Overrated Ships

CureRainbow

I will agree with those who think that Leo x Takumi is super overrated. I constantly see stuff about it and it gives me the impression that most people ship it for yaoi or something. Blergh...

But then again, I also consider Leo x Sakura to be overrated despite the nice supports. It's probably the most popular hetero royal x royal ship out there and I always see fanworks of it. Then again, the only royal x royal ship I like is Leo x Hinoka. Huzzah for unpopular ships ;____;

Honestly, all of y'all are just proving that Takumi/Oboro isn't overrated. I don't even see a lot of fanworks of them. On the contrary, I get the impression that people who like them are content to not shove it into anyone's faces and just like it without needing to produce fanwork of it.

I feel like it's a case of the "vocal minority" here. This thread was created for people to let out what ships they are tired of, so they can be as vocal as they want without worries. But I also get the same feeling you have about the Takumi x Oboro fans. The number of fanart you see on the internet sometimes makes you wonder if it's that popular in the first place.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww yeah! My kind of board! Everyone has said so much already geeze (a popular board about pairings, who woulda thought?). I'll try to put my two cents in here.

Also, it could be how the support system is structured. The way supports are written, it makes it seem that the characters are bonding and falling in love over trivial, idiotic things. Adding in the bullbull S-rank where they immediately jump into love and marriage, it doesn't really help in that case.

This times a million. This is why I honestly don't think any couple is particularly amazing. Overall, the supports are just...meh. And with the support system being an extra to the game, can you complain? Maybe. IMO, the best supports are those that delve deeper into the characters' backgrounds or personalities, which adds more to the overall story in a way.

That being said, I'll start naming some.

More ships I forgot. These aren't super-popular, but I do dislike them and see them too often for my tastes:

Hayato x Nyx: Great gameplay, but their supports were just kind of underwhelming for me.

Kaze x Azura: This is like the above in that the gameplay is good, but the supports weren't. Kaze slipped in and out of being formal and being teasing too much, and Azura opened up too fast to someone she's never spoken to before.

M!Corrin x Niles: I get people are happy to finally have gay pairings available, and I'm glad for you, but I just wasn't feeling the chemistry with their supports. It's pretty much Niles just expositioning about his backstory while Corrin nods and listens. Even the JPN S-support pointed out that the sudden "I like you" came out of nowhere.

And the big, super-popular one:

Leo x Takumi: I dislike shipping people outside their sexuality. I especially dislike it when people do it because they think male-on-male or female-on-female is hot. And since the only bi characters in the game are Corrin, Niles, Rhajat, and Soleil, things like Ophelia x Soleil, F!Corrin x Azura, M!Corrin x Silas, etc, earn my ire, but none more than Leo x Takumi. Because it is EVERYWHERE and mostly seems to be a case of "they're hot boys who argue, let's pair them and write steamy yaoi hatesex~", especially on Ao3. Their supports were actually nice, but I can't enjoy them anymore because of the yaoi fangirls.

Okay you are just spitting truth my friend. Lol. This is all good.

I'm glad someone finally acknowledged that a lot of people ship Takumi X Leo just because they fetish gay relationships and this happens in soo many other fandoms but I'll stop in fear of exploding. Lol.

I'm 99% sure Kaze and Azura's popularity is because of that S-support. Also keep in mind that people tend to remember the latest conversation and that they might have done the other supports a while ago, not even remembering them. I went through the C-A supports again and now I remember how much I hated that "I'll keep your secret if you be NICEEEE to me lol!!!"...like...ew?? Did they get a 15 year old boy with a crush in high school to write that? Gross, and seems out of character. Also Kaze and Shigure's Child Scramble convo is just...weird.

I'm confused as to why people are saying that M!Corrin x Azura is pushed onto you by the game. Doesn't female Corrin have the exact same dialogue as male Corrin? I think people might be reading too much into it... Lol.

I have to agree with you on the Corrin/Silas. I've read their supports (Not S, since I haven't played as a female yet) and it seems like a clichéd childhood romance story, which I am not quite fond of, to be honest.

I think this is why people like it, though. Lol. I tried to like it, I really did, but ugh it was so corny and not interesting. That guy got friend zoned into oblivion lmao, and eventually I disliked his character as a whole, especially because I saw Corrin x Silas everywhere. Ugh.

