How OP Should Lords Be?

Jotari

99 members have voted

1. 1. How Effective Should Lords Be in Combat

• If they can't solo the game then I'm wasting my time (like Sigurd)
    • Lord's are prissy rich boys that need to be mollycoddled (like Roy).
    • Weak to start but grow with their character (like Leif?).
    • Leave it entirely up to luck with 50% growths in everything (like Eliwood).
    • Just stick em on the backside of a pair up (like Chrom).
    • Give me a good average lord (like Marth).
    • I don't care as long as they can marry everyone.
    • I'd be cool with a stave bot or dancing lord.
    • "The next avatar should be the convoy and nothing else."

When it comes to combat we've had a pretty rich diversity with how useful lords are (the weapons they use not quite as much but that's a different topic). What's your preferred type of lord when it comes to combat? And what kind of lords would you like to see in the future that they haven't tried yet.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy's our boy, Roy's our boy

One of the many reasons I love FE6 is that while the main character can still hold his own, he won't be soloing a chapter anytime soon. Give me another Lord like that please.

I liked Eliwood levels of Lord. He's useful, a decent unit, not OP but not terrible eitherway. OP lords imo deviate the attention from other characters as a unit.

Eliwood/Roy are the lord figures I want to see in the future.

Edited by Quintessence

I liked Eliwood levels of Lord. He's useful, a decent unit, not OP but not terrible eitherway. OP lords imo deviate the attention from other characters as a unit.

Imo Eliwood/Roy are the lord figures I want to see in the future.

I know I said Marth and Leif. But I like something like Roy or Eliwood as well.... more so Eliwood though Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

I think the Lord needs to be good simply because they are required to complete the game. Units like Roy, Lyn, Micaiah, etc. are the worst because they die when you so much as look at them for a majority of the game. While I am not a fan of gamebreakers like Sigurd, Seliph, Ephraim, and Ike, they at least can hold their own. My ideal Lord character would be a Hector-type, where they are definitely better than the average unit but don't break the game.

I like a lord whos like Eliwood in growths, but can be utility units (like dancing or stave bot if necessary). So im ok with a combination of things. I like Hector as a lord because hes thwomp but he has drawbacks like speed being a little bit of gamble and his res is poop. I dont like super OP lords.

i dunno.

I like at minimum, a solid unit, because I'm forced to carry their ass around. They don't necessarily have to be literally Sigurd (I like OP units so I'm not gonna complain about Sigurd-tier) but they should be able to carry their weight at the very least.

I don't want to carry around a nuisance. They can be shittier with the pairup system because i can at least shove them away and they'll give stats, but with pre-fe13 systems I'd like they can do something reliably. Don't even have to be amazing--Eirika is fine by me, for example. She's not overpowered, but she can keep up usually and hold her own.

Utility is also welcome--I'd be fine if Azura was actually the lord, since even though her durability is ass her unique utility outweighs that and she isn't a nuisance if you know how to refresher right.

Edited by Thor Odinson

After playing my first FE, I quite like how good Lyn was, and if I had to choose a lord, I'd make it somewhat like Lyn (a good unit, but of a fragile class to help encourage defending her), or a unit with non-combat utility, so I don't have to keep using my slots for other units to fill those niches.

...Now I want a thief Lord.

Gameplayewise not like Roy or Micaiah and personalitywise not like FE10 Ike please.

In general I prefer a non noble lord without any special abilities (like turning into a manakete) and who can use other weapons than swords. A bow using lord from the beginning would be cool.

Gameplayewise not like Roy or Micaiah and personalitywise not like FE10 Ike please.

In general I prefer a non noble lord without any special abilities (like turning into a manakete) and who can use other weapons than swords. A bow using lord from the beginning would be cool.

Oh, you need to play Tearring Saga, the game Shouzou Kaga made after leaving IS that got sued for basically being an FE game. Holmes, one of the two lords of the game, is this for the most part.

Give me a Marth or Eirika. If trained they become one of your better units but still aren't what we'd call top tier. While steamrolling entire maps with Chrom and Robin alone was fun, I'd rather have other minor characters that can shine better gameplay wise. Plus doesn't inflate the ego if the Avatar system returns yet again with those people that self-project themselves a little bit too deeply. Those Chrom x Robin ships vs Sumia were deadly battlegrounds, mateys.

