Your Favorite Unpopular Units

Ah, I guess I did this too at first. :/ I was actually upset because I thought he was a "tsundere" trope, but then I read more supports and was like...wow, I love this man. He's also my favorite retainer, I love his supports with Ryoma. I have to say, his introduction in BR was great too. His sarcastic response to Kaze just screamed "brothers here!"

I agree about him as a unit too. My Saizo is a Dark Knight. ;)

DKsaizo_zps4zhjsdba.jpg

20160601_164002_zpsw9v9dus5.jpg

Isn't he beautiful? Courtesy of my MU's talent. :) He kills everything he touches too. lol.

Also, Kana looks just like him with the red hair and blue scarf lol. It's adorable. I see you have the same Kana in your castle. I'm at Lobster Heaven now. ;)

Man, he looks so cool as a dark knight. Best hybrid.

I have Tsubaki's Kana actually, but I've been meaning to S rank him sometimes--if I can bring myself to peel him away from like, all the other people I ship him with, haha. His supports are so good.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I guess I did this too at first. :/ I was actually upset because I thought he was a "tsundere" trope, but then I read more supports and was like...wow, I love this man. He's also my favorite retainer, I love his supports with Ryoma. I have to say, his introduction in BR was great too. His sarcastic response to Kaze just screamed "brothers here!"

I agree about him as a unit too. My Saizo is a Dark Knight. ;)

DKsaizo_zps4zhjsdba.jpg

20160601_164002_zpsw9v9dus5.jpg

Isn't he beautiful? Courtesy of my MU's talent. :) He kills everything he touches too. lol.

Also, Kana looks just like him with the red hair and blue scarf lol. It's adorable. I see you have the same Kana in your castle. I'm at Lobster Heaven now. ;)

oh my god saizo looks hilarious as a dark knight

i know in awakening there was that thing where every class had its own model so characters would awkwardly gain clothes or body parts from others

but that outfit combined with his pose there makes it look like saizo snuck into leo's closet at night, took his outfit, and proudly put it on

i mean all jokes aside he looks cool but when i saw him that was what i immediately thought

Man, he looks so cool as a dark knight. Best hybrid.

I have Tsubaki's Kana actually, but I've been meaning to S rank him sometimes--if I can bring myself to peel him away from like, all the other people I ship him with, haha. His supports are so good.

Right? If only he was a bit speedier though oops.

And holy crap they look the same. I'm about to screenshot them both and color-pick the hair in Photoshop to see the difference. lol.

oh my god saizo looks hilarious as a dark knight

i know in awakening there was that thing where every class had its own model so characters would awkwardly gain clothes or body parts from others

but that outfit combined with his pose there makes it look like saizo snuck into leo's closet at night, took his outfit, and proudly put it on

i mean all jokes aside he looks cool but when i saw him that was what i immediately thought

ME TOO LMAO. I was like "I'm pretty sure he's bulkier than this but whatever". Ugh now I wish I would've kept my old file save before I married to see how the other Hoshidans look as Dark Knights. lol. Though I think Saizo rocks the colors and stuff pretty well.

I also have tended to pair Corrin up by process of elimination. Like I'd never pair Corrin up with a few of my favourites (Takumi, Laslow, Kaze, Azura) because of how much I prefer those characters with others.

Not sure who's necessarily considered "unpopular", but let's-a-go:

Rinkah. Rinkah, Rinkah, a thousand times Rinkah. Maybe I was just fortunate with her, but she turned into a sheer defensive cliff face. Her other stats tended to range from decent to pretty good, but good Ashera that defense. With help from her partner Saizo (and Jakob's Gentilhomme skill), she was responsible for me killing everybody in the Aquatheatre Chapter, holding off the legions of cavaliers at a convenient choke point. I like that she's a bit wary of Corrin in their supports, too, but is able to warm up (got them to A-support, hello Blacksmith-F-Corrin). The fire effects on her attacks are pretty cool, too. And when I promoted her to Chieftain, she became a mixed-attacking physical wall with sweet sweet Death Blow. Admittedly, maybe she wouldn't have been as viable on Hard mode. Who am I kidding it's Birthright everyone's viable.

Azama is pretty cool, too. Yes, he's a jerk. But he has some really good supports with Orochi and with his daughter (from what I've heard, I've missed out on some his most ignoble moments). I like that he's such an unconventional Monk - both in personality, and in stats (good Str and Def).

Nyx. I actually raised her on Revelation, with minimal grinding. Some of her supports felt like retreading the whole "I'm cursed" gimmick, but I found her C-support with Keaton to be fantastic. I liked her voice and design, too. Also, pairing with Hayato produces a black-haired Rhajat who can reclass to sorceror... so, basically Tharja.