I feel like Corrin x anyone is uninteresting because as someone said here...Corrin is practically emotionless. I don't like their character, honestly. Corrin themself is a cliche and is so bland. I think when people marry who they want, it's because THE PLAYER likes them, not because Corrin is good with them, or that their support was even good. Hence, all of the Corrin x Xander and Leo, because people are inserting themselves there and taking Corrin's place. I honestly dislike Corrin's S support with the characters I do have them to marry. Now, does that mean I don't think Xander and Leo are overrated as husbands? Nah, I definitely do lmao.

I will agree with those who think that Leo x Takumi is super overrated. I constantly see stuff about it and it gives me the impression that most people ship it for yaoi or something. Blergh...

I feel like it's a case of the "vocal minority" here. This thread was created for people to let out what ships they are tired of, so they can be as vocal as they want without worries. But I also get the same feeling you have about the Takumi x Oboro fans. The number of fanart you see on the internet sometimes makes you wonder if it's that popular in the first place.

Yeah, I'm mostly blowing out hot air because everyone doesn't like what I like. LOL.

As for Takumi X Leo, I'm not a fan of the support itself but there is a pretty good fanfiction I was reading involving that couple on AO3. It has some nice world building and characterizatione that I enjoyed. I would be lying if I said I didn't have my own secret yaoi pairings that I sniggle and giggle over but I like to think I pair them for more reason than them being two dudes.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Honestly, all of y'all are just proving that Takumi/Oboro isn't overrated. I don't even see a lot of fanworks of them. On the contrary, I get the impression that people who like them are content to not shove it into anyone's faces and just like it without needing to produce fanwork of it.

Really, the only pairing that's overrated is Leon/Takumi. IT'S EVERYWHERE. I don't even dislike it, but it seriously is everywhere. It's the Ike/Soren, the Sirius/Lupin, the Riku/Sora, of the FE fandom.

Takumi/Oboro was super popular on Pixiv when the game first came out in Japan, but since then it's cooled down. It's all F!Corrin/Brothers (In order of frequency: Takumi>Xander>Leo>Ryoma) now.

I'm confused as to why people are saying that M!Corrin x Azura is pushed onto you by the game. Doesn't female Corrin have the exact same dialogue as male Corrin? I think people might be reading too much into it... Lol.

People say it's pushed because of things like her--and only her--having extra confessions with him, extra support chains with him, and shippy dialogue with him like Chapter 5's "I feel safe when I'm with you" or the stuff at the lake at the end of the game. The dialogue is mostly the same between genders, I think there's like...one or two lines that are different for male and that's it? But see, a character's gender can totally change the feel of something; dialogue that feels platonic for two women can feel completely romantic when it's between a woman and a man (for example: in media, a woman telling a man she feels safe with him is usually romantic, while a woman telling another woman she feels safe with her is usually an assertion of friendship/trust). And when Azura gets more dev stuff with M!Corrin than anyone else, and when you remember she was supposed to have even more, like unique mother-daughter supports with Kana, it pretty easily feels like the devs really wanted him to marry her.

I feel like Corrin x anyone is uninteresting because as someone said here...Corrin is practically emotionless. I don't like their character, honestly. Corrin themself is a cliche and is so bland. I think when people marry who they want, it's because THE PLAYER likes them, not because Corrin is good with them, or that their support was even good. Hence, all of the Corrin x Xander and Leo, because people are inserting themselves there and taking Corrin's place. I honestly dislike Corrin's S support with the characters I do have them to marry. Now, does that mean I don't think Xander and Leo are overrated as husbands? Nah, I definitely do lmao.

I disagree about Corrin themselves being bland and emotionless, but I do agree that most of their first-gen supports are bad. Since Corrin's "the player", a support with most characters introduces them, has them exposition about their gimmick/backstory, and then bammarriage. Which is just dull and unbelievable.

Takumi/Oboro was super popular on Pixiv when the game first came out in Japan, but since then it's cooled down. It's all F!Corrin/Brothers (In order of frequency: Takumi>Xander>Leo>Ryoma) now.

