Your Favorite Unpopular Units

Xander: Disappointing. Didn't live up to the hype. At all.

Leo: Same as Xander.

As units, or as characters? As units, I definitely agree. Neither actually finds their way into my final line-up.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah he's right though, his anger towards Azura in that scene is uncalled for.

Well, unless you consider what happens in Conquest, but hey, he's not a seer.

Yeah, I was mostly kidding.

It's just that I've seen people say that Takumi was just lashing at Azura because she was defending Corrin (along with some spoiler stuff going on). They then go on to say that Takumi is generally a kind, if not suspicious individual and that Azura getting snapped at was essentially Corrin's (and her own) fault. I was waiting for someone to say that, that's all.

I personally laughed a little when Takumi was blasting Corrin and Azura.

I know why people like Takumi and I know why people dislike him. I'm just sitting here on the fence, looking between the two sides with a blissful smile on my face.

Xander is a coward and that speech is filled to the brim with hypocrisy. First of all, Xander's behavior is all over the place in the main story, and as such you never know what the writers will want to make him say next; in chapter 6, he wants Corrin to join Conquest to put an end to the war quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible, only to then scold Zola for wanting to do the same thing but with even less bloodshed, all so that he could have his supposed honor intact. Xander is a despicable character that tells himself what he needs to hear in order to sleep at night; he's the weakest and most cowardly character in any Fire Emblem game I've played, and he even goes so far as to kill himself rather than to take responsibility for his own actions.

Preach brother!

Xander is so bad in the story that I can't even bring myself to like him for the supports like I can with Azura.

I like Hana as well. I think I just tend to gravitate towards characters who are straightforward in a way that is fairly, how should I word it, good natured? Like while sometimes the bluntness can cause offense it's not really the same kind of character who's there to be an asshole for the sake of being an asshole? More like just, very, well, I think the word in chinese translates to simple but it has the wrong connotations. IDK. Something about Hana makes me like her and I know exactly what it is and English is failing me.

I feel kinda bad not liking percy because he hasn't done anything wrong technically but I just really don't like kids and his face looks like a fucking 5 year old and that grates on me already

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like Hana, I really just don't know why

Im not even sure i get why people dislike her. I loved her supports with Corn. She acts rather human and it shows shes pretty impressionable. Im not fond of her as a unit because shes made of paper.

I also think a lot of people, its more rewarding to play as FeCorn. You get Jakob as a "starter" and hes better as a unit because of his reclass options and is more sturdy. Plus, if you marry first gen, you get to have two child characters. This is why i voted FeCorn.

Hayato doesnt really bother me as much as Ricken did. Hayato has some cute supports, im just not a big fan of him as a unit.

Yukimura doesnt offend me in the least. I kinda like him, i just dont use him on my BR runs.

Asugi, yeah i detest him. Hes really shameless as an "expy" and theres nothing to his character other than sweets.

Nyx's problem is her voice clips and how damn rude she is to people with it. I think had she been voiced by someone else, it would have been better. But that doesnt help her stats. D:

Hisame, he is really inoffensive so im not sure why people hate/dislike him. He seems like a decent, if a bit bland kid. Hes got a cute haircut.

I like Rhajat.

I have one of the most hated characters as one of my favorites. Not many people love Peri. I can see why though, but i love the weirdos.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

OMG all I did was create a forum late last night so that I could procrastinate studying for my finals, and now look at how far it has come over the course of one day! *cries a single manly tear* I am so proud. Thank you all so much for your input. I'll be reviewing some of the responses and selecting some to respond to individually, so be on the lookout for that.

Because of the success of this thread, I have two announcements:

1. I am going to rename this thread to "Your Favorite Unpopular Units" to make this thread a place where people can share their favorite units who aren't as well-liked by everyone else and receive the opinions of other users on Serenes Forest. Consider this thread a safe, welcoming place where you can read the opinions that other people may have of your favorite characters and see them receive some much-needed recognition in the eyes of your peers.

2. To accommodate for all of my fellow Hinata lovers in the thread (yes I am a huge Hinata fan) as well as the people who like Hana, I am going to eventually create a new thread called "Hana vs. Hinata- Choose Your Side!" where people can vote on which Hoshidan samurai they prefer and debate which is better (or they could just pick the third path and vote for Ryoma).

Again, thank you so much for your replies. I only joined Serenes Forest recently, and I've been struggling to gain a foothold in the community as an iconic member and die-hard lover of FE. So please, enjoy my forums to your hearts content.

EDIT: HELP! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RENAME THE THREAD!

Edited by KoolioKenneth

I like Hana as well. I think I just tend to gravitate towards characters who are straightforward in a way that is fairly, how should I word it, good natured?

