New GBA ROM Hack Idea - Fire Emblem: Radiant Scion

Purple-Clad Gamer

This will be my FIRST hack and I'm not expecting it to be spectacular. That said, I'd need help with sprites and things like that... I've tried Nightmare programs which don't work with Linux as far as I know.

I want this to be an FE6 ROM Hack, for those wondering.

To begin, let's start with the story I have so far... It's a Prequel to Awakening, taking place 10 years before it begins (Chrom would be 8 and Lissa 4 at the time, lol).

Setting: Tellius

Greil Army soon began falling apart over the course of millenia. It eventually stooped down to the title Greil Mercenaries began. Paris, descendant of the Raidant Hero, Ike, was the leader of this Mercenary squad now. He enlisted his 14-year old son, Priam, to join the fighting. Once his father tells him of his lineage, he only begins to feel more pressure. To start him off, Paris sends his son on his first mission, since they had been hired by Crimea to deal with bandits ransacking a local valley with some villages in it. Accompanying him are Mariana (Your generic Cleric... lol rhymes) and Carson (Basically an Oifey. Starts as a General).

And now for Priam's planned growths and stuff.

Priam - Scion of the Radiant Hero. Only desires to help others.

Starting Class: Lord (An enlisted soldier born into wealth. Uses Swords.)

Growth Rates: HP 80% - Str 75% - Mag 0% - Skl 45% - Spd 45% - Lck 45% - Def 50% - Res 25%

Promotion: Vanguard (An enlisted soldier with peerless combat skill. Uses Swords and Axes.)

Promotion Gains: HP +5 - Str +5 - Mag +0 - Skl +3 - Spd +3 - Lck +3 - Def +4 - Res +3 - Mov +1

What do you guys think of this idea? I'm open for others to pitch in for this project!

It sounds like a good idea! Just a heads up, FE6 is probably the hardest to hack out of the gba era. I would change it to FE7 or FE8 to make it easier on yourself.

(Also, this should probably go to the concepts forum.)

Really, FE6? FE6 has nothing special or unique in terms of items, classes, tilesets or anything, has way less support and everything takes way much longer than with FE7/8. I've seen a tutorial on inserting portraits, trust me, it's awful.

I'll try to move this to Concepts. And yeah, I'll change it to FE7. Since I'm new here, how do I move this to Concepts?

EDIT: Also, the reason I initially chose FE6 was Zephiel. I was figuring I could turn him into a descendant of the Black Knight and have him wield a changed form of Alondite, similar to Falchion's redesign in Awakening.

Edited by Purple-Clad Gamer

Look, I didn't know. I don't have much knowledge. As mentioned before, help is appreciated. If anyone else wants to pitch in for this project, give me the word.

EDIT: Also, I've come up with Carson's Growths. You know, the crutch Oifey General I came up with?

HP 70% Str 60% - Mag 0% - Skl 50% - Spd 10% - Lck 30% - Def 85% - Res 20%

Unless you're planning on making enemy units insanely strong, you should look at official Fire Emblem growths (particularly Blazing Sword, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) because those growths are far too high for a Blazing Sword-like setting. Trust me, being someone who also hasn't much if any ability to hack, I know it's fun to write about the characters, giving them growths and all that good shit, but you gotta have at least something to show that's pictorial.

When I'm feeling the motivation for example, I practice making maps. It gives you a better understanding of the world you're creating, or recreating in your case. Yeti's map editor is ridiculously easy to use and you can just use the random generator if you aren't artistic with these things.

If that isn't your thing, try doing portraits. Again, if you aren't artistic, just pick a character, preferably from the GBA series and just mess with their colour schemes to get a comparative idea on what the characters will look like.

The last thing you have to worry about right now is hacking cause you have to some sort of motivation to work on the story. If you don't have visuals then you're literally working in the dark.

I feel like the Tellius series deserves another entry but no one ever follows through with it which is why I felt like posting this. Best of luck!

Allright, lemme die down with Growth Rates a bit, then.

Priam

HP 75% - Str/Mag 55% - Skl 55% - Spd 55% - Lck 40% - Def 40% - Res 40%

It's literally Ike's Path of Radiance growths with 5% added to Strength, Skill, and Luck.

Carson

HP 60% - Str/Mag 60% - Skl 40% - Spd 25% -Lck 35%- Def 45% - Res 35%

EDIT: Aaand...

Mariana, the Cleric mentioned before.

HP 40% - Str/Mag 60% - Skl 40% - Spd 50% - Lck 35% - Def 30% - Res 50%

Allright, lemme die down with Growth Rates a bit, then.

Priam

HP 75% - Str/Mag 55% - Skl 55% - Spd 55% - Lck 40% - Def 40% - Res 40%

It's literally Ike's Path of Radiance growths with 5% added to Strength, Skill, and Luck.

Carson

HP 60% - Str/Mag 60% - Skl 40% - Spd 25% -Lck 35%- Def 45% - Res 35%

EDIT: Aaand...

Mariana, the Cleric mentioned before.

