Famitsu June 2015 Fire Emblem Series Reader Poll Results - Translated

Kirokan

Hi everyone!

Somehow, the June 2015 (not a typo, I mean last year) Famitsu poll went under my radar... anyway. I saw the character polls were already mentioned way back in this thread, but from skimming I saw nobody really translated the fun little comments/reasons people left on the characters.

Also, did you know there was a Page 3 and 4? II didn't see them anywhere else, and so had to buy the Famitsu volume myself in order to get the scans. xD Though not with characters, but instead deals with things like favorite games, classes, and weapons. (Regarding classes, its funny there is a recent thread talking about Pegasus Knights being overrated too xD)

Anyway! I translated the results, minus the fluff bits (that summarize who the characters are/what the game is, as fans on this forum probably know that already).

Here are the Character Poll results, and here is Part 2 (Game,Weapon,etc)

Note the polls were done right before Fates released in Japan!

Apologies in advance if someone DID post page 3 and 4 already...I didn't see it anywhere though. xD

"He’s pretty manly, unlike most FE protagonists (Male, 20s)"\

that made me laugh

essentally they're saying that the other lords are wusses

edit: some of the things I read I wish I hadn't

I also feel that Fate's shouldn't be on the Favorite game poll since it hadn't been released

Edited by Captain Karnage

Looks like Ike fans love him because he stands out/is different! That's a reason I love him too. <3

But it's a bummer that PoR Ike is the preferred version. I prefer RD Ike (HOT <3). Though that's Japan for you, they like bishies, which PoR Ike is closer to being...

But I'm STILL ecstatic that Japan loves him more than anybody in the series! FIRST PLACE, PEEPS! WE LIKE IKE!

EDIT: Oh, and Ragnell being the third most liked weapon and RD and PoR being the fourth and sixth most liked games respectively also pleases me! It's especially impressive when you consider the sales of these two games. You wouldn't think they sold so horribly by looking at this! I always said their sales were not at all an indication of their popularity and this supports that!

Edited by Anacybele

My heart soared when I saw Ike as first place and Ephraim doing not too shabby at tenth. My heart then plummeted when soldier was not a favorite class for them anywhere. Then my heart stood in silence and balance when apparently the iron sword and javelin got 7th and 8th among things like Forseti and Excalibur. Pretty amazed that Genealogy ended up being the third favorite among the games even if I didn't find Sigurd anywhere.

So... I guess karnage was this clairvoyant prophet who knew what to post as a topic before this information was brought on about the pegasus knights. God bless ya, mate.

Edited by Raguna

The opinions stuff are all really interesting to read about!

thanks for the translation Kirokan.

You're welcome : ) I love reading and translating things like this so its no problem xD

"He’s pretty manly, unlike most FE protagonists (Male, 20s)"\

that made me laugh

essentally they're saying that the other lords are wusses

edit: some of the things I read I wish I hadn't

I also feel that Fate's shouldn't be on the Favorite game poll since it hadn't been released

Me too, it's why I made sure to put a note that it was not released in Japan at that time in case people wondered why it placed low. xD And yet, it still beat out two games from pre-release info alone!

I find pretty hilarious that Iron sword and Javelin are in the top ten: to each his own, I guess.

Btw I'm happy to see Forseti, considering It is my favorite weapon in the series.

Me too, Iron Sword! Love it. xD

Interesting stuff. I wasn't expecting Ike to be the most popular character, that's a pleasant surprise, as well as Lyn being fourth. The comments are all over the place lol. Thanks for sharing! I wonder how the results would change now that Fates has been out for almost a year.

Interesting stuff. I wasn't expecting Ike to be the most popular character, that's a pleasant surprise, as well as Lyn being fourth. The comments are all over the place lol. Thanks for sharing! I wonder how the results would change now that Fates has been out for almost a year.

Considering Greninja is now apparently the most popular pokemon in Japan and Pit was the most popular Nintendo character right after Kid Icarus: Uprising released, I'd say things would be skewed a lot.

