Should Gameplay be Sacrificed for Story?

CooledEvergreen

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gameplay be Sacrificed for Story?

• Yes, as long as the writing makes up for it
    • No, gameplay should be the top priority
    • Neither should be sacrificed for the other. You can have a good story and at the same time good gameplay.

I don't think the topic should be addressed like this, because it feels as if gameplay and story were two mutually exclusive elements, which is not true. You can have a rich gameplay with a solid story and vice versa. It depends ultimately on what the game is designed to, and both elements should be balanced accordingly.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I'll see if I can fix up the poll to address this

I don't think the topic should be addressed like this, because it feels as if gameplay and story were two mutually exclusive elements, which is not true. You can have a rich gameplay with a solid story and vice versa. It depends ultimately on what the game is designed to, and both elements should be balanced accordingly.

This is my opinion.

Gameplay is naturally an important aspect for what makes a solid game but a lot of games are greatly enhanced by their story. To make a food analogy, you need bread for a sandwich, but a sandwich with just bread will be less appetizing. Likewise, if the part in between the bread is rotten, you'll like the whole thing less.

Some games will be more story based and some will be pure gameplay. They cater to different tastes and that's okay.

oh hell no.

i've seen games that are story focused fall on their face because the story didn't appeal to most people and the gameplay couldn't save it.

meanwhile you see plenty of games (like Fates) with questionable story, but killer gameplay that do fantastic.

we can have good in both, but this is rarely ever the case.

when it comes to video games story is important yes

but gameplay is MORE important, if the gameplay is boring or terrible... it doesnt matter how good the story is... if i cant progress due to bad gameplay i wont and will stop playing the game

so the priority is gameplay first then story

make sure the game is fun and enjoyable then work on the plot of the game

I think that, ideally, gameplay and story need to go hand-in-hand, and that the amount of story should reflect the game being made. For example, a game like Pac-Man needs no plot, whereas a fire emblem game definitely needs plot. If I had to choose... gameplay should be more important. But, I think we can all agree FE Awakening and Fates could've had better stories.

Edited by vanguard333

I'll go with the cliche'd answer that it depends on what genre we're talking about.

imo "good" and "bad" in regards to gameplay or story change depending on what kind of game we're talking about. Every genre has different standards for its elements, and meeting those standards are what make them good or bad.

For example, the Megaman series has a simple story that does its job perfectly, thus it is good. The X and Zero stories are a bit convoluted, but also manage to develop a nice background where things happen and nice characters that make you care about what is going on. They aren't by all means masterpieces, but they do their job well, and I'd say their stories are good for what they need to be.

However, a story of Megaman X's level wouldn't be enough for a Visual Novel (like AA) and a RPG (arguably. There are people who shrug it off and play regardless if it is bad or mediocre), for example. And the same could be said about their gameplays. A Megaman game does not share the same standards of good gameplay that a Visual Novel and a RPG have (unless it is a RPG spin-off). It needs to be much more, and following their same standards would make its gameplay bad.

You play a game for gameplay, read a book if you want story.

Go play a sport if you want gameplay.

If you're going to have both gameplay and story, they should interact with each other. Not many story-telling media allow you to control how the story goes, so it feels like a lost opportunity when one aspect or the other is compromised.