What's your backlog of games? And what would you recommend out of your fellow SF-er's list?

henrymidfields

...Sorry, were they lists you already played? Or planning to play?

"What's your backlog of games? And what would you recommend out of your fellow SF-er's list?"

Games I played but did not finish : P

Edited by Zarin

RE: Buying a Wii for those 5 specific games.

-Twilight Princess

Very Impressive dungeons, slightly meatier story (both points in comparison to other zeldas), and a developed character in midna. Other characters, like the resistance members are memorable even if they are never expanded (similar to the pirates in wind waker). Personally I feel that the overworld and even some of the side areas are filled with open space and not really fun to explore compared to the other games. Motion controls are not as fluid as Skyword sword, but as a result the game isn't as physically tiring. I prefer the GCN version though.

-Skyword Sword

Only play if you go through with your plan to do the other zeldas and find yourself wanting more. People often complain about it railroading you by giving explicit hints about where to go and not giving you any tools for exploring out of order, easy difficulty (the generic enemies are back to wind waker passivity and require you to walk very close to them before trying to attack). Also considering that it's a prequel for the entire series it's surprisingly light on story. Motion controls are very natural and there are plenty of high points in the better dungeons. Definitely still a good game in the end.

-Path of Radiance

It's not going to be your 1st or second FE so it can't trick you into seeing difficulty for even a little while. If you play it with your current experience you would probably steamroll the game. If the story is enough of a draw to overcome the likely short amount of hours this will cause the game to last, then go for it.

-Radiant Dawn

It's good, but is it 40-50 dollars good? You have to try harder than check out the amazon listings to get this for what it's worth. At least with HD version you won't get price gouged....

-F-Zero GX

You could un-ironically claim that this is a contender for the greatest game ever developed by Sega, or at least the greatest game from their Amusment Vision division. Better gameplay than F-Zero X, now on par with other arcade racing games, lots of room for technical mastery from the player(and vicous staff records in TT to motivate that) Large amount of stages, and also the visuals are top notch. I struggle to think of a better looking sci-fi racer (that has finished development) even to this day. Just make sure that you play the Grand Prix mode first instead of Story mode. The core gameplay is much easier, and possibly the only way to get good enough to handle it. Blows Wipeout Fusion out of the water, and even Need For Speed, Daytona, and RIdge Racer I only consider equal because of being different genre due to their handling/gameplay, but still don't challenge GX in how much time it'll take from you. This can change the way you see racing games forever.

-GCN vs Wii

As a collector I feel that GCN + Wii U is the superior combination. Wii U can play Wii games fine. WIi cannot replicate a few GCN features, such as the Game Boy Player. The original Wii had a slightly different virtual console library than the Wii U , but that's no longer available. I assume you are going for Wii so you can import the Path of Radiance clear file to Radiant Dawn after you beat it? If you get a wii make sure to check that it's not a "family edition" or "wii mini" since they don't have the backwards compatibility with GameCube.

-Back to the OP's question

If I didn't have a GCN already I would say that GX is definitely worth the 30 dollars for one of GCN/Wii+10 dollars for AV cables/misc. The other games are nice but I' can only approve of them in case of already owning the console / planning to use it for other stuff.

Among games I own I still need to play FE Fates Revelation, InFamous 1, and Metal Gear Rising Reveangance.

I also need to finish FE Fates Conquest and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

Edited by The Geek

Rather than writing a long list, I'll just post a trailer of the game that has the dubious title "the best game no one ever played". This game's story is one of the best in the industry, and its concept is brilliant.

F-Zero GX's story mode is an unrelenting monster of difficulty, even on Normal mode. Beating the story mode on Hard unlocks AX parts, and beating it on Very Hard unlocks AX characters. You should absolutely learn how to quick turn, as it makes the game 500% easier.

F-zero GX's story will take you from behind with no lube and proceed to spawn satan from the depths of hell...not that I'm overeacting or anything.

Fuck Chapter 7 though.

Rather than writing a long list, I'll just post a trailer of the game that has the dubious title "the best game no one ever played". This game's story is one of the best in the industry, and its concept is brilliant.

i have that game, and for fans of the ace attorney series

it was developed by creators of that series.... so if the writing is similar... thats the reason

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, is it also worth getting the following in addition to my list?

