An Analysis of the Cultural Inspirations for Nohr and Hoshido

Lightchao42

I'm sure we all know (well, I hope we do) that Nohr and Hoshido are based on medieval Europe and Japan, but how much influence did these cultures have on the two kingdoms, really? Fortunately, there is an answer!

Since I have nothing better to do, I felt the need to share these videos with you, anonymous reader, because knowledge is something to be shared, yeah? Who knows, you just might learn something new! In addition, both videos each feature a special guest, though neither of them are Dante or Knuckles.

Firstly, this video focuses on the inspiration for Hoshido.

[spoiler=For Hoshido!]

The second one, naturally, focuses on the inspiration for Nohr.

[spoiler=For Nohr!]

Note that I didn't have anything to do with the making of these videos; I just felt that they were worth sharing. If you liked what you saw and would like more, you might be interested in visiting Kitsune Hawk's YouTube channel.

There's also another video focusing on the secret cow invisible level, but there's a limit of two videos per post so I'll have to post it later.

Sorry if you were expecting me to share my vast knowledge with you, instead you'll have to settle for letting Kitsune Hawk educate you instead.

Don't they also have a video on Valla? (These vids were really fun to listen to, btw, thanks for sharing!)

You're welcome. And they do, in fact; I didn't want to double post before, so here's that secret cow invisible level (spoilers, obviously):

[spoiler=For Valla!]

Edited by Lightchao42

Whoa, I knew a fair amount of the Conquest/Birthright stuff but the Valla stuff mostly blew my mind. Corrin and Alpha/Omega Yato being related to Janus from Roman mythology was like waaaaaaaaaaaaat. Had never even heard of Ananke.

Those videos were really educational and interesting. They gave a better appreciation of all cultures involved. Particularly the Hoshido portion and its soundtrack. Been wondering for ages the proper name for the orchestral music of Japan (even though I probably could've Googled it).

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Thanks for sharing these I will definitely being watching later.

I just watched the Nohr one and I've gotta say I'm surprised how much detail they put into the cultural influences and such. Another tidbit is that the highwayman skill by Shura could possibly be a reference to the poem the Highwayman.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/43187

Edited by LordTaco42

Isn't Brianna one of the VA? I know she's at least Charlotte's, and there's one other she does. Pretty cool how they got her to participate in this.

Charlotte and Sakura.

I see absolutely no Rome in Krakenburg. The two walls are there to make it resemble a moon. Rome is sunny and open, Krakenburg is dark and enclosed.

Otherwise, it was a nice video. I still am not fond of the mindless mishmash of ancient European cultures they did, but eh. Meanwhile Hoshido is literally Japan... Hmmm

Uh, after that name analysis, I wonder about Garon's name. My sister said that in her opinion, the name "Garon" comes from "Garum", a popular fish sauce from the Roman Empire (I'm pretty sure she is not serious...).

Now I googled the meaning, and apparently it's an Irish name that means CASTRATED HORSE, but another source says it's a french name that means guardian, protector.

And I got the wiki page for Garum on the results.

Wow.

Those are some very interesting videos.

Norh definitely gave off a Roman vibe since the very beginning, to such an extend that I can't help but be a little disappointing they didn't do MORE with a Roman aesthetic. As it stands its still more medieval.

I actually own a book of the legend in which Camilla's namesake appears. Makes me wonder why I needed a video to point the origin of the name out to me.

I see absolutely no Rome in Krakenburg. The two walls are there to make it resemble a moon. Rome is sunny and open, Krakenburg is dark and enclosed.

I found that example a little far fetched myself as well but there is one connection. The Rome of marble and stone was actually a bit of a latecomer in Roman history, starting only after Caesar. For much of Roman history Rome, despite it owning half the known world and having the best military was actually an overcrowded mess of slums, poverty and mob violence.

Likewise Krakenburg, despite being the capital of a country owning half the continent and with the best military seems to be a poverty ridden place with a lot of slums and bandit gangs. I don't think its an intentional similarity though.

I did like the video for Hoshido and all the effort put into it... but they should have used the unlocalized names instead for Hoshido if they were trying to draw parallels.

Especially for Asugi.