Overrated Ships

CureRainbow

Flora and Joker, and they don't even have a support. Just because she likes him doesn't mean they'd be cute together, in fact I think it'd be one hell of an ugly relationship, same as with Camilla and Takumi.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like ElisexOdin, for the sole reason, Elise is (so far) the only one who actually joins Odin in the whole "dramatic speech" thing.

The rest seems to be annoyed at it, (like your MU, I hate MUxOdin with a passion)

XanderxCharlotte is also meh, great pairup stats and that's it.

Corrin/Takumi: I get why Takumi is a popular character, but personally I never found that as reason enough to want to marry anyone, and the fact that it's the main reason he's a popular marriage choice just baffles me. He hardly has a meaningful relationship with her, in story and supports, and the latter makes no sense given how Takumi has already become more trusting in both of his recruitments, why is he back to being so harsh? Thankfully the localization changed the end of the A-Support so that it's more apparent that Takumi's warmed up to her, but even then I still believe it gets more love than it deserves.

Corrin/Silas: This one's a bit borderline: on one hand, it's definitely one of Silas' better supports from a chemistry standpoint, especially given how mediocre/bad a lot of his others are, but because he's given the worst treatment of all the neutral males (e.g. near identical recruitment for all three routes and joins the latest in Revelation with nonexistent story involvement), his relationship with Corrin becomes less compelling, even worse considering that's one of his DEFINING CHARACTER TRAITS. It's better in Conquest with more screentime dedicated to Silas and Corrin's interactions, but overall it isn't enough.

Edited by Corbin

Of the popular ones don't like:

Xander x Charlotte

Saizo x Kagero

These two as stated on previous posts.

Camilla x Keaton becauae there is no chemistry between them, I think she's better with Niles or Laslow.

Lazlow x Peri

Beruka x Benny

Kaze x Azura

I don't know if it's popular but I have seen a lot Silas x Selena which it's actually my most disliked paring for this game, because I don't like him very much and the only pairings I accept for him are Beruka, Mozu, Rinkah and maybe Nyx.

People do OdinxElise for the stats? I thought it was because her hair looks the most like Odin/Lissa. But anyways, I was going to do the pair myself, but it became mainstream(dumb excuse). I generally like the support convos tho.

I like SoleilxOpheila as besties but not a pair, cause the latter isn't implied bisexual. SoleilxNina>SolielxOpheila tho.

I'm will never do OboroxTakumi, KageroxSaizo, or any of the royalsxretainers/retainersxretainers out of principle. I did PerixXander and that support was meh. RyomaxKagero seems like a good one that I'd do tho.

NyxXHayoto and Selenaxsubaki will also never happen, because I don't need to be reminded about what inspired the kids.

I think people only do BerukaxSaizo because of the C support. I never even heard about the other supports, just that.

NilesxM!Corrin. Y'all thirsty children need Jesus.

M!CorrinxAzura. I like the supports, and I can relate to Shigure and wouldn't mind him being my irl child, but the game gave it away to much for me.

And, unpopular opinion, ScarletxRyoma and FloraxJakob. I hate how FE stories just give away the love interest, and ScarletxRyoma is no exception. Also, why just those two? I'd love to she how she'd interact with Hinata or Oboro. And Jakob is a douche that doesn't deserve Flora.

Also, I'm honestly surprised that no one does AzuraxLazlow a lot. Both dance, the supports are interesting, and there can be a bunch of scenarios via fanart/fanfiction.

Edited by SageHarpuiaJDJ

overrated is a shitty dumb word

i'll just go with corn x anyone because i feel like almost all their supports feel sort of... emotionless???

The only one I can think of that seems popular is OboroxTakumi which, although I'm not opposed to, I'd rather pair them up with other people...

mostly because Oboro's crush on Takumi is apparent and I'm heartless.

I also don't consider pairings that don't even exist in the game to be overrated.

