How do I use early game Healers Efficiently

Valkarian

I don't know why, but whenever I look at Serra vs Priscilla forum's, there's always those people that say that their healers were the first to promote. And here I am, by the time all my unit's are 20/5 (give or take), my healers are finally 10/1 or 10/3, with their stats being outclassed by Pent and Lucius.

Can anyone tell me how to use Healer's efficiently for my next run? Because right now, i'm leaning towards Lucius and Pent (both are at Rank A for Staves)as my main healers, and I really like Serra and Priscilla, despite the fact that they get benched by endgame.

Also it would be nice to hear everyone's opinion on about what time they promote Serra and Prissy.

Heal even the slightest scratch. If you've routed a map and all you have left to do is seize, take some time to healgrind. Arena abuse is also a great way to level your healers, as while they can't use the arena themselves, they can heal those who do between rounds, and all the while you're getting tons of cash for it. But seriously, if you just heal as much as possible, you shouldn't even need to promote them early, even if you don't arena abuse.

The healers are only the first to promote if you're going about "turtling" maps (taking them really slowly heal every wound, including level ups, before attacking each enemy). Nothing's wrong with doing that, of course, (unless you're doing a ranked playthrough), though it does have the potential to take the challenge away from the game, even on it's hardest difficulties.

they're also usually among the first to promote in ranked runs since combat units aren't deployed every map, and they get to spam barrier/torch etc staves.

Otherwise I can't see them promoting early.

spam torch staff every turn they're not healing in FOW maps and use physic often

This too. Basically, whenever you can use a staff, do so.

they're also usually among the first to promote in ranked runs since combat units aren't deployed every map, and they get to spam barrier/torch etc staves.

Really? I usually didn't promote Priscilla until fairly late game because I preferred the extra experience from staves, etc. Then again, I haven't completed a serious ranked playthrough since I was like 12/13 (back when I didn't touch Marcus, etc.) so maybe I'm completely wrong here.

it's normal especially on hard modes for healers to not have great stats when/if you promote them early. they're healers and what's great is that they don't steal combat experience. not this game because pent has a rank staves, healers that come early who don't fight, like saphy, moulder, fe11 lena, and malliesia if you use them tend to easily have the highest ranked staves pretty quickly allowing you to use warp, rescue, hammerne, fortify etc to help break the game even if their stats don't end up great

Edited by BerserkStaff

so should a leveled priscilla take Pent's spot?

Really, you should utilize both. Priscilla is on a horse so she arguably has better range than Pent. At 20/1 she matches Pent's staff range on average.

Honestly, I've never really gotten my healers to be higher in level than combat units on normal play. Even ranked runs, I never did, because I usually did something like saved a really powerful unit like Raven to get my EXP back up again.

I usually promote the units I'm sure I'll use late into the game first and then if I have enough promotion items I'll make my way down. I wouldn't promote Serra or Priscilla too early and I'd wait for them to get stronger before promoting.

On hard mode, combat exp is massively reduced, but staff exp isn't. Once you get the secret card, you can purchase Physic staves, Barrier staves, and Torch staves. With these, Serra and Priscilla start gaining exp way faster than any other unit.

I've never promoted healers first than combat units, but that's me because I don't do ranked runs. I generally promote them as soon as their combat stats are around 12-16 or more, I promote them by desert map or before. And as I have a preference towards magic users, I alternate them between a playthrough and another, but you can have a mage fighter and a healer for example, and be perfectly fine. Although the mage will surpass the healer, most likely.

I'm the type that doesn't spam staves and promote healers later. It's not a big deal. You don't want them in the front line anyway. Mounted healers are great because they can move further so there's also that.

Edited by Illiterate Scholar

If it helps, I usually focus on only one early healer, since staff exp gains are screwed. If I split the healing to two healers then they will be low leveled even if I spam the staffs. So it is really up to you to choose which healer to use, but use one!

As others have said, the best way to level up healers is to use Heal staves on even the slightest wounds. (This includes levelups in which HP is gained; that HP gain also provides an opportunity to heal.)

Even with a ranked run, it's less a question of how many turns you spend than what percentage of those turns gives your healers something to heal. In Lyn's tale alone, you can spend a total of 53 turns between the time you get Serra and the time you beat chapter 10 and still make the 5-star Tactics requirement. (I'll assume that the average player has better uses for Nils and wouldn't use him to give extra turns to Serra, so I'm disregarding that possibility except to note that it exists.) With nine wounds to heal every ten turns, Serra could get... 48*11=528 experience, or enough to reach level 6, even before Lyn's tale is over.