I'm not sure if Fuga is popular or not, but I actually made him mai hasubando in Revelation. Interestingly, he's the opposite of characters I tend to like, as he has high bases and a high join level, but grows very slowly. I'm a fan of his design overall, though - tanned muscular warrior with a shaved head and rockin' necklace. His voice is pretty exotic, his attacks have a wind effect, and he starts with weapon triangle mastery.

I really don't like M!Kanna, it seems like they just tried to be safe by making him like M!Morgan. While I didn't care either way for Morgan, he at least had more personality than just being obsessed with his mother. Perhaps if M!Kanna's personality belonged to only him and not already Morgan, I wouldn't be bothered as much.

From looking at Hunter Nightblood's poll, it seems that Peri is unpopular even though I haven't really heard much about her either way. Not going to argue that she's a great character, but I do like it when FE games throw one or two insane characters at you. I normally don't like many dubbed voices (though Azura's singing in this game is a huge exception), but I actually liked how retarded Peri sounds, it sounds about right

I find Azama hilarious. A jackass for sure, but I found it amusing rather than irritating. Someone has to be an ass in these games to add variety, and he does it pretty well for me.

Hayato I mostly just don't like kids by default. I deal with enough annoying brats as is. Sakura and Elise are more exceptions than the norm.

Pretty much. Don't mind either of the princesses, but other than that I find the "Im yung but I can fight 2 guis !!!!1!11!!!!" characters annoying.

Corrin's naivete made him a better, actually flawed character.

Despite having my problems with Corrin (though not hatred or anything), it's nice to see that he/she has flaws. If they didn't, it would be annoying to have that as a main character.

The difference is Robin is really just a sue when it comes to being a tactician, which I find acceptable because that's that the player is: the tactician.

Also agree here: I don't like avatar characters being the sole main character: those positions were left for Chrom and Lucina. While Robin does bore me to hell, I didn't care simply because Robin felt like a blank slate intended for the player to project themselves onto. Or something. Because Robin isn't the mc like Corrin is, personality isn't as important to me.

I also have tended to pair Corrin up by process of elimination. Like I'd never pair Corrin up with a few of my favourites (Takumi, Laslow, Kaze, Azura) because of how much I prefer those characters with others.

I actually really rather like Tsubaki, but on that file I paired Sakura with Leo which is also my favorite pair for Tsubaki, so conveniently freeing his pretty ponytail ass up. Saizo in comparison has at least 3 characters lined up for him.

Ryoma's kind of a special case because I hate pairing Corn as a standalone character with him, but 2/3 of my favorite ships for him actually can't S rank him, so I just make Corn pretend to be Xander or Scarlet whenever I need him to grab some skills. Mostly Scarlet. I'm salty.

Aw, you guys are so kind to your faves. If I love them, they're mine. :)))

No but if the couples actually had some interaction after the marriage, then maybe I would care more.

- Nyx

I gave her the Excaliber tome at the end of my Conquest play-through and she destroyed EVERYTHING. I also really like her character design and I S-supported her on a whim. No regrets.

I don't actually have a good idea of the community's opinions on various characters, but I think Nyx is pretty great too, and experienced similar awesomeness with her during my playthrough. I heard she has major problems in Revelations though (haven't played) and maybe that's why people don't like her? Mounted magic units are great in this game thanks to the major nerfs Hand Axes and Javelins got, so yeah I definitely agree with you here.

I definitely love me some Rinkah. I can understand why some people opt not to use her, but good god she fills the niche of both blacksmith and oni savage so well if you bolster her with aptitude. I love her ruff and tumble attitude. And that crit animation, sweet jesus. I pair her up with Kaze and they make for one hell of a duo. Rinkah will always have a spot on my team.

Rinkah. Rinkah, Rinkah, a thousand times Rinkah. Maybe I was just fortunate with her, but she turned into a sheer defensive cliff face. Her other stats tended to range from decent to pretty good, but good Ashera that defense. With help from her partner Saizo (and Jakob's Gentilhomme skill), she was responsible for me killing everybody in the Aquatheatre Chapter, holding off the legions of cavaliers at a convenient choke point. I like that she's a bit wary of Corrin in their supports, too, but is able to warm up (got them to A-support, hello Blacksmith-F-Corrin). The fire effects on her attacks are pretty cool, too. And when I promoted her to Chieftain, she became a mixed-attacking physical wall with sweet sweet Death Blow. Admittedly, maybe she wouldn't have been as viable on Hard mode. Who am I kidding it's Birthright everyone's viable.