Talking strictly writing-wise:

Like a number of other people here, I'll list Oboro/Takumi. I didn't think they had much chemistry. And I'd far rather see Oboro with someone who helps her work through her racism issues (e.g. Silas), and Takumi with someone who will help him grow past his childish behaviour (though I'm not really certain who the best candidate would be).

Selena/Subaki on the other hand, is a pairing I would really like... except that Selena giving birth to an expy of her mother is just too weird for me. Genetically it makes perfect sense for Caeldori to look like her grandmother, and if it were just the look (e.g. how Ophelia looks a little like Lissa) I'd be fine with it, but Caeldori is far too close to actually being Cordelia in terms of personality, and it just feels strange. Then again I'm not very happy with Caeldori/Asugi/Rhajat's existence to start with.

The only one I can think of that seems popular is OboroxTakumi which, although I'm not opposed to, I'd rather pair them up with other people...

mostly because Oboro's crush on Takumi is apparent and I'm heartless.

I also don't consider pairings that don't even exist in the game to be overrated.

I must be heartless as well. In the months having the game, I have paired Takumi with Oboro a grand total of one time. They were not even truly together as it was merely to fill in the support log; the file was promptly deleted afterwards :)

Azura has some pretty all right supports but the fact that she disappears in multiple endings and her spouse could not care less about her being gone is a turn off. It is not that hard to create a scene with her variable husband with some generic dialogue; they made the mother-child supports. Is it too much of a leap to ask for a scene that actually acknowledges something canon?

At least in Revelation, she can disappear with Laslow or Odin to Awakening world. Right?

M!Corrin X Azura is also not a favorite and it isn't because of the incest. LOL. I just don't like when a game offers choices yet tries to subliminally push another pairing to me. Defeats the entire point of making a choice, though, I suppose it could be passable because Azura is a relatively important character.

why am i contributing to this

i don't like anything with corrin because a) corrin is everywhere and b) the actual supports were okay but did feel a little lackluster in varieties.

essentially this

i'll just go with corn x anyone because i feel like almost all their supports feel sort of... emotionless???

why am i contributing to this

Same here, but somehow, I just... can't hold myself back

I don't know anything about overrated, but if I had to pick one pair I really don't get the appeal of, its Elise/Odin. I mean, yeah, their supports are pretty cute, but... Elise's supports (at least the ones I've seen so far) are all pretty cute, so that's a moot point. And from a gameplay perspective, I don't really see the appeal, either.

Ophelia gets a -2 on her Defence from this pairing, which is pretty awful, considering you're playing Conquest where survivabilty counts above everything else (at least to me.)

I much prefer Odin with Felicia from a gameplay standpoint, because it evens out her Defence and gives an additional two points in Skill, while Elise gives zero, all in exchange for one point less in Magic and Luck. Heck, Felicia even gives her the same class set (Troubadour), so even that is a non-factor.

And if we don't factor in skills bought from My Castle, you can get Tomebreaker on Ophelia pretty fast, so that's a plus, too.

If anyone could tell me what gameplay factor makes Elise!Ophelia better than Felicia!Ophelia (aside from that measly one Magic and Luck point), I'd be happy to listen.

I don't know anything about any other pairing, but I'll say this to seal my death warrant:

Why do people ship Leo and Takumi? The two have, like, zero interaction throughout all of Birthright and Conquest and if they do, its only death threats and/or insults.

And Takumi is a prick anyway, so there's that.

Edited by DragonFlames

Pairings that I don't like:

Royal Pairings in Revelations:

RyomaxCamilla/Elise

TakumixElise/Camilla

XanderxHinoka/Sakura

LeoxSakura/Hinoka

Selena x Subaki. Because refuse to acknowledge that Selena!Caeldori is fucking canon and I'm sticking by my Hinoka!Caeldori decision.

Takumi x Oboro. Not really a huge fan since I normally go for Oboro!Shiro. Plus Takumi doesn't get any new class... : /

Saizo x Kagero. Because they broke up for a reason btw...

