Does incest have a place in Fire Emblem?

With characters such as Eirika and Ephraim, Priscilla and Raven, and the entirety of FE4, does incest have a place in Fire Emblem? Are there stories to be made, or is it a cheap shock? Is it abusive?

This is something I've been curious about for a long time, especially with the lack of incestuous relationships even being implied in recent titles.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is literally no incestuous implications between Eirika and Ephraim. The only way you could possibly interpret any of their interactions (mainly their C support, since that's where most Eirphraim shipping comes from) as romantic is if your mind is stuck deep in the gutter.

Incest should really not be in FE, especially considering how if there is ever going to be any actual incest in the series again it's going to be for fetish pandering and not for anything that really has any reason to be in the game.

Edited by kantoorfarina

> The entirety of FE4

That one pairing that was part of the plot whereas the rest were optional?

Looks like someone's never played FE4 before.

Anyway, depends on how it's handled in a story that would have it, for whyever it would.

Edited by Soledai

As any sort of taboo theme, incest can be done if handled well (see: Fire Emblem 4).

If it is a means to pander to some portion of the fanbase, though, it's best left alone. What they did in the Jugdral games was already very good.

incest was not handled well in fe4, it was shoehorned in for the weirdest reason and was creepy as fuck

the others do not exist, period

everything that the fe fandom talks about incest either does not exist or was not well-handled, end of story

incest was not handled well in fe4, it was shoehorned in for the weirdest reason and was creepy as fuck

"Reviving the dark god" is not "the weirdest reason," when that's the ultimate purpose of the enemy faction. I don't think it was meant to be anything but creepy in the end, and it was only creepy because of how Manfroy did it, not because of how Arvis handled it (given he was basically ignorant of the circumstances).

I mean how would we all define "well-handled"? Because if it's something that's portrayed as flat-out wrong like it was in FE4 then sure, it is consistent with being taboo. If it's sorta glorified like in Fates then it's probably not well-handled.

I mean, it was creepy, but the creepy part was that Manfroy kidnapped Deirdre and brainwashed her/forced her to marry Arvis. Arvis had no idea she was kidnapped, no idea she was his half-sister, and actually fell in love with her even though it was ultimately arranged by Manfroy. I hardly think this is something we can simply say "end of story" to if you didn't really explain why it was poorly handled or shoehorned in.

fe4 is still the best instance of it being handled

note: fe4 is the only instance that I know

though seriously i'll take it over fates "your totally-not-actually-sister's kinda hot" tbh. at least it was actually part of the main story - so why do you say it's shoehorned in?

Edited by Tryhard

Whilst kinda squicky, I very much agree with the notion that FE4 handled it better, since it had a goal in mind of essentially reviving Satan. The game itself actually mentions that incest is a pretty taboo thing to do in one of the chapter 4 villages. Fates' "they're not your siblings really so bang them" kind of detracts from the whole family theme that we were presented with initially.

it's hilarious to joke about but no, incest should have no place in any game

eirika and ephraim, to me, was just two siblings who love each other in a nonsexual way. yknow, like /normal siblings/. the incest of the c support wasn't really incest lol

I'm not really sure why people would think Erika and Ephraim or Raven and Priscilla could be leaning towards incest, since they can't marry I don't think. I don't really have an opinion on FE4 since I haven't played it.

It's Fates that I think needs to be considered, because in terms of what it adds to the story, it spoils a surprise that should be saved for Revelations I guess, and the game doesn't make a big deal out of it, which it should because it's not something to be taken so lightly. In my opinion, marrying anyone in your family, adopted or not, is incest, so overall it's just a cheap way to cater to fans of the royal family who aren't content with sibling love (for some reason...).

NO. Definitely not. The only exception I would make is a case like Deirdre and Arvis, where the former was stolen away from Sigurd and married to the latter against her will. Deirdre was under some kind of trance and didn't even have any memories of Sigurd and Seliph left, if I remember right (never played FE4, so I'm just trying to remember what I've seen others say about its plot). If it's done for reasonable plot reasons like this, I can excuse it.