Leif is the ideal lord for me, decent in combat, mediocre overall, but he had subtle impact to the game that ended up creating one of the best unit in his game

This is kinda what Robin "aims' to do based on his skillset, but we all know what happened with Robin - the game become Fire Emblem - Robinning

Edited by JSND

Just give me a good protagonist since we really need that are Corrin.

Stat wise, nothing too OP (Sigurd), but strong enough that it is not a pain to keep them alive (Roy).

Basically I like an Eliwood/Eirika type balance-wise, yes.

They're units whose perfect availability and decent growths make them average at worst, but their other issues like being swordlocked (before Eliwood promotes, at least) and rather low-ish bases make them non-broken.

The Leif option seems like the one I would like the most. I enjoy watching characters grow while the story progresses and how it impacts their gameplay. I think FE8 is a good example of this, to a certain point, since Ephiram and Eirika can promote way earlier than Eliwood/Hector and Roy, but it's still kinda late.

I like them starting out kinda weak and growing with their character. I felt like PoR Ike was this and I enjoyed it. He wasn't real strong at all in the beginning (you had to be really lucky if he dodged any hits in the beginning, even), but over time, he becomes scary as fuck. :P

Something I learned from RD is that when there are powerful forced units like Ike and Ranulf, the chapters will always play out pretty similar. With them at the head, there is just no way that weaklings like Illyana could significantly affect the way that one approaches a chapter. So Leaf was the best one. With his wide range of abilities, especially his magic sword, he can contribute in just about every team and playstyle without overshadowing his comrades.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm torn. Units like Eliwood are the type that I think are the best stat wise. Not terrible, but not particularly powerful either. On the other hand, Corrin has something that makes her/him good IMO.

Corrin being the main lord is a good step to hopefully paving the future for how the lords are designed. Variable.

I like that Corrin has the choice of any class you want. It essentially means that you can build your team around what you want as a player rather than what the game forces you to have. What I mean is this, most units that are lords are locked with swords, so as a player, you're naturally more inclined to use units that balance this out-- ie, pick an axe user over another sword user unless the axe user is terrible. Corrin's idea is kinda weeding that out potentially. If it weren't for the Noble Prince/Princess classes being locked with weapons, this would be better (especially with getting the Yato as a sword still encourages you to choose a sword using class).

Next FE game, I'd like them to keep the lord as the customization character, but make their preferred weapon something you choose to be honest. Especially if the lord is going to keep having a unique class. I'd rather them do something like:

Choose appearance, boon, bane, weapon, and subclass(es). Then on promotion have a choice of gaining an additional weapon or a critical boost for your first weapon. Just so you could do unique things like FINALLY make a cleric lord if you wanted , or have critical boosted tomes.

I like them starting out kinda weak and growing with their character. I felt like PoR Ike was this and I enjoyed it. He wasn't real strong at all in the beginning (you had to be really lucky if he dodged any hits in the beginning, even), but over time, he becomes scary as fuck. :P

Regal Blade solves everything. Ike literally needs only a few easy levels from the first two chapters to get him rolling (over everything).

In my opinion, I'd be down for a non-combat main character, or one that starts out at around the same stat curve as everyone else, but has the growths to make them able to hold their own.

Regal Blade solves everything. Ike literally needs only a few easy levels from the first two chapters to get him rolling (over everything).

Um, Ike doesn't get a Regal Blade. That weapon is only in FE7, I believe. One of the Elibe games anyway. You're talking about the Regal Sword. They're two different things. And no, it doesn't suddenly make him OP. It makes him better, sure, but not OP. I've still had him take too much damage and even get killed. He doesn't seem too powerful to me until he gets promoted.

Edited by Anacybele

Something I learned from RD is that when there are powerful forced units like Ike and Ranulf, the chapters will always play out pretty similar. With them at the head, there is just no way that weaklings like Illyana could significantly affect the way that one approaches a chapter. So Leaf was the best one. With his wide range of abilities, especially his magic sword, he can contribute in just about every team and playstyle without overshadowing his comrades.

Which really, really suits Thracia's style since there are a lot of units and almost every single one of them is viable in some way. And even among those units there are differnt ways of levelling them thanks to the way Scrolls affect growths.

Edited by Jotari