I guess Ike might be sticking around in future Fire Emblem games after all. That's nice. I mean, he can't possibly score so high just because of Smash Bros, otherwise Roy would be in the rankings too.

Also, the Killing Edges is the most popular weapon? I only ever use that weapon in Thracia and TRS and only because of it's high accuracy and low weight in those games. Well, and the PCC in Thracia of curse. Otherwise, I don't see the point. They are dangerous in the enemy's hands but are completely unreliable when the player uses them.

Edited by BrightBow

I don't blame people for loving the killing edge, honestly! I really love it too, it's my favorite weapon that's not a unique/ultimate/legendary one. I like it because it looks awesome and because of dat crit rate.

And yeah, there has to be more to Ike's popularity than just Smash for exactly what you said, BrightBow, and the fact that people's listed reasons for loving him don't even involve Smash! Like I said before, the most common reason is how he stands out and is different from the rest of the FE lord crowd. ^^ Meaning these people played his games, they didn't just see him in Smash and go "whoa manly badass!"

(though admittedly, I kinda did at first since Smash was the first time I saw Ike in anything. lol But I did still play his games in the end and they made me love him more! I can't wait to see him in more games, whether it's with his Amiibo or some other kind of appearance! He's just so <3)

I'm glad Finn placed so high.

I wonder how much Fates will influece future polls...

On the matter of Ike: being a commoner instead of a star-chosen, blue blooded lord, I think that is part of his appeal. When PoR came out, it was very refreshing for me to see a focus on a team of non-noble people.

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

I laughed when I saw Javelin in the Top 10, then felt cheated when I saw no Hand Axe. It's cheesed all the most popular games sans Awakening, by far!

Thanks for doing amazing translation job as always Kirokan!

Nice to see the results weren't completely Awakening-centric, that's what I was afraid of going in, since it was the most recent game at the time.

I'm a bit bummed most of the top 10 characters were main characters since I usually like side characters more, but that's to be expected anyways.

Kind of weird they did the vote breakdow for PoR/RD Ike but not the different versions of Tiki.

At least the better Ike was more popular

Iron Sword and Javelin in top 10 favorite weapons is pretty funny as noted and I'm happy to see archer getting at least some love in top 10 favorite classes.

Considering Greninja is now apparently the most popular pokemon in Japan and Pit was the most popular Nintendo character right after Kid Icarus: Uprising released, I'd say things would be skewed a lot.

Indeed! So I think it was good to take the poll right before release. I think the next one being a year or two after Fates will be the best way to get it without post-game hype and such in there too. : )

I don't blame people for loving the killing edge, honestly! I really love it too, it's my favorite weapon that's not a unique/ultimate/legendary one. I like it because it looks awesome and because of dat crit rate.

And yeah, there has to be more to Ike's popularity than just Smash for exactly what you said, BrightBow, and the fact that people's listed reasons for loving him don't even involve Smash! Like I said before, the most common reason is how he stands out and is different from the rest of the FE lord crowd. ^^ Meaning these people played his games, they didn't just see him in Smash and go "whoa manly badass!"

(though admittedly, I kinda did at first since Smash was the first time I saw Ike in anything. lol But I did still play his games in the end and they made me love him more! I can't wait to see him in more games, whether it's with his Amiibo or some other kind of appearance! He's just so <3)

I had the opposite, I was so disconnected with Brawl info that I was amazed to see Ike from FE9 in there! xD (I miss those times of expert internet avoidance...!) I'm glad it encouraged you to play those wonderful games though : )

I'm glad Finn placed so high.

I wonder how much Fates will influece future polls...

On the matter of Ike: being a commoner instead of a star-chosen, blue blooded lord, I think that is part of his appeal. When PoR came out, it was very refreshing for me to see a focus on a team of non-noble people.

Indeed, the commenters/voters agree with you on that for Ike too!

Thanks for doing amazing translation job as always Kirokan!

Nice to see the results weren't completely Awakening-centric, that's what I was afraid of going in, since it was the most recent game at the time.

