If I were to play both FE 4 and 5 together, how should I go about that?

Replica Model

Since FE 5 takes place between chapter 5-9 in FE 4 which point in the story in FE4 would it be all right to stop playing it and go beat Thracia 776 and return to Seisen No Keifu for the full extent of the story? Now, I'm not actually doing this but I'm curious as to what point in the story would make the most sense for linking the two together.

I'm going by memory here but, at the end of Thracia, Leif joins the liberation force lead by Seliph to go defeat the Lopto Empire in Grandbell to end the war entirely. But he doesn't join until chapter 7 (at least is playable at chapter 7) and he's still defending Lenster Castle until the end of the chapter( the two also meet up at the end, I believe). So in terms of putting together the full canonically written story wouldn't it be better to play FE 4 up to you seizing the final castle in chapter 6 then play and conquer the absurdly difficult FE 5? Or would it be better to start Thracia as soon as you beat chapter 5 because the second generation takes place a year after the events of FE 5(which means that once Leif retakes Lenster and all of Thracia, he maintains the castle for a full year until Seliph arrives)? And the intro to Thracia 776 makes a direct reference to chapter 5 in FE 4, so does that make it canon to start directly after chapter 5? I'm at a loss as to where FE5 fits into the story.

I was curious about that as well. I suppose that you can do either way. I would play FEV directly after ch5 mostly for a more linear gameplay, also ch6 would be great to remind you that your main lord is now Celice!

I think another important thing would be inheritance. You should plan gen 1 parings in order to make the children as close to their FEV incarnation as possible.

Honestly just play FE5 after FE4, it feels weird bouncing back and forth between games, especially since you have to stop at a weird point in fe4 to continute the story.

FE5 is kind of like a gaiden chapter of FE4 anyway (plotwise).

1. From doing my first run of both as one giant game, start fe5 after fe4 chapter 5.

2. Then, once you get to fe5 chapter 20, switch back to fe4 and do chapters 6 and 7 (I only did 6).

3. Next, complete fe5.

4. Finally, finish fe4.

Edited by quasimopho13

In my only Thracia playthrough so far I played the First Gen of Holy War first and started the Second Gen after having finished Thracia. As mentioned above this helps keep the gameplay more localised and as far as starting points go everything feels like you're beginning a new adventure. The canon also doesn't even match up all that well which is very apparent when you play both at once. In Holy War Leinster actually get's seiged twice, once in Chapter 7 and then a second time in Chapter 8.Thracia definitely adapts the Chapter 7 siege since Celice appears at the end but the Chapter 8 seige just never happens. Which is a shame since it features Ishtar, Faval and the three mage sisters. I'm quite disapointed since the chapter directly preceeding the seige in Thracia is a generic open field level where they easily could have put those aforementioned characters in.

In addition to that, the way the paths are lined out in Holy War, the game quite heavily pushes Leif assaulting Connacht and receivng back up from Celice but in Thracia they criss cross paths for some reason and Celice's army takes on Connacht at the same time Leif is fufilling his plot in Manster (which also, obviously, isn't mentioned in Holy War).

TL:DR the Thracia plays it fast and loose with it's overlapping segments.

Edited by Jotari

That's a subject I like a lot. I thought about it since a long time so i'll give my version:

1. Play FE4 until chapter 5 ends.

2. Play FE5 until somewhere before chapter 14x ends*

3. Play FE4 chapter 6 until you liberate Ganeshire

4. Play FE5 right to the end of chapter 18

5. Play FE4 through the end of chapter 6

6. Play FE5 chapter 19

7. Play FE4 until you capture melgen castle

8. Play FE5 chapter 20

9. Finish FE4 chapter 7

From here, there are some inconsistencies because in FE5 Leif's group splits up from Seliph's army while in FE4 he has already joined him.

