Your Favorite Unpopular Units

Note: This thread was originally called "Characters I Like That Most Other People Don't (please tell me why)." but its current name is "Your Favorite Unpopular Units", because I want to make this thread a place where other people can tell the world which unpopular characters they like and why, as well as receive the opinions of their fellow users. My original post can be found below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RANT TIME! (Please don't hate me for this. It's just my opinion, and I want to know your thoughts.)

So I was looking at some of the current results for a Fire Emblem Fates popularity poll here on Serenes Forest (Check it out here: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64072)and I felt as though there were many characters who were being horribly misrepresented. Why is it that almost every single one of the characters that had a higher "dislike" score than "like" score are characters that I actually like? Here are some examples. If at all possible, if there is a character on here that you don't like, please tell me why. I would really appreciate the input.

- Hayato
I find Hayoto's over-confidence endearing. His characterization does well to remind me of one of my personal favorite units, since I really liked Ricken back in Awakening.

- Yukimura
My favorite of the CorrinSexuals, aside from Izana. He works really hard to protect Hoshido and I think people need to give him a little more credit.

- Nyx
I gave her the Excaliber tome at the end of my Conquest play-through and she destroyed EVERYTHING. I also really like her character design and I S-supported her on a whim. No regrets.

- Asugi
I didn't like Gaius back in Awakening, because he was worthless in a fight if you didn't put in the time to train him up or reclass him. Asugi is different. The superiority of the Ninja class and his ability to inherit skills allows him to be a powerful force on the battlefield.

- Hisame
The big one. The one that I just cannot comprehend. There are so many reasons to like him. He's great in battle with his high defense inheritance, he has good supports with many of the other units, he has good voice-acting, he is the ONLY character Shigure can gain a class from in an A+ support, and his quotes are HILARIOUS. In case you didn't know, his pickle obsession wasn't something that was added onto his characterization in the localization. The Japanese version had plenty of it: http://pastebin.com/a9FZt8aD I just don't get it. Show Hisame some love, people.

And while I'm not overly fond of Rhajat, I definitely like her WAY more than I liked Tharja. I DESPISED Tharja, but Rhajat isn't as bad, imo. The lesbian S-support really helps her case, too. Most people don't agree at all, and I have no idea why. If Niles is so loved, then why can't Rhajat just be given a little bit of that credit? I'm just saying.

And also, why is Male Corrin always ranked lower than Female Corrin? They are literally THE EXACT SAME CHARACTER. They have NO DIFFERENCES WHATSOEVER.

Please explain. Seriously. (And thank you for taking the time to read this.)

Edited by KoolioKenneth

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also, why is Male Corrin always ranked lower than Female Corrin? They are literally THE EXACT SAME CHARACTER. They have NO DIFFERENCES WHATSOEVER.

Because Fem!Corrin gets a pass from actions/things people deem irritating about M!Corrin either because she's hot (from guys) or because girls self-insert themselves into her and hold her up as some super special goddess (from girls, of course). If you think I'm joking, just check out her portrayal in fanart/fanfiction.

Meanwhile guys seem to have a harder time self-inserting themselves into M!Corrin, from what I've seen, since his personality isn't typical macho (which is fine since he's actually not a self-insert, he's his own character).

Edited by Abvora

Because Fem!Corrin gets a pass from actions/things people deem irritating about M!Corrin either because she's hot (from guys) or because girls self-insert themselves into her and hold her up as some super special goddess (from girls, of course). If you think I'm joking, just check out her portrayal in fanart/fanfiction.

Meanwhile guys seem to have a harder time self-inserting themselves into M!Corrin, from what I've seen, since his personality isn't typical macho (which is fine since he's actually not a self-insert, he's his own character).

I can understand that way of thinking, but it's pretty shallow-minded. I prefer the ambiguity of having them both be different versions of the same character rather than to trying to differentiate them. But thanks for your input.

A matter of opinion, first of all. We all have different likes, tastes, dislikes and no one should be judged because of that. Not calling you out or anything; this is just in general.

