Is the NX in trouble?

The DanMan

With Sony confirming the PS4K earlier this month and Microsoft confirming Project Scorpio just minutes ago, it seems like if Nintendo's trying to be competitive with the NX they've lost their edge.

Scorpio is aiming for Holiday 2017, with the PS4K likely launching around a similiar time. With the NX launch during March 2017, it will be less than a year before it becomes part of the bottom-band console hardware- gee, that sounds awfully familiar.

Even though Scorpio (and most likely PS4K) don't mean a new generation, they'll still give devs much more to work with. The NX is most likely around vanilla PS4/Xbox One level- which wouldn't be an immediate issue, but definitely calls long-term 3rd party support into question.

So, thoughts? As you can probably infer from my above write-up, I'm expecting the NX to face similiar problems that the Wii U did in regards to 3rd-party- though to a lesser extent, due to existing models forming the baseline.

Nevertheless, outside of Nintendo upending all the rumors and releasing the NX on-par with the upcoming console iterations, I think the likelihood of Nintendo being competitive with the NX is very small.

how can a console be in trouble when its not even out yet and not properly revealed either

all of the info we have on it is mostly rumors and have no been confirmed by nintendo.... so until i see actual specs from nintendo i dont see the console having trouble right now....

Edited by animeapple

I think its already in trouble no matter what the competition do. The people Nintendo can trust to jump on it the fasted, the traditional fanbase is already feeling pretty burned at Nintendo abandoning the Wii-U so quickly. And if they will hesitate then who won't?

There is also no guarantee that Nintendo really learned from their poor handling of the Wii-u

I think its already in trouble no matter what the competition do. The people Nintendo can trust to jump on it the fasted, the traditional fanbase is already feeling pretty burned at Nintendo abandoning the Wii-U so quickly. And if they will hesitate then who won't?

There is also no guarantee that Nintendo really learned from their poor handling of the Wii-u

This, I won't be buying a NX until there is more then one game for it that I really want. I will be buying Zelda U for my Wii U and unless they get major 3rd party support right off the bat this time I have a hard time seeing NX doing better then Wii U.

I think they delayed saying anything about it untill they saw what Microsoft and Sony were doing with their mid generation systems

Microsoft just spilled the beans on what was inside their system

how can a console be in trouble when its not even out yet and not properly revealed either

all of the info we have on it is mostly rumors and have no been confirmed by nintendo.... so until i see actual specs from nintendo i dont see the console having trouble right now....

The rumors themselves generally come from reputable sources, and it makes sense that the NX would be about as powerful as currently-released hardware this gen. Taking things with a pinch of salt, it's highly unlikely that the NX was built to compete with hardware that only started being rumored a year before it comes out.

I think they delayed saying anything about it untill they saw what Microsoft and Sony were doing with their mid generation systems

Microsoft just spilled the beans on what was inside their system

Potentially. Trying to decide whether to focus on hardware or promoting software and gimmicks, most likely.

I'm not a person to buy Nintendo consoles in general; the biggest reason I bought a 3DS was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and a similiar release is what would get me to buy whateverthehecktheirnewhandheldwillbe.

Edited by The DanMan

I never had much faith in the NX since it was announced, I mean we don't know a thing about it at all. Let's be honest, the NX is Iwata's vision and as much as we all loved him, he didn't make the greatest choices with the Wii U. If Nintendo is really sticking with his vision for the NX, I'm worried to say the least. Nintendo better have some surprises for me because this could be the Wii U all over again if they go with under powered hardware.

The rumors themselves generally come from reputable sources, and it makes sense that the NX would be about as powerful as currently-released hardware this gen. Taking things with a pinch of salt, it's highly unlikely that the NX was built to compete with hardware that only started being rumored a year before it comes out.

Potentially. Trying to decide whether to focus on hardware or promoting software and gimmicks, most likely.

I'm not a person to buy Nintendo consoles in general; the biggest reason I bought a 3DS was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and a similiar release is what would get me to buy whateverthehecktheirnewhandheldwillbe.

no, you are jumping the gun here... wait for proper information

You're probably anticipating yourself. I'll wait for specs and library.

