Hana vs. Hinata- Choose Your Path! (Closed. View Results!)

Hana vs. Hinata- Choose Your Side!  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Branch of Fate--Choose Your Path

• Hana
    • Hinata
    • I like them both equally.
    • Screw this! I'm picking the third path! Ryoma FTW!

Hinata can just use a Heart Seal to get Oni Savage, so having Rinkah marry him gives him nothing (though Rinkah gets Samurai out of this, but she can get that from Ryoma too).

I like both Hana and Hinata as units (Hana because I like glass cannon Myrmidons, Hinata because awesome tanks with high HP are rare in Birthright), but I prefer Hinata overall because I like his supports more than Hana's and he's a cool guy. Ryoma's okay, but I wouldn't bother with him if I could give the Raijinto to someone else (and I would've benched him anyway on my last Birthright run since he got screwed pretty hard level-wise, but I couldn't figure out how to unlock Yukimura by Endgame so he got to stay and be Scarlet's lobster-shaped stat booster).

I only use lobster lord for Museum Melee anyways. Otherwise he'll just kill everything and take the glory. Also I forgot about that, lmao. Though I am interested at how a RinkahxHinata support would go, but maybe on Rev since Rinkah's marrying Jakob(I've seen Hisame's chapter, but not Dwyer's)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hinata for sure. Usually I like the faster units, but he just ended up working better for me. His cheerful, laid back personality and cute design also help improve my opinion of him.

I love Hana's design, but I was so disappointed by her personality. D:

I love Hanata!

With those two, who needs Ryoma. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but the most interesting part of Ryoma to me is his lightning sword. Katana, I know, Raijinto, I know...

I picked Ryoma 'cause he's the best Swordmaster. Not really contributing to the thread, but the option is there so....

If I had to pick between the two, I think I like Hinata better. As a unit, my Hana for some reason sucks at dodging! Things have like 20% chance to hit her, and she still somehow manages to get hit, and she has no defense which means she dies or is often dying =( And it doesn't seem to be just one playthrough either, every time I used her she would suck at dodging, so either I have terrible luck or the numbers are lying to me....

Hana's supports aren't that great either, I think I only liked a few of them... Every time I read a romantic support I think to myself, "why don't you just marry Sakura instead". I mean, it's not that I dislike her character archetype (as the sharp-tongued defensive best friend) or anything, I loved Maribelle from Awakening, but something about Hana rubs me the wrong way.

I didn't love any of Hinata's supports, but none of them are really awful either (his support with Felicia is probably my fave for Felicia)

What I'm curious about is why there are 4 units that come as Samurai/Swordmaster, but there's only one of Oni Savage and Apothecary (both of whome are female). Hinata totally should've come as an Oni Savage (it's his heart seal class anyway), he's got the biceps for it =D

Edited by MapleRose

In terms of units, both are pretty good if you don't consider the existence of Lobster Lord. (who is basically the best character of Birthright)

Hana is a super fast strong damage dealer that can also be used as a magekiller... Though we have ton of those in birthrights.

However, Hana's niche is that she does it with a sword, and will double like everything on her way. She just doesn't have the 1-2 Astra Activator that nukes everything to make her OP.

Hinata, on the other hand, is more of an all-rounder, due to his personal growths combined to his class growths. He'll do good, but since the only true tanks you need in birthright are Ryoma and Oboro... Sure?

I mean, they're purely outclassed by Ryoma.

But I like Hana more.

My personal choice: Hisame. o3o

I. . .can't argue with that!

Anyway, voted Hinata. His worst flaw is outlined in his support with Tsubaki. . .and if that counts as a "worst flaw", then he's golden. I made the mistake of marrying Hana to Silas, and regretted it (even if that was an epic Sophie).

Tbh the Hana/Silas JP support is what made me dislike Silas. The straw the broke the camel's back, if anything. I hate their English support too, but the JP support was basically character defenestration for Hana while sucking Silas's dick and I got really pissed off.

That aside, I think both Hinata and Hana are pretty cute. Hana is definitely the more flawed of the two, but I like her for her flaws too. I'm not gonna try to butcher English more this time trying to describe why I like them, though.

...as characters, anyway. I'll eventually use them in combat at some point. Last time I didn't because I /thought/ Rinkah needed more resources than she actually did, so now I know exactly how she functions I can definitely allocate the exp on at least one of them at a time given my usual team composition.

But even though I voted ~about the same I'm really #teamRyouma on basically every level (design, personality, combat)

I still have that other dissertation I need to write on him
Also I like my units OP

Edited by Thor Odinson

As what? a swordmaster?