As for the Corrins, I feel indifferent to them. I find how they are written within the context of the game somewhat annoying and, while I do head!canon a completely different personality and appearance for them, I don't particularly hate them. I don't like either or more than the other; my choice for choosing either gender literally boils down to who I feel like romancing at the time. I'm a heterosexual female so I find myself more inclined to pick a female to marry a bangin' dude; I do have my set of waifus, however.

The characters you pointed out, I like them as well.

Hayato was a big surprise to me; I felt they did much better with the character theme/gimmick than they did with Ricken. Hayato shows a certain maturity that Ricken seemed to lack.

Yukimura is a good character but suffers from availability issues and lack of supports. Had he had more supports, I feel his character would have been received a bit better.

Nyx is fine to me. I actually plan on marrying her when playing as Mamui. I personally love the Dark Mage/Sorceror design (I'm apparently one of few that does). I will admit that Nyx can come off as a bit whiny and annoying; she seems to reiterate the same thing about herself during supports but that is a majority of the characters. I actually felt like her support with Xander was one of the stronger ones, as well as hers with Tsubaki; they don't mention the characters' gimmicks very much, giving their other traits some time to show.

I won't mention much about the children because I haven't done all their supports but:

Asugi, I like him. I personally liked his relationship with his father, Saizou; I find it to be one of the better parent-child supports.

The same with Hisame and Hinata. It was one of my favorite parent-child supports. The pickle obsession with Hisame seems to be exaggerated; I don't know for certain. The only support with him that I completed was with Shigure and they do eat pickled veggies while drinking tea but that isn't the focus of the support.

Rhajat is better than Tharja, I will give her that. I honestly felt that Felicia/Azura would have been better same-sex choices but that's neither here nor there.

A matter of opinion, first of all. We all have different likes, tastes, dislikes and no one should be judged because of that. Not calling you out or anything; this is just in general.

As for the Corrins, I feel indifferent to them. I find how they are written within the context of the game somewhat annoying and, while I do head!canon a completely different personality and appearance for them, I don't particularly hate them. I don't like either or more than the other; my choice for choosing either gender literally boils down to who I feel like romancing at the time. I'm a heterosexual female so I find myself more inclined to pick a female to marry a bangin' dude; I do have my set of waifus, however.

The characters you pointed out, I like them as well.

Hayato was a big surprise to me; I felt they did much better with the character theme/gimmick than they did with Ricken. Hayato shows a certain maturity that Ricken seemed to lack.

Yukimura is a good character but suffers from availability issues and lack of supports. Had he had more supports, I feel his character would have been received a bit better.

Nyx is fine to me. I actually plan on marrying her when playing as Mamui. I personally love the Dark Mage/Sorceror design (I'm apparently one of few that does). I will admit that Nyx can come off as a bit whiny and annoying; she seems to reiterate the same thing about herself during supports but that is a majority of the characters. I actually felt like her support with Xander was one of the stronger ones, as well as hers with Tsubaki; they don't mention the characters' gimmicks very much, giving their other traits some time to show.

I won't mention much about the children because I haven't done all their supports but:

Asugi, I like him. I personally liked his relationship with his father, Saizou; I find it to be one of the better parent-child supports.

The same with Hisame and Hinata. It was one of my favorite parent-child supports. The pickle obsession with Hisame seems to be exaggerated; I don't know for certain. The only support with him that I completed was with Shigure and they do eat pickled veggies while drinking tea but that isn't the focus of the support.

Rhajat is better than Tharja, I will give her that. I honestly felt that Felicia/Azura would have been better same-sex choices but that's neither here nor there.

Thank you for your response. I hope there are more people in the FE community with your kind of open-mindedness. Please feel free to continue to provide your own input, to anyone else who is reading this.

Surprisingly, I've actually grown to like Rhajat a bit, far more than Tharja. I'm not too sure why. Maybe it's because, despite her solitary nature, she comes off as a bit nicer than Tharja (though much crazier).

Percy I also like a lot....though I can understand most not liking him because of how he acts in his recruitment Paralogue.