Felicia x Jakob. Both better off seeing other people then each other.

To answer your question, a lot of parallels between Leo and Takumi, they end up being friends in Revelation, plus

Leo saves Takumi's life

And in their Japanese A-support, Takumi says something along the lines of 'we should not end this bond with mere friendship' (this doesn't exist in their English support).

Not my ship but those are the reasons why.

Anyway, I didn't consider Corrin/Silas before but I guess it did top the Corrin pairings poll. I mostly dislike it because it's really boring. I did it first then almost instantly regretted it because their S-support & treehouse lines are the blandest I've experienced in the game.

To answer your question, a lot of parallels between Leo and Takumi, they end up being friends in Revelation, plus

Leo saves Takumi's life

And in their Japanese A-support, Takumi says something along the lines of 'we should not end this bond with mere friendship' (this doesn't exist in their English support).

Not my ship but those are the reasons why.

Anyway, I didn't consider Corrin/Silas before but I guess it did top the Corrin pairings poll. I mostly dislike it because it's really boring. I did it first then almost instantly regretted it because their S-support & treehouse lines are the blandest I've experienced in the game.

Ah, I see. So it's a Revelations thing, then? No wonder I haven't seen it yet.

I have to agree with you on the Corrin/Silas. I've read their supports (Not S, since I haven't played as a female yet) and it seems like a clichéd childhood romance story, which I am not quite fond of, to be honest.

It would be a matter of time before every single possible ship in Fates sets sail for the "Overrated" category for at least one player... with several sinking before setting sail.

Oooo, I like this.

Takumi x Oboro-I don't see the romance. The only thing I like about it is that her unrequited love is not as overplayed as Cordelia's. I much prefer Oboro with Niles, Benny, Silas or Hinata and Takumi with Hana or Azura.

Corrin x Silas-At first I liked it, but it was just so overplayed that I just hate it now.

Corrin x any sibling-I don't mind incest personally, I mean I watch GoT religiously for God sakes, but it just rubs me the wrong way, probably cause they still call each other siblings.

Kagero x Saizo-It's really bland. I mean, the fact they have history is cool, but I think it should stay like that, history.

Leo x Takumi-Yeah, no.

Camilla x Hinoka-I just hate it so much.

Elise x Sakura-Again, I despise this.

Azura x Niles-I just find them better as friends, not spouses.

Royal x Retainer-I also just don't like this.

Corrin x Azura-I shipped it at first for a while, but now I am just done. I don't like it.

Shiro x Caeldori-I don't get it personally. I much prefer Shiro x Nina.

I think that is it.

More ships I forgot. These aren't super-popular, but I do dislike them and see them too often for my tastes:

Hayato x Nyx: Great gameplay, but their supports were just kind of underwhelming for me.

Kaze x Azura: This is like the above in that the gameplay is good, but the supports weren't. Kaze slipped in and out of being formal and being teasing too much, and Azura opened up too fast to someone she's never spoken to before.

M!Corrin x Niles: I get people are happy to finally have gay pairings available, and I'm glad for you, but I just wasn't feeling the chemistry with their supports. It's pretty much Niles just expositioning about his backstory while Corrin nods and listens. Even the JPN S-support pointed out that the sudden "I like you" came out of nowhere.

And the big, super-popular one:

Leo x Takumi: I dislike shipping people outside their sexuality. I especially dislike it when people do it because they think male-on-male or female-on-female is hot. And since the only bi characters in the game are Corrin, Niles, Rhajat, and Soleil, things like Ophelia x Soleil, F!Corrin x Azura, M!Corrin x Silas, etc, earn my ire, but none more than Leo x Takumi. Because it is EVERYWHERE and mostly seems to be a case of "they're hot boys who argue, let's pair them and write steamy yaoi hatesex~", especially on Ao3. Their supports were actually nice, but I can't enjoy them anymore because of the yaoi fangirls.