It may be become I focus on her supports with Corrin over the others but I don't find Hana either fair or good natured in her rudeness.

I was one who said they disliked Hana, and I didn't even do her support with Corrin until later (and I don't think it's a terrible support).

I dislike her for three reasons:

- I'm not really fond of the expressions in her character portraits (a silly reason, I know). Plus she's never turned out to be useful to me as a unit.

- her support with Subaki, which was one of the first I did do. I like Subaki and probably reacted too strongly to her teasing him.

- quite a few of her supports are centered around her training/dedication to Sakura - I suppose I don't find these too interesting. Again, personal taste - and I like Hisame, so I clearly have odd taste given many find him to be boring.

That being said, she's pretty great in how she stands up for herself, and I love that she takes no nonsense from Azama.

Good-natured may not be the best word to use it but it was pretty evident that I was struggling with words there since English isn't really my first language and I come up short a lot on character descriptions like these. But I think Corn support aside she's more just, direct? Didn't really even find her that rude and she does apologize for it a lot. It's a lot different from the brand of dickery that Azama or Jakob have---Again, English is coming up short, I'd be a lot happier doing this in Chinese but this is an English forum.

2. To accommodate for all of my fellow Hinata lovers in the thread (yes I am a huge Hinata fan) as well as the people who like Hana, I am going to eventually create a new thread called "Hana vs. Hinata- Choose Your Side!" where people can vote on which Hoshidan samurai they prefer and debate which is better (or they could just pick the third path and vote for Ryoma).

Man I like all 3 of them but their fates (lol) are sealed when you mentioned Ryoma because I'm trash

Edited by Thor Odinson

People are "chewing him out" because he's spouting gibberish, and Yukimura's hostility is meant to come across as bad. Everyone who goes up against Corrin is in the wrong. Also, that's not calling him out for him being naïve or whatever, that's people reacting logically to nonsense.

When was Yukimura's hostility being portrayed in a bad way? No one on his side calls him out for being a dick, no one on Corrin's side calls him mean, the game just has him lay into him, rightfully so. Yeah, his words are really venomous and Corrin's trying to get him to listen, but that's in-character for the latter (I can't speak for the former since Yukimura barely has a character), and I honestly can't blame him for reacting so hatefully, since everything went downhill after Corrin left. And wouldn't it be more unrealistic if he didn't try to arrest a traitor the minute he sees him, or was super nice and happy to see him again?

And even before he starts going into the invisible enemies "nonsense", Yukimura's and Orochi's reaction makes it clear they think he's foolish and naive for thinking they'd be willing to listen to him after his betrayal.

I also said I disliked Hana. While I couldn't explain it before I think I may be able to list some personal reasons. I also didn't mind her Corrin support and thought it to be one of the better ones, actually. (I will probably repost this response when OP creates the Hinata vs. Hana thread.)

-I don't like how some of her lines are delivered. It could just be me but, for some reason, the voice actress sounds as if she is a text-to-speech program. It's complicated.

-She is a glass cannon. The fact that she is going to predominately be a front line unit, right in the fray, means I need to be confident that she can survive when I put her in harm's way. Usually, she cannot.

-I don't mind her confidence but I don't generally like characters that "jump the gun." My main example is her support with Hinata; she immediately makes assumptions and misinterprets his words about how she is less capable than him. This one is clouded with bias as I just got finished D-riding Hinata and, honestly, it isn't really that bad now that I'm looking at it but I personally do not like it when people take my words out of context without giving me a chance to correct myself.

So, yeah, all of this is personal preference. She actually isn't that bad of a character; she's one of the better ones.

I like Hina-Baby more though :D

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I have now created the Hana vs. Hinata thread. Head on over and vote! Don't forget to tell us why! Debate is encouraged!

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64098&st=

(And seriously, how do I rename this thread?)

OMG all I did was create a forum late last night so that I could procrastinate studying for my finals, and now look at how far it has come over the course of one day! *cries a single manly tear* I am so proud. Thank you all so much for your input. I'll be reviewing some of the responses and selecting some to respond to individually, so be on the lookout for that.

Because of the success of this thread, I have two announcements:

1. I am going to rename this thread to "Your Favorite Unpopular Units" to make this thread a place where people can share their favorite units who aren't as well-liked by everyone else and receive the opinions of other users on Serenes Forest. Consider this thread a safe, welcoming place where you can read the opinions that other people may have of your favorite characters and see them receive some much-needed recognition in the eyes of your peers.

Again, thank you so much for your replies. I only joined Serenes Forest recently, and I've been struggling to gain a foothold in the community as an iconic member and die-hard lover of FE. So please, enjoy my forums to your hearts content.

