Is Sakura meant to have more strength than Ryoma?

Irony

It's better than or within spitting distance of the base growths of most of the Birthright cast. Well within the variance necessary for Sakura to randomly turn into a Strength monster and beat another character you'd expect to be stronger than her. Unless you're Hana/Kagero/Azura you're not comfortably outside that most times. Sakura also comes in at a lower level than a lot of units so if you game her levels to any extent on Normal/Hard or buy Aptitude online get lucky she has a higher chance to outperform (or underperform). She has >20 levels to make up <20 base Strength on Ryoma. It's unlikely, but it's not impossible, especially if Ryoma helps her by falling behind his expectations. It just doesn't matter in practical terms because of the Raijinto.

The real Sakura growth that's pretty incredible is that 45% HP growth. Makes up for the 0% from Shrine Maiden and jumps to 55% on promotion. If you switch her class to something with actual HP growth she can get pretty bulky thanks to coming in so low-level.

Sakura actually has higher strength than Hana, Kagero and Azura. And yeah, I put a lot of effort into making her good, and I guess the RNGoddess liked that? :)

This is a Birthright playthrough. I don't have Xander on my team, sadly.

I am just wondering how the would compare theoretically. I wasn't asking you specificlly.

Sakura has a 30% base str growth. I don't know why people are calling that good.

Renall already explained a bit, but I'll talk as well.

Remember that Sakura starts as staff locked unit.

For a healer, 30% Str growth, 30% Def growth and 45% HP growth is actually very impressive. Most healers in Fire Emblem would love to have those stats.

She's not going to kill everything in one hit, but she can heal while dealing considerable damage and can afford to take a hit or two. That makes her a very useful and reliable unit.

Edited by Water Mage