The F word of gamer culture: Fandom

The DanMan

Did someone actually say the latter or did you just make it up?

Made it up as an example. One's a statement about the game itself, but the other is a negative blanket statement about the fans of the game.

Here's an actual post that someone made:

Haven't played the others on the list, but those four are poor examples. SMTxFE looks to be a typical jRPG with token dungeon crawling, awful and pandering character design, dumb Idol worship, and plenty of sex (rated "mature" for a reason). That is extremely "Japanese," moreso than the games on your list.

Backhanded racism combined with complaining about a game. That's not cool at all.

This one was my intention. I get along fine with people who like 13 so long as there's mutual respect for each others' opinions.

Sorry about the unclear wording, I will go fix it.

Edit: That phasing slightly better?

It's. . .better, but still has that weird ambiguity.

The issue is that you mentioned two things (dislike of FE13 and speaking your mind), followed by something that refers to "it". The "it" could be one of two things. If you want to reword it, perhaps something like "I don't like FE13, but I'm fine with people who like FE13," then put whatever you want about how you express your opinion in a different sentence.

when i say literal children i mean literal children below the age of 18, they are allowed to like games but its hard to hold a convocation with one due to me being an old fart and the generation gap.

i mean are you saying that people that are children can't possible enjoy videogames so everyone on the internet that does play games are older then 18?

everything else you said is right about me being a negative nancy, but i felt like i had to clarify that as it seemed to have been misinterpreted.

I've met teenagers that are more articulate the most of SF, and people older than me who have very boring conversations. Age doesn't mean that someone can't communicate well, and to judge someone for that, especially over the Internet, is not cool.

So. . .do you like being a Negative Nancy? This is a genuine question, since I've found that the more I complain about something, the worse my mental health gets, and I can't see the benefits of it.

Not sure what OP wants me to say. People like things. That's cool. Sometimes they're passionate about said things. That's also cool. So times they're fanatical about those same things. These guys need to tone it down a notch (it doesn't need to go to 11). Being reasonable about your preferences and distastes is swell. I like Mega Man.

As a noted FE4 fan, I can confirm that that is definitely a charecteristic that all FE4 fans share wait I don't even have a sister dammit.

My main point is that the term "fandom" encompasses a large amount of people, and even if we just limit things to "the people who are involved on the internet", judging groups of people due to the actions of a few is unfair.

For example: the vast majority of competitive Smash players seem pretty chill. Doesn't stop portions of the internet from hating the competitive community with a burning passion.

Yeah, at the end of the day it's judgmentalism in another form, but this kinda strikes a cord with me personally.

Edited by The DanMan

okay in all seriousness i get a kick out of the horrible sides to a fandom which is why i enjoy "i read my comments" videos on youtube

so... even if the there is horrible sides to a fandom i tend to laugh at them anyways...

so... i dont tend to all of the bad stuff seriously because loads of times the "bad" side is full of pranksters who arent really serious or... when they are serious... i still cant take it seriously

anywho... all fandoms have bad sides... but cant we all just laugh at our selves also?

My main point is that the term "fandom" encompasses a large amount of people, and even if we just limit things to "the people who are involved on the internet", judging groups of people due to the actions of a few is unfair.

For example: the vast majority of competitive Smash players seem pretty chill. Doesn't stop portions of the internet from hating the competitive community with a burning passion.

Yeah, at the end of the day it's judgmentalism in another form, but this kinda strikes a cord with me personally.

Okay, but what do you want me (not as in me specifically, but me as the average user)? Most reasonable (is it biased of me to add that word, maybe it is) people would agree with you on that basic principle and there's not really much more for me (again, not me specifically) to talk about beyond that. Should I talk about other issues of people being judgmental in the gaming community? What about positive experiences in gaming fandoms? You're not giving me much to work with here, other than your opinion which I DO agree with (maybe if I disagreed with it, there'd be more to talk about).

Okay, but what do you want me (not as in me specifically, but me as the average user)? Most reasonable (is it biased of me to add that word, maybe it is) people would agree with you on that basic principle and there's not really much more for me (again, not me specifically) to talk about beyond that. Should I talk about other issues of people being judgmental in the gaming community? What about positive experiences in gaming fandoms? You're not giving me much to work with here, other than your opinion which I DO agree with (maybe if I disagreed with it, there'd be more to talk about).

To be honest, it morphed into more of a pure opinion piece; I'm looking at the topic tags, and wondering why I put "discussion" there.

To be honest, it morphed into more of a pure opinion piece; I'm looking at the topic tags, and wondering why I put "discussion" there.

Soapboxing here does. . .what, exactly? Make a blog if you want that.

You can fix the tags by clicking Edit on the first post, then clicking on Use Full Editor.

Soapboxing here does. . .what, exactly? Make a blog if you want that.

You can fix the tags by clicking Edit on the first post, then clicking on Use Full Editor.

Already knew that, and edited the tags.

Sorry that what was originally a discussion idea ended up evolving into a rant/opinion piece.

