Zelda U E3 Predictions - Call it Before It Happens

Captain Karnage

Oh, I'm not saying I hate them, I'm totally fine with them. But only to an extent. Like you say, Glac, a dungeon full of them would just take forever. The icy block cave in north Hyrule Field in TP took me forever the first time around! Imagine how much time players like me would spend on an ENTIRE DUNGEON of block puzzles?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zelda players need to git gud at puzzles. I'm not gonna let some chumps hold the difficulty of my games down.

It's comments like these that really piss me off. Stop.

Nobody is asking for an easy ass game.

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, I'm not saying I hate them, I'm totally fine with them. But only to an extent. Like you say, Glac, a dungeon full of them would just take forever. The icy block cave in north Hyrule Field in TP took me forever the first time around! Imagine how much time players like me would spend on an ENTIRE DUNGEON of block puzzles?

My family was all "Hurry up we've gotta go" when I first did that thing. Then they started giving rather confusing directions trying to make me finish faster...

I don't like the fact they defy the rules of collisions and momentum though...

Zelda players need to git gud at puzzles. I'm not gonna let some chumps hold the difficulty of my games down.

As someone who thinks Casual/Phoenix modes should never have been added to FE, this really isn't how you should express this opinion...

I actually like block puzzles.

So while I personally would be totally down for an ice dungeon entirely devoted to them, I can see why it would be a very bad idea. It could take a while blind.

Dungeon devoted to kittens however, would be grande! Think of all the kitten based puzzles, where you must guide and help kittens!

I prefer the block puzzles that make use of ice physics over the ones that don't, because they're just artificially extending the play time. Ice physics add another layer of thinking to it as well as making the actual pushing faster.

I'd actually like to see the kitten dungeon

I prefer the block puzzles that make use of ice physics over the ones that don't, because they're just artificially extending the play time. Ice physics add another layer of thinking to it as well as making the actual pushing faster.

I'd actually like to see the kitten dungeon

I mainly think of the Ice-block puzzles when I hear "block puzzle", since those were more interesting in general.

The sand rod block puzzles from ST were pretty cool though.

The kitten dungeon would be both adorable and fun, what's not to like?

There will be a very primitive form of television in this Zelda universe (Not an item like a Crystal Ball or the Tingle Tuner).

I predict it will be the easiest in the series.

Unless Zelda U is braindead easy, this will never be verifiable because there isn't a consensus on which Zelda game is the easiest.

There will be a very primitive form of television in this Zelda universe (Not an item like a Crystal Ball or the Tingle Tuner).

Unless Zelda U is braindead easy, this will never be verifiable because there isn't a consensus on which Zelda game is the easiest.

There isn't? I would think most people would agree on TWW or possibly TP or PH....

There isn't? I would think most people would agree on TWW or possibly TP or PH....

Yeah, opinion seems to be divided between WW, TP, PH, and I've seen people say LTTP, ST, SS and ALBW. I don't think it can be narrowed down to just one game.

Edited by Jave

I think the open world will end up being a detriment to the game. It's highly subjective and there's no way to measure that, but it's what I believe; nothing makes me cock an eyebrow more than the words "open world", barring "appeal to a broader demographic".

Yeah, opinion seems to be divided between WW, TP, PH, and I've seen people say LTTP, ST, SS and ALBW. I don't think it can be narrowed down to just one game.

Hm, I see then. I personally disagree with those who say ST though, come the last couple areas of the game.

Though something that's pretty consistent with Zelda is that second runs on tend to go much more smoothly than first runs will, since you already know how the puzzles work/boss weaknesses/etc., which just makes things even harder to judge.

Since when is PH easy? Apart from the NES titles, I think Phantom Hourglass is actually the hardest game. Personally, as much as I want to like DSLoZ, the fact that the only non-touchscreen game for the DS was a Four Swords port that isn't even available anymore (I would pay to have it on e-shop. Please, Nintendo!) I don't have an opinion on ST yet, but I doubt it'll be much better, especially because I hate touch controls.

Since when is PH easy? Apart from the NES titles, I think Phantom Hourglass is actually the hardest game. Personally, as much as I want to like DSLoZ, the fact that the only non-touchscreen game for the DS was a Four Swords port that isn't even available anymore (I would pay to have it on e-shop. Please, Nintendo!) I don't have an opinion on ST yet, but I doubt it'll be much better, especially because I hate touch controls.

PH had a habit of writing solutions for puzzles elsewhere in the dungeon, the idea being you wrote them on your map for later use.

This was really apparent earlier in the game, it became less so later but still seemed to happen a bit.

ST was overall a harder game, the "write down solution" thing happened sometimes, but with far less frequency iirc.

This is from someone who loves PH, it's my third or fourth favorite Zelda.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

a lot of stuff was point out to you with the exception of that one puzzle that people got stuck on which I didn't because I played Trace Memory before playing PH. Combat was mostly spamming the same slash touch input. Puzzles were very basic even for a Zelda game. Dungeons didn't really offer anything really different from other titles. It was honestly the easiest Zelda handheld title.

Spirit Tracks fixes a lot of those issues with the overall difficulty and dungeon designs with the only exception of the overworld being severely limited with the Train movements.

Two warp gates, connected... that's not confusing at all! The only catch is you have to mark them on your map because they all look the same.

Two warp gates, connected... that's not confusing at all! The only catch is you have to mark them on your map because they all look the same.

Maybe that was the wrong term, my beef with ST's warp system is you do have to learn to some extent which connects where, as the gates always lead to a different region. In addition, it requires you travel to a spot the traditional way just to get to where you want to go. This was way more annoying than TWW, PH, TP, ALBW, TMC, MM, ALttP, even OoT's warp systems, which were simple select a place you've been to to go back there quickly.

Skyward Sword and FSA could be the only Zelda games that actually do NOT have a warp system, for the simple reason that it was not necessary. You could get around just fine in SS by flying or using the drop off points when going through the clouds. And FSA was a Mario-like level system (eight "worlds" and multiple levels within each).

Coincidentally, these are my two of my three favorite Zeldas (the third being TMC). But that doesn't mean I don't like warp systems, I do like them. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I meant functionally from a game design perspective. If there are two points on the map, spread apart, and you can choose to go to one OR the other instantly, isn't that just like a warp system? That's what happens when you choose a statue to land at in Skyward Sword. And if you want to "warp" to the other statue, the only extra step is going back to the sky before choosing to land again.

A new leak appeared:

It's nothing much, just an image, but it seems to show Link rock climbing, and it also seems to confirm that Death Mountain will appear in this game.

I'll copy/paste this post on the other Zelda U thread.