HP 40% - Str/Mag 60% - Skl 40% - Spd 50% - Lck 35% - Def 30% - Res 50%

Sounds interesting. And those growths look much better?

My questions are:

1. What other units are you gonna add?

2. The Branded were pretty much a big part of Tellius. Will they play a bigger role in this?

3. How will you weld Priam's journey into Awakening?

Sounds interesting. And those growths look much better?

My questions are:

1. What other units are you gonna add?

2. The Branded were pretty much a big part of Tellius. Will they play a bigger role in this?

3. How will you weld Priam's journey into Awakening?

All in due time. I haven't gotten THAT far yet.

Okay, I have a few ideas:

-I know that you've stated that a Black Knight descendant is gonna be a thing. Since the Ragnell and Andodite lost the blessings of the god who created them, how about making the Andodite become corrupt and cause the BK descendant to lose all emotion, or something of that nature?

-The Andodite's corruption could be caused by sorcerers who don't go by a certain name, but they're actually the Grimeal. This doesn't get revealed till later on in the story and the Grimeal aren't really the main villains, but were hired by the real main villain to create a sword that could kill Naga in response to Falchion being able to put Grima to sleep.

-At least one descendant of Ike's crew should be a major boss, even more major than the BK descendant himself. I mean, this person has to be absolutely hateful and spiteful towards Priam and be a complete asshole. And this person HAS to be a descendant of a fan favorite/big roleplayer in PoR/RD.

Character ideas:

-A Soren like character to Priam, but not Soren's descendant. He'll/She'll share traits similar to Soren, but he'll/she'll have some sort of fault. He'll/she'll be the first Mage that you get in game. Gameplay wise, the character will have high con, skill, and mag, but have bad resistance and luck.

Base stats:

lv3 Mage: HP: 23 Mag: 7 Skl: 8 Spd: 4 Luk: 3 Def: 4 Res: 8 Con: 8

Growth Rates:

HP: 60% Mag: 55% Skl: 60% Spd: 30% Luk: 10% Def: 25% Res: 15%

-A relative to the Soren like character that nags him/her for being so harsh with his/her criticism. She/he always try to find the positives in misfortunes, and the Soren like character can never lose to him/her in a dispute. He/She may be a Peg Knight, but it's up to you.

Base stats:

lv1 Peg Knight: HP: 19 Str: 4 Skl: 7 Spd: 9 Luk: 9 Def: 5 Res: 7 Con: 5

Growth Rates:

HP: 45% Str: 45% Skl: 40% Spd: 60% Luk: 65% Def: 20% Res: 40%

-A rival Soldier that blocks Priam's path in one mission. The soldier is a mercenary that gets hired by a side antagonist who generally hates Ike's legacy and doesn't want it to live on, so he/she accepts the job in exchange for just wanting to kill Priam and erase Ike's legacy in the present, but gets betrayed after failing once. Priam can recruit him/her in a Gaiden chapter similar to the BK fight in PoR where it's just Priam and an optional character vs the sellsword and wins. You then get to choose whether or not you let him/her live or kill him/her. If he/she lives, then he'll join you, if you kill him/her, you'll get a promotional item and get another Gaiden later on in the game that gets in on the reasons the man/woman hates the legacy of Greil Mercenaries and Ike, and you can recruit another character that is related to the mercenary.

Unit:

Base Stats:

lv13 Soldier: HP:36 Str: 13 Skl: 17, Spd: 8 Luk: 12 Def: 16 Res: 13 Con: 9

Growth Rates:

HP: 50% Str: 35% Skl: 30% Spd: 10% Luk: 5% Def: 40% Res: 5%

Boss:

First Encounter:

lv8 Soldier: HP 30 Str: 9 Skl: 11 Spd: 5 Luk: 7 Def: 8 Res: 6 Con: 9

Weapons/Items:

Short Spear(Dropped)

Vulenary

Hoplon Guard(can be stolen)

Second Encounter:

lv13 Soldier: HP:36 Str: 13 Skl: 17, Spd: 8 Luk: 12 Def: 16 Res: 13 Con: 9

Weapons/Items:

An S rank lance(dropped)

An item that heal him/her at the start of the enemy phase(can be stolen)

The descriptions are kinda vague, but I think that they would give you some ideas. Hope it helps! ^^

Sorry guys. I think I have to cancel this project. I can't get Nightmare or Nightmare 2 to work with Linux. I'm sorry... I can't get Java to open Nightmare, so... I'm screwed.

Guys, I formally apologize.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on linux, if you have a machine with access to windows you could always use that, or set up a VM with some version of windows on it (like 7 or something cheap) and use that.

Sucks that it doesn't work on linux though :/

Edited by InvdrZim13

You could try using WINE to run EA, and that's the only real tool you need. Dropbox and a friend that can insert/rip things would help, though.

But I'll also look into compiling C# code to run on Linux.

You know what is funny? One of my ideas for an hack was a Tellius sequel. The idea was born out of Ashunera's sentence: "War is starting to shroud the world again." or something like that. Doesn't mean I will never do it, though. I guess Hunger for Power first means I'll be more experienced by then

• 1 month later...