10. Play FE5 chapters 21, 22 and 23 or Play FE4 chapter 8 until you capture Conote

11. Play the part you didn't in 10

12. Finish FE5

13. Finish FE4

*The first hint about "what time it is in FE4" inside FE5 is at the end of chapter 14x after you fled Tahra. Levin appears to check how things are going in Thracia. After you conquer the first castle in FE4 chapter 6, Levin appears too and tell Seliph he has to go check on Thracia and other regions. After you capture Sophara or Isaach, he comes back. Meaning he made his whole trip during this time. The only thing we don't really know is at what time in FE5, Seliph began his liberation of Issach. And since the time that elapses during a chapter in FE4 is hard to define, I guess you can play chapter 6 when you want between FE5's chapter 1 and 14x.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard Thracia 776 takes place in 776, and ends in December. HOWEVER, FE4 Chapter 6 takes place in 777 starting in the beginning of the year.

If this is true then FE5 iss neatly and cleanly sandwitched between chapters 5 and 6. Anyone care to back my up on the dates to make sure im right or wrong?

I've heard Thracia 776 takes place in 776, and ends in December. HOWEVER, FE4 Chapter 6 takes place in 777 starting in the beginning of the year.

If this is true then FE5 iss neatly and cleanly sandwitched between chapters 5 and 6. Anyone care to back my up on the dates to make sure im right or wrong?

Fe5 quite clearly has events (like celic's army breaking the siege on lief's castle, or the liberation of manster.) that occur during chapters 7 and 8 of fe4. Celice's army actualy shows up in fe5, having just compleated most of chapter 7. Mush like the war ot 1812 (which lasted untill 1814), fe5 starts in the year for which it is named, and continues into 777. It thus starts before chapter 6, and lasts untill just before the end of chapter 8 (although lots of that takes place offscreen.

Personaly, i think that you should play through FE4 first. THere are things in fe5 (like a conversation where julius emotionaly manipulates ishtar) that make more sense if you have played fe4. More importantly, the games have different tones and scopes, and were designed to be enjoyed as wholes. Not to mention that it is confusing to switch between 2 sets of mechanics.

Edited by sirmola

Just clear GotHW and then move on to 776. I find that playing a Prequel or Midquel is much better in terms of story arc experience if you finish the previous game it's tied to first, because FE4 did come BEFORE FE5 so back in the day all the FE fans played FE4 first. It's rather odd to bounce from game to game like that, and most of the stuff that happens in FE5 gets summarized quite nicely in FE4 or isn't extremely relevant at all. FE5 didn't have the best story in my personal opinion, but it was saved because it was able to piggyback off of FE4's story and then had the ambush spawn RNG fisting to boost the difficulty in order to give seasoned players a kick. FE4 is a much better game than FE5 in my personal opinion, and I feel FE5 would be more properly enjoyed if you cleared FE4 first because that's how it was basically intended to be.

Well playing them separately is obviously the best thing to do, these two games, while strongly related have some plot inconsistencies so you can't tie them perfectly.

Still, OP was asking what is the best order if he still wishes to play these two games in the most chronological correct way possible...

Well playing them separately is obviously the best thing to do, these two games, while strongly related have some plot inconsistencies so you can't tie them perfectly.

Still, OP was asking what is the best order if he still wishes to play these two games in the most chronological correct way possible...

Its actualy hard to figure out the order because of the inconsistancies. In fe4, for example, conote is conquered before manster, and manster isn't even conquered. Sety has already liberated it for you. In fe5, those two castles are simultanious, and the entire endgame sequuence is conquering manster.

Yeah FE4's chapter 8 and FE5's chapters 21 till the end of the game is the part of the plot that is most inconsistent. But it is still possible to somewhat play them side by side pretending Leif, Nanna and Finn are not in your army in FE4. Technically, even in FE5 Conote is conquered before Manster. Remember at the end of the game? August or Delmud (can't remember who) announces to Leif that Seliph's army is on its way to Manster to help Leif finish the job. Then Leif talks about Seliph being able to break through Conote walls in only one day. So Seliph probably took Conote while Leif wasn't finished with Berdo in Manster.

Also, Ced defending an already conquered Manster from Thracian dragon/wyvern riders is also a part of FE5 in chapter 23. In FE4, it happens right after Conote is captured. That is why, earlier, i said you could play either FE4 chapter 8 up to Conote conquest or FE5 chapters 21, 22 and 23. Maybe playing FE5 21 and 22 first then conquering Conote in FE4 and then Finish Thracia 776 would be a better order in the end.