Huh, maybe I wasn't hanging out at pixiv during the right times, but honestly the earliest shipping stuff I can remember was f!Kamui/brothers. Then again, Kamui.

Yeah, I'm mostly blowing out hot air because everyone doesn't like what I like. LOL.

As for Takumi X Leo, I'm not a fan of the support itself but there is a pretty good fanfiction I was reading involving that couple on AO3. It has some nice world building and characterizatione that I enjoyed. I would be lying if I said I didn't have my own secret yaoi pairings that I sniggle and giggle over but I like to think I pair them for more reason than them being two dudes.

We all know how you pine over Arthur and Niles Sai, it's okay.

In all honesty I had no idea Leo x Takumi was that popular - but I don't dig up fanfiction. I see more Corrin x Leo stuff. I'll admit I'm guilty of thinking Leo is attractive but I also can't bring myself to marry him. I prefer him with so many better girls.

Oh also I don't get Camilla x Keaton, though I think that's more for stats then anything else. I just so vastly prefer Azura x Keaton I guess.

Well, I get that, but the name of the thread is "overrated ships", and the definition of overrated isn't "things I am tired of", or "things I don't like". (Which is why I didn't list Corrin/siblings, as much as I dislike those pairings, because they aren't as overrated as Leokumi.) Now, if the thread title was "ships you don't like" or "ships you are tired of", I wouldn't have said anything at all :P:

Edited by Sunwoo

People say it's pushed because of things like her--and only her--having extra confessions with him, extra support chains with him, and shippy dialogue with him like Chapter 5's "I feel safe when I'm with you" or the stuff at the lake at the end of the game. The dialogue is mostly the same between genders, I think there's like...one or two lines that are different for male and that's it? But see, a character's gender can totally change the feel of something; dialogue that feels platonic for two women can feel completely romantic when it's between a woman and a man (for example: in media, a woman telling a man she feels safe with him is usually romantic, while a woman telling another woman she feels safe with her is usually an assertion of friendship/trust). And when Azura gets more dev stuff with M!Corrin than anyone else, and when you remember she was supposed to have even more, like unique mother-daughter supports with Kana, it pretty easily feels like the devs really wanted him to marry her.

I disagree about Corrin themselves being bland and emotionless, but I do agree that most of their first-gen supports are bad. Since Corrin's "the player", a support with most characters introduces them, has them exposition about their gimmick/backstory, and then bammarriage. Which is just dull and unbelievable.

Ahh okay. Wow, I had no idea about the unique child support. I knew about the extra supports, though, but I figured it was because of the different games and Azura is the other main character. That's pretty telling. But honestly, taking story dialogue or any other dialogue out of context because of gender isn't the games' fault there. As a female, I tried so hard not to cry at the end because of Azura. I'm pretty sure that's all they were trying to accomplish there, as far as that's concerned.

And yeah I should've been more specific. Corrin seems bland in their supports, and maybe I used "emotionless" a bit wrong here. It's just that when Corrin does show emotion, it seems sort of forced? Speaking about the supports again. They definitely had emotion in the story, though.

The only one I can think of that I personally feel is overrated is Saizo/Kagero, and to a lesser extent Ryoma/Kagero. I feel like these couples share a general lack of chemistry and they're only popular because of the existing relationships. I think this is especially true of the former; people see that Saizo and Kagero had a romantic past, and the urge is immediately to put them back together. But they really have no chemistry; hell, the entire support is based on how much they disagree! I mean, they already broke up once, and the support is quite vague as to whether they were actually romantically involved, not just physically. I can't help but think they'd make the most boring couple, and yet they're still so popular. I feel that Kagero is so much better with someone like Odin or Hinata; their supports are so cute and expressive, showing a different side to her than just 'serious ninja who serves Ryoma.'

Genuinely interested to see the hate for Takuobo. I honestly think it's one of the most well-written and natural progression of supports in the game; but I can see why some people would think it's overrated based on the hype and love surrounding it, and rightly so.

Yeah, Lady Corrin & Azura have the exact same supports.

