Imperial/Customary vs Metric System

Rezzy

From what I've been told, a foot is 12 inches (look, another term that is about the same thing as the value of phi to someone who uses the metric system). That size is drawn from a generalization that 12 inches is the size that is just right. However, feet could be 12,5 inches big or be smaller than 12 inches. That is why any calculation using feet is more of an inductive approximation than an exact measure. 1 meter will always be 1 meter, there is no hypothesis where a meter will be 1,2 or 1,6 unless the person made a mistake on calculation, it is not an approximation but an universal truth. 1 foot can have 12,5 inches or 12 inches, thus if I calculate measures by foot and take them literally I'll end up with different measures than you for each X feet that we measure. The only way feet can be calculated is by assuming that our measure is more or less 12 inches, which is actually an approximation to the true value. That's also why I prefer the metric system and that is why I said it is more precise.

With that said, I'm only trying to use logic with what I know. I could be horribly wrong factually.

also, since we're talking about systems, let me point out that the US [month]/[day]/[year] system gives me headaches. Why can't we all just adopt an universal system and break customary barriers for scientifical things? It'd be much easier to communicate that way.

Edited by Rapier

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've been told, a foot is 12 inches (look, another term that is about the same thing as the value of phi to someone who uses the metric system). That size is drawn from a generalization that 12 inches is the size that is just right. However, feet could be 12,5 inches big or be smaller than 12 inches. That is why any calculation using feet is more of an inductive approximation than an exact measure. 1 meter will always be 1 meter, there is no hypothesis where a meter will be 1,2 or 1,6 unless the person made a mistake on calculation, it is not an approximation but an universal truth. 1 foot can have 12,5 inches or 12 inches, thus if I calculate measures by foot and take them literally I'll end up with different measures than you for each X feet that we measure. The only way feet can be calculated is by assuming that our measure is more or less 12 inches, which is actually an approximation to the true value. That's also why I prefer the metric system and that is why I said it is more precise.

With that said, I'm only trying to use logic with what I know. I could be horribly wrong factually.

also, since we're talking about systems, let me point out that the US [month]/[day]/[year] system gives me headaches. Why can't we all just adopt an universal system and break customary barriers for scientifical things? It'd be much easier to communicate that way.

A foot is always 12 inches when used as a measurement. It does not vary by person. A person with a 9 inch foot and a person with a 12.5 inch foot will all use the same 12 inches when using foot as a measurement.

Do cm, mm, m, km look long to you guys? Man, every time I see someone using imperial system, my mind just automatically considers the numbers garbage and ignores it. So does every time "soccer" is used instead of "football".

Edited by Magical CC

Do cm, mm, m, km look long to you guys? Man, every time I see someone using imperial system, my mind just automatically considers the numbers garbage and ignores it. So does every time "soccer" is used instead of "football".

I'm just glad the global currency is the dollar instead of the euro. What's that? It's worth more? It won't be for much longer.

A foot is always 12 inches when used as a measurement. It does not vary by person. A person with a 9 inch foot and a person with a 12.5 inch foot will all use the same 12 inches when using foot as a measurement.

which is what I said

The only way feet can be calculated is by assuming that our measure is more or less 12 inches, which is actually an approximation to the true value

You take into account 12 inches, but when taking measures you use your own feet (9 inch, 12.5 inch etc.) as a reference, then say "hmm, this is X feet tall". Because a 9 inch foot is not the same as the default 12 inches, such measurement can only be an approximation of its true size.

If you take a math problem and it uses feet as the system, sure, no problem. But if you want to measure how wide your room is, unless your foot is 12 inches it will only be an approximation of its actual size. Calculating how wide your room is with a 9 inch foot then saying it is 7 feet large can not be taken as a literal measure because 9x7 is different from 12x7. That's what I meant.

Edited by Rapier

which is what I said

You take into account 12 inches, but when taking measures you use your own feet (9 inch, 12.5 inch etc.) as a reference, then say "hmm, this is X feet tall". Because a 9 inch foot is not the same as the default 12 inches, such measurement can only be an approximation of its true size.

If you take a math problem and it uses feet as the system, sure, no problem. But if you want to measure how wide your room is, unless your foot is 12 inches it will only be an approximation of its actual size. Calculating how wide your room is with a 9 inch foot then saying it is 7 feet large can not be taken as a literal measure because 9x7 is different from 12x7. That's what I meant.

Most people don't use their feet for measurement, unless they know exactly how long it is. I know my outstretch thumb and index finger are 6 inches apart, and my thumb is 2 cm wide. If you know how long a bodt part is, you can use it to measure things, otherwise, you're just working under faulty assumptions.

Actually, what's with the partial metrification of Britain? Why insist on using feet/miles for road signs, and certain other stuff and using grams/meters for some other stuff? I can understand staying Imperial as that is what the country has been used to, and I see feet and miles quite intiutuve. I used to live in the US, so I understand the mile as 1.6km, and I think in rural areas, it is from one big crossroad to the next. As an architect, 90 x 45mm Australian-sized timber section sounds odd, until one realise that it replaced 4 x 2 inch timber sections. Or that a 2440/2740mm high ceiling is essentially an 8/9-foot ceiling.

But having some as metric and others as Imperial - and this seems to be public and legally-binding stuff such as road signs and the like - ...I'm surprised people don't get confused. Over here in Australia, we do still say feet/pounds etc in conversations but things that are in public and legally binding are always in metric. At least if certain thing are to be metric to align with the EU, shouldn't road signs be one of the first things, considering the potential dangers in driving visitors from the rest of the EU mixing the units up?

Edited by henrymidfields

As an architect, 90 x 45mm Australian-sized timber section sounds odd, until one realise that it replaced 4 x 2 inch timber sections. Or that a 2440/2740mm high ceiling is essentially an 8/9-foot ceiling.

I feel that's pretty much just smaller numbers being more intuitive (or it's just a matter of habit, I almost always use cm and m over mm). It's still pretty easy to understand it in the metric system by adapting the prefixes like this (it's more often used in everyday situations though, not so much in product descriptions):

9 x 4.5 cm

2.44 / 2.74 m

I personally prefer the metric system. I never use the imperial system and only understand it well for smaller numbers.

Edited by Gradivus.

As a chemical engineering major I greatly prefer the metric system, even though I grew up on the imperial system. It's so much easier to convert units scaled along powers of 10, and even converting to other unit types feels more intuitive. It's bothersome when a problem starts with units of one and asks for units of another.