QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty stuff to look at~!

(well, ok sometimes not so pretty)

(and sometimes it's not something to look at)

but generally, to me it's just there and it's something I love appreciatin0g

if you couldn't tell, I don't have deep thoughts

oh I just want to point out that I typed this post while I wasn't wearing contact lenses so that glaringly obvious typo was not so obvious to me before

Edited by Freohr Datia

I've posted the quote I have ready at hand before, so I'll skip that, esp. because it's not as POWERFUL WRITING as others I could think of. I'd rather pick something from Anathem or Snow Crash or The Name of the Wind. Of these the first's powerful writing is of a long-winded sort, and the second is more flippant than anything.

In The Name of the Wind, Kvothe said:

“I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me."

Special bonus quotes:

Spoiler
In The Name of the Wind, Kvothe also said:

“Remember this, son, if you forget everything else. A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens.” 

In The Name of the Wind, Skarpi said:

“All stories are true,” Skarpi said. “But this one really happened, if that’s what you mean.” He took another slow drink, then smiled again, his bright eyes dancing. “More or less. You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way. Too much truth confuses the facts. Too much honesty makes you sound insincere.”

Edited by Euklyd
messing w/ html

maaan basically all the good anathem quotes are massive spoilers as to the true nature of the book itself

In Anathem, Fraa Erasmus wrote:

So I looked with fascination at those people in their [cars], and tried to fathom what it would be like. Thousands of years ago, the work that people did had been broken down into jobs that were the same every day, in organizations where people were interchangeable parts. All of the story had been bled out of their lives. That was how it had to be; it was how you got a productive economy. But it would be easy to see a will at work behind this: not exactly an evil will, but a selfish will. The people who'd made the system thus were jealous, not of money and not of power but of story. If their employees came home at day's end with interesting stories to tell, it meant that something had gone wrong: a blackout, a strike, a spree killing. The Powers That Be would not suffer others to be in stories of their own unless they were fake stories that had been made up to motivate them.

I'm assuming we're talking about prose works here, rather than including, say, mangos.

Because I already can't decide on quotes from a handful of normal books, let alone zillions of mangos.