First Elsa and now Captain America too? NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE GAY

Anacybele

I just heard this earlier on my way home from work on the radio.

Previously, I heard Twitter was pushing for Elsa to be a lesbian in Frozen 2. Now I hear that there's a push for the Cap to be made gay as well. And on TOP of the stupidity that is apparently him being a spy for a villain (I won't get into this because there's another thread on it).

WTF is this bullshit? Elsa has no clear sexuality, sure, but if she was meant to be lesbian, wouldn't Disney have done that with her already from the start? Like put little hints here and there on the side in the first Frozen? Her suddenly being a lesbian would feel forced and out of place.

And awhile back DC started making previously straight characters gay, like Green Lantern. There IS more than one named Green Lantern (three that I know of, in fact. Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner), but as far as I've seen, all of them have been portrayed to be interested in women before this. Why change this because a few whiny babies begged for it?

This radio broadcast also mentioned other media that's made up of entirely gay relationships. WHY IS EVERYTHING BEING MADE GAY? (the radio guy even asked this as well)

Look, I'm all for LGBT+ rights and all, but this is not how you get it. You don't try to force your lifestyle on people or existing media that's been portrayed to be straight. That's totally stupid and wrong. If you want gay characters, say "I'd like to see a gay character" not "make character X gay!" See the difference? The former isn't forcing anything on existing stuff, it's asking for brand new stuff.

I REALLY hope Disney is smart and doesn't make either of these characters gay/lesbian. Especially Elsa, because she's one of my favorite characters now, and I totally love her. I actually think she should be like Queen Elizabeth I and be asexual and never get with anyone at all. She seems like that type of woman to me. Besides, Kristoff and Anna are already together, so it's not like there's any issue with the possibility of either sister producing heirs.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to say DC for Green Lantern. xP Derp.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I hear you. That's just the "trend" at this point, from what I see. Not hating on anyone, but it is getting ridiculous.

In terms of Elsa, the entire movie was kiiiiiind of pushing her that way, anyway. Actually, there's two ways it could've gone aside from the "regular or normal" way. One way is she could've isolated herself. The other way is a little more obvious: Her sister, Anna, was dying and needed her "one true love" or something like that to save her. It wasn't Kristoff, that's for sure. Incest much?

Captain America has never been a gay character and there's no reason to make him one, other than (yes, I know I use this word a lot) fanservice, to make a group of people happy, even if it means compromising your creations...

I'll just leave it at that.

I... what? You do know bisexuality exists, right? Being interested in women in the past doesn't mean a person can't also be interested in men.

WRT the Captain America thing... have you seen Civil War. There is so much going on between Steve and Bucky even the actors talk about it.

Also Cap being a Nazi has nothing to do with this, and is something idiotic decided by the people writing the new comic.

There's some really subtle homophobia going on here from multiple people lol

Anyway, I don't really know much about Elsa because I haven't seen Frozen more than twice, but Let it Go became an anthem for an entire group of people. Elsa could easily be a lesbian.

As for Captain America, Steve's thing with Bucky is way stronger than with any other female character lol. I definitely support this.

EDIT: yes power master, please explain how changing Steve or Elsa like this would be "compromising their creations" because those are some really clumsy words you chose. maybe you should think about something like that

Edited by Ms. Bunch

this thread's skating really thin ice right now, i don't see a point in it besides sensationalist venting

i'll leave it open for now but i'm keeping a close eye, please behave everybody

I... what? You do know bisexuality exists, right? Being interested in women in the past doesn't mean a person can't also be interested in men.

Except the people I'm talking about are specifically asking for gayness, not bisexuality. There's a difference there.

WRT the Captain America thing... have you seen Civil War. There is so much going on between Steve and Bucky even the actors talk about it.

No, I've not seen it yet. And didn't you see the first Captain America movie, where he got with a woman? If you're asking the Cap to be GAY, specifically, he can't be into women. But he already is written as interested in them.

Also Cap being a Nazi has nothing to do with this, and is something idiotic decided by the people writing the new comic.