I've met teenagers that are more articulate the most of SF, and people older than me who have very boring conversations. Age doesn't mean that someone can't communicate well, and to judge someone for that, especially over the Internet, is not cool.

So. . .do you like being a Negative Nancy? This is a genuine question, since I've found that the more I complain about something, the worse my mental health gets, and I can't see the benefits of it.

it might just be the kids i find on the internet then, personal experience and all that.

for example, trying to hold a conversation about devil may cry with a friend thats 7 or 8 years younger then me is hard because they only have experience with the ninja theory reboot.

or a more general example is that I can hold 30 minutes or longer, back and forth conversations with friends and family about fandom related things, but then i try asking some other stranger I could get some short reply's, further questions lead to more short replys without details or answers (an alternative version of this is trying to role play with someone that does few words in their post while you type out several lines of dialogue, which typically happens with adolescence or creative people.)

i'm not saying all adolescence are like this, just my experience, tho i suppose you could apply "personal experience means nothing" from good old fire emblem debates to this matter, i mean try to look at it from an old 23 year old windbag like myself's perspective.

and venting my frustrations on the internet and to people DOES infact make me feel better, as long as i am level headed when i'm venting and not actually super upset, i have taken breaks from stuff when i realize that i need to stop interacting with them for awhile.

i do hope this is making sense, it might be less of "these darn kids keep getting on my lawn" and more of "maybe i don't really belong in alot of these fandoms" which is something i do question to myself time and time again with various games, like undertale or league of legends as examples.

this video is my opinion on fandoms in a nut shell

watch the entire thing.... the video is in the perspective on an anime fan who went to japan for work to be an english teacher but ended up having one of his favorite anime being ruined for him because of over sexualization of a character due to fandoms and how the media was pandering to the fandoms in japan with adaptions of the original source media because it was popular... and whatever is popular is what sells even if it goes against what the original creator intended

anywho... watch the video and youll get a new perspective on the subject on fandoms, the negative, the positive and how fandoms should effect you and make you think of different things

this video is my opinion on fandoms in a nut shell

watch the entire thing.... the video is in the perspective on an anime fan who went to japan for work to be an english teacher but ended up having one of his favorite anime being ruined for him because of over sexualization of a character due to fandoms and how the media was pandering to the fandoms in japan with adaptions of the original source media because it was popular... and whatever is popular is what sells even if it goes against what the original creator intended

anywho... watch the video and youll get a new perspective on the subject on fandoms, the negative, the positive and how fandoms should effect you and make you think of different things

ya know if he didn't use the high pitched voice so often i think i'd watch more of his videos, that was actually pretty interesting.

it might just be the kids i find on the internet then, personal experience and all that.

for example, trying to hold a conversation about devil may cry with a friend thats 7 or 8 years younger then me is hard because they only have experience with the ninja theory reboot.

or a more general example is that I can hold 30 minutes or longer, back and forth conversations with friends and family about fandom related things, but then i try asking some other stranger I could get some short reply's, further questions lead to more short replys without details or answers (an alternative version of this is trying to role play with someone that does few words in their post while you type out several lines of dialogue, which typically happens with adolescence or creative people.)

i'm not saying all adolescence are like this, just my experience, tho i suppose you could apply "personal experience means nothing" from good old fire emblem debates to this matter, i mean try to look at it from an old 23 year old windbag like myself's perspective.

and venting my frustrations on the internet and to people DOES infact make me feel better, as long as i am level headed when i'm venting and not actually super upset, i have taken breaks from stuff when i realize that i need to stop interacting with them for awhile.

i do hope this is making sense, it might be less of "these darn kids keep getting on my lawn" and more of "maybe i don't really belong in alot of these fandoms" which is something i do question to myself time and time again with various games, like undertale or league of legends as examples.

I can talk to my family/close friends for a long time about various subjects. The difference you see between you and someone you know well versus you and a stranger is that neither of you knows squat about the other. Part of the art of conversation is learning how to keep it going (which means you need to be able to read intent, and respond to it). . .something that I'm hit-or-miss with. The reason why I take issue with your stance is because the age difference between you and the adolescents you're talking down to is less than the age difference between you and me.

Sounds like you're using the 'Net to vocalize why you don't like something, and you're self-aware enough not to wallow in it, which is good. Just. . .remember that everyone's an individual, and attributing everything to an entire group is asking for trouble.

I'm not a part of the greater League of Legends community for my own reasons. I'll poke my head in from time to time, to see if I can find more guides/suggestions on how to get over some weird-ass issues I have with the game itself/be a better support. There's nothing wrong with excluding yourself from certain fandoms, especially if you're getting nothing of value from them.

fair enough then, i don't see anything wrong with what ya saying in this conversation.

glad i could make myself more clear, i am aware that this is a reoccurring issue where i make a vague post during feeling emotional then i spend the next few post trying to explain myself better after i've calmed down, i think i have been working on it.

but yeah i think i've said my peace on the matter now.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai