Your Favorite Unpopular Units

The thing for me is that most of his flaws and hypocrisies aren't presented as such by the game. I feel like we're supposed to see him as flawed only in that "he can't decide between his duty and his morals" but like... The game paints him as honourable, when he does mostly dishonourable things. He makes speeches about justice being an illusion while displaying a sense of justice when it's convenient for him. He whines about Kamui (and Camilla in Rev) betraying Nohr when it's him and his dad who are harming the country, but even after he's defeated Kamui decides Xander was right after all. The game never questions Xander or shows these inconsistencies as part of his character development.

Well, the game almost never gives any character development to the others, so I think we can agree that IntSys really dropped the ball in Fates.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

screw it, I actually like Kana

she's a perfect child

I certainly don't mind Kana, but male Kana, at least, displays no more maturity and about as much naivety as my four year old most of the time. I mean, I can't even believe he's 10.

Which makes Corrin look like an extra bad parent for inviting him along. At least most of the other kids are 'technically adults' and *generally* have more mature supports to back this up.

Caeldori is pretty great, I like most of her supports. I've already mentioned how much I like Dwyer, too.

Don't TRY to be iconic. Just. . .be, and let the rest take care of itself. Otherwise, you'll become a negative icon, and I don't think you want that.

As for unpopular units I like. . .I'm on the Hisame bandwagon, even if I think he looks awful with green hair. I'm also fond of Ignatius, though that's more superficial (sue me). I don't mind Nyx, so even if she's not my absolute favorite any more, I think that counts as unpopular!

I love Tsubaki, he was my MVP in my first Birthright run. No, seriously. I turned him into a Swordmaster to get Astra, and then kept him as a Kinshi Knight. He was awesome. The preview says he can't kill the enemy, but then he Astras and crits 3 times and it's dead (and then he says "It's all me" lol). I also really like his personal skill, it goes well with Camaraderie.

I also like how in Japanese, after he kisses you, he says "Gochisousama", which is what you'd say after a delicious meal XD he's such a dork

I wonder if people don't like him as much because they see him as male Cordelia. Weird thing is that I don't really like Cordelia, but I like Tsubaki. Maybe my experience with him as an awesome unit made me biased or something.

-------------

One of my fave characters is Setsuna (if I play male MU she's one of my top waifu choices), and I'm a bit sad she's so unpopular. I guess I sort of understand why, since her growths are apparently not that good. Though she was my other MVP in my first Birthright playthrough (she married Tsubaki, and they were my power duo), I never had problems with her not being able to kill things either (I also turned her into Swordmaster through A+ with Hana to get Astra, so maybe that's why?)

I guess maybe her supports could be a bit repetitive? But she has some pretty good ones with Arthur, Kaden and Azama (of all people!) I also love her level-up and crit lines and how she sounds so out of it all the time.

-------------

I think I'm one of the few people who like male Kana... I don't know anything about female Kana so I can't really compare. I find the whole spacetime chamber silly, and it being kind of wrong to enlist children in the army. But if I ignore the circumstances of why Kana's fighting with you and just look at Kana by himself, I find him rather adorable and want to squish him (and I don't even like kids irl!). I didn't like him at first, but he really grew on me. I can't really explain why, maybe 'cause his smiling face makes my heart melt? His support with Shiro is really cute (I like their support as non-siblings much better than as siblings 'cause generic sibling support is generic, so I pretend their non-sibling support is the canon one even when they're siblings)

I feel really bad he gets rejected so much in localization. Not so much in the ones where they're mutually friends (like with Midori), but the ones where he expresses romantic interest in the girl and is just shot down =(

Also as a unit, Kana can be whatever you want him to be. I made mine into a cute little killing machine with Lethality, Hoshidan Unity, Quixotic, Skill Taker, and Vantage, and he goes around killing things with Umbrellas.

Edited by MapleRose

As units, or as characters? As units, I definitely agree. Neither actually finds their way into my final line-up.

As units. As characters, they're fine. I actually like Xander's hypocrisy, since it shows that he is just a human.

And Leo is just a badass with a kind side toward his siblings. What's not to love?

That's why I am saddened by the fact that they are not that great as units.

