PS4 Neo...Is it worth your money(and do you actually give a care about it)? If it isn't, what would?

Busterman64

...You know, I'm wondering why Sony is doing this in the first place, but hey, it's gonna get bought by SOMEONE out there...right?

Anywho, as the title suggests, do you actually give a care about the PS4 Neo? Is it worth your paycheck? Is it even worth bringing up?

And if you answered No to either question, what would actually push you to actually get this thing?

For me, I don't really care about whatever enhancements it's gonna get. All I want, and while it's very unlikely, BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY FOR PS3 GAMES!!!

I've never owned a PS3( kinda behind the console generations...minus my 3DS), but I want to play a lot of the games on the system. If the PS4 originally had backwards compatibility, I would be saving up for a PS4 instead. Its honestly the ONLY thing holding me back from getting a PS4! But hey, maybe with the PS4 Neo, we'll get that this time(...I mean, if Sony has the money to make another PS4 system for whatever reason, they could slip this in too to get more sales...maybe...)!

......a guy can hope can't he? :Joshua:

So yeah......PS4 Neo...

neo.jpg

(Sorry...couldn't resist the joke... :kefka: )

Edited by Busterman64

I'll be honest. This thing pisses me off for existing. I convinced my parents to get me a PS4 for a graduation present, and then Sony announces this fucking thing a day or two after I get the PS4. Yeah, I'm pissed, especially since I'm a solid 50 minutes from the nearest Gamestop if I want to trade in the PS4 I got for the new one.

I will admit that i tend to game on my computer. Why buy a play station, when my computer that i own anyway plays almost all the games i want to play (except nintendo games)?

I dislike "major" mid-line upgrades; the Nu3DS isn't exactly a massive success. I'm just hoping that this doesn't start a trend (which it doesn't seem like it will); the appeal of consoles is not having to upgrade every year or two to play the newest games.

I don't have a ps4 period, so the question for me is do I get the ps4 Neo when I do decide to get a ps4, or do I get an old ps4 at a hopefully reduced price? Hm... choices. If they require all games for the Neo be functional on the old model, I might just stick to the old model.

I'll be honest. This thing pisses me off for existing. I convinced my parents to get me a PS4 for a graduation present, and then Sony announces this fucking thing a day or two after I get the PS4. Yeah, I'm pissed, especially since I'm a solid 50 minutes from the nearest Gamestop if I want to trade in the PS4 I got for the new one.

I honestly don't blame you for feeling that way. I'd feel mad too. We all don't have that kind of money to burn( and I doubt trading it in when the PS4 Neo comes out will get you enough for it...especially if too many other people have the same idea! The trade-in value of the PS4 will drop like a rock)!

I dislike "major" mid-line upgrades; the Nu3DS isn't exactly a massive success. I'm just hoping that this doesn't start a trend (which it doesn't seem like it will); the appeal of consoles is not having to upgrade every year or two to play the newest games.

...well, you kinda have the N3DS, which is around $200( or $170 if you buy it refurbished from the Nintendo Online Store Website) and the PS4,which is around $350. Doesn't change how much they cost because they both still are a lot, but the value depends on your personal gaming preferences and also if there is a good reason to get one, like if you play your 3DS a lot and your old 3DS was broken via an accident out of your control...if not, then you're good to ignore it. Well...that and it's a [older] handheld and a [newer] home console.

(......just wanted to throw that out there. Probably doesn't change much though......Oh well! :D: )

Also, I highly doubt this will be a trend. Besides, that's a lot Money AND Stress(for the company and the game developers having to make different versions all the time). Not to mention lost respect from buyers (or consumers, the economical term) seeing how they would enrage fans by making them buy a new console so often(not everyone has money to burn..or give out so easily) and game developers( for all the unwanted extra work)!

I don't have a ps4 period, so the question for me is do I get the ps4 Neo when I do decide to get a ps4, or do I get an old ps4 at a hopefully reduced price? Hm... choices. If they require all games for the Neo be functional on the old model, I might just stick to the old model.

If it's just upgraded graphics and stuff like adding function that aren't very important, then the old one would be a better option. Sure, updated graphics and maybe updated processors are nice and all, but...the PS4( a console in this day and age) should already be pretty good as is, shouldn't it?

(...but that's just me. :hat: )

Edited by Busterman64

It'll make money. The new 3DS has only had five exclusive games (the only real notable one being Xenoblade Chronicles imo) for it and it's done okay for sales.

It's a console, not a handheld, though, so I don't think there will be as many getting it if they already own a PS4. Am I interested? Not really.

I will admit that i tend to game on my computer. Why buy a play station, when my computer that i own anyway plays almost all the games i want to play (except nintendo games)?

I primarily play on PC but there's a lot of games that are shared between Xbox and Playstation that I do want to play that will never get PC ports.

Just the same as if you buy a Nintendo console, there's enough games that you won't be able to get on PC. This is disregarding that many people have poor PCs (mine is aging) and so a console offers an easy guaranteed way to run games for a fraction of the price of a good PC.

playstation and xbox not any different from nintendo consoles, you just like different games

Edited by Tryhard

What you pay for a good gaming PC is almost literally the price of a mid range graphics card. Just a general statement to reply to at least one poster in this thread so far.