Hero. Gave her Tomebreaker (A+ Jakob, and leveling Silas as a butler SUCKED), married her to Hisame (which I don't regret, because that convo was amazing), and used her to cover his not-so-great Res.

I picked Hana because I love her... though I like Hinata personnality too. The difference is gameplay wise. Though he is a good wall, he lacks... some good growths. Hana is just better, much better.

gameplay wise, hana came out much better than hinata in all of my playthroughs. hinata's growths are just so bad... 45% str and 35% spd growth as a swordmaster? get out of here.

yes, I know he's supposed to be a "bulky" unit, but that doesn't help if most of growths are still subpar. 45% defense is respectable for a swordmaster, but still prone to getting RNG screwed. at least he has good HP growths unlike rinkah.

It looks like the poll is falling in popularity, so I'm going to have to ask everyone who hasn't voted to please enter in your votes as quickly as you can. I will have to post the final results, eventually.

Hinata, though I wasn't really sure at first.

Hana is guaranteed to double almost everything (and with a high MT weapon maybe kill), but will die in two or possibly only one hits. Glass cannons are risky.

Hinata can take a few hits, and will double slower enemies while doing more damage.

Character wise, I prefer Hinata's simplicity. Hana is fine.

I'm unashamed Hana trash because I am naturally drawn to glass cannons. Although with +3 HP and +4 Str/Def from Master of Arms promotion + a defensive pair up + the generally low quality of Birthrout's enemies I don't have a hard time using Hana at all. I like overkilling shit. Yeah 24 x2 damage to a 28 HP fighter or some shit feels dope man. With her supports she's generally mean in the C/B but then usually apologizes and makes a turn around in the A with the S being standard "I loved you all long" or something similar. She's blunt but realizes her faults and I like that (supports to read: Keaton and Hayato). I'm also a huge sucker for pink and headbands. Karen Strassman is also one of my favorite voice actresses. Her seemingly unhealthy devotion to Sakura is a combination of her trying to live up to her father's legacy and protecting her best friend. It's a a lot less obnoxious when you look at it that way.

Basically, all the puzzle pieces fell in the right place for me.

Hinata's a bro, but he's also too much of a bro. He's a shonen protagonist basically. That's cool too, even if I don't dig his jank speed.

Hinata has always done well for me. Hana's high dodge but lack of bulk always made me worry while Hinata has always been able totake hits and vantage enemies to death. Their was even one time he vantage a good 3-4 enemies down by himself. Also i like his character.

Will someone please just give Hinata a vote so we can call it a tie?

Why does it matter? Its not like a contest or anything. <_<

But if it makes you happy well then fine, I guess I'll vote for Hisame's dad. o3o

Edited by Douglas MacArthur

Hahah, I think your vote sent it over the edge but in general we can conclude neither really wins. It seems the SF fanbase likes them both equally in comparison to each other.

I think we can pretty much call it a tie unless a tsunami of votes crashes in to move a side.

Hinata seems to lack any sort of niche to me. He's not really tanky enough to be a tank (losing out to the likes of Rinkah, Ryoma, Scarlet, Hinoka, and Oboro), and his offence is one of the lowest in Birthright (at least Subaki has the excuse that he flies).

Hana, meanwhile, is problematic but pretty good at what she does: erasing single targets and then mostly needing to be walled on the player phase. So... kind of like an archer, but with better offence than any of them once she gets rolling... but a worse start. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I do like it more than Hinata for sure, at least in Birthright.

Personality-wise I'm not a big fan of either; Hana mostly bores me with her training obsession and Hinata I actually kinda dislike. (Someone called him a shounen protagonist; I agree. I don't like those either!) Haven't really seen much of him but his supports with Takumi and Oboro are two of my least favourite ones I've read.

Hinata seems to lack any sort of niche to me. He's not really tanky enough to be a tank (losing out to the likes of Rinkah, Ryoma, Scarlet, Hinoka, and Oboro), and his offence is one of the lowest in Birthright (at least Subaki has the excuse that he flies).

He gets pretty bulky if you reclass him into oni immediately. 47.85/37.85/11.3 for hp/def/res at 20/20 chieftain is pretty great(at least physically). From what I remember units in lunatic only get in the low 40's for damage, meaning they'll just chip him. It gets even more noticeable if you're crazy enough to give him horse spirit, a +def pairup/tonic/meal or any other defense boost. He actually beats out rinkah who sits at 33.1/35.75/14.95(assuming oni->chieftain).

Edited by Ace Palico