Leokumi was actually my OTP before the American release, but then the American release happened and it's been everywhere and I'm kind of getting sick of it. I still like it, but I won't actively search for it.

The only one I dislike so far is Coorin/Silas mainly because I find Silas to be an extremely boring character.

Wow, so many people dislike Takumi/Oboro, if so then why did the couple won in the pairings poll by a landslide?

Because its overrated.

I mean, I can't speak for the majority. I just personally don't see the appeal of the couple through their support with each other (also counting what they pass to their children). Oboro having initial feelings for Takumi is irrelevant, in my opinion, but that seems to be the main initiative for people to pair them together. It is very similar to Saizou X Kagero in that manner; there are two characters that apparently have some kind of romantic history but, when you do the support, there is essentially nothing to show for it--again, in my opinion.

I don't know. There seems to be this precedent that characters need to have some kind of history with each other to have a "logical" relationship but I just don't agree.

At one point in time, the two people were strangers towards each other--just like any other person. They met, gradually drew closer to each other and, from there, something happened to change their relationship. Considering the life or death situations the characters are thrown into, I wouldn't be surprised if they found themselves growing extremely close to the people watching out for them when on the battlefield. Granted, where they go from there, is up to debate.

Also, it could be how the support system is structured. The way supports are written, it makes it seem that the characters are bonding and falling in love over trivial, idiotic things. Adding in the bullbull S-rank where they immediately jump into love and marriage, it doesn't really help in that case.

So, I guess that's the answer. People like Takumi X Oboro because the relationship doesn't come out of "nowhere"; Oboro has been Takumi's retainer for a very long time in the narrative, allowing time for a relationship to possibly spawn between them.

That still doesn't allow me to see the chemistry that they supposedly have. According to their support, Takumi has always known Oboro's feelings towards him. Why did he wait so long if he felt the same way about her?

See. Proofs Takumi X KILLager is canon.

Because its overrated.

I mean, I can't speak for the majority. I just personally don't see the appeal of the couple through their support with each other (also counting what they pass to their children). Oboro having initial feelings for Takumi is irrelevant, in my opinion, but that seems to be the main initiative for people to pair them together. It is very similar to Saizou X Kagero in that manner; there are two characters that apparently have some kind of romantic history but, when you do the support, there is essentially nothing to show for it--again, in my opinion.

I don't know. There seems to be this precedent that characters need to have some kind of history with each other to have a "logical" relationship but I just don't agree.

At one point in time, the two people were strangers towards each other--just like any other person. They met, gradually drew closer to each other and, from there, something happened to change their relationship. Considering the life or death situations the characters are thrown into, I wouldn't be surprised if they found themselves growing extremely close to the people watching out for them when on the battlefield. Granted, where they go from there, is up to debate.

Also, it could be how the support system is structured. The way supports are written, it makes it seem that the characters are bonding and falling in love over trivial, idiotic things. Adding in the bullbull S-rank where they immediately jump into love and marriage, it doesn't really help in that case.

So, I guess that's the answer. People like Takumi X Oboro because the relationship doesn't come out of "nowhere"; Oboro has been Takumi's retainer for a very long time in the narrative, allowing time for a relationship to possibly spawn between them.

That still doesn't allow me to see the chemistry that they supposedly have. According to their support, Takumi has always known Oboro's feelings towards him. Why did he wait so long if he felt the same way about her?

See. Proofs Takumi X KILLager is canon.

Because he's a sperg. A likable sperg, but a sperg nonetheless.

Honestly, all of y'all are just proving that Takumi/Oboro isn't overrated. I don't even see a lot of fanworks of them. On the contrary, I get the impression that people who like them are content to not shove it into anyone's faces and just like it without needing to produce fanwork of it.

Really, the only pairing that's overrated is Leon/Takumi. IT'S EVERYWHERE. I don't even dislike it, but it seriously is everywhere. It's the Ike/Soren, the Sirius/Lupin, the Riku/Sora, of the FE fandom.