But regardless, I thought exclusives for the newest 3DS were dumb, and iirc Nintendo did that as well with some of the upgrades to the original ds. There were some mid season upgrades to the ps3 and x360, but those were essentially bug fixes, reduced hardware size, and added hard drive space, things like that. If the neo is along that line, then sure, but if it's like a thing that will have its own exclusives, then Sony can jump straight into a fire for all I care.

Well Sony is playing it smart by making games playable on both the original and Neo. They wouldn't be stupid to lose out on all those PS4 sales at this point by putting exclusives on the Neo. That being said, I'm not really all that worried about this concept of a slightly upgraded system. Then again, I don't own a PS4 so this is only beneficial to me. The way I see it, I could go for the more powerful one or get the cheaper alternative.

I think they are doing this to jump on the whole VR craze. Since the base hardware isn't powerful enough for it and they are already in the middle of their cycle they want to release something that can get an early jump on it though so you get this. Since I have a gaming desktop I could care less about what Xbox and Playstation have to offer anymore.

if you dont have a ps4, yes its worth it

but if you do already have a ps4... its up to you, there will be exclusive games for it most likely.... so if you dont want those games... dont go for it... but if you do want them get the system then

i dont have a ps4.... so if i got one it be a neo obviously

I see no need for a PS4. Any game I want for it either already has a PC version or is likely to get a PC port. I find PC+Nintendo consoles will cover pretty much any game I'd want.

And I find PC+PS4 covers any game I would want to get, but that doesn't really mean anything. If you weren't interested in games on it to begin with them of course you won't, just like I haven't cared for many Nintendo games for years.

If, like TC stutteringly hopes, there was actually backwards compatibility and it played both PS3 and PS4, I'd be interested at some point. Otherwise, I need to get a PS3 before a PS4 so I can play trails of cold steel, mgs4, and some other stuff.

Edited by Togami Byakuga

the appeal of consoles is not having to upgrade every year or two to play the newest games.

Pretty much this. The point is to have a baseline of hardware everyone can meet for about 5+ years, to avoid the expensive incremental upgrades which comes with PC gaming. Personally, I'm a multiplatform gamer, so I play on PC and consoles, but the Neo is eliminating the sole advantages that consoles have over PC: affordability and convenience.

Pretty much this. The point is to have a baseline of hardware everyone can meet for about 5+ years, to avoid the expensive incremental upgrades which comes with PC gaming. Personally, I'm a multiplatform gamer, so I play on PC and consoles, but the Neo is eliminating the sole advantages that consoles have over PC: affordability and convenience.

Yeah baseline hardware and console optimization of games is an edge for consoles along with any exclusives they bring (but even that's quickly becoming lost). But even for smaller upgrades PC gaming is pretty affordable. Yeah new GPUs come out every year but you don't really need the highest end card to play 1080p gaming for most titles.

Yeah baseline hardware and console optimization of games is an edge for consoles along with any exclusives they bring (but even that's quickly becoming lost). But even for smaller upgrades PC gaming is pretty affordable. Yeah new GPUs come out every year but you don't really need the highest end card to play 1080p gaming for most titles.

That's true, but a little disingenuous. I bought my PS4 (a bundle with Bloodborne) for £250. If I were to build a gaming PC, the OS alone would be almost half of that £250, with £150 left to buy the hardware required to play newer games on par with that PS4. That's also not including peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headset, potentially a controller for keyboard-hostile games like DaS), which are all included in the £250 for PS4 (headset, controller). I don't include the monitor, because anything with a HDMI port can count as a monitor.

There's no way you're going to get an equivalent PC build for the price of a console, even factoring out the regular upgrades required to keep up with system specs. Not only that, but you need a degree of expertise to know what brands to buy, which games have video card-specific issues, which sites to look for deals on, know how to fix bugs, etc.

With consoles, you just need to stroll into pretty much any major shop and exchange money for a fully working, fully optimised, fully operable video game platform that you can assemble in less than 5 minutes.

In regards to sales, there's the preowned market, which sells Battlefront for £5 (it's £11 for a new physical copy on Amazon at the moment, compared to £20 for the physical PC version, and £16 for 75% off on Origin) and Doom for £29, which is equal to the 40% sale currently going on for Steam (its regular price is £40). So, the sales aren't even that beneficial, either, or at least not for the AAA titles.

I own a Wii U and a x1 so far, but I consider getting a ps4 because of some exclusives.

Neo or not depends on the advantages it does provide. If there are no (interesting) exclusive games, I expect to get at least higher resolution or fps in the normal ps4 games. Who am I kidding, I want to play Summer Lesson >_>

That's true, but a little disingenuous. I bought my PS4 (a bundle with Bloodborne) for £250. If I were to build a gaming PC, the OS alone would be almost half of that £250, with £150 left to buy the hardware required to play newer games on par with that PS4. That's also not including peripherals (mouse, keyboard, headset, potentially a controller for keyboard-hostile games like DaS), which are all included in the £250 for PS4 (headset, controller). I don't include the monitor, because anything with a HDMI port can count as a monitor.

