Hana vs. Hinata- Choose Your Path! (Closed. View Results!)

Hana vs. Hinata- Choose Your Side!  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Branch of Fate--Choose Your Path

• Hana
    • Hinata
    • I like them both equally.
    • Screw this! I'm picking the third path! Ryoma FTW!

VIEW RESULTS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST UNDER "EDIT"

The Fire Emblem Fates community has been pretty split on which of the two samurai retainers for the Hoshidan Royal Family is better, so the time has finally come to end it, once and for all! I am personally on Team Hinata, but I want to know YOUR opinion!

(Note: Please choose between the first two, if at all possible. The last choice is really just for laughs. Only pick it if you don't like either Hana or Hinata.)

EDIT: The results are in! At the time in which I am typing this Hinata is technically winning by two votes (42, 44, 19, 19), but due to the short distance between the two (which was constantly fluctuating) and request from other users I've decided to call this poll a tie. Many thanks to all who voted!

Edited by KoolioKenneth

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont use either, so i picked Lobster Lord. I got to know Hana a little and she doesnt bother me as a character. Hinata, i have literally no opinion on outside his performance as unit. (which i find a bit meh)

I voted Hinata because I am #HinaTrash. Here are my reasons:

-Personality-wise, he is a simple character. He likes to fight and strives to hone his skills with a sword. He is oblivious and has trouble understanding complicated matters. He is aware that he is not the smartest onigiri in the bento box and, because of that, he tries to be as honest and straightforward as he can. Though his ways can come across as idiotic or silly, he genuinely cares about his comrades and he is surprisingly perceptive; he spends a support with Takumi entering a tournament to fight as he knows his lord is stressed and seeing his loyal retainer hand out ass beatings is the perfect thing to relieve that heavy burden, if only a little. He has no gimmicks that force him to stand out in a crowd and, yet, it is due to that same simplicity that he stands out to me.

-Unit-wise, he is a Tank!Samurai. While it seems counterproductive as Samurai are meant to hit quick, Hinata manages to carve himself a niche in BR as being one of two tanky units, the other being Rinkah. Though he does not hit often, he will indeed hit hard and is able to live several hits to hit hard once more the following turn. Also, he is interestingly one of three 1st Gen units (other being Hayato and Rinkah) that can obtain Death Blow and Lancebreaker without Friendship Sealing, helping him further if one decides to keep him in Samurai/Swordsmaster.

-Design-wise, he had all the right things that caught my eye. The first is that his predominate color is purple. The color purple has many meanings in the various cultures of our vast, vast world. The more well-known connotation of the color purple is royalty, reserved for imperials and popes. As well, it represents wealth and devotion, power and pride, mystery and independence. Clad in his purple haori and with a confident, yet mischievous smile on his scarred face, I was able to understand a minute fragment of Hinata's personality without even playing the game or reading through his supports, the second feature that caught my eye. Being able to read a bit of a character through their stance (or artwork) is, to me, an indication of visual characterization done right. The third and final reason his design caught my eye was that his character model matched what was portrayed in his portrait. Hinata is a young man with considerably muscled biceps; his standard Samurai class reflects this and I am often reluctant to reclass him to anything else.

With this, I am finished explaining why Hina-Bae is the best bae. I hope that you all have a wonderful evening.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

In my playthroughs, Hinata has always been screwed in growths. Yeah Hana doesn't have any Defense, but she is FAST and KINDA STRONG. Plus her speed and skill trump Hinata grealy. That Defense problem? Nohrian Blade patches it up a good bit.

I like Hinata as a character though. Hana feels to Sakurasexual to me.

...but screw the rules, pickle child 4 lyfe.

I'm an unashamed Hinata fan.

- SaiSymbolic explained this better than I would have, so I'll be brief; I like how honest and straight-forward he is. He knows his limits and that's fine.

- he's a genuinely positive, friendly person. I'll single out his Felicia and Hinoka supports as two good examples of this, especially given that they're both characters who get a bit of a rough deal in their supports. He seems to genuinely care about people without being too pestering (the closest he comes to pestering is in his support with Kagero, which is weaker, but still not terrible). He brings out the best in Felicia and Takumi.

- he's incredibly loyal to Takumi without being pandering. The game gives the impression that they have a truly solid friendship.

- Both Corrins like his butt, so I head-canon that he has the shapeliest butt in the game. :P

I like both of them and have tried using them together and with Ryouma in some of my earlier playthroughs.

However, I like Hinata more. His personality is appealing to me. I do wish he were a better unit though. I always need to baby him a little.

I voted Hinata because I am #HinaTrash. Here are my reasons:

-Personality-wise, he is a simple character. He likes to fight and strives to hone his skills with a sword. He is oblivious and has trouble understanding complicated matters. He is aware that he knows he is not the smartest onigiri in the bento box and, because of that, he tries to be as honest and straightforward as he can. Though his ways can come across as idiotic or silly, he genuinely cares about his comrades and he is surprisingly perceptive; he spends a support with Takumi entering a tournament to fight as he knows his lord is stressed and seeing his loyal retainer hand out ass beatings is the perfect thing to relieve that heavy burden, if only a little. He has no gimmicks that force him to stand out in a crowd and, yet, it is due to that same simplicity that he stands out to me.

-Unit-wise, he is a Tank!Samurai. While it seems counterproductive as Samurai are meant to hit quick, Hinata manages to carve himself a niche in BR as being one of two tanky units, the other being Rinkah. Though he does not hit often, he will indeed hit hard and is able to live several hits to hit hard once more the following turn. Also, he is interestingly one of three 1 Gen units (other being Hayato and Rinkah) that can obtain Certain Blow and Lancebreaker without Friendship Sealing, helping him further if one decides to keep him in Samurai/Swordsmaster.

-Design-wise, he had all the right things that caught my eye. The first is that his predominate color is purple. The color purple has many meanings in the various cultures of our vast, vast world. Some of the more well-known connotations of the color purple is royalty, reserved for imperials and popes. As well, it represents wealth and devotion, power and pride, mystery and independence. Clad in his purple haori and with a confident, yet mischievous smile on his scarred face, I was able to understand a minute fragment of Hinata's personality without even playing the game or reading through his supports, the second feature that caught my eye. Being able to read a bit of a character through their stance (or artwork) is, to me, an indication of visual characterization done right. The third and final reason his design caught my eye was that his character model matched what was portrayed in his portrait. Hinata is a young man with considerably muscled biceps; his standard Samurai class reflects this and I am often reluctant to reclass him to anything else.

With this, I am finished explaining why Hina-Bae is the best bae. I hope that you all have a wonderful evening.

Personally, I can't really think of Rinkah as a tanky unit. Her Def growth is severely undermined by her low HP.

Personally, I can't really think of Rinkah as a tanky unit. Her Def growth is severely undermined by her low HP.

That is a point. Still, I thought she worked pretty well as a meat shield to soak up physical hits. I felt she was one of the few units in BR that I could confidently send out in a crowd and she would come back alive.

Also, I tend to pump her with Seraph Robes. So there's that.

Ryoma for me...
I picked Hana over Hinata and she was a star for a while. But late game her lack of defense was becoming way too apparent, and eventually I treated her like I treat my healers and strategists: always keeping her behind the front lines and out of enemy range. Soooo she somewhat lost her purpose; most of the time I couldn't make her hit at all because she was either going to get severely damaged or die. As a character, she started to bore me because most of supports I've read she doesn't do anything else other than Train for Sakura. I know most FE characters are pretty 2d like this, but if I like the one-to-two traits the character has, I'll keep liking them. (Ex. never get tired of Kaden's vain commentary, and of Felicia's clumsiness.) Hana still has a cute design, though.
Hinata, I didn't get to try at all yet (in middle of second path so still doing first playthrough of Fates), but I'm not sure if I'll use him ever... No interest... Have Revelations team somewhat planned and it doesn't include him. Sorry you don't get a chance man...
Finally, Ryoma hasn't failed me. I think there was maybe one time or two he got badly hurt, but didn't die. This is why he wins.

That is a point. Still, I thought she worked pretty well as a meat shield to soak up physical hits. I felt she was one of the few units in BR that I could confidently send out in a crowd and she would come back alive.

Also, I tend to pump her with Seraph Robes. So there's that.

On that note, that was how Rinkah was for me... That is, until chapter 23, where I personally thought she started to estabilsh herself as the weak link in my team - being tanky doesn't mean much when it's undermined by low HP AND susceptibility to critical hits.

Anyways, I didn't use either of the other two, so Hana gets this by default.

Hinata is like my favorite character just tied with Arthur.

I love his design because mercenary is my favorite class, and his design really reminds me of the mercenaries of the older games.

His really laid back, chill personality makes him really likeable.

I also like his stat spread more than Hana, giving up some offense for actual defensive qualities, and great bases.

Hana also kinda rubs me the wrong way with the jerkish attitude she shows off in some of her supports.

^that's what I thought, but I usually like glassy myrms because I feel that's what the class was made to be.

Hinata's indeed a bro and his bases are cool, but he doesn't get any strength on my playthroughs. I may have him marry Rinkah and make him a blacksmith then make him a Swordmaster again in my next playthrough.

^that's what I thought, but I usually like glassy myrms because I feel that's what the class was made to be.

Hinata's indeed a bro and his bases are cool, but he doesn't get any strength on my playthroughs. I may have him marry Rinkah and make him a blacksmith then make him a Swordmaster again in my next playthrough.

Hinata can just use a Heart Seal to get Oni Savage, so having Rinkah marry him gives him nothing (though Rinkah gets Samurai out of this, but she can get that from Ryoma too).

I like both Hana and Hinata as units (Hana because I like glass cannon Myrmidons, Hinata because awesome tanks with high HP are rare in Birthright), but I prefer Hinata overall because I like his supports more than Hana's and he's a cool guy. Ryoma's okay, but I wouldn't bother with him if I could give the Raijinto to someone else (and I would've benched him anyway on my last Birthright run since he got screwed pretty hard level-wise, but I couldn't figure out how to unlock Yukimura by Endgame so he got to stay and be Scarlet's lobster-shaped stat booster).