Would you like to see the Merlinus idea come back?

Jotari

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Merlinus come back?

• Yes, it was a creative way of including the convoy in gameplay.
    • No, it was more trouble than novelty. Convoy is better on the lord.
    • No, it's better if you can't access the convoy at all in battle.

it wasnt terrible but it wasnt an amazing idea either. like you only had to worry about moving him in a few chapters like cog of destiny, the chapter with limstella if yo're making everyone go up, and probably a few others i don't remember. the idea of protecting merlinus did not result in too many creative strategies like how the makers probably hoped for. the idea of protecting merlinus it was kinda just there

Edited by BerserkStaff

Convoy is better on the lord. FE6 Merlinus is especially terrible since he takes up a character slot, and has to get attacked by enemies to level up, but unlike FE1 Priests who had to do the same thing but got experience equivalent to if they killed the enemy, Merlinus only gets 1 exp per round of combat survived.

Convoy is better on the lord. FE6 Merlinus is especially terrible since he takes up a character slot, and has to get attacked by enemies to level up, but unlike FE1 Priests who had to do the same thing but got experience equivalent to if they killed the enemy, Merlinus only gets 1 exp per round of combat survived.

Haha. That's exactly why I included the sub question of what form would you like it to take. I really doubt anyone liked FE6 Merlinus over FE7. Personally I'm thinking if he could do some scratch damage, maybe with a bow or magic then people would be more inclined to the idea. Of course I'm not sure how that would work wil levelling up every chapter.

Haha. That's exactly why I included the sub question of what form would you like it to take. I really doubt anyone liked FE6 Merlinus over FE7. Personally I'm thinking if he could do some scratch damage, maybe with a bow or magic then people would be more inclined to the idea. Of course I'm not sure how that would work wil levelling up every chapter.

Honestly, if we got a convoy that wasn't the lord, but they could still fight, I'd be cool with that. I actually have a hack idea where Anna functions as the convoy, since given she's a Merchant she probably has to cart a ton of shit around all the time, but she'd still be a thief type class like she is in FE13/14, though I'd also make her charge money for picking locks, much like Volke in FE9.

I would like it if the convoy was an 'additional' unit that didn't take up a slot like Merlinus in FE7, but could move around the map normally from the start. It really doesn't make much sense logistically to have the convoy on the Lord.

I really doubt anyone liked FE6 Merlinus over FE7.

I prefer FE6 Merlinus's meatshielding and instant mobility over whatever FE7 Merlinus can do. In FE6 and 7 I usually just choose a few weapons that make sense in the battle preparations, but when I miss a weapon while playing through an FE7 map, Merlinus won't be anywhere where he could give me the item anyway. FE6 Merlinus can at least handily trade an item I forgot to another unit if he happens to be nearby and I had an overkill deployment slot (not awfully rare tbh) since he can actually take items out of the convoy on his own, FE7 Merlinus can't even carry anything in his inventory. Not like either is great, and I prefer it to be on the lord (realism be damned), but FE6 Merlinus functions better imo.

same thing but got experience equivalent to if they killed the enemy, Merlinus only gets 1 exp per round of combat survived.

Exp on Merlinus is the last thing I'd care about tbh, especially if I had to exchange the stuff mentioned above for it.

Edited by Gradivus.

It really depends on the form used, FE6's way was horrible while 7's wasn't that bad. I would like it if he could move from the get go, like in 6, but needing to survive 100 attacks just to level once is just stupid.

7 gave him an easier level method and a deploy slot reserved for him at the cost of the ability to move for the first twenty maps he survives.

Overall, if it's done right, it could be a very fun mechanic. If it's done as it was before, it could be too much of a hassle, and would be better off if there was a lord convoy.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I would like it if the convoy was an 'additional' unit that didn't take up a slot like Merlinus in FE7, but could move around the map normally from the start. It really doesn't make much sense logistically to have the convoy on the Lord.

This. I would prefer to abstain from making the Lord the Convoy. Where are those items and weapons? Does he have a wagon nearby? A bag? Lmao.

I'm fine with how they did it in PoR, a contract with travelling merchants (and Ilyana!!!) is the most logical of all options, or as FE10. Although I'd be fine if they do it like FE7 where the Convoy actually levelled up or something.

Besides I would like if the convoy, upon levelling, would increase the total amount of inventory and items, that'd be neat. Like start with a small wagon of 30 items max, then by lv 10 increase it to 50, promotes and it has a cap of 100 and by lv 30 or 35 gets a max of 200 or 150. The number of items will depend on the variety of weaponry, though.

If it has instant movement like in FE6 but levels up like in FE7 and does not take up a recruitment slot, sure, why the hell not. Otherwise, no. In my opinion, it was fun and TBH, I don't get how the MC carries around all the shit in the likes of Fates where the max is 500 items or in FEA where I believe the convoy was unlimited.

Convoy access is too situational for a dedicated unit imo. I only ever need it if I forgot to bring a dragonslayer or something, and even then it's better to have it on the lord, who is on the front lines and can probably reach the unit in need more easily. If it were to be reintroduced, a combination of FE6's and FE7's like others suggested would be they way to go, although I'm absolutely against giving them combat ability as they'd just sort of outclass other units in terms of who to invest in.

I'm pretty neutral about it, between options 1 and 2. I'd hate option 3, though.

I guess the tie goes to yes, since it adds a bit of realism, but if it does return, I want it to be like FE7 and not FE6.

I'm not sure, no battle convoy doesn't sound so bad. What's the point of being able to manage your items before the skirmish if you can use the convoy?

Things should always be sent to the convoy on overflow, but I never use it battle anyway.

I have never needed to use the convoy mid-battle so I'll guess I'll go with the third option.

You've never picked up something and sent it to the convoy? Ever? So you always carry 4 items on all of your units?

As for this, I don't really like any of the convoy systems. I feel like it should be a unit, but one that is different from other units. IE, itself up to become a more competent merchant, but has some form of self-defense. Like in the case of Fire Emblem now, it could be a permanently paired up unit that can't dual guard but has access to every item. That way, it keeps the whole "protect the merchant" mechanic without you simply ignoring the items. And a defeated merchant results in randomly losing items in the convoy from looters. That's the best I can think of without overhauling and making the merchant have a variety of mechanics present by no other unit.

I've sent items to the convoy, but I've never accessed it to get anything out of it during battle. Mainly because you can't access it during battle in either Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Considering I've created Wagon and War Wagon classes, I'd definitely like to see it return, and even be able to do combat. I felt too much pressure having to protect Merlinus all the time because he couldn't defend himself. And war wagons have been a thing in other games (like Age of Empires games).

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but maybe you could have the wagon and at the start of the map, decide which unit will be the one to man the convoy wagon. Maybe giving them a buff to defense and penalty to speed.

^ That'd be lame, limiting a unit's prowess to be the Convoy? I'd rather have FE9/10 Convoy system.

Edit: Ooooooor, make the merchant class exclusively be the convoy, else you're doomed. I don't like the Merchant or Apothecary class though, but I'd be fine if they're used to this.

Edit 2: In that way, the Merchant class might have a unique trait, like how Swordmasters have high avoid and crt and Berserkers have high crt.

Edited by Quintessence

I do like having the convoy and shopkeepers represented as actual characters. After all, an army is more than just its soldiers, it requires a lot of support. Plus it always seemed kinda weird that the lord could pull infinite items out of their... Well their something or other...

The one caveat I would like to add is that the convoy should be mobile from the get-go.