Hinata has grown into one of my favorites. He feels like the kind of guy I'd get along with in real life. :)

Hayato - I'm indifferent towards him; I'm not overly fond of the whole 'looks so young but is actually an adult' trope, but since I've done very few of his supports I can't say I dislike him. Corrin apparently loves him?! (A support) - that was a little odd to read.

Yukimura - personally I really like his character. I especially like his design. His support with Lady Corrin is sweet (he has a very different support with Lord Corrin). I'm guessing a lack of supports and his being less supportive of you than someone like Scarlet probably has him being unpopular?

Nyx - I must admit, her voice irritates me, as does her design. Purely personal taste. That being said, she was a pretty great witch in my last Conquest run and she has some good supports (I liked Nyx/Jakob, Nyx/Hayato, Nyx/Subaki and it sounds as if I need to do Nyx/Kaze!), so she's growing on me. I'm also perturbed by the number of S-rank supports she has that include a proposal with 'I see a child' - 2 or 3? Odin and Leo at least. Either way I find those creepy, but they're easily avoided.

Asugi - yeah, I think I voted dislike for him. He has some good supports but it's so hard to divorce him from Gaius and the sweet obsession is far more overplayed than Hisame's pickle love. It's especially frustrating because I love Saizo, but it's as if Saizo doesn't get a unique child - just a copy of someone else. Caeldori doesn't bother me as much because her character portrait and personality are sufficiently different, I think. Eh, my dislike of Asugi is really more aimed at the writers here.

Hisame - BEST CHILD, well, okay, maybe not best, but he's in my top 5. I love his supports so much. The pickle love is definitely overplayed and really only dominates his supports with Lady Corrin (I admit, that S rank IS terrible) and Selkie. I love the dynamic he has with Shigure and Kiragi, and I'm particularly fond of his romance with Mitama. I married Corrin to Hinata in my last Birthright run just so he could be my pickle child. I'm admittedly probably biased because I have a real-life child with a pickle obsession, so...

Hayoto - Brash child-like character striving to be seen as an adult and highlighting his childishness thereby. It's a trope that's been ground into a fine powder at this point, and while his isn't super egregious, it's also completely by-the-numbers so I routinely pass on him for more interesting characters. Doesn't help that his stat growths aren't really anything to write home about.

Yukimura - comes way, way too late after already being mostly a plot contrivance for most of the game. Maybe if he'd visited the Castle every now and again to update you on the progress of the war he would've felt more connected.

Nyx - Nyx is alright to me. decent is supports, somewhat usable stats. No strong feelings one way or the other.

Asugi - Way overplayed on the sweets thing, similar to Gaius. I've been grinding skills on folks and as a result have seen quite a few of his supports, and the prevalence of that element of his character is just suffocating.

Hisame - When he's not pickling he's just a bland archetypal stoic samurai. So he alternates between being annoying and being bland. Decent unit though.

Yes, Female Corrin is more attractive to male players, and probably female players too. It's not that deep. If you put up a character poll with no criteria other than 'who do you like more?', the female version is going to get a lot of votes based on her looks. Granted, there are different outlooks on how men and women should act in certain situations, but I don't think those are heavily weighing factors.

Allow me to also toss in the two cents that Lady Corrin has a few good S-ranks here and there; her S-rank with Odin is one of my favorite conversations period.

Edited by Inference

Characters I've seen dislike by people?

Well I love Rhajat. A lot of it might have to do with emergent storytelling rather than a conscious effort on the dev's part though, but she has always been glorious in my playthrough. It all started by her falling in adoration for my Kamui for saving her life during the after-mission cutscene, while simultaneously ignoring completely her father's own sacrifice to get to her barely 5 minutes earlier (sorry Hayato, but Subaki could only save one). It all continued with how her stalking translated in the gameplay: with her following Kamui everywhere, laying waste to anyone foolish enough to harm the subject of her obsession (even if Kamui was mostly safe thanks to Hinoka), she was basically the incarnation of vengeance.