• Zelda Wind Waker, Whether the original or the HD
  • Pokémon Colosseum
  • Pokémon Gales of Darkness
Edited by henrymidfields

-Wind Waker

A lot of people claim that this game has the easiest dungeons, and I agree to an extent, Dragon Roost Cave, Forbidden Woods, and Tower of Gods, are pretty simple. Also almost all the non-boss enemies in this game are rather passive, even for Zelda. However I think that the wind temple and earth temple pick up the slack a lot, and are on par with twilight princess and majora's best. Another weakness of the game is the triforce quest. It's pretty disappointing that the pieces don't even get mini dungeons / caves like random heart pieces / extra bottles do. and it also features the hated Rupee grind. I guess it's supposed to encourage you to explore the aforementioned GOOD side areas to get your rupees from their chests? I've personally always felt that the ocean should have been scaled down by about 2/3rds. I've heard that the islands are so far apart only so that the Gamecube's draw distance wouldn't be under too much pressure. Sadly the HD version doesn't change this. The HD version's has a pretty noticeable boost to the graphics, although the original doesn't look bad either. You can also use the tingle tuner without the finicky game boy advance link cable. The story has some nice touches, Gannon is portrayed as a tragic figure at times, and the n64 Zelda games are acknowledged. Personally I like WW just a little more than twilight princess although the first half of the game is probably the weakest in the series.

-Pokémon Coloseum

You reach the final boss at around level 45, which makes it only a little shorter than the normal pokemon games. It does have some post story content. You get to collect some discs and unlock one last tournament with slightly higher level opponets than the final boss. The bad guys drive the story until the end since there's no gyms/elite four to take over once you beat them. I think being able to actually purify every pokemon in the game and not have to use HMs are a nice touch compared to the usual pokemon experience. Also getting all three jhoto starters near the beginning of the game instead of picking one is fun just like it is in pokemon yellow. Almost every encounter in the game is a double battle, although single battles are supported outside the main story. It also has an optional 100 trainer gauntlet, which has the most interesting enemy composition. Starting at level 25 speeds up the early part of the game. No need for pound/tackle/scratch here! Soundtrack doesn't remix classic pokemon music very often and is pretty memorable overall. Piano as main instrument is pretty great.

-Pokémon XD

Similar, but slightly improved. It also features mostly jhoto pokemon, but the two games mostly feature exclusive pokemon. Shadow pokemon are more interesting, since there are multiple shadow attacks, instead of every single one of them receiving shadow rush. Less status effect trainers to deal with. Pokémon Coloseum had a main story boss that spams attract and a couple parafusers on nameless mooks elsewhere. You get to revisit a couple old locations and characters to see how they've changed in the years between the story of Coloseum and this game. You get tms pretty early in both games, so you can customize your pokemon when you want to. XD starts at low level, like normal pokemon games, but still ends at 45, so it's longer than coloseum.

They're alright if you like pokemon enough. Keep in mind that these are gen 3 games and there is no special/physical split. If all you wanted was an rpg, I don't consider the GCN as bad as most people claim, between tales of phantasia, baton kaitos, paper Mario, and the skies of arcadia port. If you just want a pokemon game, instead of any rpg, then it is much easier to recommend. I think my official stance is still going to be "pass them up" though.

PC- Legend Of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 1

The Agarest games I have

HOMM 5

C&C Red Alert 3

SupCom 1+FA

Torchlight

AoE 2+3

Warriors Battlecry 3

Man I need to wait for the next big break I have to finish one of the rpgs.

Oh fuckdammit the steam and gog sales are gonna kill me.

Edited by Skurge

games i have(these aren't all of my games, just the games that have top priority)

-Xenogears (currently playing)

-Xenoblade chronicles

-Tales of the abyss

-Tales of symphonia chronicles

-bravely second

-final fantasy 7

-Kingdom hearts 1.5 and 2.5

Games i don't own but want to play:

-tales of xillia 1 and 2

-loz twilight princess

-loz ocarina of time

-mario and luigi: partners in time

-mario and luigi: dream team

-persona 4

-and a lot more

Most of my backlog consists of rpgs in general so who knows if i'm even going to complete them all.

In response to the thread creator about my recommendations. I would suggest tales of the abyss. It's a really good rpg with really great gameplay. You can get it on the 3ds but it might be hard to find.

Edited by Weltal