Birthright or Conquest

Ninian157

So, I'm getting Birthright/Conquest tomorrow. Problem is, I've no idea which one I want first since I have to wait 4+ months until I get the other one.

Now, I'm fully aware of the flaws both have, and the good things for that matter. If I get Conquest I'm gonna igNohr (I'm terrible I know) the plot and just focus on the gameplay itself. I do like Conquest's cast quite a bit. But, I know Birthright lacks in the gameplay department with having bland chapters and such. Though I do like the characters and not being stuck in only doing the Chapters is nice.

Between those two, which has more replay value and would most likely hold my interest longer?

Between those two, which has more replay value and would most likely hold my interest longer?

Any game has infinite replay value, why should someone else's opinion effect how often you go through a game.

Anyway, get Conquest, or just flip a coin.

It really depends on what you think of replay value. For both routes, you'll have 28 chapters and 14 paralogues. If you play Conquest, I highly doubt you'd actually get access to all of the paralogues given how scarce exp and gold is. You can at least farm in Birthright, so you can bring characters you haven't used up to speed. While I would say Conquest is better as far as gameplay is concerned, (it does offer up more variety in terms of objectives) I still think it has its issues that keep it from being perfect, at least to me. Birthright is perfectly fine, since the gameplay is identical to Conquest's. The only difference is that the enemy won't have many skills on them, if at all any as opposed to Conquest, where they will almost always have skills on enemies. You'll also mostly see Route the Enemy maps and Defeat the Boss maps. At the end of the day, it depends on what you want. Do you want the easier and funner game, (at least to me its more fun) with farming that'll help keep all your units usable? Do you want the more challenging game that limits your resources and will most likely keep you from utilizing all the units you don't use who will be stuck at whatever level you left them at come the end of the game that doesn't have a way to bring them up to speed (this is of course barring DLC)? Its up to you. I think Birthright is a nice way to get into Fates first, (on Lunatic) so you could get used to the new mechanics and be ready for Conquest. You can still go right into Conquest, but just know that without DLC, you will have to use a handful of units and I think Conquest is best played on Hard mode. Its more enjoyable than Lunatic and it won't make you want to tear out your hair. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully it'll help you on your decision.

I would definitely choose Conquest. The story isn't all that good in either game, but Birthright's is also really boring. Conquest has far more interesting maps and is more challenging (in a good, satisfying way). Birthright is pretty watered down so both story and gameplay are boring while Conquest "only" has a generally disliked story. Personally, I like it well enough. I can enjoy it despite the plotholes.

Birthright's story isn't really that bad. It's just your standard hero saves the day story. Conquest story is ridiculous and awful.

Gameplay, Conquest is better, but it's more limited. Unless you buy DLC, you won't be able to max out most of your characters (at least on one file). I think both games have standout characters and characters that make you want to stab your 3DS (exaggerating).

IMO, the superior gameplay in Conquest isn't so superior to make-up for the story. This is especially so since you're limited in gameplay options sans DLC.

IMO, Conquest has the best story, it's just the main character that drags it down.

Anyway, I started with Conquest, and while I think it is much better than Birthright in most regards, I actually regret starting with it. If you care about story progression, start with Birthright, as it naturally leads to Conquest (in a way). Going from Conquest to Birthright will leave Birthright underwhelming, both in terms gameplay and hints in Birthright that are revealed in Conquest, leaving the story lackluster in Birthright.

So yeah, I'd say start with Birthright. I wish I did.

Conquest has superb gameplay and a more interesrting (due to what i hear from my friends as I don't own Birthright) cast. If you can deal with offensively stupid plotholes, definetely go for it.