EDIT: HELP! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RENAME THE THREAD!

Step 1: Edit OP

Step 2: Press on "Use Full Editor"

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Profit

Edit: Being more serious though. Go to the OP and edit it and press on "Use Full Editor" and change the title, then save the changes.

Edited by FoliFF

Step 1: Edit OP

Step 2: Press on "Use Full Editor"

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Profit

Edit: Being more serious though. Go to the OP and edit it and press on "Use Full Editor" and change the title, then save the changes.

I am guessing that I should probably know how to do this by now, but I'm afraid I don't see any button that says OP. Could you please elaborate?

Er, hate to rain on your parade there buddy but this isn't a popularity contest; we don't get points or likes for this. However, if you really want to see how badly a thread can explode, writer about either the story (particularly Conquest) or Corrin - I know I'll participate.

Case in point...

When was Yukimura's hostility being portrayed in a bad way? No one on his side calls him out for being a dick, no one on Corrin's side calls him mean, the game just has him lay into him, rightfully so. Yeah, his words are really venomous and Corrin's trying to get him to listen, but that's in-character for the latter (I can't speak for the former since Yukimura barely has a character), and I honestly can't blame him for reacting so hatefully, since everything went downhill after Corrin left. And wouldn't it be more unrealistic if he didn't try to arrest a traitor the minute he sees him, or was super nice and happy to see him again?

And even before he starts going into the invisible enemies "nonsense", Yukimura's and Orochi's reaction makes it clear they think he's foolish and naive for thinking they'd be willing to listen to him after his betrayal.

Sorry but I managed to erase what I had written due to my bloody mouse acting up, so you'll get a shortened version of what I wrote since I really really have to go.

First of all, I can't help but notice you haven't addressed what I wrote about Xander, how come? I don't mean that in a taunting way, but knowing you, you're not convinced by what I wrote.

You argued that Yukimura and Orochi, two very minor characters, were "chewing Corrin out" for not trusting him immediately without any proof after, for all they know, he had just betrayed them. That doesn't exactly make it look like the story is bothering to try and make Corrin seem three dimensional.

Of course the story paints Yukimura in a bad way. He doesn't believe Corrin (which is automatically wrong) and attacks him and makes his little ragtag band of misfits go "oh well, sigh, here they come" - it makes Yukimura look emotional and stupid for not believing Corrin.

Er, hate to rain on your parade there buddy but this isn't a popularity contest; we don't get points or likes for this. However, if you really want to see how badly a thread can explode, writer about either the story (particularly Conquest) or Corrin - I know I'll participate.

Case in point...

Sorry but I managed to erase what I had written due to my bloody mouse acting up, so you'll get a shortened version of what I wrote since I really really have to go.

First of all, I can't help but notice you haven't addressed what I wrote about Xander, how come? I don't mean that in a taunting way, but knowing you, you're not convinced by what I wrote.

You argued that Yukimura and Orochi, two very minor characters, were "chewing Corrin out" for not trusting him immediately without any proof after, for all they know, he had just betrayed them. That doesn't exactly make it look like the story is bothering to try and make Corrin seem three dimensional.

Of course the story paints Yukimura in a bad way. He doesn't believe Corrin (which is automatically wrong) and attacks him and makes his little ragtag band of misfits go "oh well, sigh, here they come" - it makes Yukimura look emotional and stupid for not believing Corrin.

No, your points about Xander were more about him as a character than what he said (short of "the speech is filled to the brim with hypocrisy"). And my posts weren't about Xander's character, so I didn't see a reason to argue against them (I don't like arguing about him anyway since he's really controversial, maybe even more than Corrin, and it just leaves me exhausted). I mean, I definitely see where your viewpoint is coming from, but just because the character delivering the speech may or may not be cowardly/hypocritical/etc doesn't make their points any less valid. I think the tvtrope term is something like Strawman Has a Point?

It doesn't make him look more three-dimensional, but it does show that he's not flawless and perfect in the eyes of the fellow inhabitants of his universe. They (and Xander and Ryoma, in 6 and 13) have a reason to get angry with him, and they do, and it's justified. A flawless, perfect character would either be instantly forgiven, or the people who are angry would be portrayed as extremely petty and shallow for daring to feel anger at such a being.

What cause does Yukimura have to believe Corrin? Attacking makes him look emotional, but I wouldn't say it makes him look stupid since he doesn't have any reason to believe him. He'd actually look more stupid if he did. All he knows about Corrin, right now, is that he may or may not have been responsible for Mikoto's death (he's never absolved of that on this route), "turned" on Hoshido at a crucial moment, and is now showing up at a fort which is apparently very important, either as a hospital or as an actual defensive point. The logical thing to do is not listen to him and not let him into your very defensible fort where you're hiding a princess of your nation.