However I'm not super hyped about it so far.

I haven't been into consoles for a while apart from handhelds; are we supposed to be hyped for something we know next to nothing about? Doesn't that usually come afterwards when we see all the new possibilities and the potential lineup of games?

Anywho, I won't buy the NX until I know for sure there are a lot of good games to be had. I couldn't care less about how powerful the machine is as long as the software justifies the purchase.

They're going to wait until the Scorpio and Neo hype slows down. If they announce the NX now it would get lost among all the other stuff. The biggest thing they need to do is get good software. That's what crippled the Wii U, no third party support and until Smash/Mario Kart not a trove of first party winners either. Having good launch titles is the key to getting strong momentum.

Well, Ubisoft just announced Just Dance 2017 is coming to NX next year, likely as a launch title.

Looks like Nintendo can't keep holding 3rd parties on announcements, so we'll probably get news sooner than later (although as stated above, once Scorpio/Neo hype dies down).

Well, Ubisoft just announced Just Dance 2017 is coming to NX next year, likely as a launch title.

Looks like Nintendo can't keep holding 3rd parties on announcements, so we'll probably get news sooner than later (although as stated above, once Scorpio/Neo hype dies down).

isn't the Wii getting Just Dance 2017 as well

It's a little early to say, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the NX suffer from the same thing the Wii U and the Wii (outside of shovelware) did: lack of third-party support. That's not going to change the way Nintendo are right now - and they seem content with doing their own thing.

That said, I can't really say I have much faith in the success of the Neo and Scorpio either currently until we see more.

Edited by Tryhard

isn't the Wii getting Just Dance 2017 as well

Of course it is. It's where Just Dance sells best.

The point is that they specifically mentioned NX.

Idk, Nintendo has everything to do things right, not repeating the doomed move of the Wii U. They need a strong enough hardware, good marketing, a well-thought launch and a solid library to justify a customer to buy it. Else, gg.

at least we don't have to worry about Miamoto's "innovations" in the hardware department

I seriously have no idea why they put out the Wii U with such weak hardware when they KNEW their competition would be releasing their next system the very next year.

I do think Nintendo's in trouble. To even have a chance for the NX to succeed, they need to do everything right, but recently, Nintendo has shown that they can screw up big time when it comes to understanding the gaming community or the pulse of the market. They launched the Wii U with abysmal marketing seemingly assuming that everyone who had bought a Wii would do the jump, completely disregarding that a lot of Wii owners had bought it because of a fad and had now transitioned to tablets and mobile games. Then there's how they handled the whole situation on Youtube regarding Let's Plays.

I think one of the major thing hurting Nintendo is how they're perceived as the kiddy company. Nintendo put all the emphasis on creating a family friendly image, in hopes of having parents by their consoles, but recently, kids are more often playing mobile games than consoles. ''casual gamers'', a big part of the crowd that made the Wii a success have since moved away from consoles. Without saying that they should abandon making games for the whole family, I think Nintendo needs to develop more mature titles. Teenagers and young adults are the crowd that usually have the disposable income and free time necessary to spend a lot on gaming, so trying to develop games that appeal to them. It doesn't need to all be M rated gore fest, but I think they should abandon their mentality of 'we need a good innovation to revive a series or else we lay it lie' and put out games like Metroid Prime and F-zero. If they create a powerful console that's easy to develop to and are able to make people be interested in their consoles, 3rd parties will probably jump on board as well.

Problem is that they alienated that particular part of the community for years and now, their recent actions have alienated a lot of their own fans as well, the people who actually bought their console every time a new one was released. The only home consoles I ever owned were Nintendo one, but unless the NX comes out with a spectacular launch line-up, I don't see myself buying it until there are enough game that I want for it.

So considering that Nintendo has to be perfect on things they've had trouble being right on for the last few years, I can't say I'm optimistic about their chance of success unless they strike another gold mine with a gimmick.

I only have old consoles like the PSP and NDS Lite, so I'm not getting the NX at any cost, but I have hope that Nintendo will try making something more fit for mainstream gamers, but still make it feel ""Nintendo".