Re. Takumi/Oboro - a lot of arguments have talked about Oboro's unrequited feelings, but I think there's a decent case to be made for him returning her feelings in their B-A supports. Oboro notes that she's receiving special attention in their B-rank and Takumi blushes when he asks, 'isn't it normal to care about your subjects' well-being?' I mean, it's left ambiguous enough because the game allows the player to create pairings as they see fit, but I think there's enough hinting that it's not entirely one-sided.

I think when people marry who they want, it's because THE PLAYER likes them, not because Corrin is good with them, or that their support was even good. Hence, all of the Corrin x Xander and Leo, because people are inserting themselves there and taking Corrin's place. I honestly dislike Corrin's S support with the characters I do have them to marry. Now, does that mean I don't think Xander and Leo are overrated as husbands? Nah, I definitely do lmao.

I actually do like the Corrin/Leo S-rank and think it's Leo's best S-rank, to the point where I honestly wonder if one of the writers shipped them. He's not my favourite character (I mean, I like him, but he'd probably top a list of overrated characters). I've not done Corrin/Xander yet but on paper at least I can see the appeal. I think claiming all the Corrin/royal siblings fans are just self-inserting is belittling to players.

Might said fanfiction be called Joining of Worlds?

Re. Takumi/Oboro - a lot of arguments have talked about Oboro's unrequited feelings, but I think there's a decent case to be made for him returning her feelings in their B-A supports. Oboro notes that she's receiving special attention in their B-rank and Takumi blushes when he asks, 'isn't it normal to care about your subjects' well-being?' I mean, it's left ambiguous enough because the game allows the player to create pairings as they see fit, but I think there's enough hinting that it's not entirely one-sided.

You could even make a case for their C-supports that Takumi seems to reciprocate her feelings. I mean, he actively seeks her out to thank her for something that honestly sounds rather minor. And he also asks her if she prefers being a tailor over a retainer, and to tell him truthfully. He just comes off far less prickly with her than anyone else, and it's clearly not just a retainer thing (has a slow support with Hinata). I wouldn't like them so much if I didn't already get the idea that Takumi reciprocated her feelings as early as the C.

Then again, the only royal x royal ship I like is Leo x Hinoka. Huzzah for unpopular ships ;____;

Woo, another Leo/Hinoka shipper! There's at least three of us now, I think?

That still doesn't allow me to see the chemistry that they supposedly have. According to their support, Takumi has always known Oboro's feelings towards him. Why did he wait so long if he felt the same way about her?

Because Takumi has a lot of insecurities? That was honestly a nice touch for me, because someone like Takumi wouldn't make the first move normally.

Honestly, I could say the same about Silas/Oboro (I'm just using that as an example since you previously mentioned it) regarding chemistry, in that aside from helping her overcome her prejudice in the most ridiculously fast and Silas-shilling way they have absolutely zero chemistry to me. Takumi is shown to explicitly trust and value her as a retainer, goes out of his way to help her achieve her dreams, is very kind to her, in general seems to be comfortable around her and enjoy her company, and she already has feelings for him and enjoys being around him. That, to me, shows way more chemistry and romantic compatibility than any of Silas and Oboro's interactions. But, to each their own. EDIT: Res basically said it way better than I could.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand...

The royal ships, which I don't think are bad per se (minus Camilla with Takumi and Ryoma, which are awful), are still really overrated mostly because they're royal/royal and also possibly eugenics-friendly. I also felt the parallels between the Hoshido and Nohr siblings were a little forced in general, so that's another reason.

Selena/Tsubaki, which my reasons for disliking have already been stated repeatedly. I would have maybe been more okay with it if Selena had more visibly gotten over her issues with her mother. She has much better chemistry with Hinata and Laurent, but he isn't in Fates, and Tsubaki is my preferred f!Corrin partner and otherwise has better chemistry with Sakura.

Peri/Laslow, which is basically a gender flipped "pure girl redeems asshole boy" couple, except even worse because Peri is literally unable to be changed for the better due to her psychopathy, regardless of the game's attempts to convince us otherwise. I suspect it's only popular because it's similar to Henry/Olivia, except Peri lacks any of the redeeming qualities that made Henry likable.

Edited by AzureSen

I strongly dislike Kamui/Xander and I just cannot fathom why this ship is so popular.