But forced incest that has no reason to be there is just disgusting.

Edited by Anacybele

Ok first of all having played through FE 7 and 8 many times and gotten all supports there is no incest in the Erika and Emphaim or the Priscilla and Raven supports what so ever, OP it sounds like you have not played or read the supports for either game otherwise you would not have listed those supports. I have never played FE 4 but from the supports I have looked at there is only one that is forced on the player while the player can avoid any others if they want. Fates has a badly written story that gets around most of the supports that would be considered incest except one and it was handled rather poorly, it sounds like FE 4 did it much better. I would rather IS go back to making the supports like in the GBA games, where there are friend, sibling, and romantic endings myself and leave kids out of the next game.

I belive people thinks of Raven and Priscilla as an incest pair because in one of their support - if I remember correctly - she mention that Raven, in their childhood, gave her a ring and told her that she would be her spouse or something like this.

Btw, I would allow incest only if it was a part of the story like in FE4. Intead, if it's just something to satisfy some fans, then no. Just no.

There is literally no incestuous implications between Eirika and Ephraim. The only way you could possibly interpret any of their interactions (mainly their C support, since that's where most Eirphraim shipping comes from) as romantic is if your mind is stuck deep in the gutter.

Pretty much. But, hey now. Let's not ruin their deluded little minds. I mean, it's not like we're any short of shitfics. :smug:

Out of the examples above, only FE4 does. But fuck that game, it has no sense of morality.

I belive people thinks of Raven and Priscilla as an incest pair because in one of their support - if I remember correctly - she mention that Raven, in their childhood, gave her a ring and told her that she would be her spouse or something like this.

Btw, I would allow incest only if it was a part of the story like in FE4. Intead, if it's just something to satisfy some fans, then no. Just no.

Key quote: "It was a child's game."

Priscilla: You have forgotten… That is too bad. When I was young… When I was with you in Cornwell… You made a promise to me, brother. You said: When I grew larger, you’d take me as your bride.

Raven: Yes, but, surely… Priscilla… ?

Priscilla: Yes, I know. It was a child’s game. So you said to me as I cried and cried… And then you gave me this ring.

Key quote: "It was a child's game."

Priscilla: You have forgotten… That is too bad. When I was young… When I was with you in Cornwell… You made a promise to me, brother. You said: When I grew larger, you’d take me as your bride.

Raven: Yes, but, surely… Priscilla… ?

Priscilla: Yes, I know. It was a child’s game. So you said to me as I cried and cried… And then you gave me this ring.

So, because they are remembering how they played as children, does that immediatly mean incest? I swear, this fanbase sometimes creeps me the hell out

There is no incest between Eirika and Ephraim or Raven and Priscilla...

Anyway, no. Definitely not. The ONLY time it worked was in FE4, for all the reasons already stated by others.

I haven't played Fates yet, but I do know about how you can marry your siblings/not-siblings...that's gross. Nope nope nope.

Incest does not 'have a place' in FE.

Incest should be in the next Fire Emblem game as a part of the plot. Maybe low key throw it in as a cultural aspect of a kingdom or something. I don't see why people are disgusted with mere mentions of incest but are completely okay watching innocent people getting slaughtered.

Incest should be in the next Fire Emblem game as a part of the plot. Maybe low key throw it in as a cultural aspect of a kingdom or something. I don't see why people are disgusted with mere mentions of incest but are completely okay watching innocent people getting slaughtered.

I didn't mention my opinion in the OP because I wanted to start it neutrally, but yeah, I agree with this completely. Most Fire Emblem games have you slaughter literally hundreds of nameless mooks (besides Fates, where you're either incapacitating most of the time). It seems a bit petty to say that (possibly, not for sure) ruining a family has the same weight as definitely ruining, once again, literal hundreds of families. I'm just neutral to it, really.

I think once people enter war they're not innocent; they entered the military expecting to fight, and knew exactly what they were in for.

If the MCs are razing villages and it's portrayed as okay, then that's entirely different. The villagers didn't sign up for the war, but I don't think there's ever a scenario in FE where this was not seen as okay.