QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

3 hours ago, Refa said:

Weddings.  I don't think getting married should be so ridiculously expensive and require so much planning.

This. I agree with this. Anything with the word wedding slapped on it pretty much doubles in price. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of weddings

while my husband and I made our wedding stupid cheap in comparison, what I don't get is why there's this expectation some women have on the man to spend their life's fortune on the fanciest rings he can find

it just sounds like a really selfish way of getting him to "prove himself" for you on material possessions (and if you want to start a future with him why do you want to start it out with a huge chunk of money missing anyway?)

when we went shopping for rings last minute (that was his fault :b) I saw the prices on some of the most expensive wedding rings and cried because some people out there are going to pay that much and I grew up a very poor person so seeing those numbers hurt me physically

For the previous question: The World Ends With You, although I'm a bit conflicted about it since the game pretty much wrapped up the story beautifully, and a sequel could ruin that. 

For this question: Well, I guess I find it strange that people think eating pizza with pineapples on it is normal.

2 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

Power dynamics in relationships, it seems really unhealthy

also I'll have you know pineapple on pizza is cultured

Pineapple on pizza is the best. I don't see why people have a problem with it.

1 hour ago, Freohr Datia said:

what I don't get is why there's this expectation some women have on the man to spend their life's fortune on the fanciest rings he can find

Apparently, it was the result of the most successful ad campaign ever by a diamond cartel.  I know this sounds sarcastic, but I'm actually being serious here.  Makes no practical sense to me either!

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

For this question: Well, I guess I find it strange that people think eating pizza with pineapples on it is normal.

As someone who hates pineapple on pizza, I think this is more a matter of taste than a societal issue.

Tipping when it is considered mandatory, especially in the US.

You only do it for certain occupations, not for example, cashiers in stores. Yet it is assumed that you should be doing this because tipping is the only way for them to get any decent living money but I'd rather pay more for whatever and for workers to actually get paid decent wages so they aren't reliant on the generosity of their customers. In addition, kitchen staff can also see income disparity as a result of this compared to servers since they aren't the ones that get the tips.

Edited by Tryhard

2 hours ago, Refa said:

As someone who hates pineapple on pizza, I think this is more a matter of taste than a societal issue.

Yeah, I assumed so. I couldn't really think of anything "normal" that I found "strange"...so, how about this:

I find it strange that people put their hands in their pockets when its not really needed unless your hands are feeling cold. Like, do people do it to look cool or something? Or its just a common habit?

The need for formal clothing (even when it is uncomfortable) is pretty weird. I get that some people like it, but i think it is ridiculous to require/expect it for so many things. Then there is the myriad of made-up notions as to how either gender should behave and act. Also, and this is more for North American countries, having infant male circumsion as a norm. Then there is also the views of society in general as to how people should carry out both romantic and platonic relationships.

In fact i think society as a whole is fairly weird. 

15 hours ago, Refa said:

Weddings.  I don't think getting married should be so ridiculously expensive and require so much planning.

To add to this, its so awkward seeing so many people at a wedding when the people getting married aren't going to see half, of more than half, of these people for years after.

4 hours ago, SlayerX said:

The need for formal clothing (even when it is uncomfortable) is pretty weird. I get that some people like it, but i think it is ridiculous to require/expect it for so many things. Then there is the myriad of made-up notions as to how either gender should behave and act. Also, and this is more for North American countries, having infant male circumsion as a norm. Then there is also the views of society in general as to how people should carry out both romantic and platonic relationships.

In fact i think society as a whole is fairly weird. 

Man don't I hate the formal clothing hype, agreed.

9 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Tipping when it is considered mandatory, especially in the US.

You only do it for certain occupations, not for example, cashiers in stores. Yet it is assumed that you should be doing this because tipping is the only way for them to get any decent living money but I'd rather pay more for whatever and for workers to actually get paid decent wages so they aren't reliant on the generosity of their customers. In addition, kitchen staff can also see income disparity as a result of this compared to servers since they aren't the ones that get the tips.

Tipping is the worst but it's a change that restaurants need to make, not consumers.  A few restaurants in the US have done as you said and have been fairly successful, and there's also most (citation needed) other countries doing the same thing.

4 hours ago, SlayerX said:

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

Marriage

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Showing violence and gore in TV programs and films is okay. Showing nudity and sex in TV programmes and films on the other hand, is not.

Same.

10 hours ago, Refa said:

Apparently, it was the result of the most successful ad campaign ever by a diamond cartel.  I know this sounds sarcastic, but I'm actually being serious here.  Makes no practical sense to me either!

Yep. The De Beers corporation inflates the prices of diamonds by releasing quantities very slowly, creating low supply high demand. It's silly. Recently people have started going for different gemstones (or no gemstones) but diamonds are still wildly popular.