No chemestry whatsover(all they do is talk about their sword training wtf). Westermarck effect is a thing and the S-support is horrible. You can make a case for every sibling but Xander is the worst offender. Fangirls love to shove it down your throat how he is the best husband ever, it's seriously annoying me. Everytime I see fanart of those 2 I just think "Oh another one".

Also Xander is a coward and a hypocite in the story.

Edited by RadiantDragon

Ahh okay. Wow, I had no idea about the unique child support. I knew about the extra supports, though, but I figured it was because of the different games and Azura is the other main character. That's pretty telling. But honestly, taking story dialogue or any other dialogue out of context because of gender isn't the games' fault there. As a female, I tried so hard not to cry at the end because of Azura. I'm pretty sure that's all they were trying to accomplish there, as far as that's concerned.

And yeah I should've been more specific. Corrin seems bland in their supports, and maybe I used "emotionless" a bit wrong here. It's just that when Corrin does show emotion, it seems sort of forced? Speaking about the supports again. They definitely had emotion in the story, though.

I thought it was because of the different games, too, but then I remembered Corrin has the same support regardless of route with the other neutrals. So they COULD have written a support that would fit all routes for Azura, they just chose not to. But my point about gender context was referring to how a relationship between characters is portrayed/seen by the audience, not how the audience feels about the character themselvses. I'm a female too, and I definitely teared up at the end of Birthright. They wanted to make the player attached to her and, for me, they succeeded.

I get where you're coming from on the "forced emotion in supports" part. It's particularly notable in their S-supports, because they have to make love and marriage come out of something that was mostly Corrin just listening to someone else talk. The only first-gen supports of theirs I'm really fond of are characters they already have a pre-existing relationship with (basically the neutrals and the royals) because they don't need to do all that introduction silliness and have more natural interactions. And I've already established I dislike Corrin's pairings with the royals :P

Edited by Abvora

Because Takumi has a lot of insecurities? That was honestly a nice touch for me, because someone like Takumi wouldn't make the first move normally, so it makes sense that he didn't approach her before.

Honestly, I could say the same about Silas/Oboro (I'm just using that as an example since you previously mentioned it) regarding chemistry, in that aside from helping her overcome her prejudice in the most ridiculously fast and Silas-shilling way they have absolutely zero chemistry to me. Takumi is shown to explicitly trust and value her as a retainer, goes out of his way to help her achieve her dreams, is very kind to her, in general seems to be comfortable around her and enjoy her company, and she already has feelings for him and enjoys being around him. That, to me, shows way more chemistry and romantic compatibility than any of Silas and Oboro's interactions. But, to each their own. EDIT: Res basically said it way better than I could.

I said that thing about him not approaching her to be funny. I then followed up with something silly about that being proof for him and Mozu being canon. LOL.

As for me shipping Silas and Oboro, I like it mainly because I like Sophie with blue hair, her parent support with Sophie where she is teasing her and the fact that she is the only way for Silas and Sophie to get Lancefaire without buying it. Right? I could be wrong about that.

Now, my personal favorite hubby for Oboro is Benny for several reasons, mainly because her hate for Nohrians isn't necessarily brought up but also due to the S-rank (which is ironic because I am under the belief that the love confession S-ranks ruin entire support chains). I felt a certain resonance with Benny because I can personally relate to shaking so badly in front of one's crush that they thought one was having a seizure. Plus, Iggy looks cute with blue hair.

On another note, I said earlier that a lot of supports are weak because the characters bond over stupid crap, then proceed to confess love and marriage with that as the basis of their relationship. So, when you get one like Takumi X Oboro--where the characters already have history with each other--it's okay that they bond over simple crap because it's already established that there is more to their relationship than that. The rest of the cast don't have that (other than Saizou X Kagero, which I've already established that I'm not fond of) and it makes S-ranks appear awkward and forced.

Like you said, though, it's all about personal preference and interpretation.

Yeah, Lady Corrin & Azura have the exact same supports.

I actually do like the Corrin/Leo S-rank and think it's Leo's best S-rank, to the point where I honestly wonder if one of the writers shipped them. He's not my favourite character (I mean, I like him, but he'd probably top a list of overrated characters). I've not done Corrin/Xander yet but on paper at least I can see the appeal. I think claiming all the Corrin/royal siblings fans are just self-inserting is belittling to players.