She's viable on Lunatic. On both Birthright and Rev. Rev takes a bit more effort to get her started, since 0 damage hell is a thing, but with that in mind, and packing some tonics for her in chapter 9 and knowing how to take advantage of fiery blood, it's still not hard to get her rolling especially considering some of the other units in Revelation that are, well, far more difficult to work with. I have gotten her to ORKO entire maps even in earlygame Birthright Lunatic, so you don't even need a ton of resources there. The robe, mostly.

I personally enjoy turning her into a tanky nukezerker via Charlotte A+ on Revelation. 100% crit? With THAT defense and a massive increase in HP? h e l l a

Edited by Thor Odinson

I actually really rather like Tsubaki, but on that file I paired Sakura with Leo which is also my favorite pair for Tsubaki, so conveniently freeing his pretty ponytail ass up. Saizo in comparison has at least 3 characters lined up for him.

Ryoma's kind of a special case because I hate pairing Corn as a standalone character with him, but 2/3 of my favorite ships for him actually can't S rank him, so I just make Corn pretend to be Xander or Scarlet whenever I need him to grab some skills. Mostly Scarlet. I'm salty.

Haha!

And to be clear, my preferred matches for Corrin are still favourite characters of mine, they're just characters I don't have other preferred matches for. Last Birthright run, for example, I did Corrin/Hinata - I *like* Hinata with Hinoka or Felicia, but not to the extent that I can't pair him with others.

Aw, you guys are so kind to your faves. If I love them, they're mine. :)))

No but if the couples actually had some interaction after the marriage, then maybe I would care more.

It would be really fun to see more post-marriage interaction.

Haha!

And to be clear, my preferred matches for Corrin are still favourite characters of mine, they're just characters I don't have other preferred matches for. Last Birthright run, for example, I did Corrin/Hinata - I *like* Hinata with Hinoka or Felicia, but not to the extent that I can't pair him with others.

At this point I treat Corn as a free class than anything, since I'm not a fan of them as a character but I do appreciate what they can do for my favs in terms of gameplay. I suppose I /could/ rename my Corn Kagero for Saizo, though I think I have all the skills I ever wanted on him--his own native skillset is already so good for a galeforce dark flier set.

Like my first run I actually married Rinkah because I didn't want to wait until Revelation to play with Rinkahzerker (it was a great decision). Outside of my castle file (the one with the lobsters) I just keep on naming Corn people I ship with the character I actually pair them with, like I named both my Birthright and Conquest Corn Ryoma when I paired them with Rinkah and Xander respectively. It makes me feel better. It was definitely satisfying seeing "Ryoma and Xander reached S Support" or "Ryoma and Scarlet reached S support", though.

the downside to marrying rinkah is that considering my other 2 favorite ships for ryoma can't S rank him I have a lot of trouble pairing ryoma if I borrow her to give her some fun alternative classes to play with, like Wyvern Lord

Since I brought him up, I will now give my two cents on Dwyer.

First, he's a rebel in the face of semi-abusive parenting. His father is frequently degrading towards him and Dwyer stands up for himself in his own unique way, which I find very admirable.

Second, he's HILARIOUS. "Slappyface is neither slappy nor face" gets me every time. His sarcastic remarks and apathetic responses to everything come together in the most bizarre way to help him deliver perfectly-timed phrases in his supports that always make me giggle.

Third, he has far more to him than just his laziness. Deep down, like his father, he is a very selfless and kind person. Far more so than Jakob, to be honest. This is shown in his supports with Mitama and Velouria (and Soleil, to a lesser extent), which allow us to see a side of Dwyer we wouldn't normally think possible.

Finally, I can relate to him. In truth, I am almost exactly like him in real-life, personality-wise. To most people I am not familiar with I have a tendency to be sarcastic and snarky, which turns into aggravation if they bother me, as shown in his supports with Kana. Though when I am close to someone I come out of my shell a lot more and tend to be more cooperative and tolerating. Another way in which I am like him is that I am not ashamed to say that I am also very lazy. I never work any more than necessary to complete most physically-oriented tasks, and I am a huge slacker when it comes to responsibility. (I should be studying for my Chemistry final, but instead I'm typing this. Go figure.)

Well, there you go. That's why I like Dwyer. Your thoughts, please?

(Note: My Hana vs. Hinata poll will be closing soon, so please vote as soon as you can if you haven't already. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64098 )

Edited by KoolioKenneth

LOL. I must be the only one willing to marry the characters that I like as feel as if I am doing them a disservice in not romancing them.

Except Ryoma. I regret this with every fiber of my being.

I'm sorry I married you. We should not have crossed that line. I'm sorry I gave our eldest son ugly ass cyan-colored hair. I'm sorry that our marriage was terrible enough to where you resorted to calling me a fool in private. At least our youngest son looked totes adorbs with your chestnut hair and your support with him was equally as adorbs.