Meanwhile here I am, recounting all the chapters where I basically told xander to just take care of large chunks of enemies for me

17-solo'd like, half the map
19-solo'd the entire map (Wyvern)

20-helped flierskip this chapter

21-invincibly tanky flier xander vs dragon veins but also the boss

23-hello counter archers, meet siegfried (back to Paladin, basically solo'd this map too)

25-Lured some swordmasters to facilitate the clear of Saizo's side

26-Tanked Generals. Yes, the beastslayer ones. No, he didn't give a fuck. Also was tank enough to just dash into the heroes room and remove the Hexrod Maid before hexrod maid can do damage.

If you like Xander as a character I suggest throwing him a speedwings and a speed pairup. It does wonders for his performance.

Also Rinkah, I like her and I don't care if she have bad growths, I decided to play birthright again, maybe in Lunatic, and I'm gonna use her. I find her interesting even before the game was released, and now, I think that chapter of the Revelation Anthology make me like her even more xD

Look if she gets stat screwed I will personally supply you with a super Rinkah skillset

Edited by Thor Odinson

I absolutely adore Mitama, which I didn't expect to do. She is a funny character but some of the poetry she writes is beautiful. Plus she just destroys people on the battlefield, being even better priestess than Sakura in my Birthright run-through. She's quirky, like her father but not as much of a d*ck as him, and also has a perfectly executed personality.

Rinkah: I put her more since the results in another thread baffled me but in all honesty. A chick with visible abs, pleasant dark skin and white hair contrast is always welcome in this cast almost completely made out of straw looking white females who don't seem to know the meaning of pants. Heck, Rinkah has a design I'd consider godly in this game considering the look itself could be a type of fan service but it never feels that way and I could definitely see her promoted class of Oni Chieftain to be actual battle wear.

Yeah! I love Rinkah; she's the only one in the red part of the graph that I feel strongly about.

I love the design and her attitude, but I will say that her stats and hit rate are always good for me (I always buy aptitude and certain blow first thing....probably shouldn't admit that, but she's the only unit I do that for).

As I've said before, I'm bummed that Shura's and Izana's characters weren't built on a lot more, but it doesn't stop them from being some of my favorites. It isn't their fault the writers didn't want to elaborate..

I've also said that I think Setsuna is great, her obliviousness and personality makes me use her in every play through I can.

I also recently found out that I like Azama's character a lot. He cracks me up. But then, I'm alright with arrogant people in the real world, too. They can be amusing.

Oh, and Dwyer, too!! "Who will feed the hairballs to the dustbunnies?" Priceless!!!!

Edit: I didn't see male Kana there, either... (my inner Setsuna is showing). I didn't like him at first, but he grew on me massively, he's a good unit altogether...plus, the way his voice squeaks when you leave the store is absolutely adorable. (I think it's leaving, anyways...)

Edited by AutumnShantel

I feel like Setsuna is a popular unit, but she'd be on my list if we had a topic about 'your least favourite popular characters'.

As units. As characters, they're fine. I actually like Xander's hypocrisy, since it shows that he is just a human.

And Leo is just a badass with a kind side toward his siblings. What's not to love?

That's why I am saddened by the fact that they are not that great as units.

Aah, yes, me too!

And I did wonder, I thought I might've met the first person who dislikes Leo.

If you like Xander as a character I suggest throwing him a speedwings and a speed pairup. It does wonders for his performance.

The problem I've mainly encountered with Xander is actually that he's been somewhat fragile in my game. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I've never had much use out of either Camilla or Leo, too. I last beat Conquest with almost entirely a non-royal cast.

Probably none. I had a penchant for a very generic taste

I mean look at the line up i used:

Xander

Leo

Camilla

Azura

Arthur

Velouria

Odin

Silas

Kaze

Gunter

Yeah its about as generic as you can get

Oh yeah theres Felicia. I LOVE turning Felicia into a one man army, and thankfully she had a very straightforward path for this purpose unlike some other characters

Edited by JSND

Huh... unpopular units.

I actually do like male Kana. I've honestly never had female Kana but I assumed they were both exactly the same minus gender.
It actually baffles me how much more female Kana is liked because of that but I don't care enough to know why since bias is evident.