So for all this (very creepy, don't do that) stalkerish attitude, it translated nicely in actual gameplay, which made much more stomach able the idea that a friendship could exist between her and Kamui or anyone in the army since she seems to have an habit of stalking different people. Plus I absolutely love the voice actress which definitely helps. Since I've only done one playthrough, I haven't been very far in her supports with a lot of other characters (C or B with the one I use, at most) but I generally find them entertaining.

Edited by Arkayjiya

You should be commended for having a difference of opinion. Variety keeps the conversation interesting. I agree with you views mostly but I don't really have anything to comment on.

Though I will mention about the Corrins, I think the reason most people prefer the female is because more people use her. Live streams and videos on fates before the game came out? Female Corrin. Robin and Corrin announced for smash? Everybody refers to them as "she" (and on a side note this is one of the most infuriating things about watching smash videos for me. I'm completely fine with both genders being included, but it just grates hearing them use "she" over and over even when they're playing trailer footage in the background which clearly features the male one. This is why I use "the Avatar" most of the time to include everybody's preference). Still, I imagine plenty of guys use male Corrin for the waifu stuff, since it's the only way to mate with girls. Mostly.

I dislike Nyx because of her voice clips (she's always yelling at me for no reason wtf) and her dialogue is mostly annoying, like I get it you're old and bitter. I wanted to like her because her gypsy design is great, but even that is made weird by her appearance supposed to be that of a child. I only used her in my Revelation run to marry her to Jakob and their supports were actually good, so I dunno, maybe she isn't that bad but she makes a terrible first impression.

Yukimura is cool. I don't get why people dislike him either.

For me personally, Orochi is one of my favourites so it was surprising that she was the least popular character in the Japanese poll.

- Hisame

The big one. The one that I just cannot comprehend. There are so many reasons to like him. He's great in battle with his high defense inheritance, he has good supports with many of the other units, he has good voice-acting, he is the ONLY character Shigure can gain a class from in an A+ support, and his quotes are HILARIOUS. In case you didn't know, his pickle obsession wasn't something that was added onto his characterization in the localization. The Japanese version had plenty of it: http://pastebin.com/a9FZt8aD I just don't get it. Show Hisame some love, people.

Hisame is actually the only one I like out of those ones you listed. I ALWAYS make Hisame a Swordmaster, and he's instantly better than his father. Hisame freakin' kills it out there! He was one of the MVPs in my first Birthright playthrough (other than Kaden, Mozu and Rinkah)

Yukimura: He's a pain in the neck on Revelation, where he stands out to me as abrasive for no good reason. Whatever the justification is, it doesn't really work for me because reasonably he ought to behave the same way on Revelation+Conquest (or be a lil nicer on Revelation), and he just doesn't. Since he's got so lil writing, this stands out as more of an issue to me than it would've for someone else.

Nyx: I'm really more neutral to her but... She has a lot of repetitive supports. For me, that just makes her kinda boring, but if you don't like her gimmick, I imagine that makes her actually unlikable.

For m!Corrin vs f!Corrin, I like f!Corrin because picking her gives you a girl that actually does stuff in the middle of allllll the royal brothers, while m!Corrin just gives you more of the same. Also, even though the dialogue is similar for them both, just the gender change totally changes the feel of several relationships for me, and I prefer f!Corrin's relationships.

Edited by blinkingbrave

With such a huge cast there's always gonna be ones more popular than others. But at the same time, it means everyone can find a character they like/can relate to.

If I had to guess, they're not as popular because their supports tend to be repetitive and focus / exaggerate their one character quirk (eg Hayato = "I'm not a kid, I'm a grown man", Nyx = "I'm not a kid, stop treating me like one", Hisame = "I like pickles", Tsubaki = "I'm perfect" etc etc). I mean, most characters who are not story-relevant do tend to emphasize their one character trait, so I guess maybe it depends on if that character trait is annoying or not.

It might also have to do with how well they perform as a unit. Of course due to RNG everyone has a different experience. But Birthright Hayato does come at level 1, so you have to baby him for a bit before he becomes good, and I'm thinking that probably makes people bench him, thus making them not like him.

As for the kids, I find it ironic that Rhajat Caeldori and Asugi aren't popular, because they exist because Tharja Cordelia and Gaius are the most popular. The results might be skewed because not everyone even recruit or use the kids I guess.

I'm mostly neutral to the characters you listed, but I do like Hisame. His support with Velouria and Ophelia shows him as a very sweet and caring person. Or maybe I like him because he reminds me a bit of Lon'qu, who was one of my faves in Awakening.

Nyx... I find her supports do tend to repeat itself a lot, but she does have some really good ones, like with Kaze and Jakob (I seriously wanted to cry after reading their S), and with Niles (their S makes me laugh). And honest her support with Xander is one of my faves for Xander.

Edited by MapleRose

For m!Corrin vs f!Corrin, I like f!Corrin because picking her gives you a girl that actually does stuff in the middle of allllll the royal brothers, while m!Corrin just gives you more of the same. Also, even though the dialogue is similar for them both, just the gender change totally changes the feel of several relationships for me, and I prefer f!Corrin's relationships.

Azura exists, y'know :P

I like M!Corrin more for the opposite reasons--that soft, non-macho personality is endearing on a guy but irritating on a girl for me, because it plays with gender stereotypes. Men are told they're "supposed" to be Strong and Tough and Unemotional, so having a male protagonist who is very emotional and pretty nice and sweet, and has those things praised as his best traits, is something I enjoy a lot. Whereas with f!Corrin the same personality just comes across as Same Old Same Old since it's very common among media females.

I dislike Corrin because he/she is a whiny idiot at the best of times, and an insuferable Mary Sue at worst who everyone worships for no reason. I'm sorry, who everyone worships because he/she is the super awsome chosen hero of destiny, wielder of a legendary sword, half dragon, demigod, tactician, leader, prince(ss) of three different nations, and all around your typical deviantArt OC except canon.

And I think this of both Corrins

Meanwhile I think Robin was a great character, and he isn't exactly a shinning example of masculinity (he is a bit slightly effeminate, has low self esteem/confidence, and is frankly a massive dork)

Edited by TheWerdna

I don't have a lot of opinions on any of those characters, so I'm not sure I can contribute much to the thread. However, I will say that I find Nyx's schtick annoying, since it's like they took the worst aspects of Nowi's character and reused them, as if they hadn't heard (or willfully ignored) the criticism surrounding her. I know she's not a Nowi clone, but she's still an older woman in skimpy clothing who looks much younger than she is, and I'm not a fan of that.

Edited by Thane

I'm mostly neutral to the characters you listed, but I do like Hisame. His support with Velouria and Ophelia shows him as a very sweet and caring person. Or maybe I like him because he reminds me a bit of Lon'qu, who was one of my faves in Awakening.

Lon'qu was also one of my favourites, but I hadn't made the connection to Hisame! But it makes sense.

tbh I find Yukimura kinda adorable. Shame I can't get him on Revelation.

Hayato I mostly just don't like kids by default. I deal with enough annoying brats as is. Sakura and Elise are more exceptions than the norm.

Nyx I'm more or less neutral on--I like her more in JP, but her demeanor's more bratty and irritable in the English. I'll give her a pass since it's something that wasn't in the original though, but it's not like she was ever a favorite of mine so neutrality's neutrality.

While I don't like the whole "give an explicitly-child-bodied character a skimpy outfit and make the excuse that she's hella old!!!" thing I don't hold bad outfit choices against the characters themselves. But really couldn't she just be a really short, but with an adult body and some other irreversible curse or something, or something more all-age appropriate it'd make this ordeal a lot less awkward

Most kids I'm kinda neutral on. I don't like the existence of the expies on principle, though. Rhaj's recruitment conversation still creeped me out.

