Should some of the children in Fates "return" in the next game?

Rend Keaven

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see some of Fates children "return" in the next FE game?

• Yes, it was a fun idea in Fates and can expand the story of these characters.
    • No, I'd rather see new characters and it's a lazy attempt to expand the roster.
    • Meh,

Personally, I enjoyed seeing Inigo, Owain and Severa again - especially seeing how they've gone through some character development since Awakening. I've yet to play Hidden Truths (still one week until it's released here in Europe), so I don't know the exact explanation for how they got there yet. No spoilers, please!

However, I felt like the second gen trio (Caeldori, Rhajat, Asugi) was rather weak by comparison. There's not even any explanation for why they happen to look almost exactly like their Awakening equivalents. I do use Caeldori a lot because I happen to love Cordelia and she makes an amazing Swordmaster... but I'm not a fan of the other two.

As for whether Fates children should return in the next FE... probably not. I feel like the Fates children overall have far less charm than the Awakening children do - the only one I really like is Ophelia, because she's hilarious (especially whenever her and her father are in the same room together). Shigure and Shiro are also pretty cool, but they're fairly one-note.

I'd be open to the idea of a direct sequel, however (a la Path of Radiance -> Radiant Dawn). Of course, that would be a problem for IS, given the multiple stories thing...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell no. HELL NO.

I'm sick of the whole "multiple worlds" or "multiple universes" or whatever BS plot device they think of. Can we stick to one world with a new cast of characters and no children, please? Please don't overcomplicate plots, IS. You can have a complex story without parallel universes. Look at The Iliad. I just want a plot that's, more or less, grounded in reality.

I also want to play a Fire Emblem game without having to worry about pairing people up for children.

However, I bet that, despite our complaints, IS will have children come back again. I bet the method that the first generation units will get to meet their kids in the next game will be through cryogenic sleep chambers or something along those lines. -_-

Calling it now.

Edited by Leif

Absolutely not.

It was fanservice, and it was lazy fanservice. I want to grow attached to new characters in a new world; not old carry-overs who have nothing to do with this setting. The awakening 1st gen- Fates 2nd gen trio were even worse. Nothing makes me angrier that Saizo could've had an original, coolly designed kid but instead got whiny Gaius. I will never understand why they ported over six. Their designs haven't even been changed a bit; nor were their personalities really developed or anything - at least Severa, Owain and Inigo received some development.

It's boring and lazy, let alone poorly executed. Don't do it again, please.

I just want to gay marry Soleil to be honest. If we got a FE6 remake, I'd add Soleil and Forrest in place of Dorothy and Saul. Other than that, though, nope. I didn't really like the second gen outside of that to be honest.

Nej. I want new characters with new designs and new personalities. I do not wish to see the same thing over and over again. If i want that, ill just play the game those characters feature in.

No. Unless it's a prequel or sequel--not saying that's what I want in the next FE at all, mind, but given an unconnecte world, I want a brand new, unconnected cast to fates. The 2nd gen children expies are especially bad because unlike inigo/owain/severa where at least they get some continuous character development, making not!versions of characters simultaneously don't do anything for the older characters and is a very lazy way to introduce new characters.

Just make new characters pls

Edited by Thor Odinson

Nope. I didn't find the majority of the Fates kids memorable, and a new cast of characters is what we need. Learn from your mistakes, don't put them in the next game to try and fix that mistake. Fates felt like it was trying to piggyback on the success of Awakening by shoving in some of the characters and somehow making them relevant, so no. Just make a new cast with new, memorable children.

I loved the Awakening Trio and their continued development in Fates. However, I am completely against the idea of IS using this again, especially since I really don't care much for Fate's kids as much as I did Awakening's.

Personally, I want the see the children system scrapped unless they properly want to do a two-generation game. I want classic Fire Emblem with fleshed out characters (having support options that make sense instead of ticking boxes), even if these characters rely on tropes for a "core personality". Give me paired endings that are not necessarily romantic, like in Sacred Stones. I rather have a smaller character cast that is good than a bunch of units that just fit tropes.

Again, no more returning characters in the core game for the sake of fanservice. I'm fine with Einherjar or DLC characters (like in Awakening), but for the core cast, I do not want to see crossover characters or returning characters unless there is a deliberate reason to do so, such as a sequel or prequel (Path of Radiance -> Radiant Dawn, Blazing Sword -> Binding Blade).

If the Fates children had been anywhere near as interesting as the Awakening children I would have said yes, but... as it stands... No. Nonononononononononono.

NO.

None of them are anywhere near as interesting as Odin or Laslow or Selena, and while I had legitimate interest in seeing how Odin, Laslow and Selena would function as parents, I have zero interest in seeing how any Fates child interacts with their own children. Granted, that's assuming the child system stays, but I think that's basically a certainty by now.

Edited by Alastor15243

Wow there are actually someone who voted "yes"? XDD

No, for reasons already stated by others. Though I don't really mind of some return as optional DLC, Spotpass and whatnot.

Children characters please no unless its like Genealogy of the Holy War. At least Heirs of Fate attempted sometihng similar to this by doing a mutli chapter arc DLC.

In short, no returning characters unless a sequel cause the kids were ok and not brilliant. If a sequel characters must be older.

On the other hand, I don't mind returning archetypes as long as personalities are tweaked and such, so they aren't expies. New game and new characters please.

I would be fine with the kids returning, but only if the game actually takes place in the fates world and if they fit into the story. Returning characters by themselves aren't a problem. The fe3 cast, the fe10 cast and some fe6 characters showed that.

I definately don't want to characters randomly getting dragged into other worlds just because they are popular though.

What, no option for "Svmcrew Fates characters, put Owain, Severa, and Inigo in every future game"?

Joking aside, no, I would much rather they have new characters, just like how as much as I like Awakening I'd rather have seen 6 other new characters.