There's no way you're going to get an equivalent PC build for the price of a console, even factoring out the regular upgrades required to keep up with system specs. Not only that, but you need a degree of expertise to know what brands to buy, which games have video card-specific issues, which sites to look for deals on, know how to fix bugs, etc.

With consoles, you just need to stroll into pretty much any major shop and exchange money for a fully working, fully optimised, fully operable video game platform that you can assemble in less than 5 minutes.

In regards to sales, there's the preowned market, which sells Battlefront for £5 (it's £11 for a new physical copy on Amazon at the moment, compared to £20 for the physical PC version, and £16 for 75% off on Origin) and Doom for £29, which is equal to the 40% sale currently going on for Steam (its regular price is £40). So, the sales aren't even that beneficial, either, or at least not for the AAA titles.

There might be a higher initial cost but gradual upgrades are typically cheaper (not always like if you're buying a Titan X or some uber overkill GPU or an i76950X that you probably don't need at all). As far as expertise goes its alot easier now than it was say 10 or even 7 years ago. Even if a GPU does have issues with a specific game drivers are released pretty regularly to help alleviate them. Most issues you find now in days with games are in SLI and Crossfire configurations as games don't always support more than one GPU. As far as brands for GPUs go its pretty much limited to Nvidia and AMD both sell decent cards it just depends how much you want to spend really. The brands like MSi, Gigabyte, EVGA etc just sell cards with custom coolers on them for better performance otherwise the card itself is the same. Where you do need "expertise" and by expertise I mean just alot of searching on the internet for reviews is the power supply unit. Typically all brands have at some point made bad ones in the past so going off of brand name alone is not the best idea.

While custom building is typically recommended there are a swath of resources out there that make building a PC simpler than ever like NCIX, PCpartPicker.com, ibuypower (although I'd recommend the latter two first).

If anyone needs any help on the matter feel free to contact me.

Edited by LordTaco42

There might be a higher initial cost but gradual upgrades are typically cheaper (not always like if you're buying a Titan X or some uber overkill GPU or an i76950X that you probably don't need at all). As far as expertise goes its alot easier now than it was say 10 or even 7 years ago. Even if a GPU does have issues with a specific game drivers are released pretty regularly to help alleviate them. Most issues you find now in days with games are in SLI and Crossfire configurations as games don't always support more than one GPU. As far as brands for GPUs go its pretty much limited to Nvidia and AMD both sell decent cards it just depends how much you want to spend really. The brands like MSi, Gigabyte, EVGA etc just sell cards with custom coolers on them for better performance otherwise the card itself is the same. Where you do need "expertise" and by expertise I mean just alot of searching on the internet for reviews is the power supply unit. Typically all brands have at some point made bad ones in the past so going off of brand name alone is not the best idea.

While custom building is typically recommended there are a swath of resources out there that make building a PC simpler than ever like NCIX, PCpartPicker.com, ibuypower (although I'd recommend the latter two first).

If anyone needs any help on the matter feel free to contact me.

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong - it isn't exactly a feat of technical genius, no, and I myself am more than willing to help out any friend who needs it when they want to upgrade. It's not as daunting as it sounds.

But, it's still not better than a console. You can't build a console-equivalent PC for the same price (you're usually forking out about £100 more, and that's if you're waiting for sales). The games also aren't as cheap as people say (physical editions, preowned market, in-store sales). It's not as bad as people assume, but it's still not anywhere near as good as console (for those categories).

With a console, you buy it, it's affordable, no technical expertise or research required, you know it works with every single game sold for it, it takes about 2 minutes to assemble (plug it in, play), everything updates for you, you don't need to upgrade to keep pace, no worries about optimisation.

In convenience and price, console outstrips PC by far.

For customisability, aesthetics, and product rage (although this depends on which exclusives you want), PC is the way to go.

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong - it isn't exactly a feat of technical genius, no, and I myself am more than willing to help out any friend who needs it when they want to upgrade. It's not as daunting as it sounds.

But, it's still not better than a console. You can't build a console-equivalent PC for the same price (you're usually forking out about £100 more, and that's if you're waiting for sales). The games also aren't as cheap as people say (physical editions, preowned market, in-store sales). It's not as bad as people assume, but it's still not anywhere near as good as console (for those categories).

With a console, you buy it, it's affordable, no technical expertise or research required, you know it works with every single game sold for it, it takes about 2 minutes to assemble (plug it in, play), everything updates for you, you don't need to upgrade to keep pace, no worries about optimisation.

In convenience and price, console outstrips PC by far.

For customisability, aesthetics, and product rage (although this depends on which exclusives you want), PC is the way to go.

Yeah its just depends what you want really. They both have their pros and cons although I have seen people make "console killer" PCs for around 600-800USD which is still more expensive than a PS4 but cool nonetheless. The thing I find kinda interesting though is how much consoles are becoming like PCs in terms of distribution, installation of games on HDD, patches, and now VR.

Ahaha. I'm at what, ten days from buying a PS4, and then I learn this. :p

Won't change my mind, I'll probably still get a PS4, after all, it's for PS4 games, but damn, it's kinda funny.