Would you have preferred it if the Lunatic "fixed growths" were average growths, like in FE9?

ruadath

Yea, same here or maybe at least an option for averaged growths. However, I do appreciate the sense of randomness with FE's leveling system as it's effective in inspiring multiple playthroughs and there are always a bunch of people with similar class sets and growths who are tied to the bench otherwise.

YES! I don't mind the small variances in FE9's growths (such as the various Rings), and it would've been super-cool to see that in this game.

I don't really know about Fates yet. Probably in the case of Conquest, which seem to have similar grinding restrictions to FE6, it might actually help to bring some certainty in strategy. Being RNG screwed is probably the last thing you want.

Edited by henrymidfields

It's bizarre that a tactics game should have random growths as the only setting. Random-growth LTC playthroughs for this game demand obscene RNG abuse for Corrin's offensive growths. As dondon has pointed out, the main appeal of 0%-growth playthroughs is not the challenge, but rather the reproducibility.

For Lunatic, I think it has the wrong idea of the random growths. Because you can't tell anyone's growths, all you can do is pick people that are good based off of bases or pretty much have godlike growths. You can't get a bad level and then reset to get a more average one, and in lunatic, the growths matter more than they ever do in other modes. If Lunatic was going to do what it did, I think they should have added one more interesting dynamic. Forced stat ups on levels.

IE, if you're a paladin, ever 3rd level or so, you WILL get a speed stat regardless of growths etc. That way, if your characters are headed in directions you don't like growth wise, you can do something about it outside of just pumping your character full of stat boosters or dropping the unit, or leaving them as a permanent pair up bot. It doesn't really make much for strategy with a unit when your idea with them is: "ignore them."

As someone who prefers Random growths for what they add to replayability, I will say that Fixed growths really should be an option. Sometimes I like playing with the characters the way they "should" be, and I have some friends who really hate the effect of random growths on their enjoyment of the game, so they deserve the option as well. And it's so easy to implement, especially if you don't bother with the slight modifications FE9 did.

Also, I think the "roll out levels in advance" that Lunatic does would be a great idea for Fire Emblem in general, it removes the temptation to reset if you get bad levels (or do crazy plays which might lead to death, which I am usually more inclined to do after a few bad levels).

After working with it in practice I came to like the fixed growth system of Lunatic. Bad level up? Can't change it anyway, so w/e. Good level? I can take solace in the fact that, if I fuck up and die, that level up will still be there waiting for me.

Gives me less to worry about.

After working with it in practice I came to like the fixed growth system of Lunatic. Bad level up? Can't change it anyway, so w/e. Good level? I can take solace in the fact that, if I fuck up and die, that level up will still be there waiting for me.

Gives me less to worry about.

I do like this and I think it needs to be a feature in general. Or at least an option; I'd take it every time because it's way less stressful since I'm never even tempted by the notion of a reset and don't lose good levels if I screw up. Averages as an option would make sense as a third radio button there, so to speak (Pure Random / Locked Random / Locked Averages). But lol detailed setup options like that in a Nintendo game.