I'm a bit bummed most of the top 10 characters were main characters since I usually like side characters more, but that's to be expected anyways.

Kind of weird they did the vote breakdow for PoR/RD Ike but not the different versions of Tiki.

At least the better Ike was more popular

Iron Sword and Javelin in top 10 favorite weapons is pretty funny as noted and I'm happy to see archer getting at least some love in top 10 favorite classes.

You're welcome! I always enjoy bringing and discussing things like this with the fanbase : ) I was happy to see the variety in results, showing their readership truly is both old and new fans alike. I was very happy to see FE7 place second for story reasons too xD Yeah... it seems like the main characters made it mostly, and its likely due to having the most screen time and such in general. They should try a non-lord poll sometime!

I feel like they may have done a split for Tiki, but weren't too in-depth as she placed out of the top 3. I noticed for the top 3 they had much more detail/comments on the magazine page itself, so I assume if she placed higher they would have gotten into more detail. : ) (All the stuff about cuteness though makes me imagine they voted for the younger version though!)

BB Scored a respectable 4th in popularity, and likely boosted 7 to its spot (judging by some of the reasons).

Definitely a game that deserves to be brought to the west officially, even as a re-make.

Yes, this is definitely a reason as people went to see FE7 as a prequel and how it connected to 6 and such : ) Would really love to see it get something like a western release!

I'm curious why FE1 and 3 scored higher than their DS remakes. I'm guessing nostalgia.

well they are very different games it's not like most remakes where it's just an update on graphics.... Nostalgia obviously plays a role, but there were some pretty controversial changes to the games... (Shadow Dragon's gaidens, New Mystery's avatar ect.) so I think it would be a little unfair to say it's entirely nostalgia. There are many legitimate reasons to simply prefer the originals.

I disowned the 3DS remake of majora's mask for a bunch of reasons but mostly for messing up the bosses, so I can see why people wouldn't like some much larger changes made to their old games they loved.

Edited by Locke087

well they are very different games it's not like most remakes where it's just an update on graphics.... Nostalgia obviously plays a role, but there were some pretty controversial changes to the games... (Shadow Dragon's gaidens, New Mystery's avatar ect.) so I think it would be a little unfair to say it's entirely nostalgia. There are many legitimate reasons to simply prefer the originals.

I disowned the 3DS remake of majora's mask for a bunch of reasons but mostly for messing up the bosses, so I can see why people wouldn't like some much larger changes made to their old games they loved.

I can't think of a single reason to prefer FE1 to FE11. The gaidens are optional, and it's not the gaidens themselves that are controversial, merely the requirements to get them. I can see why one might prefer FE3 to FE12 though, but I personally prefer FE12 myself.

I'm curious why FE1 and 3 scored higher than their DS remakes. I'm guessing nostalgia.

I've played both. The older ones have a much better art style, mounting/dismounting, no reclassing, no avatar, different Stat caps and character balance.

I vastly prefer 1/3 over 11/12 and I like both. Minerva is awesome in 3 while only okay even with hauteclere in the remakes.

I can't think of a single reason to prefer FE1 to FE11. The gaidens are optional, and it's not the gaidens themselves that are controversial, merely the requirements to get them. I can see why one might prefer FE3 to FE12 though, but I personally prefer FE12 myself.

Well, FE1 has "so ugly they are beautiful" portraits, while FE11's portaits look like potato faces.

Don't take this post too seriously.

I've played both. The older ones have a much better art style, mounting/dismounting, no reclassing, no avatar, different Stat caps and character balance.

FE1's art style is horrid, dismounting would've been better if it wasn't forced, reclassing is not a bad thing and completely optional, the avatar is mainly bad due to being a self-insert Mary Sue, the stat caps were stupidly low in FE1 and 3, and character balance was horrid in FE1 and 3, especially the former. Everyone was usable though, because the enemies had horrid stats. FE1 also had a poor interface and a wonky inventory system. YMMV, but those are my thoughts on the matter.