I also never cared if they had little personality (esp. compared to Morgan) since they had little plot relevance to begin with and their dialog is pleasant enough.

Hmm...

Yeah, that's kinda it. Everyone else from the poll that seems to be popularly disliked, I don't have strong feelings towards.

Oh, and I don't dislike characters for being awful units ingame (although I do get a little sad).

Edited by Takeru

The problem I've mainly encountered with Xander is actually that he's been somewhat fragile in my game. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I've never had much use out of either Camilla or Leo, too. I last beat Conquest with almost entirely a non-royal cast.

That's a very odd problem for Xander to have, considering he's considered one of the tankiest units in Fates period, between his high defense and Siegfried's passive +4 def bonus, and even on parts of Lunatic if you stack his defense too high he can have the problem of "nobody wants to attack me because I'm too tank". Are you making him fight a lot of mages?

I did Conquest straight on Lunatic and while people have done nonroyals so I'm sure it's possible, I would find myself suffering pretty hard if I didn't use Camilla or Xander there.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Huh... unpopular units.

I actually do like male Kana. I've honestly never had female Kana but I assumed they were both exactly the same minus gender.

It actually baffles me how much more female Kana is liked because of that but I don't care enough to know why since bias is evident.

I also never cared if they had little personality (esp. compared to Morgan) since they had little plot relevance to begin with and their dialog is pleasant enough.

I haven't read any of female Kana's supports, but since she supports with different people than male Kana, I assume they're actually different characters (more different than male and female Corrin at least)

That's a very odd problem for Xander to have, considering he's considered one of the tankiest units in Fates period, between his high defense and Siegfried's passive +4 def bonus, and even on parts of Lunatic if you stack his defense too high he can have the problem of "nobody wants to attack me because I'm too tank". Are you making him fight a lot of mages?

I'll probably have to open up my last Conquest save to take a look; I'm guessing my issues were probably:

- he was a couple of levels lower than the rest of my party (might've made more of a difference than I thought?)

- he wasn't killing the enemies quickly enough before they had a chance to get a few blows in (for example, Sniper Mozu was one of my most effective team members, partly because she was killing things before they had the opportunity to get close, and partly because I usually had tankier characters shielding her).

I played on hard, not lunatic.

There may also just be the issue that I suck. :P

Well, apart from that they do have quite different supports (unlike Lord/Lady Corrin), most of the complaints I hear about boy Kana revolve around his voice.

I'll probably have to open up my last Conquest save to take a look; I'm guessing my issues were probably:

- he was a couple of levels lower than the rest of my party (might've made more of a difference than I thought?)

- he wasn't killing the enemies quickly enough before they had a chance to get a few blows in (for example, Sniper Mozu was one of my most effective team members, partly because she was killing things before they had the opportunity to get close, and partly because I usually had tankier characters shielding her).

I played on hard, not lunatic.

There may also just be the issue that I suck. :P

The level difference shouldn't matter unless you started using Xander on Chapter 25 or something. He's got base 38 HP and 23 Def, 27 Def when Siegfried's factored in. I can see Benny, Beastrune!Keaton, and maybe a well-trained Camilla hitting those numbers (Iggy too, if you bothered to recruit him).

Assuming Silas went Paladin, the only way he's hitting Xander's base tank stats is if he misses his HP growth on four levels, and Defense on seven. Coming from a statistical standpoint, that is insane.

Hell, I started using Xander on Chapter 17, and he was able to singlehandedly hold choke points. If he's STILL not tanky enough, have Beruka sit behind him.

As long as he's not running headlong into kitsune/mages, he'll live.

Edited by eclipse

I'm the first Hisame fan here (most likely; when people first pirated the game and hacked together the child portraits, I liked his the best). He really gives me Hubert Oswell/Jin Kisiragi vibes... kinda reminds me of myself, in a couple ways.

People's complaints about his localization are ridiculously overblown (as is generally the case with a lot of localization complaints); outside of a few My Room lines, they're virtually nonexistent.

Kaze's unpopular around here, but I like him the best of the three ninja due to me always rolling him as a Dread Fighter. One rounding all but the bulkiest of targets + mage tanking for eternity (I can count on one hand the amount of magical attacks that have actually damaged him) FTW.

I'm weird with Kana. I'd prefer he doesn't exist and I like Morgan more but I don't really hate him. I think his spikey shounen hair is cute. In general I think he's cute, and I guess that's the problem. That's all he kinda is... cute.

Though I don't mind when his childishness is used in decent supports (Nina, Shiro)

Actually speaking of Nina, I really ended up liking her. I guess localization dumbed down her yaoiness to a point and made it just so she had an overactive imagination, which I can sympathize with. Also, she has a really cute design.

- he wasn't killing the enemies quickly enough before they had a chance to get a few blows in

This is what the speed pairup + speedwings will fix. Charlotte is especially good because she gives a ton of str and spd both from Berserker and her personals. Selena and Kaze are also solid choices.

I'm the first Hisame fan here (most likely; when people first pirated the game and hacked together the child portraits, I liked his the best). He really gives me Hubert Oswell/Jin Kisiragi vibes... kinda reminds me of myself, in a couple ways.

People's complaints about his localization are ridiculously overblown (as is generally the case with a lot of localization complaints); outside of a few My Room lines, they're virtually nonexistent.

Kaze's unpopular around here, but I like him the best of the three ninja due to me always rolling him as a Dread Fighter. One rounding all but the bulkiest of targets + mage tanking for eternity (I can count on one hand the amount of magical attacks that have actually damaged him) FTW.

The problem with using DF as an argument is DF is fucking broken

Although i agree Kaze is ridiculously good. I think i'd like Saizo and Kagero better if they appeared in Conquest lmao, since Saizo had the best growth in the game, and Kagero had insane STR growth

This is what the speed pairup + speedwings will fix. Charlotte is especially good because she gives a ton of str and spd both from Berserker and her personals. Selena and Kaze are also solid choices.

I shall definitely try that next time!

I can see Benny, Beastrune!Keaton, and maybe a well-trained Camilla hitting those numbers (Iggy too, if you bothered to recruit him).

Benny, Ignatius and Keaton were definitely in my line-up for the last 10 chapters or so. I know Corrin, Nohr Noble Kana, Strategist Forrest, Velouria, Sniper Mozu and Witch Nyx were also in there, although Nyx lost her usefulness in the last few levels.

I definitely empathize with Hisame quite a bit. I'm especially fond of his supports with Shigure and Mitama as a result.

I like Peri. I understand that her gimmick is completely messed up but she's such a wtf character that it makes me laugh. Seriously, anyone who can cheer 'yay violence' is peaking my interest.

Kaze's unpopular around here...

And yet, supposedly Saizo is more unpopular according to the "popularity poll". This is a broad statement. And is this as a unit or character?

I can't speak for everyone but I don't know how any of the ninjas can be fervently disliked lmao. Maybe Saizo because he has the most fiery personality out of them all, but Kagero and Kaze are neutral as fuck lol. They're just chillin.

If they count as "unpopular characters", then I will bring out my fists and fight for my ninja children and red ninja husband to the end.

I do think some people just write off Saizo because he comes off edgy at first sight but please read this man's supports he's just great

He's my favorite of the retainers, certainly. Also my favorite unit out of the retainers. He's so versatile he can do anything. I like him as Dark Flier so much I actually haven't even used him as a ninja haha

I do think some people just write off Saizo because he comes off edgy at first sight but please read this man's supports he's just great

He's my favorite of the retainers, certainly. Also my favorite unit out of the retainers. He's so versatile he can do anything. I like him as Dark Flier so much I actually haven't even used him as a ninja haha

Ah, I guess I did this too at first. :/ I was actually upset because I thought he was a "tsundere" trope, but then I read more supports and was like...wow, I love this man. He's also my favorite retainer, I love his supports with Ryoma. I have to say, his introduction in BR was great too. His sarcastic response to Kaze just screamed "brothers here!"

I agree about him as a unit too. My Saizo is a Dark Knight. ;)

DKsaizo_zps4zhjsdba.jpg

20160601_164002_zpsw9v9dus5.jpg

Isn't he beautiful? Courtesy of my MU's talent. :) He kills everything he touches too. lol.

Also, Kana looks just like him with the red hair and blue scarf lol. It's adorable. I see you have the same Kana in your castle. I'm at Lobster Heaven now. ;)