#NeverMarryTheSibsAgain

lol kek im lying im currently married to leo and xander in two different files

That's a great assessment of Dwyer and echoes how I feel about him.

And since it's already been mentioned Leo is the only option for Corrin in my non-Birthright games now. Although I DID first pair them up by process of elimination (I honestly am not fond of Leo's other S-supports). Once I did the Corrin/Leo S-support (then promptly watched it another twenty times) I'm like... There is no one else for Leo.

Anyway... Caeldori doesn't seem overly popular? I know the reincarnated children aren't terribly well received, but I think she has some great supports, and her support with Lady Corrin is amusing.

A lot of my unpopular opinions are really... inexplicable.

For example, while he's not my absolute favorite, I like Silas and plan on S-ranking him on my main file even though I actually dislike about half of his supports just like everyone else on this forum. I blame pre-release bias that just won't leave. On the other hand, I just really, really, can't stand Hana despite trying to like her so many times and I don't know why. I love Yukimura, Hinata, Dwyer, Xander, and Hayato and I really don't care about people like Hinoka, Setsuna, Selkie, Velouria and Asugi, yet the pattern always is that I can't ever give a solid good reason why.

I think the only characters I can legitimately explain why I love/hate them are Subaki and Caeldori. I like Subaki because while his gimmick can be really annoying sometimes, in his good supports, he shows the dangers of extreme perfectionism and how it can tear someone apart mentally; something I experience a lot in my daily life, so it's nice to see it perfectionism portrayed how toxic it really is at times. While I wish they delved into this part of him more, the fact that they at least did a little makes me happy and enjoy his character. Caeldori is the exact opposite to me. She's takes the annoying portrayal of perfectionism and inflates it to the extreme, showing none of the flaws or severe consequences of that mindset. And any time that could be developed, it's tossed aside. If it weren't for the fact that her support with Shiro is wonderful and she doesn't go on a tangent about her secret crush every five seconds, she might be one of my least favorite characters in the series.

I did Caeldori's C-A support with Shiro and, honestly, I can't see what is great about it. It is relatively normal, quite standard, in my opinion. Is it the S-rank that is good? Is it the JP version of it? I honestly liked M!Kana's support with Caeldori more than I did hers with Shiro.

Then again, it is just my opinion and I could be missing something.

I did Caeldori's C-A support with Shiro and, honestly, I can't see what is great about it. It is relatively normal, quite standard, in my opinion. Is it the S-rank that is good? Is it the JP version of it? I honestly liked M!Kana's support with Caeldori more than I did hers with Shiro.

Then again, it is just my opinion and I could be missing something.

It's precisely because it's normal. There's a lot of supports that are just

-gimmick A

-gimmick B

-repeat gimmick A

and it gets grating. ShiroCael feels like two actual people interacting in a natural manner and the direction of the conversation flows well. The chemistry ain't bad either.

I think the normality of it all is why I like it, honestly.

Edit: Too late, Thor already explained it better than I could have. :)

Edited by Res

I like Shura a lot. Not sure why. I probably have a type, since I married Priam in Awakening. Not the most useful unit outside of Conquest (though Boots are a pretty big deal), but the only guy I'll marry in Birthright. His interactions with Kana are great if you get DLC/do their supports. Yeah, I know that the supports are essentially the same for every parent of Kana, but each character adds a different touch to the supports. I like his touch a lot.

I also don't really have a problem with Corrin. I think a lot of the idealization comes from the fact that their siblings pamper them, which extends to the retainers of the siblings. Corrin was raised alone in a tower, so of course s/he is going to be naive, sometimes foolish, and understandably "whiny." I just think people don't like Corrin because s/he isn't a total bad ass or something.

I like almost every 1st gen in Conquest (though most of the characters in Birthright don't appeal to me).

Yukimura is underrated, as are Hinata, Charlotte, Peri (understandably), Benny, and Mitama.

Alternatively: My least favorite popular character is Selena. Pretty much insufferable.

I like Shura a lot. Not sure why. I probably have a type, since I married Priam in Awakening. Not the most useful unit outside of Conquest (though Boots are a pretty big deal), but the only guy I'll marry in Birthright. His interactions with Kana are great if you get DLC/do their supports. Yeah, I know that the supports are essentially the same for every parent of Kana, but each character adds a different touch to the supports. I like his touch a lot.

I married Shura as well and I don't regret it. We are now a family of Adventurers.

I have to say, Izana's support with Kana has to be my favorite of all the dads. The fact that he calls him Squishbubble, Kana-bun and Kana Kabana is the cutest thing I've read ever.