... Give me prey that will sate my bloodlust... I hunger!"

If IS ever manages to create a boss who gives me worse nightmares than Valter, I'd be surprised. Nothing has yet (though Mad Ashnard definitely came close).

Edited by Rethel34

Not just that, after he gets defeated by a bunch of nameless nobodies, Kamui completely thrashes his and sends him running home crying. Way to build up your villain, IS. I don't see why this guy survives until late game, considering he's just a stupid attack dog.

Valter is threatening from the get-go and actually quite calculating.

Yup. 100% in agreement.

Valter has a history. Apparently, he wasn't Stabby McStabface his entire life.

Hans. . .yeah, can't really say that he's got that going for him.

Hans is just kinda meh in terms of villainy. The only things he does that goes beyond 'dick head' are stuff he did because Garon ordered him tom even if he does enjoy it. Valter does what he does because he's just that vile (and also the lance, but whatever). There's also the fact that, unlike anything Hans did, Valter's obsession with Eirika was genuinely unnerving.

[spoiler=snip]

I feel like the TSS villains were just plain intimidating compared to many of the more recent villains in Fates. Of course, Valter, Caellach, and Riev were made more intimidating by the power of the minions they send after you in earlier chapters. Valter is made more intimidating not only because of reasons stated above, but one of his minions is freaking Tirado, a very worthy boss to be the first with the second boss theme of the game.

First we see Valter gravely injure Seth, then, after a bit of a lull in enemy power, we meet Tirado: The first real promoted boss of the game, who just so happens to be a Level 1 General with amazeballs stats (and the first with the intimidating new boss theme, "Powerful Foe", and one of the most fitting for it) who can only really be defeated efficiently by either Seth or Ephraim (assuming Ephraim has eaten every ounce of EXP possible to this point, which is only two chapters worth, and using the Reginleif). From here, we only get more insight into Valter's true insanity and maniacal methods. Then, he kills Glen. Who is much stronger than Seth was in the beginning. This is where you fully realize he literally LET YOU LIVE FOR SPORT. Because he could have killed you before the Prologue started. Easily. But he didn't because he thought it would be more fun this way. So when you finally fight him in Chapter 15, nothing is more relieving in the entire game than watching his HP drop to 0. Once you bypass his Fili (Iote's) Shield and find someone who can hit him for decent damage.

"I've no use for these bloodless minnows... Give me prey that will sate my bloodlust... I hunger!"

If IS ever manages to create a boss who gives me worse nightmares than Valter, I'd be surprised. Nothing has yet (though Mad Ashnard definitely came close).

Thanks for reminding me, Fates and Awakening both have a few nice tracks here and there, but somewhere in FE's rebirth we lost the badass boss themes that I fondly remember from the good'ol days. Powerful Foe definitely did a lot in making the Grado generals into extremely satisfying fights.

Thanks for reminding me, Fates and Awakening both have a few nice tracks here and there, but somewhere in FE's rebirth we lost the badass boss themes that I fondly remember from the good'ol days. Powerful Foe definitely did a lot in making the Grado generals into extremely satisfying fights.

Lest we forget the awesomeness that was Ashnard's Theme or the battle theme for the Four Fangs in Blazing Sword.