Uh, I never said it did have anything to do with this?

this thread's skating really thin ice right now, i don't see a point in it besides sensationalist venting

i'll leave it open for now but i'm keeping a close eye, please behave everybody

So my thread is on thin ice because of venting, but Water Mage's thread is perfectly fine? I see venting in both.

Edited by Anacybele

Cool down on how you're presenting this. You're going to ruffle some feathers with how aggressive you're being. That's just going to make people be just as aggressive at you for the opposite side and that's going to get out of control.

In terms of Elsa, the entire movie was kiiiiiind of pushing her that way, anyway. Actually, there's two ways it could've gone aside from the "regular or normal" way. One way is she could've isolated herself. The other way is a little more obvious: Her sister, Anna, was dying and needed her "one true love" or something like that to save her. It wasn't Kristoff, that's for sure. Incest much?

That had absolutely nothing to do with incest. The "one true love" thing is presenting the platonic love between sisters as equally strong as romantic love, therefore able to break the curse just as well as a romantic love could, which is a very pure and important message. Love doesn't have to be romantic to be strong, which was the whole point.

Edited by Specta

So my thread is on thin ice because of venting, but Water Mage's thread is perfectly fine? I see venting in both.

maybe i should have been more clear; there's a huge difference between venting about stupid plot decisions a comic book company takes and venting about real-world issues being forced into media. one of them deserves something of a dignified treatment, the other does not.

There's some really subtle homophobia going on here from multiple people lol

...lolwut? Nobody is hating on gays and lesbians here. I even said I support LGBT+ rights. They're human beings with feelings just like the rest of us, they don't deserve to be hated on because of who they love or who they are. This is about people trying to force that lifestyle into things it doesn't belong in, regardless of their own sexuality.

That had absolutely nothing to do with incest. The "one true love" thing is presenting the love between sisters as equally strong as romantic love, therefore able to break the curse just as well as a romantic love could, which is a very pure and important message. Love doesn't have to be romantic to be strong, which was the whole point.

Uh, dude, this post here. ^ Not to mention that Anna got with Kristoff in the end anyway.

EDIT: Integ: Alright, that makes more sense then, my apologies. I'll try to keep this civil.

Edited by Anacybele

EDIT: yes power master, please explain how changing Steve or Elsa like this would be "compromising their creations" because those are some really clumsy words you chose. maybe you should think about something like that

That had absolutely nothing to do with incest. The "one true love" thing is presenting the platonic love between sisters as equally strong as romantic love, therefore able to break the curse just as well as a romantic love could, which is a very pure and important message. Love doesn't have to be romantic to be strong, which was the whole point.

Okay, maybe not. Just trying to keep on topic. I was trying to say that, yes, sisterly bond is a thing and I'm glad it's there and mixing things up, but it was a bit strange how they went through with it is all. Kinda like in the Malificent movie, where Malificent herself cured Aurora by having a change of heart which was... eeeeeehhhhh.

I honestly don't know where I'm going with this, and it's not something I can easily explain, so

Except the people I'm talking about are specifically asking for gayness, not bisexuality. There's a difference there.

No, I've not seen it yet. And didn't you see the first Captain America movie, where he got with a woman? If you're asking the Cap to be GAY, specifically, he can't be into women. But he already is written as interested in them.

No, they weren't asking for him specifically to be gay. The trending tag on twitter that the news decided to report on was #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend. He can have a boyfriend and still be into women, it's called being Bi. And I did see the first Cap movie which is why the entire time I have been saying Bi.

Like I said, wanting some gay characters is perfectly fine. What's not fine is trying to force existing characters to be changed to gay or bi even if it doesn't fit them. Captain America technically COULD be bi, but considering that he got with a woman while there was nothing built between him and his best friend in the first movie, him being bi would still feel rather forced.

Elsa's sexuality hasn't been made clear at all, but I would think that if Disney wanted to make it clear, I think they would have by now.

Edited by Anacybele

i'll let you know that the majority of characters are still straight or have an undisclosed sexuality

now, i don't think the creators should have to bend what people want them to shoehorn in, it should be an organic thing that they actually want to do

and if there was just no explanation giving for changing a long-time defined character with a particular sexuality then yeah that might be bad

but assumedly there was going to be an explanation

so it's fine?

Edited by Tryhard