I think they were ribbing each other? That's how I read it:Hinata: Huh? What was that? I couldn't hear you. Could you say it again? <-- he's winking as he says this, so I read it as he DID hear her, but he wants her to repeat it anyway, because he's teasing her about how bashful and blushing she's being.Avatar: No! You can figure it out yourself! Even you said there must be limits to how stupid one person can be! <-- Corrin's reaction to being teased, i.e. 'don't push me!'Or, if we take him at face value and assume he didn't actually hear her, I read her response as being 'it ought to be obvious how I feel from my face!'

Oh, I'm so stupid. I even giggled when he winked. So I guess I subconsciously "got it" even though I was a bit slow with it. Lol.

Still, just because you're blushing doesn't mean you're in love, but I'll stop there. Hah.

If humanity has taught me anything, it's that we are a bunch of hypocrites and we do many things "out of character". Xander being so flawed makes him all the more human. His lack of consistency basically shows that he's a far less flat, robotic, character than the rest of the cast.

As for Yukimura getting angry, it's probably his sense of patriotism for Hoshido. The only ones who are NOT patriotic are Azura and ConCorrin and RevCorrin. Yukimura also understands the situation a lot better later on in Rev. Not to mention, Corrin didn't come with a massive army to massacre Hoshido, so Yukimura can actually focus on chewing him out instead of being preoccupied with said army.

Hayato is Ricken that is somehow less mature.

Hana jumps to conclusions, but otherwise is very enjoyable.

Who can NOT hate Hinata? He's fantastic!

Nyx is a great character as well. Skimpy design and samey supports are minus points, but it doesn't mean her character is bad. Speaking of outfit design, I think you can explain its existence with one of two explanations. Most likely, it's IntSys doing something creepy with child characters again. Or, what I like to think, Nyx tries so hard to let others and herself know, ESPECIALLY herself, that she is actually full-grown woman. No child would dress that way, so she makes it obvious and tries to show her "beauty".

OK, will someone PLEASE tell me how to access to OP to change the name of the thread? I tried to follow some prior instructions but I couldn't figure it out. Do any of you know how to change the thread name, or is it just impossible? Please help.

OK, will someone PLEASE tell me how to access to OP to change the name of the thread? I tried to follow some prior instructions but I couldn't figure it out. Do any of you know how to change the thread name, or is it just impossible? Please help.

OP is just the first post

OP is just the first post

Yes, of course, but when I click "Edit" on my original post it won't let me change the name of thread. That's my problem.

Yes, of course, but when I click "Edit" on my original post it won't let me change the name of thread. That's my problem.

go to advanced options? like there's a full editor option next to save

Hana doesn't get any points for not being in love with Corrin because she's doing it wrong.

Hana doesn't worship the ground Corrin walks on but she does it in a way that just highlight how GOOD Corrin is. She starts out disliking him but is far to petty and irrational for her to have a point. That she manages to twist Corrin getting kidnapped and being forced to have Garon into his life as a reason to be hostile to him shows she might just be a scumbag unable to care for those she doesn't already deem to be her friend.

Saizo has a much better reason for their rough starts. He doesn't trust someone raised by the enemy kingdom. Hana doesn't have that concern, she's just being a jerk about Corrin being kidnapped itself rather then the result of him being raised by the enemy.

Yeeeeeah, this is kind of how I feel about Hana as well. I don't mind that she dislikes Kamui. Takumi is my favorite character (and I like Saizou), and neither immediately trust Kamui. But Hana's beef with Kamui is how much Sakura cried and how much it affected Sakura when they were kidnapped. Now, if Kamui had willingly walked out of their family's life without so much of a care on how it would affect them, she would have a point. But Kamui was kidnapped and likely didn't have it easy growing up, and for Hana to blame Kamui for being kidnapped with absolutely no consideration as to whether they suffered in Nohr is … very low.

Not a fan of her interactions with Tsubaki (namely, the whole bringing up that Tsubaki fell off his pegasus thing, since it's not just a minor thing to Tsubaki and it really affects him even now) and her personality just doesn't interest me.

go to advanced options? like there's a full editor option next to save

That worked. The name has now finally been changed. Thank you very much, Mr. Thor Odinson.

Now, let's get this thread back on track. I would like to bring up Subaki. I like him, but a lot of people don't, despite being chosen for some extra artwork in the upcoming DLC. Thoughts?

Edited by KoolioKenneth