I'm sorry if you felt like I belittled you, but I never said exactly this. Lol. I said mostly everyone who has Corrin marry any character they like self-inserts in a way, because they just want to see them in their Private Quarters or get the extra dialogue which might be satisfying to them. That doesn't mean the support was good or bad.

I was trying to defend and come up with a possible reason why people would marry the siblings, since this is attacked a lot. I see a lot of people saying "marrying your siblings is gross!" but the player probably doesn't even care about that.I mean, it's not like the player is actually Corrin. Lol. They might just like Leo and Xander and think they're cute or whatever. Of course this isn't the only reason, but let's be honest, this is a common reason and I don't think anyone needs to feel ashamed of it or needs to be ridiculed because of it.

Also I personally think Leo and Xander's S supports are okay and nothing amazing. They actually feel kind of awkward to me. This is just personal preference.

I get where you're coming from on the "forced emotion in supports" part. It's particularly notable in their S-supports, because they have to make love and marriage come out of something that was mostly Corrin just listening to someone else talk. The only first-gen supports of theirs I'm really fond of are characters they already have a pre-existing relationship with (basically the neutrals and the royals) because they don't need to do all that introduction silliness and have more natural interactions. And I've already established I dislike Corrin's pairings with the royals :P

Yup, the royals and neutrals are some of my favorites with Corrin too. (: I also like their supports with Mozu and Oboro, just off the top of my head. I haven't seen either of their S supports, though.

I see 'em in pairing help threads more often than I like.

I also do not care for these ships, short of optimizing for endgame.

Edited by eclipse

I don't like a lot of Corn ships myself, if not all. They have bad chemistry with a lot of characters. I was lucky I found her support with Azama, the unit I married, okay, and a good base for a better support for a better, naive character, but overall it's a lot of boring supports with a boring character.

There have been Robin supports I loved like Robin/Gregor and Robin/Olivia, but all Corn supports I've read were bad or utterly mediocre, boring. Maybe Kaze was the best one, but I haven't seen their S support.

Maybe it's simply because I really dislike Corn.

My least favorite Corns are probably Corn/Niles (both Corns) (as other said it's exposition and then romance; plus for me Arthur/Niles is much better), Corn/Royal (especially the brothers), and maybe Corn/Jakob.

So far I only really done in-game Birthright pairs. I have been content and surprised by a lot of my bland choices (Retainer/Retainer, everyone!), and I was satisfied by their romance a lot, buuut...

Azura/Takumi has such a bad S support. So much for the nice conversation and healing him multiple times.

Setsuna/Anybody all seem so unromantic. Funny, but there is no chemistry. I put her with Kaze and the S support was just weird.

But, anyway, since we are talking overrated:

Benny/Beruka goes nowhere.

Leo/Takumi I don't like because those guys to me seem very much into women (Leo unconciously lusting for Camilla, Takumi it's an impression he gives me and I can't pinpoint it easily-- I guess it's the nightmares about his mother's death, they give me the feeling he needs a wife close to him that can reassure him).

Laslow/Peri is cheesy and as much as I like her who would let Peri reproduce.

Soleil/Ophelia seems too one sided sadly. They get a lot of cute art though.

Hayato/Sakura was not very romantic, but at least Shara is pretty good.

Ryoma/Kagero was boring. Is this a popular pair? Shiro rocks though.

Jakob/Felicia was not romantic at all.

Orochi/Hayato, I really dislike this one. I hate shotacon and she deserves better than Dicken 2.0.

I also don't see a lot of Takumi/Oboro around. It's an okay couple but I prefer Oboro/Hinata. At first I wanted her with Takumi but then her supports with Hinata sealed the deal for me. It was very sweet and it did not feel like settling for me, just loving somebody for their imperfections.

• 2 weeks later...

I adore Corrin/Leo for several reasons. Their S support is adorable, I like the idea of Forrest being Kana's big brother, and it actually makes perfect sense considering Corrin is implied to be Robin's past life and most of the support involves Leo giving Corrin lessons about strategy.

For couples I don't like, I don't feel comfortable pairing Elise with anyone for obvious reasons. Also I found Takumi/Oboro rather bland.

Edited by Sky Knight Subaki