As for FCorn vs MCorn, I dislike both equally as characters, but if I had to draw Corn for some fanart they're relevant in, I'm drawing FCorn because shitty outfits can always be reclassed but FCorn has better hair. Still ain't mean I actually like her any more as a person, though, they're basically the same and I'm treating them as one.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I dislike Corrin because he/she is a whiny idiot at the best of times, and an insuferable Mary Sue at worst who everyone worships for no reason. I'm sorry, who everyone worships because he/she is the super awsome chosen hero of destiny, wielder of a legendary sword, half dragon, demigod, tactician, leader, prince(ss) of three different nations, and all around your typical deviantArt OC except canon.

And I think this of both Corrins

Meanwhile I think Robin was a great character, and he isn't exactly a shinning example of masculinity (he is a bit slightly effeminate, has low self esteem/confidence, and is frankly a massive dork)

I personally think Robin was super bland and boring, whereas Corrin's naivete made him a better, actually flawed character. And yeah, his background screams Mary Sue, but he's really not. He messes up too often and gets called on it, unlike Robin who never received any crap for Emmeryn or that stunt with the Valm fleet. While I don't think either is a Sue since they can't do everything, I do think Robin is closer to being a Sue than Corrin since his worship comes from people who barely know him (unlike Corrin's, which mostly comes from his siblings) and he doesn't get called on his mistakes.

And why do people call him whiny? I went into the games expecting to see Shinji Ikari 2.0 and he really only complains a few times, and only in Conquest--not at all in Birthright and Revelation.

I personally think Robin was super bland and boring, whereas Corrin's naivete made him a better, actually flawed character. And yeah, his background screams Mary Sue, but he's really not. He messes up too often and gets called on it, unlike Robin who never received any crap for Emmeryn or that stunt with the Valm fleet. While I don't think either is a Sue since they can't do everything, I do think Robin is closer to being a Sue than Corrin since his worship comes from people who barely know him (unlike Corrin's, which mostly comes from his siblings) and he doesn't get called on his mistakes.

And why do people call him whiny? I went into the games expecting to see Shinji Ikari 2.0 and he really only complains a few times, and only in Conquest--not at all in Birthright and Revelation.

The difference is Robin is really just a sue when it comes to being a tactician, which I find acceptable because that's that the player is: the tactician. Fates instead has Corrin being great by virtue of being Corrin with the game giving us really no other reason why Corrin is so great besides the Yato havinh chosen him.

And see, making Corrin flawed and all is great, but the problem is they never really give him much in the way of seeming competant. He walks this weird line of sueness and being rather incompetant and it just bugs me. Everytime he's called on his screwups I question why he's even ij charge when several other characters are far more competant. Yet he is the leader because reasons.

I also disagree with the idea of Robin being bland, just that his/depth and flaws are seen mostly in supports and scattered in story dialogue.

To be fair my opinion of Corrin being whiny and an idiot is likely tainted due to playing conquest first, where he was completely insufferable. He does get better in the other routes, I will admit, but first impressions are hard to shake off.)

To be fair my opinion of Corrin being whiny and an idiot is likely tainted due to playing conquest first, where he was completely insufferable. He does get better in the other routes, I will admit, but first impressions are hard to shake off.)

This is exactly it. Did you notice that most people play Conquest first, and then the rest? Or might not even play Birthright at all? I played Birthright first and damn Corrin was a badass. Lmao. All like "c'mon army let's kick some butt!!! You'll regret the day you lived!!!" like damn (okay maybe I'm exaggerating a bit lol but yeah). I haven't played Revelations yet, but I was really surprised by Conquest Corrin. They were almost two totally different people. I liked it though because it showed the stark change in Corrin's beliefs and behavior between Nohr and Hoshido.

but if I had to draw Corn for some fanart they're relevant in, I'm drawing FCorn because shitty outfits can always be reclassed but FCorn has better hair.

This made me laugh, and it's true!

Revelation Corrin is pretty alright; the whole 'I can't tell you WHY you should trust me' gets a little stale, but in terms of decision making Revelation Corrin is on a par with Birthright Corrin.

I like Hana, I really just don't know why

I don't like Hana, but I can't really explain why. :x