Does incest have a place in Fire Emblem?

I think once people enter war they're not innocent; they entered the military expecting to fight, and knew exactly what they were in for.

If the MCs are razing villages and it's portrayed as okay, then that's entirely different. The villagers didn't sign up for the war, but I don't think there's ever a scenario in FE where this was not seen as okay.

I'm attacking the people who are anti-mentionsofincest but play a game that shows slaughter of innocents. It's hypocritical and makes me question their values.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the incest that's part of the plot in FE4 is OK with me. In general I don't object to incest existing in fiction in general, it's something that happens in the real world so it's not unreasonable to depict it in fiction. But it's not the kind of thing I expect FE to handle in a really interesting or effective way. Honestly in FE4 I think the incest aspect of Alvis/Deirdre is just kind of there. Don't really care about it. They could be distant cousins w/ lopt family blood and it'd make almost no difference - it's more the byproduct of the backstory of Alvis's dad killing himself when Cigyun commits adultery with prince whoever, I guess. The fact that she was kidnapped and brainwashed by Manfroy is much worse.

In general incest is not something I expect IS to use to good effect, but I'm not up in arms against it appearing (again).

I'm attacking the people who are anti-mentionsofincest but play a game that shows slaughter of innocents. It's hypocritical and makes me question their values.

Almost everyone here is against incest being in the games because it would be implemented as stupid fetish pandering which has no reason to be in the games, not because they're offended by it.

But you're not slaughtering innocent people in every FE game except maybe Fates Conquest, you're slaughtering people in the military or bandit squads. These are not innocent people. They are directly involved in the war and they are going to suffer the consequences from the war as a result of their involvement. They would be innocent if they were a) conscripted (most of the time they are not) or b) civilians.

But you're not slaughtering innocent people in every FE game except maybe Fates Conquest, you're slaughtering people in the military or bandit squads. These are not innocent people. They are directly involved in the war and they are going to suffer the consequences from the war as a result of their involvement. They would be innocent if they were a) conscripted (most of the time they are not) or b) civilians.

And are players forced to make character do incestuous sexual acts? I don't think so.

And are players forced to make character do incestuous sexual acts? I don't think so.

That's the most ridiculous logic ever.

Why should we agree to have this weird fetishes for no reason? What would they add to the game?

Thanks God Nintendo will never publish such a thing. Creeps

Um, fighting against the enemies and killing them is the whole point of playing FE. Incest isn't. And yeah, people aren't saying no to it simply because of being offended, they're saying no because it would just be fetish pandering unless it was plot reasons like in FE4.

Edited by Anacybele

Pfft, no.

NONE of the FE plots/stories are good enough to handle incest well. FE4 tried, and failed. Fates' "they're adopted so it doesn't count" is handled poorly.

I'd work on making a good plot/story/characters, and pulling off regular romances first (which is also really hard).

How is your point relevant to mine?

Reread the conversation.

Um, fighting against the enemies and killing them is the whole point of playing FE. Incest isn't. And yeah, people aren't saying no to it simply because of being offended, they're saying no because it would just be fetish pandering unless it was plot reasons like in FE4.

I'm just calling people out. How are mentions of incest worse than watching innocent people get slaughtered? I don't see it.

And killing innocent people isn't the point of Fire Emblem. Facing off against a capable enemy army is.

I blame the legend of Arthur for all this incest. FE took many things from Arthurian legend, so I guess it was just part of the package.

Reread the conversation.

I'm just calling people out. How are mentions of incest worse than watching innocent people get slaughtered? I don't see it.

And killing innocent people isn't the point of Fire Emblem. Facing off against a capable enemy army is.

That is not the point of the thread, mate. You want to discuss the morality issues regarding incest compared to crimes of war, which is irrelvant here.

The thread asks if there's place for incest in FE.

FE is a light-hearted strategy game were "slaughtering your foes" is your goal. Not hitting on your sister/brother.

I blame the legend of Arthur for all this incest. FE took many things from Arthurian legend, so I guess it was just part of the package.

For a second, I thought you meant FE14 Arthur, and I was incredibly confused.

There's also a dude named Arthur in FE4, IIRC. . .which makes things all the weirder. . .

IS can barely handle a normal story without it, I don't think they could with it.

I, don't have a problem with incest on fiction, as long as it is done right. So far, IS has not done that since FE4 just failed at it IMO and Fates, well, yeah. However if we got an amazing story that featured it, I would not mind, but for now, hell no.

At least he didn't name his son Mordred. :D

Regardless of whether or not it has been in the series with before (which is has). I'm not particular sure why someone would want it in there. Honestly the pseudo-incest in Fates was quite terrible itself. So I would only think IS would have something like that in future games if it was for pandering.... which I hope is not the case. From what I gather about FE4, the forced incestuous relationship gave birth to someone who was practically Satan. Therefore kind of implies that incest is a bad thing..... yet if you let your own units you are related to get married, then your child can use holy weapons technically. Oops

Regardless of whether or not it has been in the series with before (which is has). I'm not particular sure why someone would want it in there. Honestly the pseudo-incest in Fates was quite terrible itself. So I would only think IS would have something like that in future games if it was for pandering.... which I hope is not the case. From what I gather about FE4, the forced incestuous relationship gave birth to someone who was practically Satan. Therefore kind of implies that incest is a bad thing..... yet if you let your own units you are related to get married, then your child can use holy weapons technically. Oops

I guess the moral is that incest isn't bad but cultivating the blood of satan is?

Also re Erika and Ephraim, their legendary weapons are named after incestous twins in norse mythology. Just sayin.

Edited by Jotari

While if handled with nuance and care I'm not opposed to seeing specific occurrences limited to specific characters, given that real people who do that exist and fiction draws from real life, FE doesn't exactly do a good job with the care required to handle it given its history. So I'd rather not.

Incest should definitely be in FE IF a nation is based on Achaemenid, Parthian, or Sassanid Iran, all of which were Zoroastrian and all of whom had Shahs who pretty consistently fucked their sisters. If should be noted that this didn't result in horrible genetic diseases or anything, in general. Otherwise, no incest. I do, though, want to see an FE nation based on Zoroastrian Iran.

People here are unusually squeamish about incest. It's part of human history and could be used as interesting characterization or world building, provided it isn't just around for fetishizing as it was in Fates.

As for the people saying FE4 has the only real incest in Fire Emblem, y'all are forgetting about all the cousin incest in Awakening and Fates, including

Azura x Corrin, aka the most pushed pairing in the game.

The attitude that IS "shouldn't include X in the next Fire Emblem because they always muck everything up" really grinds my gears.

Does it?

The only explicit incest we see is in FE4, then we have Lachesis' obsession with her brother, Ares being her son in a beta version of the game, and the character she spawned, Priscilla, who also is obsessed with her brother, but thankfully it amounts to nothing.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Lachesis, or how Lakche, who is her mother with short hair (looks wise), can marry her uncle(brother of her mother) and get a conversation too. Yikes.

Anyway, for me, I'd say no. The only game with actual incest and not just speculation (like Eirika x Ephraim), is FE4, and Jugdral is very gritty and tries to take inspiration from history. It has patricide, abusive and manipulative royal families, child hunts, children being put to fight eachother to death to please an evil god, bad parenting, men IN YOUR ARMY who sleep around and have multiple children with different women... basically, it only belongs in the dark world of Jugdral.

The other istances of incest in other FE games is either cousins (which is a moot point in Japan, it's legal and not weird over there), fanservice for people who are not related in any way to the characters (the players) and people taking things too far.